• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're thinking of the IMS, and there's a relatively cheap fix for it so it's not a problem (and it was a very low failure rate in the first place). Don't know about cylinder walls cracking in Caymans.

No. Both are problems.

RMS costs around 1500 dollars to upgrade to the 997 version.

IMS you have no idea when its going to go, and there is no perm fix for it. There is the retrofit kit but its not that proven.

For the RMS and IMS fixes your looking at close to 5k in parts in labor to get it done.

Don't buy a 996.

snack

Got a question about the FRS. How much cheaper will the 2013 models be when the 2014 ones start showing up in showrooms?

N-Bomb

I meant to post in here when I bought my MB C350 4matic coupe in November but haven't had a chance to get some decent pictures.

Now I wanted to share my sadness, I done goofed and smashed by front bumper into a cement parking barrier on Saturday. It was jutting out just enough from the stall next to me to ruin the bumper, but not enough for me to notice when I got back in my car. Anyway, still awaiting quotes on repairs but I'm sure I'll end up being out 2-3k, feels bad man.

EDIT: Figured I'd show off some pics, yes I'm a dumbass.

Bumper's urethane, ain't it? You can probably pop that back out with no problems...

sca2511

Hope this is ok to post here, but I went karting last night for an organization called Freedom Behind The Wheel. They specialize in adapting vehicles for hand controlled use for those that have lost limbs or have disabilities that prevent them from normal operation of a vehicle. Figured I'd try to get some coverage out there for those of you that might know someone who's lost a limb or otherwise can't operate a vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-bicagPko

http://www.freedombehindthewheel.org/Welcome.html

Very awesome.

No. Both are problems.

RMS costs around 1500 dollars to upgrade to the 997 version.

IMS you have no idea when its going to go, and there is no perm fix for it. There is the retrofit kit but its not that proven.

For the RMS and IMS fixes your looking at close to 5k in parts in labor to get it done.

Don't buy a 996.

The RMS really isn't much of a problem (oh no a slow oil leak I'll have to keep cardboard under it to save my floor's finish!) and it's easy to fix since dropping the transmission takes no time at all.

For the IMS, the studies of the failures lead to a pretty clear cause and effect, and the retrofit is a rather good solution. It's been a while since I've looked but so far as I'm aware no retrofitted car has had a failure and it's been out there for about five years. Porsche's initial IMS bearing was a shitty sealed design with captive grease where the seals broke down with time, allowing oil to seep in and displace grease/deposit dirt over time; the revised bearing is open and is designed to use the engine oil (I think, been a while).

It's a rare failure that's more common on garage queens, but it's a very expensive failure so it scares (rightly) people. It wouldn't dissuade me from getting another 996 but it's not what I'm looking for nowadays.

Edit: Porsche has a thing for sealed bearings. They do the same thing with transmission bearings, and all the Porsche techs I've talked to always suggest going with an open bearing instead.

Fixed1979

Bumper's urethane, ain't it? You can probably pop that back out with no problems...

Yup, that would be a reasonable temporary fix but it's still going to be scratched to hell with a cracked DRL case and missing a light. Better to just suck it up and get it looking new again.

Thankfully my dealership did a shit job with the 3M coating and agreed to replace it before this happened so I'm "saving" a few hundred there.

I meant to post in here when I bought my MB C350 4matic coupe in November but haven't had a chance to get some decent pictures.

Now I wanted to share my sadness, I done goofed and smashed by front bumper into a cement parking barrier on Saturday. It was jutting out just enough from the stall next to me to ruin the bumper, but not enough for me to notice when I got back in my car. Anyway, still awaiting quotes on repairs but I'm sure I'll end up being out 2-3k, feels bad man.

ugh

sucks. didnt the parking sensors go off?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So exactly how fuel efficient are they? The Mazda6 is officially rated at 26 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. This bests the Ford Fusion’s 23/36 mpg rating.

But that’s just on paper. In the real world, after a week of testing, the gap widened further. The Mazda6 returned an average of 30.4 mpg of mixed driving while the Fusion could only muster 25.0 mpg, which continues a recent trend of Ford test vehicles lately not living up to their fuel efficiency ratings.

he Fusion was in tough during this comparison test. Not only is the Mazda6 cheaper to purchase, but also cheaper to fill up at the pumps. Add in a more attractive, easier to operate interior as well as a more rewarding driving experience, and the 6 is the clear winner of this comparison.

That’s no knock on the Ford either as the Mazda may just be the new benchmark for mid-size sedans. Yes, the Mazda6 is just that good.

http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2013-ford-fusion-vs-2014-mazda6-2611.html

Anyone know how I can find out what dealers are taking orders on the C7 without calling every single one in my area?

Where are you located? Check www.corvetteforum.com C7 section.

You can always order from a dealer out of state and have them drop ship the vehicle to a local dealership.

I'd recommend these 2. Both are taking orders at MSRP.

http://www.boardwalkchevrolet.com Ask for Tim Boone.

http://criswellcorvette.com/department-new.aspx Ask for Mike Furman

reilo

Yeah a friend of mine just got a Mazda 6 and got 29mpg combined on his last tank. He loves that car. I wonder what Ford is doing wrong that Mazda is doing so right?

Ford is trying to do "just good enough" because they know they will sell plenty of these. Mazda is backed into a corner, and if their new line-up of vehicles just does okay like their last gen offerings, then they will fail. Mazda has to do this to survive.

Chamai

Banned
Shiny

Either that's an HDR photo or you spent a fortune on wax. Great pics!

pics were taken with a canon 50d and i used lightroom to enchance the photos. and i did spent a few bucks on wax. i wax my car every 2-3 months and i use quick wax between washes to keep it shiny.

ugh
$2-$3k for that? That's a lot of pain for such a little thump.

You may as well be driving around in a big ass nut sack.

Fixed1979

$2-$3k for that? That's a lot of pain for such a little thump.

You may as well be driving around in a big ass nut sack.

Yup, got a couple quotes back and they're ranging from ~2300-2900. The entire bumper needs to be replaced which is 1061 that LED DRL is apparently 350, 680-1100 in labor plus and then some miscellaneous shit...learned by lesson quickly on this one.

Roude Leiw said:
sucks. didnt the parking sensors go off?

You would have thought so, but I don't remember seeing or hearing them. Not sure if it was too low or if I was parked too close to start with, but nothing. I haven't noticed a problem with them before or since.

----------

What's peoples general consensus on window tint? I had my previous car completely tinted pretty dark ('07 VW GTI in black), but I'm a little torn on what to do with this one...

We're allowed as dark as we want on all windows except for the front passenger and driver windows.

pics were taken with a canon 50d and i used lightroom to enchance the photos. and i did spent a few bucks on wax. i wax my car every 2-3 months and i use quick wax between washes to keep it shiny.

What type of wax are you using and are you doing it all by hand or with a buffer?

Yup, got a couple quotes back and they're ranging from ~2300-2900. The entire bumper needs to be replaced which is 1061 that LED DRL is apparently 350, 680-1100 in labor plus and then some miscellaneous shit...learned by lesson quickly on this one.

For a new bumper, respray and paint matching that's not bad.

It was over $5000 when the engine lid and bumper were banged up on the 996. It was 9 year old speed yellow paint so they repainted the rear third of the car to get the matching just right.

reilo

R0dvY5D.jpg

Wq2P3Gw.jpg

7hfB6xH.jpg

hZ9IMZv.jpg

FStop7

Banned
I saw a prototype Mini Cooper S last week. It looks really good! It was covered in yellow/green swirl camo, pretty much identical to this:

2014MY-MINI-Cooper-S-Hatch-1.jpg

the mazda 3 will look pretty awesome.

the 3 also seems to have a bigger navi screen than what they put into the mazda 6 and cx-5. one of the few issues reviewer had with these cars.

aaaand mechanical handbrake! i hate that they put an electrical into the new golf.

most likely i will exchange my golf 6 for the new mazda 3 next year.

reilo

Is it wrong that i would actually want to drive a car painted like that? It would screw with a lot of eyes

So easy to do nowadays with wraps.

EDIT: Just watched that Jalopnik video comparing the RX-8 vs FRS vs S2000. Amazing how those two came to the same conclusion some of us did. That makes them haters, right?

N-Bomb

So easy to do nowadays with wraps.

EDIT: Just watched that Jalopnik video comparing the RX-8 vs FRS vs S2000. Amazing how those two came to the same conclusion some of us did. That makes them haters, right?

I dunno, if I have to take their word or Clarkson's, I know which one I'm going with.

Monsoon Gray, Premium Plus, with NAV, B&G sound system, Advance Key. I might go Carbon inlay or just keep the silver.

Oh yea, 6MT for SURE.

You done fucking good son. Congrats.

I can already feel N-Bomb and Yuri seething.

I just built it on their site, car stalking :p

zie4zb.png

The 19" rims are ugly as sin though, I like the 18s in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom