• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
N-Bomb is the definition of oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg meme

No one is saying conform, but good God man...see the brighter side of things

Sailor

Beyond ridiculous. You have huge 90s blinders on. Your entire argument hinges upon 5 or so select cars that you liked over the years -- and many of them one-off special versions that you can't even buy in the US, or even full out supercars here and there to make the argument that 90s design was overall better than today? Absolutely nuts and a clear cut example of selection bias.

I don't understand your argument. I bet if we were in the 90's you'd be raving about how beautiful those cars are and how modulating the styling was compared to the 80's. Taste is subjective and fashion evolves over time. Part of the reason you think that the cars of today are infinitely better looking is because of society's influence.

Flo_Evans

I think most of us here are products of the 90s.

pfft!

80's MANG!

When cars had EDGES!

NIR954Y.jpg

pBk2Cwl.jpg

MDFzVaV.jpg

QyVspKn.jpg

lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't understand your argument. I bet if we were in the 90's you'd be raving about how beautiful those cars are and how modulating the styling was compared to the 80's. Taste is subjective and fashion evolves over time. Part of the reason you think that the cars of today are infinitely better looking is because of society's influence.

"If we were in the 90s" ??

We're not in the 90s... We are in the 2010s. We are discussing today's vehicle industrial design versus 90s vehicle industrial design.

You don't understand my argument, yet you make a completely baffling non-sequitur strawman. Who said the 80s had good design?

My argument is simple: industrial design today is leaps and bounds better over the 90s.

ascii42

I like the look of the new Impala, but in some ways, I'd rather have the '96 Impala SS. RWD...LT1...hard to argue with that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The case that Toyota and Honda are releasing boring-as-sin cars today? At least Nissan is releasing interesting cars even if I'm not a big fan of their aesthetic.

His list also includes a Subaru... Subaru has made about two good looking cars in the company's lifetime.

Yeah, not gonna shed a tear for the fall from grace of Toyota and Honda anymore.

But all of those Japanese companies that used to be at the forefront of design in the 90s (lol!) have now been upended by the US' revival and replaced by South Korean manufacturers. I won't even get into how Audi and Jaguar are killing it as of late.

Let's also remember this: N-Bomb thinks the Ferrari F50 looks better than the LaFerrari.

N-Bomb's memories are all glossy poster-based.

ascii42

Did anyone actually like the look of cars in the 80s or 90s? I distinctly remember seeing my Dad bring home a brand new Dodge Spirit and thinking it was ugly as sin, even then.

I remember when my Grandmother got an Oldsmobile Aurora and thinking it looked cool. Certainly an interesting design.

coldfoot

Banned
Did anyone actually like the look of cars in the 80s or 90s? I distinctly remember seeing my Dad bring home a brand new Dodge Spirit and thinking it was ugly as sin, even then.
I liked the low cowl heights and great visibility due to not having bullshit pedestrian safety requirements. Imagine what kinds of designs we could have now if automakers didn't have to abide by that garbage. Look at the Peugeot 106 GTi for example:
106-gti-side.jpg

Still can't figure out how the window goes down on that car, it looks bigger than the metal part of the door!

coldfoot

Banned
If you care about pedestrian safety, don't hit them. I'm sure the pollution resulting from the extra fuel consumption that comes with using heavier, higher cowl cars plus accidents caused by poor visibility due to car design has killed more people than actual accidents where pedestrian safety has made a difference.

Sailor

"If we were in the 90s" ??

We're not in the 90s... We are in the 2010s. We are discussing today's vehicle industrial design versus 90s vehicle industrial design.

You don't understand my argument, yet you make a completely baffling non-sequitur strawman. Who said the 80s had good design?

My argument is simple: industrial design today is leaps and bounds better over the 90s.

What the heck? That's exactly my point. You're blasting the other poster for thinking that the 90's had a good car design because you think that the current industrial design is miles better. I'm saying that your opinion is slightly skewed by society because these cars are seen as attractive today by the general mass.

J-Rzez

7a050b78d39111e19f001231380fbca8_7.jpg

These held up to the test of time even in comparison to today's cars. The interior is dated, sure, but the styling of the MKIV is a work of art. It's sad to see that Toyota could make awesome cars if they wanted to, but they choose not to anymore.

N-Bomb

I remember when my Grandmother got an Oldsmobile Aurora and thinking it looked cool. Certainly an interesting design.

Too much to respond to here, but I'll say that the 90s Civic was much better looking than the current one, and the first gen Mazda 6 over the new one.

SPEED LINES. SPEED LINES EVERYWHERE.

7a050b78d39111e19f001231380fbca8_7.jpg

These held up to the test of time even in comparison to today's cars. The interior is dated, sure, but the styling of the MKIV is a work of art. It's sad to see that Toyota could make awesome cars if they wanted to, but they choose not to anymore.

I never really liked the fat ass on the MkIV, but it's a vision compared to most modern cars.

From the first day I saw it until today, I've thought the MkIV Supra with its swoopy lines and basket-handle wing have looked ridiculous.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you care about pedestrian safety, don't hit them. I'm sure the pollution resulting from the extra fuel consumption that comes with using heavier, higher cowl cars plus accidents caused by poor visibility due to car design has killed more people than actual accidents where pedestrian safety has made a difference.

The safety demands came from commerce, not nanny statism. You can bet that if the insurance bills weren't higher for wedge shaped low slung death machine impacts, the regulation wouldn't have come as quickly, or at all.

I don't like it, but it's based on data, not paranoia.

robox

i'd say 80s design was better. the straight lines and boxy looks had more character than the melty blobs of the 90s. the supra falls into that category. and worse, it's an obese looking blob. the headlights on that are especially terrible. no design there at all.

coldfoot

Banned
The safety demands came from commerce, not nanny statism. You can bet that if the insurance bills weren't higher for wedge shaped low slung death machine impacts, the regulation wouldn't have come as quickly, or at all.
I see, thanks for the clarification.
I'd still be happier with a mandatory pain-inducing device for all cars that would give you the sensation of pain if you weren't paying attention to driving, though. That would really drive those insurance costs down.
And the Robocop 2 anti-theft device.

asdad123

Anyone here own an Audi q5? I'm looking to pick up a new car around October (little early graduation gift to myself) and want to get a higher end SUV. Once this semester is over, I'll be going to dealerships for some test drives, but I've really heard nothing bad about the Q5. Wondering if anyone here drove one.

I've been looking at certified q5s and 2010s with about 25k miles go for about $33k with the premium plus package (hopefully around 30k with haggling) which is very affordable for me. Hopefully by the time I'm picking one up, certified 2011s will be around that price.

Any other suggestions for similar cars under 35k?

Ill be trading in a car that'll hopefully net me about 15k trade in and will have another 5-10k as a down payment.

Anyone?

reilo

What the heck? That's exactly my point. You're blasting the other poster for thinking that the 90's had a good car design because you think that the current industrial design is miles better. I'm saying that your opinion is slightly skewed by society because these cars are seen as attractive today by the general mass.

No, not at all. You are projecting. My opinions on design are formed through various different means.

Too much to respond to here, but I'll say that the 90s Civic was much better looking than the current one, and the first gen Mazda 6 over the new one.

SPEED LINES. SPEED LINES EVERYWHERE.

I'd love to meet these mythical unicorns that think a Crossfire is a good looking car.

I see, thanks for the clarification.
I'd still be happier with a mandatory pain-inducing device for all cars that would give you the sensation of pain if you weren't paying attention to driving, though. That would really drive those insurance costs down.
And the Robocop 2 anti-theft device.

The NHTSA and European regulatory bodies that buy these cars and test them for safety have a lot to do with it. If anything, they probably don't gather enough data.

It's sad to see that Toyota could make awesome cars if they wanted to, but they choose not to anymore.

ahem
fdirwindalelot07.jpg

fdirwindalelot30.jpg

but NOTHING beats this design
fdirwindalelot09.jpg

sexier than the MKIV Supra

also not sure why people can compliment the Supra, but put down the Soarer, they share so much.

TylerD

This isn't a great thread to ask for car advice. In fact, most of the time... it is complete shit.

I am surprised that no one answered your question about the Q5 seeing how Audi is completely killing and at a level of marquee that encourages heavy masturbation.

koryuken

Hi guys, I would love some advice.

We are in the process of purchasing a car for my wife and our budget is 30k. My wife wants a smaller car, but one that is comfortable and safe. We are looking in the luxury segment, ~2 years used with low miles.

Here are our current choices:

Audi A3: Nice car, still need to test drive.
+Can get one with low miles for 22-23k, we will have more cash in the bank.
+Good engine with turbo.
-Front Wheel Drive.
-Poor gas mileage.
http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/s/b/2/la11_a3etron.JPG

Lexus IS250: Nice car, still need to test drive.
+Can get one with low miles for 22-23k, we will have more cash in the bank.
+Rear wheel drive.
-Not visually appealing to us, a bit bland.
-Ok gas mileage.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/03/03-lexus-is250-awd.jpg

Lexus 200H: Test drove and loved it. Our top choice.
+Looks great drives great. Will save us money in long term b/c its hybrid. (We love the looks and the storage space!)
+Great gas mileage.
-Cheapest we can find this car is 28k, so this is the biggest dent to our savings.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Lexus_CT_200h_Geneva.jpg

Can any gaffers who own/have experience with these cars give some input? Are there any cars in this segment that we should also look at?

Thanks in advance!

Any advice GAF?

reilo

Pretty sure the convertible didn't fix that hideous front end, though.

koryuken

Does your wife actually care that the A3 is FWD? In fact, does she care about how the car drives at all?

The Lexus CT 200h is probably your best bet. Comfy, safe, hybrid MPG, Toyota reliability, etc.

Maybe look at an Acura TSX while you're at it.

My wife prefers the lighter steering cars vs something like a BMW. I am not sure how the A3 stacks in that area.

Personally, I would love it if she drove a Quattro. (but need to ask he if she has a preference). Seattle gets a lot of snow on occasion, so it would be great to have a back up. I drive an Infinity M35 RWD and this thing does not have a prayer in the snow. I've noticed that A3 Quattro's are a bit hard to find though.

PS. Thanks for the TSX suggestion.

coldfoot

Banned
Still really lost on how you can find the IS250 bland but 200H good looking, preference for hatchbacks perhaps?
Also why is rear wheel drive a plus where it's obvious that your wife doesn't really like being involved with driving (preference of Lexus + "light steering")

Does your wife actually care that the A3 is FWD? In fact, does she care about how the car drives at all?

The Lexus CT 200h is probably your best bet. Comfy, safe, hybrid MPG, Toyota reliability, etc.

Maybe look at an Acura TSX while you're at it.

The 2.0T is FWD I think, the only one that comes with the 6 speed

the V6 has AWD but is only Automatic, unless they've changed this recently..

koryuken

Still really lost on how you can find the IS250 bland but 200H good looking, preference for hatchbacks perhaps?
Also why is rear wheel drive a plus where it's obvious that your wife doesn't really like being involved with driving (preference of Lexus + "light steering")

Perhaps -- I am not sure myself since I have not been one for hatchbacks for a long time. My wife has also only driven sedans. Maybe we just both like the lines of the 200h??

IMO rear wheel drive is generally a plus because there is no torque steer.

mooooose

Well at the suggestion of someone in this thread, I just bought a 1996 Geo Prizm with 80k miles for $2500. Car is basically mint, both the interior and outside look new and mostly everything is original.

When I was driving it though the owner mentioned to watch the engine doesn't get too hot. We drove for like a half hour or so and brought it to my house but I can't drive it right now because I don't have plates/insurance. I didn't think to ask him why should I worry about that? I DID notice however that the engine stayed cool the entire time, so why did he bring it up?

The car was his fiance's grandparents' car and was garaged and barely used. But now I'm nervous that something could be wrong with it. I checked the oil, transmission fluid, etc. and all was good. But this dude has me freaked out now.

Any advice? I'm super stoked to finally have a car again and this car is seemingly going to be a great car.

N-Bomb

When I was driving it though the owner mentioned to watch the engine doesn't get too hot.

Any advice? I'm super stoked to finally have a car again and this car is seemingly going to be a great car.

Mighta just been giving you some 'no shit' advice. However, if you're really concerned, you could consider getting a proper temp gauge.

Also consider getting the coolant flushed and filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom