• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
So I traded in my 2007 350z and picked up one of these today...

(2013 Subaru Impreza WRX Special Edition - Before I had the 350z I had a 2006 STI. I always regretted getting rid of that car)

Congrats on the car, while its looks are not an improvement over the 350z, at least you can rationalize the lack of style by having 4 doors and AWD. 350Z/370Z owners can't say that :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Just off the trailer:
b6fc78ed-b83b-4488-b30e-e1061129feb6.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
America, meet the lowest priced car on sale that has Xenon (HID) headlamps standard...the Kia Forte EX with navigation package.
HID headlamps are something that is crucial to me when buying a car and while I would not buy this class of car, it's good to see that someone is listening. The new Nissan Pathfinder is garbage because no HID's are available for instance.

N-Bomb

So I traded in my 2007 350z and picked up one of these today...

(2013 Subaru Impreza WRX Special Edition - Before I had the 350z I had a 2006 STI. I always regretted getting rid of that car)

Nice! Welcome back to Scoobygaf!

Damn my office and all these photobucket pics. Why does no one use imgur? :(

Yeah morons, stop using shitty image hosts. There's no reason NOT to use imgur.

America, meet the lowest priced car on sale that has Xenon (HID) headlamps standard...the Kia Forte EX with navigation package.
HID headlamps are something that is crucial to me when buying a car and while I would not buy this class of car, it's good to see that someone is listening. The new Nissan Pathfinder is garbage because no HID's are available for instance.

Just buy a second set of housings and get them HID retrofitted - this works on pretty much ANY car and will run you under $1000 w/ the housings included. This way you can always swap back easily in case of warranty concerns or what have you.

Atenhaus

So, CarGAF, I drove something magical over the weekend. A close family friend bought one of the 500 MINI Cooper S JCW GPs bound for the US. I spent most of Saturday afternoon driving it on twisty foothill roads. The power delivery was immediate and the handling was amazing. It was so poised with no discernable body roll and steering feedback was great. Overall it's an amazing car. I just wouldn't pay nearly $40k for one, but my friend is a diehard MINI fan. So I digress. ;)

coldfoot

Banned
Just buy a second set of housings and get them HID retrofitted - this works on pretty much ANY car and will run you under $1000 w/ the housings included. This way you can always swap back easily in case of warranty concerns or what have you.
Fucking with a brand new car is a big no-no. I don't want condensation in my headlamps, let alone the warranty issue. If it doesn't have HID's from factory, it's garbage and off the list. That's why BRZ>FRS

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Why? I'm curious. Safety?

N-Bomb

Fucking with a brand new car is a big no-no. I don't want condensation in my headlamps, let alone the warranty issue. If it doesn't have HID's from factory, it's garbage and off the list. That's why BRZ>FRS

This is why I said get a second set of housings. And if they're retro'd properly, there will be no condensation. Don't be Enron.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Kia is kind of cheapening the allure of HIDs. I mean it's not very special if your run of the mill Kia has it.

That said, it's still a million times more preferable to those shitty HID retrofits in reflector headlamp housings that people do ugh. They should get pulled over for that shit.

I'm probably gonna put HIDs in my Volt once my HIRs burn out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Finally got everything squared up with my car...

Front bumper is fixed, fuel injectors cleaned, rear brakes done, radiator cap wasn't holding pressure and was leaking coolant so that was replaced, oil change, and CAI filter replaced.

Now I can go on a proper roadtrip down the 101 whenever I choose this summer.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nope, it's factory or bust when it comes to exterior stuff. Anything else is just garbage.

Indeed.

And cars that don't come with xenons from the factory are often fitted with reflector housings and retrofitting reflector housings with xenons is a crime. Some cars have used xenons with reflector housings (Maxima/I35), but the light output isn't very good, but at least those housings were designed for xenon use.

The same cannot be said about any car that comes with halogen lights , you can't simply just drop a pair of xenons into it. If there is a projector in the housings, then that projector was designed for halogen bulbs and will likely blind the shit out of everyone with xenons.

N-Bomb

Indeed.

And cars that don't come with xenons from the factory are often fitted with reflector housings and retrofitting reflector housings with xenons is a crime. Some cars have used xenons with reflector housings (Maxima/I35), but the light output isn't very good, but at least those housings were designed for xenon use.

The same cannot be said about any car that comes with halogen lights , you can't simply just drop a pair of xenons into it. If there is a projector in the housings, then that projector was designed for halogen bulbs and will likely blind the shit out of everyone with xenons.

I don't think you understand what an HID retrofit is. It's not just dumping HID bulbs and balasts into a reflector housing. Yes, only idiots do that, and I wish them the flames of hell.

In a retrofit, they split the housing, clean things up, install HID projectors (generally Bi-Xenon to preserve Hi/low beam, but depends on the housing), shrouds, aim and align everything, seal up the housings, and bam, done. All very clean, very professional (if you don't choose a crap shop). If you don't like the reflectors shining in there, they can even paint them for you to hide them. So many options.

Miata
attachment.php

Prelude
attachment.php

Civic
attachment.php

Really considering getting mine done, but the light output doesn't currently bug me, so I can wait.

Watevaman

It's a shame proper HID retrofits are few and far between here. Every ricer that does it doesn't seem to care they blind the world.

sfedai0

Banned
So my car lately has been sluggish to start. Kinda chugs when I turn the ignition. But idle is fine, power transfer is ok as well, and no battery issues. Im thinking its the spark plugs since its been awhile. Thoughts?

ascii42

So my car lately has been sluggish to start. Kinda chugs when I turn the ignition. But idle is fine, power transfer is ok as well, and no battery issues. Im thinking its the spark plugs since its been awhile. Thoughts?

Spark plugs would be my guess as well. Also could be fuel filter.

What do you mean chugs? Does it smoke a little when you start it? I don't think it's the plugs if it runs well at other points.

I'd get your battery tested at an autozone just to rule that option out entirely; if the starter isn't getting enough juice it can lead to a rumbly start. Other options could be it leaking oil or coolant into the cylinders (a bad thing but probably not), or pressure loss in the fuel system, i.e., the engine is trying to start with the fuel pressure low.

DoomGyver

I'm looking at a new car and I can't decide between the Civic Si or the Focus ST. The civic would be cheaper, and more reliable. But that ST is just so fun to drive, and being a hatch I have a lot more cubic space.

Decisions decisions.

sfedai0

Banned
What do you mean chugs? Does it smoke a little when you start it? I don't think it's the plugs if it runs well at other points.

I'd get your battery tested at an autozone just to rule that option out entirely; if the starter isn't getting enough juice it can lead to a rumbly start. Other options could be it leaking oil or coolant into the cylinders (a bad thing but probably not), or pressure loss in the fuel system, i.e., the engine is trying to start with the fuel pressure low.

By "chug", I mean its a bit slow on turnover when I start the ignition. I do have an Autozone battery which died after not driving it for a couple months, but it was charged and I've been driving it regularly since. But, Ill test the battery and hope its just a spark plug issue.

By "chug", I mean its a bit slow on turnover when I start the ignition. I do have an Autozone battery which died after not driving it for a couple months, but it was charged and I've been driving it regularly since. But, Ill test the battery and hope its just a spark plug issue.

Yeah it's almost definitely your battery. If you haven't had the battery that long there might be a warranty? Worth checking.

Edit: And if it's not your battery it may be your alternator, but it's probably your battery.

coldfoot

Banned
In a retrofit, they split the housing, clean things up, install HID projectors (generally Bi-Xenon to preserve Hi/low beam, but depends on the housing), shrouds, aim and align everything, seal up the housings, and bam, done. All very clean, very professional (if you don't choose a crap shop). If you don't like the reflectors shining in there, they can even paint them for you to hide them. So many options.
Those aftermarket housings in the pictures are no where near factory quality, nor they are warrantied, and I guarantee they'll be fogged up with condensation in a few years. They're cheap chinese made garbage. I can see why that's not a problem putting them on a 15 year old car, but if you're buying brand new, no HID = no sale.

N-Bomb

I'm looking at a new car and I can't decide between the Civic Si or the Focus ST. The civic would be cheaper, and more reliable. But that ST is just so fun to drive, and being a hatch I have a lot more cubic space.

Decisions decisions.

Focus for sure. Civic is wanting, this generation.

Any body have any good recommendations for shampoo and wax for detailing?

I think it was Alpha or someone who was all about some Nanoscrub a while ago? Maybe consider that.

Those aftermarket housings in the pictures are no where near factory quality, nor they are warrantied, and I guarantee they'll be fogged up with condensation in a few years. They're cheap chinese made garbage. I can see why that's not a problem putting them on a 15 year old car, but if you're buying brand new, no HID = no sale.

Man... those aren't aftermarket housings. All fact and logic seems to be bouncing off you right now. The housings come from the cars they're retrofitting. Factory. OEM. The projectors used are either new non-factory non-cheap-Chinese-shit, or factory parts such as projectors from Mercs, Acura/Honda (TSX, TL and S2K projectors are very popular. Also those from the Infiniti FX-35), Lexus (RX)/Toyota, and others.

In fact, these often perform BETTER because the stock fresnel lenses are removed from the projectors and replaced with higher spec clear lenses.

Do some research before you get your back up that factory is always better. Factory is made to a cost target, THEN a performance or quality target.

If you don't want to 'deal with it now' and prefer to avoid hassle, then you're of course free to spend more for something that's not necessarily better. I understand that. But don't claim that retrofits are 'trash' or somehow inferior when in fact, done right, the opposite is true.

coldfoot

Banned
Man... those aren't aftermarket housings. All fact and logic seems to be bouncing off you right now. The housings come from the cars they're retrofitting. Factory. OEM.
Since when did the Prelude and first gen Miata come with projector headlamps?

The projectors used are either new non-factory non-cheap-Chinese-shit,
No such thing exists.

or factory parts such as projectors from Mercs, Acura/Honda (TSX, TL and S2K projectors are very popular. Also those from the Infiniti FX-35), Lexus (RX)/Toyota, and others.
So you're building a frankenmobile with parts from different cars.

Do some research before you get your back up that factory is always better. Factory is made to a cost target, THEN a performance or quality target.
There is a minimum quality standard for factory, whereas the quality of what you're suggesting is highly variable from installation to installation, even if you look at the work of one shop, one retrofit might be good but the next one could see problems and not be so good. These shops aren't factories with the capability of mass producing something with a minimum specified quality.

So the truth is, any brand new car without HID's is garbage and should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom