• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any rumblings from honda for new rwd sportster, now that 86 is super hot and mazda striking back with new miata and maybe next gen rx?
Honda keeos dropping the ball and releasing stuff like the crz. With the new accord being good and the nsx being close to release, we'll see if that reinvigorates the brand.

Archer

I have with both. Friend had an CT200h. Mom has the Volvo.

Go with the Volvo. The Lexus is alarmingly slow and almost dangerous in some instances. It's too expensive, considering it's just a re-shelled Prius, it has NO rear leg room, and the hatch has no cargo space. It also rides extremely rough (the F-Sports are even worse). The fuel tank is too small. The MPG for a hybrid isn't that great.

The two cars you're comparing are waaaay too different though. The Volvo delivers great room. Fantastic performance. 30MPG. The most incredibly comfortable, yet supportive seats. Superb ride comfort.

Whatever you get, don't buy the CT200h - it's a royal piece of shit. If you absolutely insist on a Toyota brand, save the money and get a loaded Prius instead. Or get the Lexus HS250h - it has a much better powertrain, more room, more cargo, better ride, etc.

She and I both prefer the S60 T5 awd over the CT200h, though she and I both like hatchbacks. Too bad Auds's new A3 won't be a hatch again. Here's my old A3 3.2 S-line:

A3_3_2_Q.jpg

I believe we'll get the S60, and add nav, xenons and BLIS. Maybe I can convince her to go R-Design. Here's the ideal choice:

WP_000486.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone in here with XP in a CT200h? We're considering this or an S60 T5 awd for a daily commuter for her. Pros for the CT200h are mpg, reliability, interior comfort and the hatch. Pros for the S60 T5 awd are safety features, awd and interior comfort.

Both cars are roughly the same price out the door. Long term, I'm guessing the Lexus will be more reliable than the Volvo, but worse case scenario, the Volvos can survive things the Lexus wouldn't, and that's worth the consideration.

My boss drives a Lexus 200h and she loves it. Comfy and luxe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
She and I both prefer the S60 T5 awd over the CT200h, though she and I both like hatchbacks. Too bad Auds's new A3 won't be a hatch again. Here's my old A3 3.2 S-line:

I believe we'll get the S60, and add nav, xenons and BLIS. Maybe I can convince her to go R-Design. Here's the ideal choice:

WP_000486.jpg

You won't regret it. The xenons are terrific on this car, they turn as you turn, which is awesome when you're driving in really dark places. The R-Design is bad ass, but very powerful and fuel efficiency takes a hit - it is only offered with 335HP/360TQ. You can get some sport accents, but I'm not sure if they're called R-Design, though.

Either way, less talking, and go get the Volvo. You won't regret it - it's been earning all of its rightful praise, the FWD version came second behind the new BMW 328i. They also made some very good tweaks to the power output of the 2013+ models, such as increasing compression making the car even more peppy and powerful, without hurting MPG.

My mom had a 2012 FWD T5, and now has a 2013 AWD T5 - the new one is noticeably faster. Also, sport mode boosts torque to 295lbs for 10 seconds. :)

AlphaSnake

So I was supposed to test drive a Jaguar F-Type for an hour tomorrow...

That is until this royal bitchfaced whore named Mother Nature thought it'd be cool to lower the temps and start the pouring rain. 50 degrees tomorrow! Freezing rain! FUCK! It's the motherfucking summer time!

Fuck you, NY. I dread every moment I'm here. I'm counting the days until my Jag is back from the body shop. >=(

So I was supposed to test drive a Jaguar F-Type for an hour tomorrow...

That is until this royal bitchfaced whore named Mother Nature thought it'd be cool to lower the temps and start the pouring rain. 50 degrees tomorrow! Freezing rain! FUCK! It's the motherfucking summer time!

Fuck you, NY. I dread every moment I'm here. I'm counting the days until my Jag is back from the body shop. >=(

Surely that car has a soft top and heated seats? :p

shame you can't get a loaded up fr-s/86 in the states. I'm just not a big fan of the front of brz and those dealers are quite snobbery and love jacking up the price :/

Here's a question about maintenance plans:

I've got four scheduled maintenances under my plan at 15k, 25k, 35k, and 45k miles. The agreement reads that they should be done at those intervals OR one year from the last service, whichever occurs first.

But right after that sentence it says:

Maintenances must be performed within 1,000 miles before/after of the manufacturer's scheduled maintenances interval.

And then goes on to say:

Any scheduled maintenances not completed within ive years are excluded.

So here's my dilemma: It has been one year since my last scheduled maintenance, which was supposed to be the 25k mile one, but I only had 19k miles on the car at the time. So I'm technically due for my 35k mile maintenance now, but my odometer is sitting at 26,xxx

So should I bother taking the car in now? The agreement seems to indicate that they want it done ever year, but that it should also be done within +/- 1000 miles of the set intervals, which is obviously contradictory. The car is only 2.5 years old, so I have plenty of time to get the other two maintences done as far as the five year period is concerned, but will they give me shit if I don't do it yearly due to lack of mileage?

AlphaSnake

Keep the cat off the car! Their claws will shred your paint to shit, and their urine is highly acidic if they get any on the clear coat.

AlphaSnake

Is bird shit as dangerous as people say?

I had three-four bombs on my car last friday. Washed them off today.

Ugh.

Yep. Bird shit will burn right through the clear on a sunny day and leave a ring trace where it landed if you leave it for more than 24 hours.

I get rid of that shit immediately with a quick detailing spray and a microfiber.

Forsete

Yep. Bird shit will burn right through the clear on a sunny day and leave a ring trace where it landed if you leave it for more than 24 hours.

I get rid of that shit immediately with a quick detailing spray and a microfiber.

Detailing spray? Link me up!

Also, thanks. :p

N-Bomb

They must paint em weakly on the east coast. Never had a problem with bird shit leaving marks. I find that the sun and rain are actually worse for the car.

Sap and pollen are another thing, though.

AlphaSnake

Detailing spray? Link me up!

Also, thanks. :p

Any detailing spray to break up the shit will work. Go with Meguiars or Mothers Detailer spray - either or will be just fine for you. Autozone stacks them all the time, so you can walk in and pick up. Or grab it off Amazon

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keep the cat off the car! Their claws will shred your paint to shit, and their urine is highly acidic if they get any on the clear coat.
there are like five free running cats in our direct neigborhood, impossible to keep them away anyway. so why bother? especially as the cat pictured is our own ;)

Edit:
they sit on the bonnet to pick up the heat from the engine bay, never had occurrence of one of them pissing on a car.

Car buying is an interesting experience.

Been at the same dealership the last few days to talk about getting either a Mazda6 for my dad or a Mazdaspeed3 for my bro. They never got really far with my dad as he's worked in the banking industry for god knows how long so when they talked numbers to him, all he kept asking was "what's your interest rate?" and the dealership would never respond saying something along the lines that the finance manager can find that out or that they can match or even lower what my dad currently has. That actually was the major factor with my dad and made him walk out of there without buying a car lol.

My bro on the other hand, he was already filling out the financial paperwork after some long ass negotiating where the salesperson came back with a paper saying "I will buy the car now at $565 per month at 72 months..." Now most of y'all know this was a mistake as negotiating by the monthly payment is never a good thing, and that "other fees" might show up when talking to the finance manager. But my dad calls my bro and basically screws the pooch lol. Tells him to stop everything and walk out there coz the numbers don't seem right, so we did and are now supposed to be back on Monday with my dad to continue the negotiations if you will.

Now the MS3 was valued at $32k with gap insurance, taxes and other fees. But playing around with that Edmunds.com monthly loan payment calculator thing and my dad is probably right. At $32k, $0 down, to get up to $565 per month in 72 months, the interest rate would have to be at least 8.5% but I'm not entirely sure if their math is right though.

The plan right now is to get a pre-approved loan from our bank so we can get an interest rate before heading back this Monday, that way we can get a better picture and use that as leverage if the dealership still isn't willing to reveal their interest rate when we go back and use our bank if they won't match or go lower than what our bank offers.

Anyway, it's an interesting experience. It's amazing to see how minutes before you're just sitting in the car going along the test drive, next you know you're actually about to buy a car. Also, having somebody who's knows finance really well is crucial to the car buying experience. I'm kinda glad I went along with this, as I now have an idea of what to do before buying a car.

TylerD

there are like five free running cats in our direct neigborhood, impossible to keep them away anyway. so why bother? especially as the cat pictured is our own ;)

Edit:
they sit on the bonnet to pick up the heat from the engine bay, never had occurrence of one of them pissing on a car.

Need to fashion up some kind of battery with electrical discharge to keep those bastards away!

I had the same problem when I was living with my parents. Cats give no shits about your paint or finish. Warm hood = cat haven.

I don't take kindly to bird crap or other contaminates on my car. BMW paint is shitty enough as is. Quick spritz of Zaino Z-6 detail spray and it is clean. Be gone!

Take the car in for service. The 1000+/- part is there so you don't take it in too early or too late.

Thanks for the response. Figured I may as well. Friend of a friend who used to be a salesman told me they void warranties if something goes wrong in the time you didn't take it in, so that's good enough of a reason to take it in I suppose.

Completely unrelated, It amazes me that Pininfarina manages to create masterpieces for BMW while churning out vomit for Ferrari.

ascii42

Been at the same dealership the last few days to talk about getting either a Mazda6 for my dad or a Mazdaspeed3 for my bro. They never got really far with my dad as he's worked in the banking industry for god knows how long so when they talked numbers to him, all he kept asking was "what's your interest rate?" and the dealership would never respond saying something along the lines that the finance manager can find that out or that they can match or even lower what my dad currently has. That actually was the major factor with my dad and made him walk out of there without buying a car lol.

My bro on the other hand, he was already filling out the financial paperwork after some long ass negotiating where the salesperson came back with a paper saying "I will buy the car now at $565 per month at 72 months..." Now most of y'all know this was a mistake as negotiating by the monthly payment is never a good thing, and that "other fees" might show up when talking to the finance manager. But my dad calls my bro and basically screws the pooch lol. Tells him to stop everything and walk out there coz the numbers don't seem right, so we did and are now supposed to be back on Monday with my dad to continue the negotiations if you will.

Now the MS3 was valued at $32k with gap insurance, taxes and other fees. But playing around with that Edmunds.com monthly loan payment calculator thing and my dad is probably right. At $32k, $0 down, to get up to $565 per month in 72 months, the interest rate would have to be at least 8.5% but I'm not entirely sure if their math is right though.

The plan right now is to get a pre-approved loan from our bank so we can get an interest rate before heading back this Monday, that way we can get a better picture and use that as leverage if the dealership still isn't willing to reveal their interest rate when we go back and use our bank if they won't match or go lower than what our bank offers.

Anyway, it's an interesting experience. It's amazing to see how minutes before you're just sitting in the car going along the test drive, next you know you're actually about to buy a car. Also, having somebody who's knows finance really well is crucial to the car buying experience. I'm kinda glad I went along with this, as I now have an idea of what to do before buying a car.

Yeah, it's all that nonsense that makes me want to buy my next car outright.

That BMW is hideous.

I was expecting disagreement as I was typing that.

Good ol' stealerships. I accompanied my mom when she was buying a new car a month or so ago and they tried pulling the same shit on her. The salesman would leave every time she asked numbers related shit (she's also in finance) and he'd be gone for 15 minutes and spit out some bullshit. Needless to say they didn't earn her business.

N-Bomb

Yes, I've been daydreaming about colours again.

I might be settling on some kind of metallicy red. Was looking at a bunch, Audi's Misano Red is nice, and Mazda's Velocity Red, but I really want to avoid pearl. GM's Sizzle Red seems nice from colour chips, but from pics on-car seems a bit flat. Mitsu's Rave Red seems nice, but a bit too dark - I want brighter.

Anyone seen any metallic reds that they really liked? I'd be looking for more of a red chrome-ish look or something with coarser flakes than you usually see so that it has more depth to it. I guess in the end I don't want a red that looks like plastic.

Thanks for the response. Figured I may as well. Friend of a friend who used to be a salesman told me they void warranties if something goes wrong in the time you didn't take it in, so that's good enough of a reason to take it in I suppose.

Completely unrelated, It amazes me that Pininfarina manages to create masterpieces for BMW while churning out vomit for Ferrari.

Incredibile, although I don't like the wooden interior. But Pininfarina definitely managed to inject some emotions into a BMW.

Yes, I've been daydreaming about colours again.

I might be settling on some kind of metallicy red. Was looking at a bunch, Audi's Misano Red is nice, and Mazda's Velocity Red, but I really want to avoid pearl. GM's Sizzle Red seems nice from colour chips, but from pics on-car seems a bit flat. Mitsu's Rave Red seems nice, but a bit too dark - I want brighter.

Anyone seen any metallic reds that they really liked? I'd be looking for more of a red chrome-ish look or something with coarser flakes than you usually see so that it has more depth to it. I guess in the end I don't want a red that looks like plastic.

Mars Red?
2013-E-Class-Coupe-Gallery-001_GOE.jpg

Tetra-9

Hello car-gaf, I would like to seek some advice as I will be buying a new car sometime soon. I am interested in the Toyota Celica. I currently have a 2000 Camry and it has weathered much abuse greatly. I was given the car when I was 16 and did terrible things like revving it to warm it up. Still the car has been driven 325,000 miles, but has many things to fix and I think it would be better to just get a new car for peace of mind. Anyways, I was also wondering about comparable cars in the 15-20k range, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hello car-gaf, I would like to seek some advice as I will be buying a new car sometime soon. I am interested in the Toyota Celica. I currently have a 2000 Camry and it has weathered much abuse greatly. I was given the car when I was 16 and did terrible things like revving it to warm it up. Still the car has been driven 325,000 miles, but has many things to fix and I think it would be better to just get a new car for peace of mind. Anyways, I was also wondering about comparable cars in the 15-20k range, any input would be greatly appreciated.

What are you looking for out of the car? Econobox daily driver to get you from A -> B? Because you can do a whole lot better than a Celica at 15-20k.

List off some requirements and we'll be able to make better recommendations.

If he's looking at celica, I'm guessing he wants something sexy.

20k is a bit low, but you can find tons of new sexy cars at 25k with decent mpg.

I guess used would work too. Used 350z? Used s2000 if you don't mind convertibles?

Tetra-9

It's most important that I get decent gas mileage. As also pointed out by another poster I want something sexy. For newer cars the Mazda3 looked okay good to me. By looking at Toyotas online I found out that you can get 0% interest on new Camry and Prius models, this might be pretty hard to pass up. Would I be foolish to rule out used in the same class?

Forsete

Any detailing spray to break up the shit will work. Go with Meguiars or Mothers Detailer spray - either or will be just fine for you. Autozone stacks them all the time, so you can walk in and pick up. Or grab it off Amazon

Thanks. I ordered some spray from my go-to place for car stuff.

It's most important that I get decent gas mileage. As also pointed out by another poster I want something sexy. For newer cars the Mazda3 looked okay good to me. By looking at Toyotas online I found out that you can get 0% interest on new Camry and Prius models, this might be pretty hard to pass up. Would I be foolish to rule out used in the same class?

With it not hard getting interest rates as low as 2-3% these days for pretty much all cars... if you REAAAALLLY care about mileage, prius is where it's at, but sexy... nope.

Tons of ~25k sporty cars that can get you 25-30mpg.

fr-s/brz, focus st, speed3 (I think?), miata, mini cooper, fiat,

coldfoot

Banned
Best RWD for that price = BRZ/FRS
Best FWD for that price range = Fiesta ST.

Along with what Chick recommended:

I don't know if they're "sexy" in your book, but a GTI sounds like it would fit your bill. An E90 3 Series also has fairly decent MPG and is definitely going to be fun to drive.

If you want to head further into MPG country, a more recent Elantra might do the trick. It certainly has curves, but whether those are ugly curves or not is subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom