• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford is on Consumer Reports's shitlist because of MyFord Touch more than anything else.

Those are still bad? I thought they just had a recent new version. The one I saw at an auto show looked alright... had like dual dpads on the steering wheel.

Software still buggy as shit then?

Hatchbacks worth a look in the states, Focus st (I guess stay away from MyFord option, but it's quite fun), GTI (not a big fan with how they look though), Mazda Speed3 (its stupid fun when the turbo kicks in).

The answer is a Porsche Cayenne.

Pros:
-A fantastic vehicle to drive
-When sitting in it you can't see the exterior
-You don't have to read Consumer Reports on its reliability
-Your wallet is too fat anyway

Cons:
-None!

The answer is a Porsche Cayenne.

Pros:
-A fantastic vehicle to drive
-When sitting in it you can't see the exterior
-You don't have to read Consumer Reports on its reliability
-Your wallet is too fat anyway

Cons:
-None!

Used ones are quite affordable too.

They also transform. Transforming is cool.

AzerPhire

Porsche is out of budget. Looking to spend max $40k all in.

As for the hatches mentioned I think they are a bit too small. Wife and I plan on starting a family in the future so we are looking for something we can grow into without being too big.

Sorry not a big fan of Honda or Toyota. I like the idea of the Subaru and the reviews are great but I just can't get past the boring looks. If I am going to spend that kind of money I at least want to drive something that looks nice and is fun to drive.

My family all drives GM and have not had any problems with any of their vehicles and my last car was 08 WV Rabbit that ran beautifully. I know that is a small sample but that is my experience of the brands.

how big of a car? you should look at the subaru crosstrek. we took a drive in one but decided it was too small for our needs, and we are definitely glad we went with the outback.

N-Bomb

My wife and I are planning on getting a CSUV/SUV later in the fall but I have already started researching so that the buying experience is easier. I was hoping to get GAFs input on some vehicles we are considering.

So far from reading reviews and just general preferences we have narrowed our list to the following:

-Cadillax SRX
-Ford Escape
-Hyundai Sante Fe
-Mazda CX5
-VW Tiguan

The main features we are looking for are:

-Fun to drive
-Safe
-Reliable
-Quality materials

The Cadillac is included on the list because I am able to get an employee discount through GM which brings the cost closer in line with the high end models of the other SUVs on my list. Not a big fan of the CRV, RAV4, Equinox and Forester which is why they are off my list.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SUVs I listed? We plan on test driving them within the next month or two but it helps to have some feedback from people who drive these cars on a daily basis.

I don't mean to be rude, but you will be able to find one that is built well and reliable, but none of them are much safer than normal cars. Fun to drive is nearly non-existent in vehicles of that type, and espeially at that price range.

However, check out the new Subaru Forester. Not only is it the only recent SUV to get a good rating in all the IIHS crash tests, it's a bit spunkier, and should meet your other criteria.

At the expense of reduced durability, noise, and the fact it doesn't increase torque? :p It's a cool concept though.

It basically lowers the revs at which the turbo makes boost. So no, it won't increase torque above what the turbo would normally make, but it'll make that torque available at REALLY low RPMs.

And hell, if you can afford a 918, rebuilding your turbo every few months won't faze you.

No ICE can match the immediacy of an electric motor.

But it has advantages in other areas. Not least of which is the sound and fury. :D

Hatchbacks worth a look in the states, Focus st (I guess stay away from MyFord option, but it's quite fun), GTI (not a big fan with how they look though), Mazda Speed3 (its stupid fun when the turbo kicks in).

...WRX STi hatch <.<

It basically lowers the revs at which the turbo makes boost. So no, it won't increase torque above what the turbo would normally make, but it'll make that torque available at REALLY low RPMs.

And hell, if you can afford a 918, rebuilding your turbo every few months won't faze you.

I know what it does... It's just not something you'd see in a Porsche though. Doesn't really contend with the EM capabilities. The only thing it has over it is noise and the fact it's still a raw mechanical piece of engineering.

EDIT: lol turbo/exhaust rebuild, I could only imagine the look on the project leaders' faces if I walked that proposal in at my place of work. A serviceable turbo and exhaust system.

Threw new Billy Sports and HR Sport Springs on my 328i last night.
Sent it off to the body shop to get the damaged fixed on the drivers rear quarter.

Next Stop 300k miles.

My wife and I are planning on getting a CSUV/SUV later in the fall but I have already started researching so that the buying experience is easier. I was hoping to get GAFs input on some vehicles we are considering.

So far from reading reviews and just general preferences we have narrowed our list to the following:

-Cadillax SRX
-Ford Escape
-Hyundai Sante Fe
-Mazda CX5
-VW Tiguan

The main features we are looking for are:

-Fun to drive
-Safe
-Reliable
-Quality materials

The Cadillac is included on the list because I am able to get an employee discount through GM which brings the cost closer in line with the high end models of the other SUVs on my list. Not a big fan of the CRV, RAV4, Equinox and Forester which is why they are off my list.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the SUVs I listed? We plan on test driving them within the next month or two but it helps to have some feedback from people who drive these cars on a daily basis.

I'm currently looking for a SUV for my wife and our expanding family. Out of the car you've listed, I'd go with the SRX. That's currently on the top of my list right now. I've looked at the Q5, Tiguan and JX.

Overall I found it to have the most value for the money. The Q5 was nice, but by the time you added the tech package and other smaller items, it pushed the cost past $55K (Canadian). To me it was not wroth it, compared to what you get with the SRX. And this is coming from a guy who's not all that fond of domestic car manufactures.

The JX would be second on my list. There's just a few things I didn't like with the visibility out of the rear, and the $9K tech package.

The Tiguan was overpriced for what it is...Seriously, go take a look for yourself and see.

In the end, I think we will end up with a SRX sometime next spring. It also doesn't hurt that my wife's uncle works for GM so we get family pricing. I should come out with a fully loaded SRX with tech package and moon roof for $48K CND.

coldfoot

Banned
the new one?

And you'd hope there is some rear seat leg room now that Accords are classified as full sized :p

Still think 'Earth Dreams' is one of the worse engine names ever.

Yep, they bought a brand new one. Actually I talked them into upgrading from a civic to an accord (they were dead set on a honda, despite my Mazda6 pleas), as it's a much better car anyways.

what was the thing that made the ricer tuner crowd bail on civics?

Why are Land Cruisers so expensive? I know they kickass offroad and on road, but is there some specific thing that makes them price at 80 grand?

TylerD

I had a little rear end clunk diagnosed and fixed on my car today. It turned out to be a loose bolt in rear right sway bar link. They also did a once over of all the other suspension components and bushings and everything looks really good. Guy at the shop said it was the tightest feeling E46 he had driven in years which made me feel pretty good. Only cost me $47.

minx

I'm currently looking for a SUV for my wife and our expanding family. Out of the car you've listed, I'd go with the SRX. That's currently on the top of my list right now. I've looked at the Q5, Tiguan and JX.

Overall I found it to have the most value for the money. The Q5 was nice, but by the time you added the tech package and other smaller items, it pushed the cost past $55K (Canadian). To me it was not wroth it, compared to what you get with the SRX. And this is coming from a guy who's not all that fond of domestic car manufactures.

The JX would be second on my list. There's just a few things I didn't like with the visibility out of the rear, and the $9K tech package.

The Tiguan was overpriced for what it is...Seriously, go take a look for yourself and see.

In the end, I think we will end up with a SRX sometime next spring. It also doesn't hurt that my wife's uncle works for GM so we get family pricing. I should come out with a fully loaded SRX with tech package and moon roof for $48K CND.

Grand Cherokee better deal in the luxury SUV segment.

coldfoot

Banned
GAF, please tell me some horror maintenance stories about the newest BMW 7-series so I can convince my friend against getting a 2010 750i xdrive...

Flo_Evans

That can't be right unless it's using a Lithium-ion battery. Changing a battery in the trunk looks to be even easier than changing one in its regular location.

lol

I can't even count the times I've said "that can't be right" trying to get service for my BMW. They are kick ass cars but very expensive to maintain.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
62d3d2abc4e3e34bbc0c67413cb5120f.jpg
;)

That can't be right unless it's using a Lithium-ion battery. Changing a battery in the trunk looks to be even easier than changing one in its regular location.

ECU has to be reintroduced to the battery and a ton of shit has to be set back up again.
Most of that is the 2 hours of work they charge.

coldfoot

Banned
ECU has to be reintroduced to the battery and a ton of shit has to be set back up again.

Meh, it'll run just fine without registering the battery, only thing is that it will run down faster. Not an issue when your $120 Walmart battery comes with 6-year free replacement warranty.
So, please give more serious issues like transmission, engine, etc, to deter my friend.

grendelrt

I just did mine in the M3, 200ish for the battery plus 49 at a local BMW shop to register it. Still stupid expensive, but not as bad as the dealership, they wanted like 150 to register it.

GuessWho

for you 86 owners out there do you find that the fuel light comes up way too early? Mine was a little above the E and it came on. How many kms/miles can you do when light comes on?

ascii42

Yep. The battery itself is $280-$340, the labor is 1+ hour.

And then BMW has to re-code/program the new battery to the car, otherwise it won't work.

A friend of mine had a Jetta in college. One day the battery died because the lights were left on. I started to look for my jumper cables. When he told me the Jetta couldn't be jumped because it had to be reprogrammed or whatever, my jaw dropped. German engineering indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom