• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
Yep. The battery itself is $280-$340, the labor is 1+ hour.

And then BMW has to re-code/program the new battery to the car, otherwise it won't work.

Bullshit on the battery price, Autozone gives me a nice battery with 3 year free replacement warranty for $145. You can either find a cheap shop to register the battery to your car, buy the tool and do it yourself for $100, or just don't bother with it and just use your free replacement after 3 years to get a new battery. More electronics on cars is good for software geeks like me, I bet I can fix a lot on modern cars that don't involve physical labor/wrenching.

Bullshit on the battery price, Autozone gives me a nice battery with 3 year free replacement warranty for $145. You can either find a cheap shop to register the battery to your car, buy the tool and do it yourself for $100, or just don't bother with it and just use your free replacement after 3 years to get a new battery. More electronics on cars is good for software geeks like me, I bet I can fix a lot on modern cars that don't involve physical labor/wrenching.

So it still costs you 245 dollars to get the battery and the tool.

RSP

Got my 3-series back from a service, was about ready to trade it for a 1-series cabrio, but it drives so damn nice ...

1st world problems I guess ...

coldfoot

Banned
So it still costs you 245 dollars to get the battery and the tool.
1. You do not have to get the tool or program the battery, everything will still work just fine except battery life will be degraded.
2. Which is mitigated by the 3 year battery replacement warranty.
3. The tool cost is a one time cost, and does not apply to all battery changes.

N-Bomb

1. You do not have to get the tool or program the battery, everything will still work just fine except battery life will be degraded.

Degraded how? Do these cars charge differently somehow? Do they deep-cycle the battery for some reason?

coldfoot

Banned
Degraded how? Do these cars charge differently somehow? Do they deep-cycle the battery for some reason?
It applies more charge as the battery gets older, if you put a brand new battery but the car still thinks it's the old battery, it will overcharge your new battery, shortening it's life, not to mention putting a bit more load onto your alternator and therefore reducing fuel economy.

No 7 series flat out wont work. The car wont start.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It applies more charge as the battery gets older, if you put a brand new battery but the car still thinks it's the old battery, it will overcharge your new battery, shortening it's life, not to mention putting a bit more load onto your alternator and therefore reducing fuel economy.

Your battery warning light will always come on, as well. Some cars won't even start if they detect the fault - you HAVE to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing on a BMW.

Trust me, it's pointless to try and change the battery on a BMW yourself. You have to do it the right way.

Color? Pics!! I love the orchid white of the new Accords

hey! i finally recalled this post. meant to reply earlier! sorry. anyway, here it is:
JgWItFzl.jpg

dad had a 2000 accord coupe, and it was surprisingly roomy in the back. Shame a tire blew and the damn thing flipped over and nearly killed my mom and brother. Was a good car :(

do coupe versions of sedans usually offer that much difference in performance/handling vs the full sedan counterpart of same trim? Or is it usually for the looks?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Damn new ones making my 08 Accord coupe look like ancient. :(

Your coupe looks better;-)

Anyways...

I always thought direct fit OEM replacement meant a part that fits to OEM specs.

Bought a set of steelies for my Civic. The hubcaps won't fit flush with the wheel and the brake caliper is a credit car width from inside the wheel at 60% pad life left.

Would that be a safety issue? I think so right?

AlphaSnake

Could you clarify, please?

Torque steer.

He's right too. My mom's Volvo S60 T5 was torque as fuck and pulled when floored up to 50MPH easily.

Since it was totaled by Hurricane Sandy, she got a Volvo S60 T5 AWD and it is a remarkable difference.

AlphaSnake

Fast but not as good sounding as an italian:
2013-maserati-granturismo-mc-stradale-convertible-photo-516570-s-520x318.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7WD8XfWVu8

Ehhh, I disagree and prefer the noise of the Jaaaag. :p

You also picked the wrong Maserati, the 4.7L V8 sounds bland compared to the original 4.2L (which is a derivative of the F430 motor), and has a flat pane crankshaft that gives the engine and exhaust note it's distinctive exotic howl.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
we had a major crash/accident in front of my office today, thought I'd share the mess. No one was seriously injured, fortunately, just the usual airbag burns and a terrified toddler. both cars are totaled, though.

we had a major crash/accident in front of my office today, thought I'd share the mess. No one was seriously injured, fortunately, just the usual airbag burns and a terrified toddler. both cars are totaled, though.
So what is the story behind you getting 2 cars at the same time again?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So what is the story behind you getting 2 cars at the same time again?
three at the same time would have been a bit too much.
Few pages back:

Gotcha. I assumed the Auris was for the wife, not that you had purchased two for yourself. Well, double grats!

I'm a GTI driver myself, a MK5 I'm about to sell. I've absolutely loved it but it's time to move on. Is it too early to ask you how the switch feels? From the abundant low RPM torque of the 2.0T to the higher revving GT-86. I've looked at it (the BRZ/FR-S here in Canada) but I was hoping they'd release a turbo version with a bit more "go". Admittedly I haven't driven one, but I'm underwhelmed by the spec sheet. I'd love to see the real-world opinion of a former GTI driver!

It's a bit early because I just started the break-in period (no revving over 4.000RPM, no hard braking etc.) and slowly am getting accustomed with the GT86.

Back Story of my decision was the following:
The GTI was my company car for private use for the last three years, and most of the kilometers on it were done while on job or for commute.

Since the GTI was a company car, I didn't do any racing or stuff, the Autobahn and the A-/B-Roads were the sole areas of operations.

My field of operations is quite large and covers a lot of curvy mountaineous roads as well as several of Autobahn, most of which is speed limited, though.

In everyday traffic, the GTI felt (don't laugh) overmotorized, even when I was able to floor it, the rush only lasted for a few kilometers because of the density of the traffic over here.

On A and B roads, the GTI felt a tad front-heavy, the ESP and stuff kicked in quite early for my tastes. Never felt insecure or out of control with the GTI, though.

Since most of the Autobahns I use to get to business appointments are speed-limited anyway, the GTI was kind of overkill and left me with quite a dent in the salary.

The main factor for abandoning the GTI was the ETA on the Navigation system: for most of my drives, the difference between flooring it and driving civilized was between 2 and 5 minutes, time which would be lost on inner city traffic lights, construction sites, railroad crossings and the like anyway.

Edit: it was the DSG model, which was great to drive but caused some kind of "detachment" from the car for a lack of a better word. It shifts perfectly, way better than you would do by manual, so after a few hundred miles, I didn't even touch the paddles anymore and let the DSG work its magic. Downside of that: Interaction with the car while swimming with the trafic was about none, made it boring. Step in, start engine, set NAV, travel from point A to B, repeat for the way back. That can be had with a smaller engine as well.

No need for a "fast" car on a job basis for me. So I went with the Auris Hybrid for the work-related mileage and got the GT 86 as the pleasure vehicle.

Could you clarify, please?

Torque steer.

He's right too. My mom's Volvo S60 T5 was torque as fuck and pulled when floored up to 50MPH easily.

Since it was totaled by Hurricane Sandy, she got a Volvo S60 T5 AWD and it is a remarkable difference.

The torque steer is always there but with a firm hand on the wheel isn't too bad (though it's hilarious if I floor it with my hands off the wheel), it's just that power delivery at lower speeds isn't worth a fuck. 40mph in 3rd gear? Best hope you're not turning even slightly or you're just going to roast the inside tire and slow down. 30mph in 2nd? It's a 50/50 that one of the tires is going to spin.

With an LSD it would be tons better, but then you'd get a little more speed and a good bit more understeer. I'm not being entirely fair to FWD since the Volvo isn't really set up for the track (it's like BMW lite in terms of ride firmness, a little softer a little nicer on the highway), but above 200 lb-ft FWD is simply the wrong choice, end of story.

Edit: I also hoon the hell out of the poor thing ever since I did the driver's course at Mid-Ohio, it just can't handle it.

So what does a Jaguar F-Type V8S sound like?

Turn your speakers up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpik6xP_cs

0-124MPH Blast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg63UqoW_Tg

It sounds nice but it makes me think of a Mustang with a different exhaust. The V6's tone sounds different and more exotic for it.

I am vain and I think 2 Doors looks better. (also I prefer the look of this coupe to the previous outgoing model, though apparently not everyone in this thread agrees! :( )

Also, a coupe is the only way to get a V6 w/ a manual transmission.
really? oh yeah don't think sedan has mt but not v6 (why D:). I think i saw one of these today, they sure do look, 'meaty' lol. Like as 'muscle car' a modern japanese car can get :p
But why pick Accord coupe over say, other 2 door more sporty cars?

Was reading too that the newest lexus IS's dropped MT as well... :(

But to be fair, I can't imagine anyone bought that trim lol.

really? oh yeah don't think sedan has mt but not v6 (why D:). I think i saw one of these today, they sure do look, 'meaty' lol. Like as 'muscle car' a modern japanese car can get :p
But why pick Accord coupe over say, other 2 door more sporty cars?

I wanted something FWD with a great record of reliability. I test drove a few RWD cars (mustang, genesis) and I enjoyed them. Specifically the Mustang's hood line was too high and felt awkward driving. The genesis I tested just didnt grab me. I probably should have tried the 2.0t though. I liked the drive I got with this car, and it pulled nicely so here we are.

I wanted something FWD with a great record of reliability. I test drove a few RWD cars (mustang, genesis) and I enjoyed them. Specifically the Mustang's hood line was too high and felt awkward driving. The genesis I tested just didnt grab me. I probably should have tried the 2.0t though. I liked the drive I got with this car, and it pulled nicely so here we are.

should have given a camaro a look too... they handle much better than mustang imo, but actually no, the windows are tiny. urg.

Seems like gaf and the whole internet is in love with the fr-s/brz, but it's also too early to see whats their reliability like.

What options were in that Accord? 30k is a steal, then I'm assuming its somewhat loaded?

should have given a camaro a look too... they handle much better than mustang imo, but actually no, the windows are tiny. urg.

Seems like gaf and the whole internet is in love with the fr-s/brz, but it's also too early to see whats their reliability like.

What options were in that Accord? 30k is a steal, then I'm assuming its somewhat loaded?

Alot of people are having fuel problems with the first years.

I don't know that 30K is such a good price, but it was the EX-L version w/o Navigation. so yes, it has nice options for sure. the leather is actually nice in this honda (I usually dislike Honda leather seats) touchscreen blah blah blah and heated this and that, dual zone so on and so forth.)

I did like the FR-S/ BRZ from the looks of it. Didn't drive it, I had heard some CEL issues or something, but maybe they got it worked out?

Archer

Anyone in here with XP in a CT200h? We're considering this or an S60 T5 awd for a daily commuter for her. Pros for the CT200h are mpg, reliability, interior comfort and the hatch. Pros for the S60 T5 awd are safety features, awd and interior comfort.

Both cars are roughly the same price out the door. Long term, I'm guessing the Lexus will be more reliable than the Volvo, but worse case scenario, the Volvos can survive things the Lexus wouldn't, and that's worth the consideration.

Archer

isn't buying hybrid from lexus generally not worth it? Like it would take like a decade to pay off the hybrid premium difference.

Not sure, to be honest. We're not going to go diesel. We both like the mpg for the hybrids, and that they produce low CO2.

While her current car, an '06 Mazda 3, is reliable, it's a tin can and nearly took her life when a Prius taxi (of all the f'in cars) T-boned her. He was at fault, so he paid to fix it. I was shocked at how the 3 caved in. She's now a doctor, wants to ditch the 3 for several reasons, and here we are looking at better options.

Cheers

Stasis

I have to admit that the new Accord coupe is a nice looking ride. The only Honda I find even remotely interesting. I just dislike the hell out of that brand, reliability aside.

nayrac

Anyone in here with XP in a CT200h? We're considering this or an S60 T5 awd for a daily commuter for her. Pros for the CT200h are mpg, reliability, interior comfort and the hatch. Pros for the S60 T5 awd are safety features, awd and interior comfort.

Both cars are roughly the same price out the door. Long term, I'm guessing the Lexus will be more reliable than the Volvo, but worse case scenario, the Volvos can survive things the Lexus wouldn't, and that's worth the consideration.

My boss has a ct200h. He loves it for the most part. Says there's a lag between when he hits the throttle and the car actually moving. It's a bit small in the back seat. That's about it. Interestingly he traded in his Volvo <something> wagon w/ t5 for it. Thing had 170k miles and never missed a beat.

coldfoot

Banned

I'd definitely go for the Volvo. That much money on a car should give you a better driving experience than a Prius, and AWD stands for Awesome Wheel Drive.

AlphaSnake

I have with both. Friend had an CT200h. Mom has the Volvo.

Go with the Volvo. The Lexus is alarmingly slow and almost dangerous in some instances. It's too expensive, considering it's just a re-shelled Prius, it has NO rear leg room, and the hatch has no cargo space. It also rides extremely rough (the F-Sports are even worse). The fuel tank is too small. The MPG for a hybrid isn't that great.

The two cars you're comparing are waaaay too different though. The Volvo delivers great room. Fantastic performance. 30MPG. The most incredibly comfortable, yet supportive seats. Superb ride comfort.

Whatever you get, don't buy the CT200h - it's a royal piece of shit. If you absolutely insist on a Toyota brand, save the money and get a loaded Prius instead. Or get the Lexus HS250h - it has a much better powertrain, more room, more cargo, better ride, etc.

ruxtpin

Banned
Speaking of Lexus... I wasn't too fond of the body changes that just came out. But after seeing a few in person (some guy downstairs in my apt complex is a Lexus salesman) and seeing more pics... The new Lexus bodywork is starting to grow on me. I actually like the front-end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom