• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't mind a plastic interior, but I definitely prefer a more utilitarian approach when those kinds of materials are used. The less gaudy and intricate it is, the less stuff falls apart. One of the things I love about Subaru is they don't try to dress up their interiors.

Major bummer.

One of the biggest turn off about focus st is the interior for me.

That cheap boost gauge looks like something off of buzz light year.

It is a fun ass car though.

sqwarlock

I appreciate the back-story! I'll check in periodically to see future pics and experiences I'm sure you'll post as you have more fun with her. In your case it definitely makes sense to double-dip, as you say.

I have the DSG as well. I was hesitant initially, but I was splitting my time between NYC (downtown Manhattan) and Montreal (also downtown...) when I bought it, and the reviews were all so positive. I haven't regretted the decision once. I really have loved it, such a fun little gadget. I still get a kick out of flooring it from a standstill and instant-shifting through each gear. It's just different from anything else I'd ever experienced. I feel like I'll miss it.

Right now I live in the suburbs with decent roads, though nothing curvy or mountainous, and I commute 3 times a week to the city through horrendous traffic. I'm not sure I'd benefit much from a sporty coupe either, but part of me still wants one. I suppose I should go for some test-drives soon and figure out what to do.

I'm with you on the DSG. I have a 2012 GTI and since I hadn't driven a manual since high school (over 10 years ago) I didn't feel like re-learning on a brand new car; I bought the DSG version instead and have loved every minute I'm in it. Sure there's a bit of a disconnect, but if I really want to feel a little more connected I just slap my stick into manual mode and play around that way.

I've only been on curvy roads once with her (from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back) but oh my lord was it fun. Definitely need to get around to doing that more now that I've owned it for just over a year. That being said, getting up to 100 on an extended on-ramp makes me giddy enough to forget how well she handles the curves.

I don't ever plan on getting rid of my GTI either. I got the 5-door version as a sort of "future-proofing" if I ever start a family.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got the new ride. Driving sure is a lot more fun and involving in Europe, I have to admit. Hitting the side roads on a mountainside at dusk is a blast.

4Jo.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
To fix the few kinks people have with the first one? And I don't know about 86's but fr-s will have their new touchscreen infotainment system standard for all scions... which hopefully isn't complete shit like the current one (which at least has physical buttons).

Or get 2013 one when 14 is out for a few grand cheaper?
Ah OK, the Euro GT 86 comes with touchscreen as standard:

ameratsu

What's wrong with the standard 2-din deck in the scion? Not enough buttons? Not flashy enough? It's a basic radio in a car designed to keep superfluous costs down. I don't see the problem.

What's wrong with the standard 2-din deck in the scion? Not enough buttons? Not flashy enough? It's a basic radio in a car designed to keep superfluous costs down. I don't see the problem.

But they just announced that all 2014 scion cars will have some new scion infotainment system default, so it might not be due to costs.

I wasn't aware Scions were in any way "cheap."

well... the fr-s is their most expensive car at 25k.

Think the cheapest is iQ? Or something at like 14k.

Seems pretty cheap?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But they just announced that all 2014 scion cars will have some new scion infotainment system default, so it might not be due to costs.

well... the fr-s is their most expensive car at 25k.

Think the cheapest is iQ? Or something at like 14k.

Seems pretty cheap?

First off the Scion iq is 15.5k, for a total POS that you would have to be insane to purchase. Secondly, if you can buy an FR-S for $25k, I will give you $26k for it today.

sca2511

I appreciate the back-story! I'll check in periodically to see future pics and experiences I'm sure you'll post as you have more fun with her. In your case it definitely makes sense to double-dip, as you say.

I have the DSG as well. I was hesitant initially, but I was splitting my time between NYC (downtown Manhattan) and Montreal (also downtown...) when I bought it, and the reviews were all so positive. I haven't regretted the decision once. I really have loved it, such a fun little gadget. I still get a kick out of flooring it from a standstill and instant-shifting through each gear. It's just different from anything else I'd ever experienced. I feel like I'll miss it.

Right now I live in the suburbs with decent roads, though nothing curvy or mountainous, and I commute 3 times a week to the city through horrendous traffic. I'm not sure I'd benefit much from a sporty coupe either, but part of me still wants one. I suppose I should go for some test-drives soon and figure out what to do.
Agreed. Love my DSG. I think my future cars would have to have the option. Just the ability to switch in and out of manual mode is worth it to me. Though I wouldn't mind a manual S2K or Miata.

N-Bomb

The steering wheel also feels plastic.
I could see 300lbs of torque being fun, but that steering feel is so numb.

Yeah, it's pretty fun. (From last friday - dunno if you mean @ crank or wheels... about 25% drivetrain loss w/ AWD)
aXmvhaS.png

Better tune should net me another 40-50 hp and likely a similar amount of torque. If I go up to 94 octane, I can probably squeeze out even more! Tempted! Probably going to get a downpipe and leave it at that for power mods.

At least it's double DIN and you can replace it easily with a single DIN unit and a cubby pocket.

First off the Scion iq is 15.5k, for a total POS that you would have to be insane to purchase. Secondly, if you can buy an FR-S for $25k, I will give you $26k for it today.

no deal... because after tax it's like 27k :p

but yeah if you are near the southeast, World Toyota has like 3 fr-s's for msrp or near it.

http://www.worldtoyota.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=fr-s

iQ's that bad? looks kinda cute! But not sure why you would get that instead of like a yaris .

Stinkles

Stasis

I don't ever plan on getting rid of my GTI either. I got the 5-door version as a sort of "future-proofing" if I ever start a family.

I've been tempted by newer GTIs, and thought of going the 4-door route as well, for the same reasons as you. I was tempted quite recently by a white Autobahn. I think it looks great and I love the new wheels on it, but with the MK7 coming shortly and being on the new MQB platform with an additional 20-30 ponies it just didn't make much sense for me to get a MK6 right now. I'm kind of a mess when it comes to car selection atm .Part of me wants to get a sport coupe (370Z, G37, etc) and a winter beater, part of me wants a MK7 GTI, and part of me wants to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee since I absolutely love the new model. Though my gf may get a small sport ute like a CX-5 or the new Escape so I suppose that'd work for convenience sake and would make the Jeep a little redundant, household-wise.

A car I'd be sold on and wait for (or perhaps just preorder outright) immediately after announcement is a MK7 Golf R with closer to 300hp/tq and a DSG option.

Hey people, cry alligator tears for me.

Finding a good condition '80s 911 is turning out to be a pretty difficult task. There are never that many for sale, only a few with the options I'm looking for, and then rarely within a few hundred miles. There's a decent one in Houston, though, that I need to take a peak at.

This is where you find one across the country, fly over, and have a cruise all the way back.

Ash_69

Thinking about getting a new (well new for me) car and need some input.

Requirements-

-Must look good. Sports coupe/gt looks, no boxy hatchbacks
-Must be able to sit 4 people relatively comfortably. I went to test drive an Audi tts and decided not to as soon as I tried out the back seats. Unless you have no head or are under 5 ft tall, you're not getting in the back.
-Must be relatively quick I.e. under 6 seconds to 60. I'm used to impulse power and don't think I can do without it now.
-must ride comfortably enough on bad roads. Unfortuantely, I am also used to a harsh ride and would no longer consider an out and out sports car without comfort settings whilst living in an area with roads that look like they've been plowed.
-no more than 40k miles
-approx budget of GBP 15000 although I can go a little higher if I found the right car.

I was thinking about a 6 series beemer or s5. Thoughts or other suggestions please!

It's way too big for its own good and looks cheaper than it is. That's what happens when you try to put a bog standard radio in the same spot a touchscreen would go--without redesigning the space in the dash where it fits it looks empty and weird.

This is where you find one across the country, fly over, and have a cruise all the way back.

I'm probably going to end up doing that (and did it in the past with another car), but for something this old that still carries a premium I'd like to see it in person first. Having a PPI done at a shop by the car works, but it's just not the same as seeing it yourself and driving it.

Stinkles

isn't that the whole deal with Scion though? for better or worse it's pretty much msrp you are paying for.

No, that's Saturn (who bizarrely stopped doing it, finally added a couple of decent cars, and promptly went out of business). Scions are often priced higher than MSRP - and in the case of the FR-S in particular, quite a LOT over MSRP. Dealers are allowed to charge whatever they want.

SummitAve

Banned
I like buttons. I can feel around my stereo controls without ever having to actually look at it and take my eyes off the road. I'm also anti GPS, and I suppose any sort of screen in general being in my automobile dash.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm not sure whether I'd like buttons or a touch screen. Buttons seem more reliable but touchscreens are fancy.

I'm probably going to end up doing that (and did it in the past with another car), but for something this old that still carries a premium I'd like to see it in person first. Having a PPI done at a shop by the car works, but it's just not the same as seeing it yourself and driving it.

I am sure its a great time doing a trip like that. I would say find a city that has 3 or so fine examples and then fly over, get a hotel and make it an experience.

No, that's Saturn (who bizarrely stopped doing it, finally added a couple of decent cars, and promptly went out of business). Scions are often priced higher than MSRP - and in the case of the FR-S in particular, quite a LOT over MSRP. Dealers are allowed to charge whatever they want.

weird, kelly bluebook says fr-s's are sold at msrp. The dealers i've been to say they sell at msrp (+ w/e garbage they have on it).

The brz's here are like 1-2 grand over msrp.

Stinkles

weird, kelly bluebook says fr-s's are sold at msrp. The dealers i've been to say they sell at msrp (+ w/e garbage they have on it).

The brz's here are like 1-2 grand over msrp.

You won't see a deviation on the MSRP for Scion 'til you get to the negotiation with the dealer. Scion can force advertising rates to lock at MSRP - but they can't compel individual dealers to maintain a price. Saturn dealers I believe (and someone can correct me) were part owned by GM.

That's a beautiful interior. Nice job Merc. First time I've seen an Audi interior get beat.

In a coule of years after I sell the C7 and I need a big boy car, I might have to pick up a used S class. I'm blown away by that interior.

ascii42

You won't see a deviation on the MSRP for Scion 'til you get to the negotiation with the dealer. Scion can force advertising rates to lock at MSRP - but they can't compel individual dealers to maintain a price. Saturn dealers I believe (and someone can correct me) were part owned by GM.
I'm pretty much positive Saturn dealers were independently owned and operated. Saturn in general operated pretty independently from GM for a while.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Update on zee odd couple:
21ff614350108f85f918937c96e19c00.jpg

passed the 300 kilometer mark with both of them today.
Auris Hybrid: 40 liter tank still 3/4 full. Driving feels like a FWD Toyota with a CVT gearbox, a bit nervous and light on the steering, just as the one I test drove a couple months ago. ;) steering reminds me of my old 1994 1.4 XLi Corolla.
12100002.jpg

GT 86: 50 liter tank at 1/4, going to reserve :D
What a difference. car feels planted and really low, heavy steering, GREAT gearbox, plain fun. Can't wait to kick it up to max RPM in a couple 100 kilometers.
3cf2bb9eb40597a589aed7d69da53083.jpg

d0a4772fc0c1d87d1546b965fe8e9f4e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom