• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on zee odd couple:
21ff614350108f85f918937c96e19c00.jpg

passed the 300 kilometer mark with both of them today.
Auris Hybrid: 40 liter tank still 3/4 full. Driving feels like a FWD Toyota with a CVT gearbox, a bit nervous and light on the steering, just as the one I test drove a couple months ago. ;) Reminds me of my old 1994 1.4 XLi Corolla.
12100002.jpg

GT 86: 50 liter tank at 1/4, going to reserve :D
What a difference. car feels planted and really low, heavy steering, GREAT gearbox, plain fun. Can't wait to kick it up to max RPM in a couple 100 kilometers.
3cf2bb9eb40597a589aed7d69da53083.jpg

d0a4772fc0c1d87d1546b965fe8e9f4e.jpg

Nice :)

Which car is longer? hard to tell from the pics.

Stasis

I'm gonna admit Onkel, yours looks great. I can't put my finger on it but I like it more than any I've seen driving out in the wild here. Maybe it's the fact that it's Toyota badged vs. Scion... that's silly, I know. All the tC drivers ruined Scion.

Maybe it's the color since I haven't seen a blue one yet... I have no idea, but it looks great. Could be the spoiler too. I don't think I've seen one with a spoiler here.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice :)

Which car is longer? hard to tell from the pics.
Auris: 4275 mm long, 1460 mm high, 1760 mm wide.
GT 86: 4240 mm long, 1285mm high, 1775 mm wide.
source: http://www.toyota.de/

I'm gonna admit Onkel, yours looks great. I can't put my finger on it but I like it more than any I've seen driving out in the wild here. Maybe it's the fact that it's Toyota badged vs. Scion... that's silly, I know. All the tC drivers ruined Scion.

Maybe it's the color since I haven't seen a blue one yet... I have no idea, but it looks great. Could be the spoiler too. I don't think I've seen one with a spoiler here.
thanks, I like it quite a bit too ;)

I ordered the blue without having seen it in person and am completely satisfied with it. Still, it's the most difficult color to photograph I habe encountered yet.
As for the specs, the GT 86 has HID as well as fog lights and the spoiler as standard equipment.

yeah the blue looks nice. So does the pearl white one.

pretty bummed that 86 isn't sold as toyota here, mainly because the lack of options for the fr-s kinda sucks. I guess I could get a brz but those are hard to come by with 2-3k above msrp and my family has always been a long time customer with 1 toyota dealership.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I still don't like the dual TFT screens. Looks like a throwback to the 80s -- and not in a good way.

Remind me of those old Buicks with those giant green digital displays...ugh

I don't understand why they couldn't break the two screens up for some flow. It's so ugly :\

ameratsu

Anyone have experience with Yokohama S.Drives? Looking to pick up a set for my integra. Yokohama is offering a MIR on a set of four ($70) which makes them pretty attractive.

Remind me of those old Buicks with those giant green digital displays...ugh

I don't understand why they couldn't break the two screens up for some flow. It's so ugly :\

I just don't get why they have to go for skeuomorphism if that's even considered that.

Give me some high concept artsy speedo and tach. Or ditch the screen.

Fixed1979

It's a beauty (though I don't like the shiny bits on the steering wheel):

more pics:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mercedes-benz-s-class/#photo-5880515/

Finally back to a more elegant and conservative design. It doesn't look as radical as the current S-class.

I'm a little torn on that. The center console buttons and the dual screens just seem off...will have to see it in person I guess. I love the idea of the large center console screen, but adding such a large one for the driver as well just doesn't look right, I think it's partially because the dials are so f'n big though.

ascii42

I'm a little torn on that. The center console buttons and the dual screens just seem off...will have to see it in person I guess. I love the idea of the large center console screen, but adding such a large one for the driver as well just doesn't look right, I think it's partially because the dials are so f'n big though.

I've driven the Jaguar XJ and Cadillac XTS, both of which have similarly large screens for the instrument cluster. Seemed fine in those cars. It's cool being able to reconfigure what appears where (like have basic navigation in the middle of the tachometer, for example).

giggler

Banned
Anyone have experience with Yokohama S.Drives? Looking to pick up a set for my integra. Yokohama is offering a MIR on a set of four ($70) which makes them pretty attractive.

I was looking at these, but went with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s 205/55/15 for my current set, about 20k miles on them and they're doing well. I had Bridgestone Potenza RE730 and RE750's for my previous two sets, also great summer tires, got about 50k out of each set. Unfortunately they don't make the current RE760 in my size. This on an integra gs-r in socal.

Fixed1979

I've driven the Jaguar XJ and Cadillac XTS, both of which have similarly large screens for the instrument cluster. Seemed fine in those cars. It's cool being able to reconfigure what appears where (like have basic navigation in the middle of the tachometer, for example).

For sure, I can see it being beneficial for a few things. It's an awesome screen for their Night View Assist.

AlphaSnake

As the owner of one of those old Buicks...huh?

Yeah, totally the same. I bet Mercedes even uses the cheap crappy ass fake wood :p

Not that.

This:

3277590003_large.jpg

And this:
1990_oldsmobile_eighty-eight-pic-7910726862359863687.jpeg

An 88 and LeSabre were the same shit.

But I forgot exactly which Buick had an ALL GREEN digital cluster (similar to the S2000). My uncle had one and I can't remember the year for the life of me.

AlphaSnake

I don't like this all digital trend at all, but every one is doing it (except for Audi I think).

Audi and Jaguar have kept traditional gauges alive. BMW has made theirs half digital. Lexus is transitioning as well.

Infiniti and Acura have retained analogue, as well.

ameratsu

I was looking at these, but went with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s 205/55/15 for my current set, about 20k miles on them and they're doing well. I had Bridgestone Potenza RE730 and RE750's for my previous two sets, also great summer tires, got about 50k out of each set. Unfortunately they don't make the current RE760 in my size. This on an integra gs-r in socal.

Yeah I would be looking for some in the 205/50/15 size as opposed to 205/55/15. While those Firehawk tires are the same price as the Yokohamas here in Canada ($130/ea), the Yokohamas win out with the $70 off promo based on price at least. I am also driving a gs-r.

the Toyota Soarer had some nice digital gauges
soarerdashontest.jpg

I wish I could get a better image

This one works, but it has that extra timer or something on it
dash2o.jpg

The technophile part of me has absolutely no problem with all digital gauges as long as they do them tastefully, and not make them look like some garbage out of speed racer.

My Volks arrived from Japan today (rears). The wait is well worth it!

I'm picking up another set in another colour. I am holding off on it till I decide on a car colour...

I meant super colorful, all over the place design.

I think this is from the Veneno:

482439_523060177736080_1228398716_n.jpg

as long as it's legible and not skewmorphism, I think i'll be ok with it. Having analog dials on a digital screen... fuck that.

Haven't there been cars where the dash hud info is on the windshield? Think i read about it in a popular science a few years back. might have been a vette?

FStop7

Banned
as long as it's legible and not skewmorphism, I think i'll be ok with it. Having analog dials on a digital screen... fuck that.

Haven't there been cars where the dash hud info is on the windshield? Think i read about it in a popular science a few years back. might have been a vette?

Lots of cars have that now. It's a pretty simple trick.

There is a projector on the dashboard that projects an LCD readout onto a section of the windshield with a special coating. That's pretty much all there is to it.

giggler

Banned
Yeah I would be looking for some in the 205/50/15 size as opposed to 205/55/15. While those Firehawk tires are the same price as the Yokohamas here in Canada ($130/ea), the Yokohamas win out with the $70 off promo based on price at least. I am also driving a gs-r.

i got my firehawks for $80 US each last february, from http://www.onlinetires.com/. I lived near their warehouse so I didn't even have to pay shipping. I'm sure the yokos are good, check there for a possible better price on them.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/yokohama/205%2F50-15+yokohama+s.drive+86v+bw.html

$88

ascii42

The Oldsmobile Cutlass offered a HUD back in the late '80s. They've come a long way from there. Now they can show things like navigation arrows, radio information, G forces, all kinds of crap.

ameratsu

i got my firehawks for $80 US each last february, from http://www.onlinetires.com/. I lived near their warehouse so I didn't even have to pay shipping. I'm sure the yokos are good, check there for a possible better price on them.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/yokohama/205%2F50-15+yokohama+s.drive+86v+bw.html

$88

I'm Canadian, so I pay more for just about everything. Nothing new there.

But I won't go bankrupt if I get sick without employer-sponsored insurance, so there's that :p

I am looking at getting an FD now.

Why do I just not desire to buy a new car and not work on everything all the time, oh thats right, masochism.

AlphaSnake

My mom has an S60 AWD and it's a FANTASTIC car. Much better than an A4, C-Class, and every bit as good as a 3-series.

ascii42

My mom has an S60 AWD and it's a FANTASTIC car. Much better than an A4, C-Class, and every bit as good as a 3-series.

I'm not going to be looking to buy a new sedan any time soon, but if I decide I want a wagon the V60 (when they bring it over here), would likely be my first choice.

We're still talking about cars right?

Possibly.
Ummm...wow the BMW 2-series is absolutely gorgeous. No stupid lines, creases, or angles. Just pure design. Basically the best aspects of the E36, the E46, and E92 mixed into one package.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/16/bmw-2-series-caught-uncovered-during-shoot/

It looks like a smooshed 6 series.

Give me one with a LSD, Non-Electric PS, Under 3000lbs and we have a deal.

Ummm...wow the BMW 2-series is absolutely gorgeous. No stupid lines, creases, or angles. Just pure design. Basically the best aspects of the E36, the E46, and E92 mixed into one package.

I guess it looks okay, but the car really seems too short for the profile they're using; it compresses the roof-line and makes it look too much like a bubble. I think it would be better served as a hatch.

AlphaSnake

I guess it looks okay, but the car really seems too short for the profile they're using; it compresses the roof-line and makes it look too much like a bubble. I think it would be better served as a hatch.

This is the replacement to the 1-series coupe. It's slightly elongated, but yes, still compressed.

Still, I love it.

N-Bomb

I am looking at getting an FD now.

Why do I just not desire to buy a new car and not work on everything all the time, oh thats right, masochism.

WELCOME!! To the club I want to join.

Possibly.

It looks like a smooshed 6 series.

Give me one with a LSD, Non-Electric PS, Under 3000lbs and we have a deal.

This could go for so many cars though.

Aren't I the one who's supposed to be complaining about stupid lines, creases, and angles? Looks alright though. Better than the new 3, at least.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can someone explain to me how BMW naming scheme works? It's something I figure out... then forget about in a week :/

From now on, even numbers = coupe, odd numbers = sedan.

1-series/2-series are on the same platform

3-series/4-series are on the same platform

5-series/6-series are on the same platform

And then the 7-series stands on its own as the "flagship" model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom