• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

You done fucking good son. Congrats.

I can already feel N-Bomb and Yuri seething.

I just built it on their site, car stalking :p

zie4zb.png

The 19" rims are ugly as sin though, I like the 18s in the picture.

Hey, I don't really care. Dude can get what he wants :eek:

How in fucking hell did he drive the R8 faster than the 911 Turbo S around the track...??

I'm guessing it's because he was on a short track with some tight turns where the R8's better turn-in would help it. He commented several times that he was getting more understeer than he wanted in the 911.

Edit: Also because that particular 911 is a few years old now--I'm sure the results will be very different with the 991.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm guessing it's because he was on a short track with some tight turns where the R8's better turn-in would help it. He commented several times that he was getting more understeer than he wanted in the 911.

Edit: Also because that particular 911 is a few years old now--I'm sure the results will be very different with the 991.

It's just surprising considering that the 911 has a 200TQ and 200LB advantage over the R8.

It's just surprising considering that the 911 has a 200TQ and 200LB advantage over the R8.

It is, but the torque disparity doesn't mean a whole lot when you're on the track and in the powerband all the time, and the R8 has 20HP over the 911.

I'm a big 911 fanboy but the Turbo has never been the racey one, so it doesn't surprise me a whole lot that it lost to the R8 on a short-track.

reilo

Apparently I need to explain to EV supporters if Ferrari ever decided to make an EV, why it that would be a good thing and why it would help push the technology forward??

According to them, Ferrari is just a badge and they don't do any real automotive engineering.

Threads like this one are always such trainwrecks.

Just about every car related thread in OT (aside from this one) usually just gives me a headache.

Most people see driving as a chore, so I get where they are coming from and take into account the futurist tech fetish that this forum has. Though I think some people are deliberately being obtuse in their support of Ferrari.

Yeah, well put.

ascii42

Most people see driving as a chore, so I get where they are coming from and take into account the futurist tech fetish that this forum has. Though I think some people are deliberately being obtuse in their support of Ferrari.
Which I understand. I love cars, but I also love tech (it's why I bought the '89 Riviera). So, electric cars interest me. If I had a way of charging it, I'd be leasing a Volt right now.

Ferrari was always the car bought for the experience. Their design, their sound and the feel of owning one was always unmatched.

Their track performance was always great, but it's not out of this world insane as it's offten proclaimed. 458 is beaten on a track by a much cheaper GT-R.

Speaking of Ferrari, they're looking to become artificially more exclusive by slowing production:

While most automakers are clawing and scratching for every possible sale, it sounds like Ferrari is content in losing a few potential customers in the name of better exclusivity and higher profits. Autocar reports that Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo recently stated that the Italian automaker hopes to sell fewer than 7,000 units globally in 2013 compared to last year's tally of 7,318.

As a part of this plan, Ferrari will be slowing its production lines and trying to create a balanced market for its cars in the US, the Middle East, Europe and China – the latter two being the automaker's biggest markets. Montezemolo also said that Ferrari would not be expanding its model lineup with SUVs, sedans or small cars.

From what I've noticed (and this could be totally off) the Chinese seem to have a fetish for all things German and German only. The British are trying real hard to suck their collective dick, but I've yet to hear about how the Italians are faring in the People's Republic.

I know every international student at my alma mater (whose father was a corrupt government official back in China) drove an AMG of some sort or a higher-end Audi.

FStop7

Banned
Lambos seem to be pretty popular in mainland China as well as HK. Singapore has some of everything. I guess those sort of count as German.

After watching the Chris Harris video my interest in the GTR has been rekindled. The new 911 turbo starts at 150k with the turbo S coming in at 185k. Out of my league.

N-Bomb

Speaking of Ferrari, they're looking to become artificially more exclusive by slowing production:

I think it has more to do with the rich being more scrutinized in places like Italy in terms of taxes. Sales of exotics have dropped off sharply there since the new scrutiny.

From what I've noticed (and this could be totally off) the Chinese seem to have a fetish for all things German and German only. The British are trying real hard to suck their collective dick, but I've yet to hear about how the Italians are faring in the People's Republic.

I know every international student at my alma mater (whose father was a corrupt government official back in China) drove an AMG of some sort or a higher-end Audi.

<grossgeneralization> Stereotypical Asians seem to prize the status and luxury of a car as a symbol more than its performance or any other kind of factor. They want to show how they're superior to you. A Ferrari is lesser because it's not as 'executive'. </grossgeneralization>

ameratsu

Took my brother's MS3 out for a drive and then a wash as he's on a longish vacation; it's not good for cars to sit for too long without being driven.

Oh my do I ever miss having a turbocharged car. Someday I will have one again.

HID bulbs in halogen housing... yes/no?

My NC Miata is almost 7 years old and as far as I know, the PO has never touched the headlights so it's still the stock halogen H7 bulbs sitting in there as it came out of the factory in 2005.

I'm currently leaning towards getting a conversion kit instead of going full retrofit as many of the threads in the various Miata forums suggest that the retrofit kits are iffy when paired up to a current gen Miata and they're simply not worth it. My other option is to find HID headlight assemblies from an NC or an RX-8 but they're impossible to come by. Also, the most expensive conversion kit is at $150 from TRS and there's other places that sell it cheaper, meanwhile a full retrofit starts at $290.

If nothing else, I'll just get one of those bright ass halogen bulbs and stick in there haha.

Enron

Banned
yeah....for some people a car is something to take them to point A and point B....they just don't understand.

It's not even that - there's nothing wrong with thinking that a car is just a point A-to-B tool. These threads are so bad because the OP (usually) and EV supporters are pretty much clueless about anything else about cars beyond what they read in whatever article that prompted them to create a thread for the Tesla/Leaf/whichever EV and gets their lunch handed to them by autoGAF, at which point the thread just dies. Then it starts all over again whenever there's a new piece of news.

ascii42

It's not even that - there's nothing wrong with thinking that a car is just a point A-to-B tool. These threads are so bad because the OP (usually) and EV supporters are pretty much clueless about anything else about cars beyond what they read in whatever article that prompted them to create a thread for the Tesla/Leaf/whichever EV and gets their lunch handed to them by autoGAF, at which point the thread just dies. Then it starts all over again whenever there's a new piece of news.

Then you have a couple of posters that are so fervently anti-ICE that there's just no having a discussion with them.

I just want everyone in the world to get to do an autocross or a track day in a sports car so they can get how badass cars are. Of course if you grow up in a city always driving in traffic you'll hate cars, cars suck for that, but what kind of weirdo could take a sportscar through a twisty mountain road and say at the end "Well that sucked."

ascii42

I just want everyone in the world to get to do an autocross or a track day in a sports car so they can get how badass cars are. Of course if you grow up in a city always driving in traffic you'll hate cars, cars suck for that, but what kind of weirdo could take a sportscar through a twisty mountain road and say at the end "Well that sucked."

Well, someone who's prone to motion sickness probably wouldn't enjoy it, but other than that, definitely.

I grew up living 30 miles away from school, which probably contributed to me favoring big comfy highway cruisers. Driving through a twisty mountain road sounds like a blast, but those don't really exist here in the south. Just big straight open highways. I loved every minute of the Jaguar driving event I went to. I need to do something like that again. Maybe with BMW. I've never driven a BMW and I'd like to.

N-Bomb

HID bulbs in halogen housing... yes/no?

My NC Miata is almost 7 years old and as far as I know, the PO has never touched the headlights so it's still the stock halogen H7 bulbs sitting in there as it came out of the factory in 2005.

I'm currently leaning towards getting a conversion kit instead of going full retrofit as many of the threads in the various Miata forums suggest that the retrofit kits are iffy when paired up to a current gen Miata and they're simply not worth it. My other option is to find HID headlight assemblies from an NC or an RX-8 but they're impossible to come by. Also, the most expensive conversion kit is at $150 from TRS and there's other places that sell it cheaper, meanwhile a full retrofit starts at $290.

If nothing else, I'll just get one of those bright ass halogen bulbs and stick in there haha.

DEFINITELY NOT. Retrofit it properly or don't do it at all. You'll dazzle oncoming traffic otherwise. Halogen housings, even if they're projectors are NOT designed to accommodate the HID output and beam pattern.

Yes. 100% agree.

$250k GTR Build

...goes bad

I'm deathly scared of large builds. Modding your car is already expensive enough. You leave your car, parts, and hope that the outcome is as good as they promised.

I'm still dredding the thought of finding a shop to handle my engine build locally. For every one or two people who say that they are the best at what they do, another person has a "story" about them that makes you worry...

Good times people!

reilo

We still only have rumors about the third-generation Audi TT said to be scheduled for launch in late 2014, but based on a report in Car and Driver, we know a tiny bit more about it. The base engine will be the 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder with direct injection, but horsepower is said to be 220 horsepower &#8211; that would make for a nine-hp jump over the current output. The TTS would get an even larger power boost, going from 265 currently to 300 hp. The TT RS would stick with it's 2.5-liter five cylinder, with output increased from 360 to 380 hp. If Audi includes a nice dose of the go-light engineering involved in the TT Ultra Quattro, these horsepower numbers might be even more impressive.

As with the TT concept and first-generation production car, though, it sounds like the brand is concentrating on aesthetics. It's been widely reported that Audi wants to reclaim the juju conjured by the original TT, and while we still don't know what that means outside, CD reports that the interior gets simplified, "futuristic-feeling" styling thanks to instruments served up on a TFT screen. Remember, the first Audi TT had a cockpit that Car magazine dubbed simply, "The Cabin."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/10/more-next-gen-audi-tt-details-revealed/

Oh man. 2014 is going to be a good year.

These are some speculative sketches of the next TT:

tt-mk3-1-960x411.jpg

/nods

The current TT RS weighs 3300lbs, and Audi is looking to shed some weight off of that, too. Imagine 380HP at 3100lbs with Quattro *drool*

Forsete

DEFINITELY NOT. Retrofit it properly or don't do it at all. You'll dazzle oncoming traffic otherwise. Halogen housings, even if they're projectors are NOT designed to accommodate the HID output and beam pattern.

Isnt that also illegal? Retrofitting HIDs in halogen housings I mean.

At least here it is. In fact, retrofitting HIDs is illegal full stop, IIRC. Like I said, where I live.
The last DDR-state. ;)

n0n44m

Isnt that also illegal? Retrofitting HIDs in halogen housings I mean.

At least here it is. In fact, retrofitting HIDs is illegal full stop, IIRC. Like I said, where I live.
The last DDR-state. ;)

"In Europe and the many non-European countries applying ECE Regulations, even HID headlamps designed as such must be equipped with lens cleaning and automatic self-leveling systems, except on motorcycles.[33] These systems are usually absent on vehicles not originally equipped with HID lamps."

I've heard of people here who had Xenon installed by the dealership right after delivery because of tax reasons, only to have their car fail the mandatory yearly technical inspection 3 years later because the dealer used cheapo-non-leveling lights :p

(cars less than 3 years old are exempt from inspection)

Halvie

Banned
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/10/more-next-gen-audi-tt-details-revealed/

Oh man. 2014 is going to be a good year.

These are some speculative sketches of the next TT:

tt-mk3-1-960x411.jpg

/nods

The current TT RS weighs 3300lbs, and Audi is looking to shed some weight off of that, too. Imagine 380HP at 3100lbs with Quattro *drool*

Safe to assume they changed their minds on making the next rs3 a 2.0t then? Release in 2014 would be a nice change from the eternity that the a3 is taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom