• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just off the trailer:
b6fc78ed-b83b-4488-b30e-e1061129feb6.jpg

congrats,...such a nice looking car in person....surprise how low the thing is..

N-Bomb

I skimmed through the video, does it say if its stock drive train or did he swap the dsm awd along with the motor?

Man, I dunno. I skipped around a bit too after the walk-around started taking more than 90 seconds.

More highlights:

"It scrapes everywhere"

"Yeah, see that cowl underneath, I'm gonna put a bunch of LEDs in there."

"...when 1 of the spark plugs works."

I skimmed through the video, does it say if its stock drive train or did he swap the dsm awd along with the motor?

He claims it has "the heart of an Eagle Talon" but when he lifts the hood, it is just the normal DOHC Mazda motor. He also claims he is going to "put in a Talon rear end" to make it RWD so he can go drifting with it and take it to the track.

Edit: The video gets even more surreal when you learn that the guy doing the filming owns a super clean and highly modified Evo.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fucking hate Audis.

How is a 2012 A6 having stuck thermostat issues? Car only has 13K miles on it. Are you kidding me?

Fucking hate Audis.

How is a 2012 A6 having stuck thermostat issues? Car only has 13K miles on it. Are you kidding me?

Didn't you claim that Audis were a lot more reliable than they were before just before you bought the A6, dismissing claims that they still have issue? Yeah, you did.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hypothetical question: Given the choice between a 2003 Porsche 911, a 2006 Porsche Cayman, and a 2010 Nissan 370z for the same price, which one would you pick for your daily driver?

Hypothetical question: Given the choice between a 2003 Porsche 911, a 2006 Porsche Cayman, and a 2010 Nissan 370z for the same price, which one would you pick for your daily driver?

Probably the 911. Apologies to Alpha but the 370 doesn't even belong in that lineup, and the 911 is the better all-arounder than the Cayman.

Edit: And at least the headlights on the 2003 aren't too bad.

I would go with the Cayman. If you're debating between three sports cars, then you've clearly tossed utility to the wind, so losing two fake rear seats isn't going to impact you much, and the Cayman will outperform a base 996 in lots of ways.

I would go with the Cayman. If you're debating between three sports cars, then you've clearly tossed utility to the wind, so losing two fake rear seats isn't going to impact you much, and the Cayman will outperform a base 996 in lots of ways.

The rear seats in the 911 are pretty useless, but there's a ton more space in the cabin.

Ehhh.... it's really a tough question. I might just go with the Cayman but the 911 just has so much more prestige (sure, this doesn't matter much but it's a 911, and 911s are best), and it actually is a bit faster than an '06 Cayman.

Also, 'dat rear engine.

AlphaSnake

Didn't you claim that Audis were a lot more reliable than they were before just before you bought the A6, dismissing claims that they still have issue? Yeah, you did.

No shit. I didn't imagine such a dumb problem would even exist in this day and age. It's a wide spread issue with all 3.0T motors from 2009.

I don't care, it's not my car anymore. I just feel bad and I hope my dad doesn't end up having more issues since I don't live in NY anymore, and I just so happened to be back in town for a few weeks.

AlphaSnake

What are you looking for in a car? Badge? Power? Creature comforts? Affordability and reliability? Mixture of all? Prioritize your wish list and see which suits you better. The below would be my assessment and why:

My pick would be the Z, people know this. The 996 is dated inside and out, and expensive to maintain. A standard Cayman is underpowered, dated inside, and not particularly good looking on the outside either (Porsche has acknowledged that the last Cayman was too effeminate, which is why they hulked up the looks of the current one). Also a 2006 Cayman is a first year production car, and it'll be riddled with issues that future model years have ironed out.

The Z has great balance, more power than either Porsche, better interior IMO (navi will also be far more up to date than an older car), a lot more reliable with readily available parts everywhere, less cost to maintain, less cost to insure, newer, a lot more and less expensive aftermarket availability for modding (if you're into that), and so forth.

What are you looking for in a car? Badge? Power? Creature comforts? Affordability and reliability? Mixture of all? Prioritize your wish list and see which suits you better. The below would be my assessment and why:

My pick would be the Z, people know this. The 996 is dated inside and out, and expensive to maintain. A standard Cayman is underpowered, dated inside, and not particularly good looking on the outside either (Porsche has acknowledged that the last Cayman was too effeminate, which is why they hulked up the looks of the current one).

The Z has great balance, more power than either Porsche, better interior IMO (navi will also be far more up to date than an older car), a lot more reliable with readily available parts everywhere, less cost to maintain, less cost to insure, newer, a lot more and less expensive aftermarket availability for modding (if you're into that), and so forth.

Yeah but you forgot one thing: you'd have to be wrong in the head to prefer driving a Z over a 911 or Cayman. I don't think anyone has ever made the argument that the Z is a superior driver's car to either.

Also, the Z has 10 more hp than the '03 996 and weighs 300 lbs more.

You're right on all the costing, though, no arguing the Porsche will cost $$$.

Edit: The argument is really this: Good New Car or Fantastic Used Car.

Edit the second: This post was a little crude, sorry. Is edit it but I'm on my phone now and it sucks at text editing.

AlphaSnake

Yeah but you forgot one thing: you'd have to be wrong in the head to prefer driving a Z over a 911 or Cayman. I don't think anyone has ever made the argument that the Z is a superior driver's car to either.

Also, the Z has 10 more hp than the '03 996 and weighs 300 lbs more.

You're right on all the costing, though, no arguing the Porsche will cost $$$.

Edit: The argument is really this: Good New Car or Fantastic Used Car.

Edit the second: This post was a little crude, sorry. Is edit it but I'm on my phone now and it sucks at text editing.

The thing about an old 996 is that you know in your heart of hearts that engine is not putting out its full 315HP at the crank (especially depending on how it was treated for these past 10 years). Where as a 2010 car is still healthy and able to achieve its 333HP (350HP if Nismo). So that was the basis of my power argument, not necessarily which car is faster...but which is more powerful (ie: healthier). If that makes sense.

Again, it boils down to what the OP wants. I personally can't stand the dated interior of the 996. If I was looking for a car that I wanted to dedicate a lot of time tracking, I'd consider the Cayman S and heavily modify it. But for an all around daily car that I want to enjoy being inside of, driving, enjoying the power, modern amenities, not worrying about expenses, etc. it'd have to be the Z.

The thing about an old 996 is that you know in your heart of hearts that engine is not putting out its full 315HP at the crank (especially depending on how it was treated for these past 10 years). Where as a 2010 car is still healthy and able to achieve its 333HP (350HP if Nismo). So that was the basis of my power argument, not necessarily which car is faster...but which is more powerful (ie: healthier). If that makes sense.

Again, it boils down to what the OP wants. I personally can't stand the dated interior of the 996. If I was looking for a car that I wanted to dedicate a lot of time tracking, I'd consider the Cayman S and heavily modify it. But for an all around daily car that I want to enjoy being inside of, driving, enjoying the power, modern amenities, not worrying about expenses, etc. it'd have to be the Z.

Okay I get what you're saying. But even if the 996 is down 50hp on the Z...flat six noise > V6 noise is all I'm sayin'. Besides, you can always tune it up and replace the tappets if you want to light some $$$ on fire.

Gotta disagree on the interior, though. I didn't really enjoy the Z's interior and the 996 has all of the modern amenities I care about, namely seat heaters, one-touch windows, good stereo and auto-climate control. Seriously anything beyond that bothers the hell out of me and I'd rather not have it. I would actually pay more not to have a touch-screen control system in a car, I loathe them that much. So if you don't care about modern toys and gadgets in cars, the 996 has a solid, if sparse interior, with unbelievably good seats.

AlphaSnake

Okay I get what you're saying. But even if the 996 is down 50hp on the Z...flat six noise > V6 noise is all I'm sayin'. Besides, you can always tune it up and replace the tappets if you want to light some $$$ on fire.

Gotta disagree on the interior, though. I didn't really enjoy the Z's interior and the 996 has all of the modern amenities I care about, namely seat heaters, one-touch windows, good stereo and auto-climate control. Seriously anything beyond that bothers the hell out of me and I'd rather not have it. I would actually pay more not to have a touch-screen control system in a car, I loathe them that much. So if you don't care about modern toys and gadgets in cars, the 996 has a solid, if sparse interior, with unbelievably good seats.

The Z's navi isn't touchscreen only though. You can use it like you would an Audi's MMI, use touchscreen (which is very responsive), use the steering wheel controls, use voice, or use physical buttons on the navigation knob - it is extremely versatile in that regard.

For the OP a pic comparison

996_-3.jpg

2006-porsche-cayman-s-interior-photos-4.jpg

tuv2dCM.jpg

Engine noise is definitely personal preference, I think flat-motors sound Godawful, personally. Though that opinion has swayed since the 991 Porsche sounds rather great.

N-Bomb

The Z's navi isn't touchscreen only though. You can use it like you would an Audi's MMI, use touchscreen (which is very responsive), use the steering wheel controls, use voice, or use physical buttons on the navigation knob - it is extremely versatile in that regard.

For the OP a pic comparison

996_-3.jpg

2006-porsche-cayman-s-interior-photos-4.jpg

tuv2dCM.jpg

Engine noise is definitely personal preference, I think flat-motors sound Godawful, personally. Though that opinion has swayed since the 991 Porsche sounds rather great.

Definitely going with the first one, there. That punch-buggy steering wheel in the second is ridiculous! Dash lines flow so much better.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I love how the Focus ST has a shade of yellow called Tangerine Scream. Reminds me of those high impact Mopar colors like Go Man Go Orange, Panther Pink and Green Go.

Definitely going with the first one, there. That punch-buggy steering wheel in the second is ridiculous! Dash lines flow so much better.

Yep. It's a simple interior but it's a really nice place to sit (it does have a little bit of '90s bloat going on though). I don't care for the newer Porsche steering wheels either but the interior is still nice and straightforward. Just too much stuff going on in the Z's interior for me, it looks obnoxious.

Watevaman

Hope this is ok to post here, but I went karting last night for an organization called Freedom Behind The Wheel. They specialize in adapting vehicles for hand controlled use for those that have lost limbs or have disabilities that prevent them from normal operation of a vehicle. Figured I'd try to get some coverage out there for those of you that might know someone who's lost a limb or otherwise can't operate a vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-bicagPko

http://www.freedombehindthewheel.org/Welcome.html

N-Bomb

Hope this is ok to post here, but I went karting last night for an organization called Freedom Behind The Wheel. They specialize in adapting vehicles for hand controlled use for those that have lost limbs or have disabilities that prevent them from normal operation of a vehicle. Figured I'd try to get some coverage out there for those of you that might know someone who's lost a limb or otherwise can't operate a vehicle.

Of course it's okay. Also, shared.

If I had the money, I'd race gokarts to build forearm strength!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

That's really awesome.

Post it on Reddit.

370z.
No RMS issues leaving you with a worthless shell or the problem with cayman engine cracking cylinder walls.

Porsches are pieces of shit.

Fucking hate Audis.

Audis have always been and always will be the redheaded step child of german car makers.

370z.
No RMS issues leaving you with a worthless shell or the problem with cayman engine cracking cylinder walls.

Porsches are pieces of shit.

You're thinking of the IMS, and there's a relatively cheap fix for it so it's not a problem (and it was a very low failure rate in the first place). Don't know about cylinder walls cracking in Caymans.

Fixed1979

I meant to post in here when I bought my MB C350 4matic coupe in November but haven't had a chance to get some decent pictures.

Now I wanted to share my sadness, I done goofed and smashed by front bumper into a cement parking barrier on Saturday. It was jutting out just enough from the stall next to me to ruin the bumper, but not enough for me to notice when I got back in my car. Anyway, still awaiting quotes on repairs but I'm sure I'll end up being out 2-3k, feels bad man.

EDIT: Figured I'd show off some pics, yes I'm a dumbass.

ugh

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Saw a gorgeous BRZ in person today. Really don't like the spoiler or the fake vents on the fenders but still a very beautiful car. Hard to believe it's so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom