• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new car this weekend.

brpJK30.jpg

I never really like the saddle interior until I saw it in a white car. With the deal I got, I couldn't pass it up.

Grats, sexy car.

I think it looks good, but I thought the new Corolla looks good too (for what they are).

Log4Girlz

Retro does not equal old. A PT Cruiser is not a Cord.

There's good retro, bad retro and just ugly. The PT cruiser is just ugly. The old Camaro's headlights were not ugly, they were a good retro. This new Camaro is bad, cheap, ugly retro all in one neat package.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Drove the car down to Florida.

The wrap had to be removed within a few miles after I left hahaha. But it's okay, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, I was able to average 90MPH most of the way and not get stopped. And no rock chips. Tons of bugs, but I kept cleaning them off every rest stop.

It was ridiculously comfortable all the way through. No back cramping or leg cramping.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

I thought they were done with the shield design. Would look good if it wasn't the grill and 2006 headlights.

Anyways my Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings should be going on the car tomorrow as well as new ball joints. Can't wait! So excited:)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got a new car this weekend.

brpJK30.jpg

I never really like the saddle interior until I saw it in a white car. With the deal I got, I couldn't pass it up.

Nice. You will enjoy saddle when it's extra hot outside. I rented one of these and it was a blast. Door kind of intruded on my left leg though, while driving. Only flaw. Well, apart from PongDrive UI.

N-Bomb

I thought they were done with the shield design. Would look good if it wasn't the grill and 2006 headlights.

Anyways my Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings should be going on the car tomorrow as well as new ball joints. Can't wait! So excited:)

Woo! Mods!

Flo_Evans

I'm more interested in the fate of the grill. I'm assuming that Honda concept is an EV, yet it still has a large (fake) grill opening. Not really necessary without a gas motor to keep cool.

Wonder if they will stick around or go the way of tail fins.

ascii42

I'm more interested in the fate of the grill. I'm assuming that Honda concept is an EV, yet it still has a large (fake) grill opening. Not really necessary without a gas motor to keep cool.

Wonder if they will stick around or go the way of tail fins.

At the moment, they are a large part of brand identity, since most cars don't have hood ornaments anymore. They won't go away without that changing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man. I'm tired of all these swirlysharp body lines. Bring back the smooth, un-ornamented lines of the early 90s. (that were also cheaper to produce and repair)

98-99_Ford_Taurus_Sedan.jpg

2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-interior-3.jpeg

DAMMIT FORD YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. LISTEN TO N-BOMB!!

reilo

wait thats the new taurus? whats the difference from a fusion o_O

It's not the new Taurus. I'm just showing the evolution in design.

I don't even think that Civic concept looks good -- not one bit -- but the last thing we need to do is do anything relating to 80s/90s industrial design. By far the darkest time when it comes to design. Such an odd transitionary era.

AlphaSnake

N-Bomb can enjoy cars that look like toasters.

I'll enjoy cars that were actually created by a group of people who felt compelled to design something.

robox

they should re-release the e30. update the engine a bit and be done.
i'd certainly take one. moreso in wagon form.

edit: is it just me, or does the fusion already look dated?

reilo

Congrats, you found 5 decent to good looking cars (some of them highly modified and not even stock LOL) out of a pool of thousands.

Even then, almost all of those cars violate your "un-ornamented" and even the "smooth" argument.

Nissan_240SX_1.jpg

S14kouki.jpg

LOL

N-Bomb

Congrats, you found 5 decent to good looking cars (some of them highly modified and not even stock LOL) out of a pool of thousands.

Even then, almost all of those cars violate your "un-ornamented" and even the "smooth" argument.

Nissan_240SX_1.jpg

S14kouki.jpg

LOL

Where's the ornamentation there? Do you understand the difference without using hyperbole?

N-Bomb

Highly modified? No, I posted an S14 Silvia K's Aero (JDM, stock), Supra w/ aftermarket wheels, stock Jag, stock F355. All AFAIK.

Reilo posted an early 3rd gen 240SX (USDM) and a facelift 240SX (USDM) (Zenki and Kouki if they were JDM)

Kirby posted the S15 (JDM onry).

What's ornamental about the F355? It's all functional, and not really over the top at all.

reilo

Beyond ridiculous. You have huge 90s blinders on. Your entire argument hinges upon 5 or so select cars that you liked over the years -- and many of them one-off special versions that you can't even buy in the US, or even full out supercars here and there to make the argument that 90s design was overall better than today? Absolutely nuts and a clear cut example of selection bias.

N-Bomb

Beyond ridiculous. You have huge 90s blinders on. Your entire argument hinges upon 5 or so select cars that you liked over the years -- and many of them one-off special versions that you can't even buy in the US, or even full out supercars here and there to make the argument that 90s design was overall better than today? Absolutely nuts and a clear cut example of selection bias.

Many of them? I only listed 4 cars. None of them were one-offs. They were all available in the US to varying degrees. 2 of them were very affordable.

The Silvia K's Aero was just a trim level, like any other trim level, and not limited at all, or even super-expensive, if that's what you're referring to.

Were there ugly cars? Yes. Why would I show ugly cars to make my point? My point is that there are MORE ugly or ridiculous looking cars now. The midsize sedan segment is a good example of this.

I could've put the E36 3 series in there, the original SLK (tho it's a bit later in the decade), the 90s Eclipse/Talon...

(I'm trying not to go all-Japanese here, although they obviously had the talent and the will at the time)

reilo

The Prelude front-end is abysmal and the Lexus is an ugly car over all. The NB MX-5 doesn't even look as good as the NC.

And let's not forget what Toyota released in '99:

280px-2000-2002_Toyota_MR2_Spyder_--_11-26-2011.jpg

My point is that there are MORE ugly or ridiculous looking cars now. The midsize sedan segment is a good example of this.

Holy shit!

Mazda in 90s:

post-31100-0-91445700-1346264974.jpg

Mazda in 00s/Now:

Chevy in 90s:

chevrolet-impala-1995-1.jpg

chevrolet-impala-1999-2005008.jpg

Chevy now:

2014-Chevrolet-Impala-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Chrysler in 90s:

1999_chrysler_300m_special_100001835_s.jpg

Chrysler now:

Jaguar in 90s:

95xj6.jpeg

Jaguar now:

jaguar-xj_08blk_usa_opta.jpg

Cadillac in 90s:

1996_cadillac_deville_sedan_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Cadillac now:

2014atsv.jpg

2014-cadillac-cts-leak.jpg

Flo_Evans

Nostalgic for the 90's?

lol I don't even...

I'm just going to assume you are young and the 90's was when you first started getting into cars or something.

reilo

Nostalgic for the 90's?

lol I don't even...

I'm just going to assume you are young and the 90's was when you first started getting into cars or something.

I think most of us here are products of the 90s.

reilo

Barf. Although Pseudokirby made a pretty decent case for it.

The case that Toyota and Honda are releasing boring-as-sin cars today? At least Nissan is releasing interesting cars even if I'm not a big fan of their aesthetic.

His list also includes a Subaru... Subaru has made about two good looking cars in the company's lifetime.

Yeah, not gonna shed a tear for the fall from grace of Toyota and Honda anymore.

But all of those Japanese companies that used to be at the forefront of design in the 90s (lol!) have now been upended by the US' revival and replaced by South Korean manufacturers. I won't even get into how Audi and Jaguar are killing it as of late.

Let's also remember this: N-Bomb thinks the Ferrari F50 looks better than the LaFerrari.

AlphaSnake

Motherfucking titty christmas...what the hell is a Chrysler 300M doing on Laguna Seca? Hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom