• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now on, even numbers = coupe, odd numbers = sedan.

1-series/2-series are on the same platform

3-series/4-series are on the same platform

5-series/6-series are on the same platform

And then the 7-series stands on its own as the "flagship" model.

The last two numbers used to designate engine sized but now with all those turbos its just a crap shoot.

The M designates a sports model.

ascii42

From now on, even numbers = coupe, odd numbers = sedan.

1-series/2-series are on the same platform

3-series/4-series are on the same platform

5-series/6-series are on the same platform

And then the 7-series stands on its own as the "flagship" model.

And then the second and third digit used to stand for displacement (e.g. 325i = 3 series with 2.5L engine). Now thanks to turbos and such, they just are used as some vague representation of power. The "i" at the end stands for fuel injection, which really just is used to distinguish gasoline based cars from diesel cars, which have a "d" at the end instead.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The last two numbers used to designate engine sized but now with all those turbos its just a crap shoot.

The M designates a sports model.

And then the second and third digit used to stand for displacement (e.g. 325i = 3 series with 2.5L engine). Now thanks to turbos and such, they just are used as some vague representation of power. The "i" at the end stands for fuel injection, which really just is used to distinguish gasoline based cars from diesel cars, which have a "d" at the end instead.

Yup!

And if you see an "x" designation after the number series, then that means all-wheel drive.

cbox

I'm hoping someone could help me out, I have a mazda 3 2010 and I'm hearing some internal rattling when I go over rough roads. It sounds like it might be the speaker, but I want to be sure before trying to replace it. The speaker sounds ok when I pump the music, there might be a bit of distortion if there's too much bass. Note this is the speak on the driver side door, near the floor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/351727/vibration.mp3 Starts around 8 seconds

I'm hoping someone could help me out, I have a mazda 3 2010 and I'm hearing some internal rattling when I go over rough roads. It sounds like it might be the speaker, but I want to be sure before trying to replace it. The speaker sounds ok when I pump the music, there might be a bit of distortion if there's too much bass. Note this is the speak on the driver side door, near the floor.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/351727/vibration.mp3 Starts around 8 seconds

Don't see why it would be your speakers if your audio is off? But it does sound like a dodgy connection.

I reckon it's more likely to be a heatshield resonating, or a cable.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
so size, price. I was basically right. Cool thanks!

how about E's like E46?
Internal generational platform designation used by BMW. It's a bit tricky.

For example: E30 refers to a late 80s early 90s 3-series platform. E36 refers to a mid to late 90s 3-series, while E46 refers to a early '00s to mid 00s 3-series. Sorta, kinda, depending on the region!

It's kinda a crapshoot.

Wikipedia has a decent breakdown:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bmw_3_series

Yup E was used to designate chassis codes.
Instead of going to triple digit E numbers, they started over using F numbers starting with the 7 series being the F01.

M used to designate different regular engines but once again they move away from that and use N to designate engines now.

S is used to designate special motors that the M division built.

M50 was the motor used in the e36 and e34 from 92 to 96.
S50 was the motor used in the e36 m3 in 1995.

If you want to get more technical after the designation bmw would include a B number to show displacement size as they could the same motor with different displacements.

For example the inline 6 used in the e30 in america came with two different M20 engines.
The M20B27 was used in the 325E and was a detuned version of the M20B25. They make the engine stroke much longer but the heads were so small that it killed any horsepower.

So to Recap
E&F are Chassis Codes.
M,N,S are Engine Codes.
B is used after M,N,S to show displacement size.
TU stands for technical update for an engine. For Example BMW had the M52b28TU where they added variable valve timing to the exhaust valves on early e46s and later e39s, before they came out with the revised M54.

I know way too much shit about BMW.

Kobe24

Need help buying a car! I really want a GT-R, but it would have to be a 09/10 model since the prices skyrocket in the new makes and read stuff about maintenance/costs as a daily driver. Plus, insurance/monthly payments Any ideas?

-Has to be sports car
- 4 seats
- $20-35k. Can go higher if necessary

Need help buying a car! I really want a GT-R, but it would have to be a 09/10 model since the prices skyrocket in the new makes and read stuff about maintenance/costs as a daily driver. Plus, insurance/monthly payments Any ideas?

-Has to be sports car
- 4 seats

E92 M3.
414Horsepower. 8300 rpm redline from a 4L V8.

Ovid

-Has to be sports car
- 4 seats
How do you go from GT-R territory all the way down to potentially a used 350/370Z!? Shit doesn't compute.

-Has to be sports car
- 4 seats

Define sports car. Is it the looks or the power or the handling or the (dis)comfort?

Oh and two door or four door?

Genesis coupe seems to be popular these days, but reviews aren't kind.

That and 86 and... That's pretty much it. 370z is a 2 seater right?

My definition is rwd coupe that's not a muscle car lol.

MisterNoisy

Genesis coupe seems to be popular these days, but reviews aren't kind.

That and 86 and... That's pretty much it. 370z is a 2 seater right?

My definition is rwd coupe that's not a muscle car lol.

Genesis Coupe is fun, but flawed. The shifter is a bit ropey, the interior is a bit iffy (though the seats fucking rule) and the ride on Track/R-Spec models is pretty harsh. It's a ton of fun if you want to hang the tail out, though.

Halvie

Banned

-Has to be sports car
- 4 seats

09-10 gtr aren't that cheap already are they?

how do plugin hybrids work? You need to fuel it up AND charge it up?

I think it depends on the system. Some hybrids use the ICE to power the batteries which power the car (like the Karma IIRC). Some hybrids can be plugged in to charge the batteries, but need to be fueled up to power the ICE for more intense/high speed driving like the Volt.

Sooo what are the actual pros of a plugin hybrid supercar?

I don't think the folks that can afford this are pinching pennies on gas (but rich people do like to be green based off beverly hills folks)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I don't think the folks that can afford this are pinching pennies on gas (but rich people do like to be green based off beverly hills folks)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:
Extra horsepower for one. But mainly to create technology that trickles down to the more ordinary cars.

Milchjon

Prestige. You can flaunt your money and still kinda look like a considerate person.

FStop7

Banned

Trickle down effect, I suppose.

I'm not particularly impressed with the 918, tbh.

The real thing doesn't look nearly as good as the concept and the technology is superfluous. It would be a faster car if they removed that crap, so why have it there at all? It adds nothing.

N-Bomb

Best designed cars of all time, based on N-Bomb's design criteria:

*lots of foaming at the mouth*

Hey Reilo, these fell out of your pocket:

2013-Lexus-LS460-f-sport-grille_rdax_646x396.jpg

Mitsuoka-Orochi-2.jpg

weber-sportcars-faster-one-hr-01.jpg

Let's be honest. If there's no Clarkson, Top Gear will cease.

For once, Enron is not wrong.

And insta-torque!

Anti-lag is actually quite a bit cheaper :eek:

AzerPhire

My wife and I are planning on getting a CSUV/SUV later in the fall but I have already started researching so that the buying experience is easier. I was hoping to get GAFs input on some vehicles we are considering.

So far from reading reviews and just general preferences we have narrowed our list to the following:

-Cadillax SRX
-Ford Escape
-Hyundai Sante Fe
-Mazda CX5
-VW Tiguan

The main features we are looking for are:

-Fun to drive
-Safe
-Reliable
-Quality materials

The Cadillac is included on the list because I am able to get an employee discount through GM which brings the cost closer in line with the high end models of the other SUVs on my list. Not a big fan of the CRV, RAV4, Equinox and Forester which is why they are off my list.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SUVs I listed? We plan on test driving them within the next month or two but it helps to have some feedback from people who drive these cars on a daily basis.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My wife and I are planning on getting a CSUV/SUV later in the fall but I have already started researching so that the buying experience is easier. I was hoping to get GAFs input on some vehicles we are considering.

So far from reading reviews and just general preferences we have narrowed our list to the following:

-Cadillax SRX
-Ford Escape
-Hyundai Sante Fe
-Mazda CX5
-VW Tiguan

The main features we are looking for are:

-Fun to drive
-Safe
-Reliable
-Quality materials

The Cadillac is included on the list because I am able to get an employee discount through GM which brings the cost closer in line with the high end models of the other SUVs on my list. Not a big fan of the CRV, RAV4, Equinox and Forester which is why they are off my list.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SUVs I listed? We plan on test driving them within the next month or two but it helps to have some feedback from people who drive these cars on a daily basis.

cx5 for logic, Cadillac for comfort and features.

AzerPhire

You want reliable but list GM, Ford and VW but not Honda, Toyota or Subaru. I can't stop laughing.

Sorry not a big fan of Honda or Toyota. I like the idea of the Subaru and the reviews are great but I just can't get past the boring looks. If I am going to spend that kind of money I at least want to drive something that looks nice and is fun to drive.

My family all drives GM and have not had any problems with any of their vehicles and my last car was 08 WV Rabbit that ran beautifully. I know that is a small sample but that is my experience of the brands.

ford seems to be on the shitlist of consumer reports reliability these days, might wanna pass on the escape.

CX5 is probably the funnest to drive out of those.

If you are thinking cuv's would hot hatchbacks work too?

ascii42

ford seems to be on the shitlist of consumer reports reliability these days, might wanna pass on the escape.

CX5 is probably the funnest to drive out of those.

If you are thinking cuv's would hot hatchbacks work too?

Ford is on Consumer Reports's shitlist because of MyFord Touch more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom