• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience or just opinions on the 4-cylinder Accord Coupe?

It seems to be in a weird place because it doesn't have the performance of a (more expensive) coupe.

Does anyone even buy coupes anymore? Just the two of us, but are they still a pain even if you're not driving people around? I've never owned one, always sedans.

Basically I really want a Honda/Accord for reliability and my wife wants something fun/sporty while we're young and before we have kids, thought it might be a good compromise.

Opinions welcome.

To move up my work hours, avoid traffic and get something badass or sleep in, got in during rush hour but use the carpool lane because i have an electric car...decisions :(

ascii42

It seems to be in a weird place because it doesn't have the performance of a (more expensive) coupe.

Does anyone even buy coupes anymore? Just the two of us, but are they still a pain even if you're not driving people around? I've never owned one, always sedans.

Basically I really want a Honda/Accord for reliability and my wife wants something fun/sporty while we're young and before we have kids, thought it might be a good compromise.

Opinions welcome.

Visibility is generally worse with coupes.

Opinions welcome.
I have the 08 4cyl. It's ok for performance (sort of what you expect for mid size 4 cylinders) and good enough for you average usage. If pushed, the motor can keep up (as long as you aren't scared of the engine revs up to 7000+, which sounds awesome if you are into that?)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
These days, we've seen just about every automaker dropping cylinders in an effort to appease tightening fuel economy and emission standards – and Porsche is no exception. Nearly three years after introducing an all-new V6 powerplant under the front hood of its Panamera sedan (launched with a range of V8 engines) comes word that Porsche is working on an all-new turbocharged flat-four boxer to replace the flat-six engines mid-mounted in its Cayman and Boxster models.

:(

I have the 08 4cyl. It's ok for performance (sort of what you expect for mid size 4 cylinders) and good enough for you average usage. If pushed, the motor can keep up (as long as you aren't scared of the engine revs up to 7000+, which sounds awesome if you are into that?)

Is the road noise / ride as sub-par as the reviews indicate?

Accord coupes start at low mid 20k right? Why not look at other sporty cars within that range too?

I guess because I've always known Accord to be in a class of its own when it comes to low maintenance costs.

ah. accord coupes are good cars, dad had one. Was great until a tire blew up and it flipped onto its back and almost killed my mom on a mountain :(

not to deter you though! I still think getting a low powered coupe is kinda pointless. 4 door sedan is more practical.

mernst23

Maybe someone who's better with cars can answer this question for me. I just got a new set of summer tires today (slightly less than 45k on my stock set which were bald as hell). If the alignment didn't seem to be an issue on my previous set, does that mean I can postpone doing a wheel alignment until my next oil change (roughly 1000 miles or 5 weeks away)?

Or is it one of those things where it's just worth doing asap so I don't get concentrated wear?

kagete

ASAP (but really it's part of the install process if you buy from a chain anyway). Your tires would have spun a million times by that next time you mentioned.

Is the road noise / ride as sub-par as the reviews indicate?
With my 08, it's on par with most cars of the ones I had tried at the time. But I think some of the road noise issue is actually greatly attributed to the stock tires. Switching to winters dropped the road noise significantly.

It's a stiffer ride compared to your average family sedan, but I think that was the entire point of it being more "sporty".

KingRAW

Neo Member
Can I ask why you think the Soarer is ugly?

I take offense at that comment. I have an SC400, and despite that fact it's only packing a 250hp V8, it still get's going for a heavy car.

um....that offset is not that aggressive. And that drop is not crazy either...

I don't follow...

An FD sit's low in stock form. A slightly larger wheel would have made more sense. I don't understand why someone would want no wheel clearence in a sports car.

With my 08, it's on par with most cars of the ones I had tried at the time. But I think some of the road noise issue is actually greatly attributed to the stock tires. Switching to winters dropped the road noise significantly.

It's a stiffer ride compared to your average family sedan, but I think that was the entire point of it being more "sporty".

Thank you.

I take offense at that comment. I have an SC400, and despite that fact it's only packing a 250hp V8, it still get's going for a heavy car.

Offence to my comment? I have an SC400 as well, traded my MR2 Turbo for it

I really love this car, but it is going to take a number of things to get it right, one of them being a manual transmission.

Luckily there are a good number of manual options available for swap :)
img3211hs.jpg

not my car, just a fine example

J-Rzez

fr-s needs a paperbag over the face, but the ass is fine...

Is there a reason why the key fob of cars at toyota dealers still say supra on them?

And a couple extra hamsters on the wheel...

But wait, what about those fobs?

I know Toyota is probably working on a Supra after the success of the 86 especially, and they did trademark it again lately. I'm excited, and yet very scared of what they'll do to the Supra name. : /

:(

Where is this quote from?

I believe an article from autoblog.

nayrac

My wife prefers the lighter steering cars vs something like a BMW. I am not sure how the A3 stacks in that area.

Personally, I would love it if she drove a Quattro. (but need to ask he if she has a preference). Seattle gets a lot of snow on occasion, so it would be great to have a back up. I drive an Infinity M35 RWD and this thing does not have a prayer in the snow. I've noticed that A3 Quattro's are a bit hard to find though.

PS. Thanks for the TSX suggestion.

I have an A3. The steering is much lighter than a BMW. It's about the same as an Impreza if that helps.

Here's some stuff to avoid with an A3:

DSG transmission - it insists on shifting into first while slowing. Since it's an automated manual unit that means you get a very abrupt engine brake. My wife voices her displeasure with this constantly. If you drive one that's smooth it means the values have been reset recently. For whatever reason the trans learns to be idiotic over time. I've had it reset a few times now. Each time it's really nice for about a week. Get a manual or a different car.

Radio - do not get the Bose w/ navigation combo. It comes with AutoPilot which adjusts the volume to compensate for ambient noise. You can't turn this off. In addition, it ignores what volume you had the radio on when the car was turned off and puts it to whatever volume it wants. Usually loud.

I test drove the TSX wagon, 3 series wagon, Volvo C30, Audi A4 Avant, Lexus CT200h, and Subaru Impreza.

TSX was nice but completely devoid of character. The seats were iffy as well. I can't quite put my finger on it but it felt like they wanted to push you forward. Couldn't get comfy.

3 series I liked a lot but it felt a little too stiff for me. No other complaints. The new model is supposed to be more friendly.

Volvo C30 was my favorite to drive. If it had 4 doors I would have bought it. Told the salesman if the V40 was for sale in the US I would have handed him money. If I didn't have children this was the one.

Audi A4 Avant had infuriating controls. Where are the heated seat buttons? Oh, you go into the menu? Which makes the radio/nav/whatever else you're looking at go away to show a big virtual dial with 6 settings? Nit pick? I guess. Still hate it.

Lexus CT200h was slow, too small, and what's up with that stupid joystick looking shifter(?) Couldn't see out the back either.

Subaru Impreza had no issues I could come up with other than I was coming from an Impreza and wanted something different. Really can't beat it if you want affordable, reliable AWD.

tl:dr - don't get an A3 unless you get a manual w/o Bose/Nav.

yeah... the key fob keychain thing attached to the key I was testdriving at atlanta toyota had supra engraved on it.

my mind may have been doing funky business though. Aren't Toyota planning on turning the gt86 into a platform? It's not hard to imagine a bigger one with the supra label.

Hey question for those of you who own a sports car and live where it snows.

How do sports cars handle in the snow? Living in Chicago and considering a Mustang or Camero so this is kinda big.

Also, if you have a convertible in a snowy city, how do they hold up?

Rad Agast

yeah... the key fob keychain thing attached to the key I was testdriving at atlanta toyota had supra engraved on it.

my mind may have been doing funky business though. Aren't Toyota planning on turning the gt86 into a platform? It's not hard to imagine a bigger one with the supra label.

The Supra will most likely be based on the collaboration with BMW. If that is the case then it will be its own platform.

Supposedly, the new Z4 from BMW will be based on the FT86 platform.

Nothing is clear yet so take it all with a pinch of salt.

mernst23

How do sports cars handle in the snow? Living in Chicago and considering a Mustang or Camero so this is kinda big.

I live in the Chicago area and I have a 2010 Camaro with an RS package. My tires sidewalls are tiny and with 20 inch wheels I get zero traction in snow and drive a 2001 Olds during snow days.

I have seen people driving camaros in winter but my guess is they are running with the LS 17 inch wheels with snow tires or the 1LT with 18in wheels and snow tires.

You could certainly drive a Mustang or Camaro during winter, but you'd want to get some good snow tires mounted on as small as rims as you can fit. There are a few things to consider besides traction though- ground clearance, the effect of the snow and weather on the cars body and interior, and the potential for getting damaged by other drivers.

J-Rzez

Since you get shitty weather like I deal with every year, I'd recommend a WRX/EVO. Their performance is comparable, and when you throw a set of snow tires on them, you will never-ever have as much fun driving in the snow. Though they're not "sports cars", but neither are the Mustang and Camaro. I dealt with two, albeit older Camaros, and they're not fun in the snow. You can get around as long as the roads are plowed, but it's not that fun. Now, plowed and not roads, AWD turbo machines are the way to go if you want a fast car, but need an everyday car at the same time in areas with shitty winters. If you have to only deal with flat roads, then you might get away with a pony car, with snow tires and the snow's not deep enough to beach you. If you have hills though, or drive through the mountains like I do, then they are out of the question.

Since you get shitty weather like I deal with every year, I'd recommend a WRX/EVO. Their performance is comparable, and when you throw a set of snow tires on them, you will never-ever have as much fun driving in the snow. Though they're not "sports cars", but neither are the Mustang and Camaro. I dealt with two, albeit older Camaros, and they're not fun in the snow. You can get around as long as the roads are plowed, but it's not that fun. Now, plowed and not roads, AWD turbo machines are the way to go if you want a fast car, but need an everyday car at the same time in areas with shitty winters. If you have to only deal with flat roads, then you might get away with a pony car, with snow tires and the snow's not deep enough to beach you. If you have hills though, or drive through the mountains like I do, then they are out of the question.

how are stock EVOs as daily commuters? Only one i've ridden in was a friend's and the ride was awful (could be due to what dumb ricer things he did to it though).

Shapingo

how are stock EVOs as daily commuters? Only one i've ridden in was a friend's and the ride was awful (could be due to what dumb ricer things he did to it though).

LOL, you will get an average of 16mpg, maybe 200 miles out of a full tank, get to know every pot hole on every street you drive on, pay an excessive amount of insurance, but will love every second of driving it.

J-Rzez

LOL, you will get an average of 16mpg, maybe 200 miles out of a full tank, get to know every pot hole on every street you drive on, pay an excessive amount of insurance, but will love every second of driving it.

I remember the days when my Evo got those em pee gees. Long gone.

I used mine as such since I bought it new in '04, not a single complaint outside of the interior being extremely dated these days, but it's fun factor vastly outweighs that. I'm pretty special though...

Honestly, if you're worried about ride, you might be better off looking into some Audi's or BMWs. These cars ride rough for a purpose.

KingRAW

Neo Member
Offence to my comment? I have an SC400 as well, traded my MR2 Turbo for it

I really love this car, but it is going to take a number of things to get it right, one of them being a manual transmission.

Luckily there are a good number of manual options available for swap :)
img3211hs.jpg

not my car, just a fine example

LOL! No I took offense that he said Lexus are ugly. You have a clean ride.

koryuken

I have an A3. The steering is much lighter than a BMW. It's about the same as an Impreza if that helps.

Here's some stuff to avoid with an A3:

DSG transmission - it insists on shifting into first while slowing. Since it's an automated manual unit that means you get a very abrupt engine brake. My wife voices her displeasure with this constantly. If you drive one that's smooth it means the values have been reset recently. For whatever reason the trans learns to be idiotic over time. I've had it reset a few times now. Each time it's really nice for about a week. Get a manual or a different car.

Radio - do not get the Bose w/ navigation combo. It comes with AutoPilot which adjusts the volume to compensate for ambient noise. You can't turn this off. In addition, it ignores what volume you had the radio on when the car was turned off and puts it to whatever volume it wants. Usually loud.

I test drove the TSX wagon, 3 series wagon, Volvo C30, Audi A4 Avant, Lexus CT200h, and Subaru Impreza.

TSX was nice but completely devoid of character. The seats were iffy as well. I can't quite put my finger on it but it felt like they wanted to push you forward. Couldn't get comfy.

3 series I liked a lot but it felt a little too stiff for me. No other complaints. The new model is supposed to be more friendly.

Volvo C30 was my favorite to drive. If it had 4 doors I would have bought it. Told the salesman if the V40 was for sale in the US I would have handed him money. If I didn't have children this was the one.

Audi A4 Avant had infuriating controls. Where are the heated seat buttons? Oh, you go into the menu? Which makes the radio/nav/whatever else you're looking at go away to show a big virtual dial with 6 settings? Nit pick? I guess. Still hate it.

Lexus CT200h was slow, too small, and what's up with that stupid joystick looking shifter(?) Couldn't see out the back either.

Subaru Impreza had no issues I could come up with other than I was coming from an Impreza and wanted something different. Really can't beat it if you want affordable, reliable AWD.

tl:dr - don't get an A3 unless you get a manual w/o Bose/Nav.

Thanks a lot for the writeup, really helpful. We plan on test driving some cars this weekend!

N-Bomb

um....that offset is not that aggressive. And that drop is not crazy either...

It's not agressive if you have no pelvis, sure. Why bother even having a suspension? Who needs travel! Just jack that thing on some steel rods and call it a job done.

if you could own any car throughout history BRAND NEW, which would it be?

were talking 0 Miles in whatever trim you want.

Tough. Either an Impreza 22B or an FD. Most of my dream cars are not ones I'd actually want to own or drive daily - these I would drive alldayerrday.

It's not agressive if you have no pelvis, sure. Why bother even having a suspension? Who needs travel! Just jack that thing on some steel rods and call it a job done.

Some of you guys are hilarious...you're making it sound like that RX7 is being driven on the frame rail. It's not even tucking... +22 offsets are not aggressive...I just don't see the "hellaflush" look. It's stanced and looks good (too me anyways)...

R34 Skyline V-Spec. I would do terrible things for one. Terrible, terrible things.

Co-signed!

GTR34's are legal in Canada next year... I can't wait to see them out in the wild.

So I think I'm going to go after that Accord Coupe. I've never negotiated a price before.

They're asking just under 19k for it. It's a CPO.
Edmunds True Value has a CPO of 19k, dealer retail of 18k, and a private party of under 17k.

Thing is, I found an eBay listing from this same dealership of another Accord Coupe (same year, just 10k more miles) that sold within the last week and was listed for 17k.

So, they're asking 19k. Looks like they sold one with just a few more miles for 2k less. Edmunds is kind of in the middle.

What should I start off with in negotiating?

That's R35 money up here in Canada... and being in Canada the car is banned. Fucking stupid import laws. I see R32s around though.

Edit- 2 more years of waiting to import the 99 R34 to Canada: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html

The good news for you is the yen has significantly declined in value in the past year. If it's the same or down even further, you'll be able to pick up something really nice for a great price. If the yen was where it is now vs when I bought, I definitely could have got a higher spec car for the same price, or a nur if I bumped up how much I wanted to spend. But at the time the nur was 2x what I paid for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom