• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably wait for brz/frs 2014 too if you are interested. scoobie + toyota should mean it should last a while atm, but hey, first year kinks.

Along with what Chick recommended:

I don't know if they're "sexy" in your book, but a GTI sounds like it would fit your bill. An E90 3 Series also has fairly decent MPG and is definitely going to be fun to drive.

If you want to head further into MPG country, a more recent Elantra might do the trick. It certainly has curves, but whether those are ugly curves or not is subjective.

I don't think someone looking at used celicas and camrys are gonna be happy with bmw maintenance cost :p

Speaking of elantra, genesis coupe is pretty damn popular these days too.

v6 mustang also gives decent mileage.

Tetra-9

Thanks for all the feedback. I really dig the FRS, it's cool and does get good gas mileage, have Scions been as dependable as mainline toyotas in general? The BRZ also seemed cool but I think its just a bit more expensive than the FRS. I also like the newer Elantras alright... looks like I've got some test driving to do.

N-Bomb

Mars Red?
2013-E-Class-Coupe-Gallery-001_GOE.jpg

Thanks man. But no. Looks nice sometimes, but the depth I want just isn't there. I might have to end up going something custom from PPG or HoK.

ascii42

Thanks for all the feedback. I really dig the FRS, it's cool and does get good gas mileage, have Scions been as dependable as mainline toyotas in general? The BRZ also seemed cool but I think its just a bit more expensive than the FRS. I also like the newer Elantras alright... looks like I've got some test driving to do.

BRZ is slightly more expensive but it comes with more stuff standard. Best to compare each and consider what sort of stuff you want.

Yeah, it's all that nonsense that makes me want to buy my next car outright.

Yup. Too bad it's not going to be possible at all for us lol.

Good ol' stealerships. I accompanied my mom when she was buying a new car a month or so ago and they tried pulling the same shit on her. The salesman would leave every time she asked numbers related shit (she's also in finance) and he'd be gone for 15 minutes and spit out some bullshit. Needless to say they didn't earn her business.

Normally, we wouldn't come back to that dealership, but they're the only dealership here in North Texas that has a new Mazdaspeed3 for sale. There are other dealerships, but they're part of the same company so it's useless to drive 20+ miles away from our house to find a similar MS3 at the same price, so we don't have any choice really.

I guess we'll see what's gonna happen tomorrow. Mazdaspeed3 or bust! Haha.

Scions are literally toyotas.

But fr-s brz are pretty much mostly Subaru parts. And this engine isn't something they do much. I'm pretty sure Toyota would make sure it's alright quality, but there is always a gamble buying a new car into the market.

At the very least it seems popular enough that finding folks to fix it up after warranty expires shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think someone looking at used celicas and camrys are gonna be happy with bmw maintenance cost :p

Yeah lol, I thought about that after I posted, but I figured those three would provide a nice spectrum of sensibility.

P.S. Honda S2k, why aren't you just a coupe instead of a convertible? *eternal sadness*

Thanks man. But no. Looks nice sometimes, but the depth I want just isn't there. I might have to end up going something custom from PPG or HoK.

I wish I had taken a pic of a red C63 I saw around here. It looked different than that one so it might have been a custom paint job. I think I know what you mean by more metallic, but I couldn't find a better picture for the life of me. Good luck with that though!

Yup. Too bad it's not going to be possible at all for us lol.

Yeah I totally get that situation. She had the luxury of having a stupid amount of dealerships to choose from in town. I just think it's such bullshit that in an age where customer service distinguishes you from the lot, that dealerships still treat their customers like such shit so often.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
no pic today, but I had the tail break out two times yesterday (was fun) and (unintentionally) hit the limiter today for the first time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thanks for the response. Figured I may as well. Friend of a friend who used to be a salesman told me they void warranties if something goes wrong in the time you didn't take it in, so that's good enough of a reason to take it in I suppose.

Completely unrelated, It amazes me that Pininfarina manages to create masterpieces for BMW while churning out vomit for Ferrari.

Haudi, pardner.

Rad Agast

Scions are literally toyotas.

fr-s brz are pretty much mostly Subaru parts. And this engine isn't something they do much. I'm pretty sure Toyota would make sure it's alright quality, but there is always a gamble buying a new car into the market.

At the very least it seems popular enough that finding folks to fix it up after warranty expires shouldn't be a problem.

FT86 (GT86/FR-S/BRZ) Is an amalgam of both companies tech. Engine is brand new Subaru boxer (with reports of it being more powerful than their previous 2.5L) While the injection system and, gear and electronics by Toyota.

Chassis by Subaru as far as I know but the suspension settings are slightly different between the Two companies offers (GT86 tends to lose grip much easier on corners while the BRZ is more planted).

FT86 (GT86/FR-S/BRZ) Is an amalgam of both companies tech. Engine is brand new Subaru boxer (with reports of it being more powerful than their previous 2.5L) While the injection system and, gear and electronics by Toyota.

Chassis by Subaru as far as I know but the suspension settings are slightly different between the Two companies offers (GT86 tends to lose grip much easier on corners while the BRZ is more planted).
So yeah. It's mostly a Subaru.

Rad Agast

Pretty much all the interior is Toyota. Manufacturing and assembly at the Subaru plant. I wouldn't say it's mostly one or the other. For what it's worth I went with the Subaru for the better look and exclusive colour (the dealership being friendlier was a plus too).

Pretty much all the interior is Toyota. Manufacturing and assembly at the Subaru plant. I wouldn't say it's mostly one or the other. For what it's worth I went with the Subaru for the better look and exclusive colour (the dealership being friendlier was a plus too).
True. A lot of corolla looking parts :(

Yeah I totally get that situation. She had the luxury of having a stupid amount of dealerships to choose from in town. I just think it's such bullshit that in an age where customer service distinguishes you from the lot, that dealerships still treat their customers like such shit so often.

Funny you mention this. I bought my Miata from a luxury dealership that sold Caddy's and Infiniti's and they were very accommodating if you will. There was no pressure at all from them, they let us test drive it to our hearts content, and it was overall a very relaxing experience. This dealership on the other hand, as soon as the test drive ended, it was all about walking out of the dealership with keys in hand.

It's amazing to me that the relatively normal dealerships treat you like shit meanwhile the luxury dealerships are fantastic to deal with. I guess customer service is thrown out of the door when your brand is for the 99%. -___-

Anyway, no MS3 today. Plans changed, stuff happened, Saturday might be the day lol.

Considering that the main guy behind the car used to work on corollas, I'm not surprised.

at least it all seems logical and understandable. Can't say that for a ton of modern cars :/

speaking of a/c. Not too familiar with them, but it takes like a good few min before i start feeling cool air out of mine at full blast, is there something wrong?

Summer is creeping in and I don't have the benefit of parking indoors at work :(

N-Bomb

at least it all seems logical and understandable. Can't say that for a ton of modern cars :/

speaking of a/c. Not too familiar with them, but it takes like a good few min before i start feeling cool air out of mine at full blast, is there something wrong?

Summer is creeping in and I don't have the benefit of parking indoors at work :(

Nope. If something's wrong, it just won't ever get to cold. That being said, if it's been a long time, getting your A/C system flushed and refilled can't hurt. It DOES lose the gas over time.

coldfoot

Banned
C&D sports sedan comparison test is out, and the rankings are very surprising.
1. IS350 2. BMW 335i 3. ATS
Looks like Cadillac made an European sport sedan with the best chassis, BMW made an American sports sedan with power and interior space, and Toyota kept everything the same but added really nice front seats to their existing car to appease the aging C&D writers and won because BMW screwed up the steering and suspension from the e90.

ascii42

C&D sports sedan comparison test is out, and the rankings are very surprising.
1. IS350 2. BMW 335i 3. CTSLooks like Cadillac made an European sport sedan with the best chassis, BMW made an American sports sedan with power and interior space, and Toyota kept everything the same but added really nice front seats to their existing car to appease the aging C&D writers and won because BMW screwed up the steering and suspension from the e90.

Don't you mean ATS? That would make more sense.

So I got a ticket from Arlington Automated Red Light Enforcement, of Arlington, Texas.

It's a civil penalty that doesn't go on any record and, by law, can't be reported to credit bureaus. The only real penalty is that I won't be able to re-register my vehicle in Texas (if the registrar feels like enforcing it, which they generally don't).

My car is registered in Ohio.

Aaaaaaaand trash-can.

Apparently a collection agency may send me some letters but I'll just tell them to sue me for the $75. And if you're curious: no, I did not come to a complete stop while making a right on red. This is me scoffing the law, I guess.

So I got a ticket from Arlington Automated Red Light Enforcement, of Arlington, Texas.

It's a civil penalty that doesn't go on any record and, by law, can't be reported to credit bureaus. The only real penalty is that I won't be able to re-register my vehicle in Texas (if the registrar feels like enforcing it, which they generally don't).

Aaaaaaaand trash-can.

Apparently a collection agency may send me some letters but I'll just tell them to sue me for the $75. And if you're curious: no, I did not come to a complete stop while making a right on red. This is me scoffing the law, I guess.

get off my lawn you street racing ricer!

The Camry V6 does not belong in the Camry. So overpowered! It would be better suited for a next gen Supra, but that's never going to happen

who knows, toyota seems interested!

Camry's are actually surprisingly formidable at drag racing against people that suck at shifting, not like i'd know.

How does this work exactly? I've never heard of something like this.

Also, which light, if you don't mind me asking?

I live close to UTA, and I've had so many close calls at that intersection on Cooper and Park Row. Thankfully, I haven't ran it yet, but I do know a couple of people who have ran that same light at least twice. -___-

How does this work exactly? I've never heard of something like this.

Also, which light, if you don't mind me asking?

I live close to UTA, and I've had so many close calls at that intersection on Cooper and Park Row. Thankfully, I haven't ran it yet, but I do know a couple of people who have ran that same light at least twice. -___-

The camera hits you if you enter the intersection more than .3 seconds (or something) after it changes to red. It's automated to a degree that it can tell if you stopped, then made a right turn. After that the red light contractor reviews the footage (it takes video that you can see, but it won't play on my computer for some reason), sends it to the City of Arlington and they send out the notice.

It says right on the notice of violation that "The civil penalty will not be recorded on the owner's driving record, and an arrest warrant will not be issued." The wording of the law also forbids it from going on your credit reports, and if you don't pay they can only send it to collections. Collections can only badger you into sending them a check, they have no means to get it.

After sending it to collections they'll also mark you a scofflaw (which rules), but the only effect of that is that you can't register your car in the county the violation was issued. So if you're a non-resident it means jack shit, and if you are a resident, chances are your local registrar doesn't want to take the time to deal with it either and will just remind you to pay while giving you your registration.

I imagine if you get a shit ton of them, though, that collections might actually take the time to at least threaten to sue.

Edit: It takes super-high res photos, too, kinda neat.

Quote for fucking enormous!

Original size is 6576x4816!

N-Bomb

Aaaaaaaand trash-can.

I approve.

Edit: A Volvo is you?

After sending it to collections they'll also mark you a scofflaw (which rules), but the only effect of that is that you can't register your car in the county the violation was issued. So if you're a non-resident it means jack shit, and if you are a resident, chances are your local registrar doesn't want to take the time to deal with it either and will just remind you to pay while giving you your registration.

That's the first time I've heard about the registration thing. I guess you're right about the registrar not caring that you're registering the car in the same county, otherwise somebody I know would've thrown a huge fit about it.

At least you got caught by red light camera. If you got stopped by Arlington PD, it would be a totally different story. If there is one PD I hate in the DFW area, Arlington PD has my vote. They're not scumbags, but good lord they are notorious for enforcing their policies. That street, Fielder, for example is filled up with cops at 8 in the morning with radar guns looking for college kids who are going 6+ above the speed limit going to school.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm confused. Why did the camera go off on a right turn at a red light? Is it because you didn't come to a full stop?

I approve.

Edit: A Volvo is you?

Yep, that's me in the Volvo. I wish I could see the video because, if I know me, I was probably hammering it around that corner.

That's the first time I've heard about the registration thing. I guess you're right about the registrar not caring that you're registering the car in the same county, otherwise somebody I know would've thrown a huge fit about it.

At least you got caught by red light camera. If you got stopped by Arlington PD, it would be a totally different story. If there is one PD I hate in the DFW area, Arlington PD has my vote. They're not scumbags, but good lord they are notorious for enforcing their policies. That street, Fielder, for example is filled up with cops at 8 in the morning with radar guns looking for college kids who are going 6+ above the speed limit going to school.

What's funny is that I almost never see Arlington PD out with radar guns. Since January I'm pretty sure I've only seen it once or twice. I go to work at 6:30 and get out at 3:30 so I guess I'm just out at the right times. My commute is also randol mill -> fielder -> 30 -> 360 -> Abram, so I'm only going a few miles.

I'm confused. Why did the camera go off on a right turn at a red light? Is it because you didn't come to a full stop?

Yep. The light had just gone red and was going to give the oncoming lane (which was already green) the left turn green for that truck in the middle. No sense in stopping, really.

Rad Agast

Some idiot decided to rip my front bumper Subaru badge while I was at work. Didn't notice it till I got back home.

Drove directly to the dealership and thankfully they had one in stock. The weird thing is that I didn't get pissed off when I first saw the damage. I'm guessing it's because I've been having a good week so far.

Regarding the Camry V6, I drive a Mazda 6 V6 and it doesn't feel safe at high speeds.

Some idiot decided to rip my front bumper Subaru badge while I was at work. Didn't notice it till I got back home.

I will never understand dipshits who do that crap. It's so infuriating because there's nothing you can do to them either, unless by some off chance it was caught on a camera or something.

~~~

I dropped off the car this morning and they handed me a loaner A6 3.0. It's fairly loaded inside and comfy as all hell. I always thought the screen placement looked whacky, and it's neat that the thing pops out of the dashboard, but it just looks so out of place and really hampers on the rest of the design of the interior. I took it out on the highway and drove around for a while, and to be honest I really didn't "feel" the 3.0 that much over my car's 2.0, but it was certainly just as smooth and refined which is of course the purpose of a large sedan so no real complaints there.

The car looks pretty damn fantastic on the outside though. Excuse the glare.

robox

Aaaaaaaand trash-can.
lucky you. i got a ticket that can't so easily ignored. made for an especially miserable day. i thought about fighting it, since i had a good story. but nope. have to pay the "bail" before you can actually do anything. i suppose they'll refund whatever i can win back. everything around it is a big hassle, which i bet they purposely do to discourage

What's funny is that I almost never see Arlington PD out with radar guns. Since January I'm pretty sure I've only seen it once or twice. I go to work at 6:30 and get out at 3:30 so I guess I'm just out at the right times. My commute is also randol mill -> fielder -> 30 -> 360 -> Abram, so I'm only going a few miles.

Yeah, you definitely do lol.

Btw, if you see a red 3rd gen Miata with a dark skinned Asian guy in it, you probably ran into me hahaha.

Yeah, you definitely do lol.

Btw, if you see a red 3rd gen Miata with a dark skinned Asian guy in it, you probably ran into me hahaha.

thoughts on 3rd gen miata? It's on my list of potentials to get.

Like how bad is the storage space for a commuter. I mean i have a minivan for costco runs, but is it good enough for some groceries?

And me being just 5 6, roominess shouldn't be a problem for me right?

hows it during raining, and how is visibility with the top up?

thoughts on 3rd gen miata? It's on my list of potentials to get.

Like how bad is the storage space for a commuter. I mean i have a minivan for costco runs, but is it good enough for some groceries?

And me being just 5 6, roominess shouldn't be a problem for me right?

hows it during raining, and how is visibility with the top up?

Some groceries, definitely. Trunk space isn't all that bad unless you have to bring an acoustic guitar with you. That's when things get iffy, but for daily stuff, it's more than perfectly fine if you've got another car for mass shopping. For the record, I did manage to stick two trombones(a peashooter and a bass trombone) in it's full protective cases and it fit pretty well.

Roominess will be an issue depending on whether you have a taller upper body or longer legs. I'm 5'5 with a small beer gut and longer legs so it's not as bad for me. My bro on the other hand, who's around the same height but has a longer torso thinks that it's a little cramped in there. But at your height, it definitely is not a problem.

It's perfectly fine in the rain, of course visibility is definitely gonna be an issue on a car as low as this, but as long as you follow safe driving under crazy rain, you'll be fine. Handling wise, I love it under the rain, especially now that I've got close to balding tires. Give it some power in 2nd gear and the rear will slip, but it's easy to control as well so it's not that bad. Dry traction is also superb on these tires. It's definitely more tossable, but again, it's not going to try to kill you. I imagine, it'll definitely become better once I get new tires lol.

Visibility, top up or down is also great. Adjust your mirrors accordingly and it'll be fine.

I think the only complaint I can give my car is that the ride can get really unbearable on really shitty roads. It has the sport suspension package and while it's handling capabilities are definitely better than the ones with the stock suspension, it's downside is really the rough ride. But on the other hand, the sport suspension is the one to get in a 3rd gen Miata. Basically the sport suspension will also get you the LSD so I guess it's a good tradeoff, especially if you have plans to mod the suspension.

Other than that, the car is fantastic as long as comfort isn't one of your concerns lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom