• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Bomb

Speaking of annoying Prius owners, do you respect stupid parking space restrictions like families with children, hybrids only, etc? Because I sure as hell don't, only one I respect is the handicap spot of course. They are also unenforcable by the police, and the property owner won't bother to get a customer towed...

Handycap - respect.
Plug in parking - respect.
Expectant mothers - fuck you.
Family parking - fuck you too.
Hybrid only - fuck you more.
Motorcycle only - respect. Can't fit in there anyway.

ibxpWEqA1dbSeh.jpg

I expect to see the Egoista in Transformers 4
commercials, because I'm not paying money to watch that garbage

On a side note, I would totally be down for more sports cars that just seated 1, or 1+1.

Forsete

Handycap - respect.
Plug in parking - respect.
Expectant mothers - fuck you.
Family parking - fuck you too.
Hybrid only - fuck you more.
Motorcycle only - respect. Can't fit in there anyway.

Word.

Though I have only seen Handicap and Family. :p

My dad got yelled at for parking in a family spot once. The woman said she would call the police. :rolleyes:

Archer

39292_1366938249.jpg

39311_1366938373.jpg

39287_1366938249.jpg

39323_1366938374.jpg

Thinking about getting this as a weekend toy.

This is an E36 '97 328 M-Sport. 58,000 kilometers. Asking price is USD 5,300, which is really just spending money for a month or so. It's really tempting and would be a classic in the making.

Any thoughts?

39292_1366938249.jpg

39311_1366938373.jpg

39287_1366938249.jpg

39323_1366938374.jpg

This is an E36 '97 328 M-Sport. 58,000 kilometers. Asking price is USD 5,300, which is really just spending money for a month or so. It's really tempting and would be a classic in the making.

Any thoughts?

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
~beautiful pics

Any thoughts?

Welp, color me jealous!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Get well soon Alpha, that sounds horrible.
Shame that the beautiful Jag got trashed instead of a crappy Nissan :)
But on the other hand, it's a good thing that your lease got trashed and not the car you own.

Also cab drivers are the worst, I make a point to never help them or let them through.

Fortunately, the car is not trashed. It's fixable. Doesn't look to be any frame damage - just some fucked up panels and in need of a new door.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
You used to have a MK6 GTI right? Why the switch? Or were you just due for a new car and wanted to try something different?
correct. The lease on the GTI ended and I wanted to separate between job-related and private car. hence the double dip.

Stasis

correct. The lease on the GTI ended and I wanted to separate between job-related and private car. hence the double dip.

Gotcha. I assumed the Auris was for the wife, not that you had purchased two for yourself. Well, double grats!

I'm a GTI driver myself, a MK5 I'm about to sell. I've absolutely loved it but it's time to move on. Is it too early to ask you how the switch feels? From the abundant low RPM torque of the 2.0T to the higher revving GT-86. I've looked at it (the BRZ/FR-S here in Canada) but I was hoping they'd release a turbo version with a bit more "go". Admittedly I haven't driven one, but I'm underwhelmed by the spec sheet. I'd love to see the real-world opinion of a former GTI driver!

39292_1366938249.jpg

39311_1366938373.jpg

39287_1366938249.jpg

39323_1366938374.jpg

Any thoughts?

Holy shit, dude. Looks like it just rolled off the line it's so clean.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Gotcha. I assumed the Auris was for the wife, not that you had purchased two for yourself. Well, double grats!

I'm a GTI driver myself, a MK5 I'm about to sell. I've absolutely loved it but it's time to move on. Is it too early to ask you how the switch feels? From the abundant low RPM torque of the 2.0T to the higher revving GT-86. I've looked at it (the BRZ/FR-S here in Canada) but I was hoping they'd release a turbo version with a bit more "go". Admittedly I haven't driven one, but I'm underwhelmed by the spec sheet. I'd love to see the real-world opinion of a former GTI driver!

It's a bit early because I just started the break-in period (no revving over 4.000RPM, no hard braking etc.) and slowly am getting accustomed with the GT86.

Back Story of my decision was the following:
The GTI was my company car for private use for the last three years, and most of the kilometers on it were done while on job or for commute.

Since the GTI was a company car, I didn't do any racing or stuff, the Autobahn and the A-/B-Roads were the sole areas of operations.

My field of operations is quite large and covers a lot of curvy mountaineous roads as well as several of Autobahn, most of which is speed limited, though.

In everyday traffic, the GTI felt (don't laugh) overmotorized, even when I was able to floor it, the rush only lasted for a few kilometers because of the density of the traffic over here.

On A and B roads, the GTI felt a tad front-heavy, the ESP and stuff kicked in quite early for my tastes. Never felt insecure or out of control with the GTI, though.

Since most of the Autobahns I use to get to business appointments are speed-limited anyway, the GTI was kind of overkill and left me with quite a dent in the salary.

The main factor for abandoning the GTI was the ETA on the Navigation system: for most of my drives, the difference between flooring it and driving civilized was between 2 and 5 minutes, time which would be lost on inner city traffic lights, construction sites, railroad crossings and the like anyway.

Edit: it was the DSG model, which was great to drive but caused some kind of "detachment" from the car for a lack of a better word. It shifts perfectly, way better than you would do by manual, so after a few hundred miles, I didn't even touch the paddles anymore and let the DSG work its magic. Downside of that: Interaction with the car while swimming with the trafic was about none, made it boring. Step in, start engine, set NAV, travel from point A to B, repeat for the way back. That can be had with a smaller engine as well.

No need for a "fast" car on a job basis for me. So I went with the Auris Hybrid for the work-related mileage and got the GT 86 as the pleasure vehicle.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Alpha, that really sucks. But at least everyone's OK, and today I learned about Mondo Auto, which might come handy someday. I noticed that you said you left the drivers's side open, and that was probably the mistake you could have prevented. I'm obsessed about keeping the low profile on the car when getting in and out of it on any kind of the road. I rarely ever open the door fully to get in, in a situation like that. Truth it, the people don't look enough while they're driving.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Alpha, that really sucks. But at least everyone's OK, and today I learned about Mondo Auto, which might come handy someday. I noticed that you said you left the drivers's side open, and that was probably the mistake you could have prevented. I'm obsessed about keeping the low profile on the car when getting in and out of it on any kind of the road. I rarely ever open the door fully to get in, in a situation like that. Truth it, the people don't look enough while they're driving.

It sounds like even if the door was closed, the idiot taxi driver still would have side swiped everyone. The only mistake made here is by the taxi driver.

AlphaSnake

He struck two other cars before hitting mine. We were also in the left shoulder lane (the only shoulder lane available) where he shouldn't have ended up sandwiching between our cars and the highway divider.

Think about the absurdity of that.

39292_1366938249.jpg

39311_1366938373.jpg

39287_1366938249.jpg

39323_1366938374.jpg

Any thoughts?

Automatic. Save up and get a real M3 with 3 Pedals.

N-Bomb

It has a step surface just like a jet fighter, and the windows retract and lift. But you HAVE to climb in. Why? Because awesome is why.

I'd still rather have an Ariel Atom. I can't be the only one who thinks that that car is excessive, even by 80s standards.

WHY? RX8 are soulless pieces of Japanese shit. My friend had one that would take 10 minutes to start every time you went to full it with gas. It had no power on top of that and was not fun to drive at all and got horrible fuel economy. The interior was decent at best. So glad he sold it for a 328i convertible.

I've had the opposite experience with an RX-8. 10 minutes to start? My broke-ass 20 year old RX-7 never even had that problem. Dude's car was busted, or he bought a lemon.

Sidebar: Got my car dynoed on friday. Results show that my current turn is REALLY safe. It's running so rich at WoT that I'm losing power - but it won't knock!

So the tuner sez that he can probably claw back 40-50hp just with a proper tune - not bad! Gonna grab an upgraded boost controller so we can increase spool and responsiveness a bit. Maybe pull some more low-end torque out of the engine. We'll see. I figure in this case, I might be able to get all my power goals done with just an upgraded downpipe. Excited!

That's not the point of this car. It's biggest point is to be the bedroom posters of many adolescent males, just like a proper Lambo should be.

bed room posters? Kids do that these days?

Maybe the wallpaper on your idevice or something, but that's usually reserved for your waifus.

As gaf has shown, supercars aren't cool anymore. Such bad fuel economy!

Also the rx8 i've driven was fun. Something about that rotary engine feels good in a weird way. Would get one if it didn't eat fuel like a full size suv.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He struck two other cars before hitting mine. We were also in the left shoulder lane (the only shoulder lane available) where he shouldn't have ended up sandwiching between our cars and the highway divider.

Think about the absurdity of that.
Oh wow, I didn't even realize that. Seriously, cab drivers are the worst.

N-Bomb

bed room posters? Kids do that these days?

Maybe the wallpaper on your idevice or something, but that's usually reserved for your waifus.

As gaf has shown, supercars aren't cool anymore. Such bad fuel economy!

Also the rx8 i've driven was fun. Something about that rotary engine feels good in a weird way. Would get one if it didn't eat fuel like a full size suv.

Meh, supercars are cool when there's an edge of reality to them. That thing is like Full Retard.

As to the rotary - it's probably because of how smooth it is. Even moreso than a V12. There are literally no parts in it that reciprocate. Engine's got 3 major moving parts!

Stasis

It's a bit early because I just started the break-in period (no revving over 4.000RPM, no hard braking etc.) and slowly am getting accustomed with the GT86.

Back Story of my decision was the following:
The GTI was my company car for private use for the last three years, and most of the kilometers on it were done while on job or for commute.

Since the GTI was a company car, I didn't do any racing or stuff, the Autobahn and the A-/B-Roads were the sole areas of operations.

My field of operations is quite large and covers a lot of curvy mountaineous roads as well as several of Autobahn, most of which is speed limited, though.

In everyday traffic, the GTI felt (don't laugh) overmotorized, even when I was able to floor it, the rush only lasted for a few kilometers because of the density of the traffic over here.

On A and B roads, the GTI felt a tad front-heavy, the ESP and stuff kicked in quite early for my tastes. Never felt insecure or out of control with the GTI, though.

Since most of the Autobahns I use to get to business appointments are speed-limited anyway, the GTI was kind of overkill and left me with quite a dent in the salary.

The main factor for abandoning the GTI was the ETA on the Navigation system: for most of my drives, the difference between flooring it and driving civilized was between 2 and 5 minutes, time which would be lost on inner city traffic lights, construction sites, railroad crossings and the like anyway.

Edit: it was the DSG model, which was great to drive but caused some kind of "detachment" from the car for a lack of a better word. It shifts perfectly, way better than you would do by manual, so after a few hundred miles, I didn't even touch the paddles anymore and let the DSG work its magic. Downside of that: Interaction with the car while swimming with the trafic was about none, made it boring. Step in, start engine, set NAV, travel from point A to B, repeat for the way back. That can be had with a smaller engine as well.

No need for a "fast" car on a job basis for me. So I went with the Auris Hybrid for the work-related mileage and got the GT 86 as the pleasure vehicle.

I appreciate the back-story! I'll check in periodically to see future pics and experiences I'm sure you'll post as you have more fun with her. In your case it definitely makes sense to double-dip, as you say.

I have the DSG as well. I was hesitant initially, but I was splitting my time between NYC (downtown Manhattan) and Montreal (also downtown...) when I bought it, and the reviews were all so positive. I haven't regretted the decision once. I really have loved it, such a fun little gadget. I still get a kick out of flooring it from a standstill and instant-shifting through each gear. It's just different from anything else I'd ever experienced. I feel like I'll miss it.

Right now I live in the suburbs with decent roads, though nothing curvy or mountainous, and I commute 3 times a week to the city through horrendous traffic. I'm not sure I'd benefit much from a sporty coupe either, but part of me still wants one. I suppose I should go for some test-drives soon and figure out what to do.

surprised people are picking up 86s these days. Shouldn't MY2014 be hitting within a few months? Or are some supplies so bad that you needa want months for them after ordering?

there is nothing new in the 2014MY, so why wait?

To fix the few kinks people have with the first one? And I don't know about 86's but fr-s will have their new touchscreen infotainment system standard for all scions... which hopefully isn't complete shit like the current one (which at least has physical buttons).

Or get 2013 one when 14 is out for a few grand cheaper?

N-Bomb

To fix the few kinks people have with the first one? And I don't know about 86's but fr-s will have their new touchscreen infotainment system standard for all scions... which hopefully isn't complete shit like the current one (which at least has physical buttons).

Or get 2013 one when 14 is out for a few grand cheaper?

The only infotainment this guy needs are the road signs in front of the scenery.

WHY? RX8 are soulless pieces of Japanese shit. My friend had one that would take 10 minutes to start every time you went to full it with gas. It had no power on top of that and was not fun to drive at all and got horrible fuel economy. The interior was decent at best. So glad he sold it for a 328i convertible.

nice troll

AlphaSnake

Especially when AC is many menus deep down.

Is it BMW with the weird ass knob thing?

Lexus has that weird mouse thing lol.

I can't think of one car brand that has A/C settings exclusive to the touch screen. Toyota used to do this on all Lexus' (Lexi) and Prius' (Pri'i) but not any more. All car companies have resumed using separate controls for the A/C.

39292_1366938249.jpg

39311_1366938373.jpg

39287_1366938249.jpg

39323_1366938374.jpg

Any thoughts?

An E46 would be more of a future classic.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If anyone wants a Scion FR-S and lives in Palm Beach County, Earl Stewart Toyota-Scion has a red example with a stick shift for $27K with the upgraded infotainment system, paint protector, and splash guards.

isn't that scion bespoke infotainment system pure garbage? the ios app is 1 star rating and it apparently doesn't work with iphone 5 >.>

And seriously, ~$700 upgrade and it still has to use your phone's data and gps for nav?

Hey people, cry alligator tears for me.

Finding a good condition '80s 911 is turning out to be a pretty difficult task. There are never that many for sale, only a few with the options I'm looking for, and then rarely within a few hundred miles. There's a decent one in Houston, though, that I need to take a peak at.

AlphaSnake

I can. Tesla!

True. But it's not buried under a horde of options - it is ALWAYS displayed at the bottom of the screen, as if it were a physical stack on a normal car. You have the ability to hide it only when you're editing settings and menus. Otherwise, the AC controls are always displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom