• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruxtpin

Banned
Chris Harris seems to like the MK7 GTI. The US-spec model will have 210 horsepower and about 250 torques, and we're getting the performance package with 10 extra horsepower, bigger brakes, and a limited-slip differential.

Yeah, I read a bunch of first-drives and it sounds like folks are impressed. My test drive of the 2013 model, I could tell it wasn't as quiet (or smooth) a drive as the BMW 328i - but then again, there's a price difference of about 8-10k USD. But if I decide I want to go the cheaper route, looks like I need to wait for better options.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Anyone here have a VW GTI? Any thoughts on having one as a daily driver? From a comfortability, reliability, and cost of ownership standpoint? Seems that the 2014 is getting a HP boost. I test drove one earlier today. I really liked the seats, but it didn't seem like the quietest ride. If I wanted the 14 model, I'd have to wait a bit tho.

Had a MkVI GTI with DSG for the last three years and drove about 110.000 kilometers with it. Fun and powerful car, decent MPG, very reliable. There's a saying in Germany that "you are always properly dressed" with a GTI.

My personal reasons for not getting a MkVII GTI:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57539198&postcount=15485

cube444

The US-spec model will have 210 horsepower and about 250 torques, and we're getting the performance package with 10 extra horsepower, bigger brakes, and a limited-slip differential.

Any idea on who is making the LSD for it? I hate the fact mine never came with one. It's pretty pricey to get one too.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Any idea on who is making the LSD for it? I hate the fact mine never came with one. It's pretty pricey to get one too.

I think VW developed it internally with their Scirocco R race cars. They claim the race cars equipped with the LSD go eight seconds faster around the Nurburgring that the race cars without it.

Looks almost exactly like a Mini.

It kinda does, but it's $3,000 cheaper than a Mini Countryman, which helps out. And for a limited time, they're including a premier package with the Easy, Trekking and Lounge models, which adds backup assist and navigation.

cube444

I think VW developed it internally with their Scirocco R race cars. They claim the race cars equipped with the LSD go eight seconds faster around the Nurburgring that the race cars without it.

No doubt that the real advantage of an LSD would be on a track course than say over a straight line 1/4 mile run. Pretty cool of them to offer up an LSD option though.

ruxtpin

Banned
The search for a new daily driver was expanded to include small SUVs. Found out that the missus and I might be getting a dog that likes to run. I'm a big runner, so I tried out a Tiguan tonight. I gotta say, that was a nice ride. Enough room in the back for a yellow lab that I can bring on runs with me. Comfortable and quiet enough to be a daily driver, but not so large as some monstrous SUVs out there. Color me impressed.

mkenyon

Banned
Came across this over the weekend, wanted to share this masterpiece of a car with you guys:

FImGiMs.png

nnmWpqq.jpg

Classy.

N-Bomb

What George Costanza would drive if he was a real person and rich:

ay_113259790.jpg

Yes, that's a Ferrari 599 draped in velvet.

Regardless of this one's reality, there is a Porsche somethingorother in the UK doing the velvet thing.

BN9JdwwCEAEQMOQ.jpg:large

Now for my question! What's the wisdom on garaging your car? I have a non-climate-controlled garage. Is it better for my car to put in there when it's raining, or keep it outside, assuming I won't drive it for a 2-3 days?

Regardless of this one's reality, there is a Porsche somethingorother in the UK doing the velvet thing.

BN9JdwwCEAEQMOQ.jpg:large

Now for my question! What's the wisdom on garaging your car? I have a non-climate-controlled garage. Is it better for my car to put in there when it's raining, or keep it outside, assuming I won't drive it for a 2-3 days?

First off, that Panamera rules.

Secondly, definitely keep it in the garage. High humidity isn't all that great for a car but it's better to leave it in the garage than the rain just for the sake of not having to wash off water spots; even if if it's jungle humid in the garage it's going to take a lot longer than 2-3 days for any problems to come of it.

TylerD

I don't have a garage currently ;___;

I don't either but my roommate's house does and he drives a 2001 Mazda Protege that is beat to hell and he lets my baby live in there if I want.

This weekend, I will be doing a test area on my car with M105, M205, various foam cutting pads and my new Porter Cable 7424xp da polisher. Lots of beer and music will be involved. Going to be a good weekend.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
First "small" performance upgrade: I installed the TRD JDM Sports Air Filter last morning. while I was at it, I removed the foam plug from the default Sound changer as well.

The motor feels a bit free breathing, a teensy bit more elastic and a bit more bassy. Very subtle changes though, no game changer.

Next stop: Steering Wheel and front strut tower bar.

N-Bomb

Ahh, one car garage, I have to fold in the passenger side mirror to get it in with room to open the driver's door :\

First "small" performance upgrade: I installed the TRD JDM Sports Air Filter last morning. while I was at it, I removed the foam plug from the default Sound changer as well.

The motor feels a bit free breathing, a teensy bit more elastic and a bit more bassy. Very subtle changes though, no game changer.

What's the difference other than the colour? Seems the material is the same, same number of pleats... what? One thing I learned during my Celica ownership is that TRD doesn't necessarily mean TRD/better/etc.

Auto-GAF: Best way to clean the interior of car windows/windshield? Or rather, with what product? I've tried several and I'm still getting some streaks here and there.

The sound changer? That little resonator tube dealy to get sound in the cabin? Has anyone done testing with that? Often those are designed for air flow resonance (I don't know the details) so that at certain rpm ranges you'll have improved airflow through the intake.

What are you going to do with the steering wheel?

I don't want to be a debbie downer since I know you're having fun getting these little things, but you can probably do something a little more positive with the car with your money.

Auto-GAF: Best way to clean the interior of car windows/windshield? Or rather, with what product? I've tried several and I'm still getting some streaks here and there.

Any of the little glass wipes are usually pretty decent, but the sprays will work best with a microfiber. Just make sure not to use the stuff on tinted windows.

N-Bomb

Yeah, what Dave said. I'll usually just use Windex or the indoor Rain-X, but remember that most tints don't like solvents!

Piggyback question: I used a tire shine that browned my tires last year. Is there any way to restore the black? Is there any tire shine that DOESN'T brown?

(don't say Eagle One or Stoner)

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

I swear by Stoners Invisible Glass. It doesn't leave any residue like shit products like Windex when you are using heat/cooling. Your windows look fucking spotless afterwards. No streaks period.

It's the best window cleaner I've ever used.

Yeah, what Dave said. I'll usually just use Windex or the indoor Rain-X, but remember that most tints don't like solvents!

Piggyback question: I used a tire shine that browned my tires last year. Is there any way to restore the black? Is there any tire shine that DOESN'T brown?

I just use cheap Crappy Tire tire cleaner. Armoral extreme shine makes them brown too btw and it sprays onto fenders. Try Mothers.

TylerD

I recently bought some Armoral tire gel and I have been pleased with the durability and the shine and there have been no slinging issues. The applicator sponge it comes with is pretty much perfect for the side profile of my tires. Just squeeze the gel into the channel that runs the length of the app sponge and go to town.

Also had good experience with Aerospace 303 Protectant on the tires. That stuff is very versatile. Tires, interior plastics and panels, black trim, rubber seals, engine detailing... great stuff.

I swear by Stoners Invisible Glass. It doesn't leave any residue like shit products like Windex when you are using heat/cooling. Your windows look fucking spotless afterwards. No streaks period.

It's the best window cleaner I've ever used.

Invisible glass is awesome. The maids left a bottle last time they were at the house and I have been using it. That stuff + microfibre towels after using my speedy prep nanoskin towel and you don't need rain-x.

First trackday. Temps were between 100-113f. In short: FUCKING HOT!

Car was fantastic though. Gave a bunch of people ride alongs. Basically only did one session alone. Need to dial out some understeer but that's about it and switch to Motul Brake fluid. The brakes themselves are fuckin awesome though. Carbon Ceramic FTW (until you have to replace them :( )

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Invisible glass is awesome. The maids left a bottle last time they were at the house and I have been using it. That stuff + microfibre towels after using my speedy prep nanoskin towel and you don't need rain-x.

Seriously it is so good. I just use old newspapers with it and the clarity it provides is amazing for a $5 can.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give the invisible glass stuff a go. I haven't tried wiping off with newspaper either, usually just use microfiber cloths.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The sound changer? That little resonator tube dealy to get sound in the cabin? Has anyone done testing with that? Often those are designed for air flow resonance (I don't know the details) so that at certain rpm ranges you'll have improved airflow through the intake.

What are you going to do with the steering wheel?

I don't want to be a debbie downer since I know you're having fun getting these little things, but you can probably do something a little more positive with the car with your money.

The sound tube is a purely acoustic thingie, has nothing to do with the airflow through the intake,
As for the steering wheel, I will try a TRD/Momo wheel instead of the stock one. it's a bit smaller in diameter and a bit thicker.

stock:
image-1.jpg

TRD/Momo (pic from speedhunters):
80b2912252f0af5cf04f0971a692429b.jpg

as for debbie: sure, there are plenty of mods possible. At the moment, I don't feel the necessity of doing them, though.

No Love

Banned
Hi AutoGAF,

Been waiting to post in here for a while. Finally got my account validated, woot. :)

A bit about me: I currently drive a 2004 Evo 8 RS that I daily drive and use as a track car. It's ridiculously fun and the performance is mindblowing (I've got high-end suspension, a modded rear diff for powersliding/oversteer, good tires, and other suspension goodies). Last dyno I put down 473 whp/398 wtq. Gotta love E85. :)

Looking forward to the GAF Auto chats!

TylerD

Hi AutoGAF,

Been waiting to post in here for a while. Finally got my account validated, woot. :)

A bit about me: I currently drive a 2004 Evo 8 RS that I daily drive and use as a track car. It's ridiculously fun and the performance is mindblowing (I've got high-end suspension, a modded rear diff for powersliding/oversteer, good tires, and other suspension goodies). Last dyno I put down 473 whp/398 wtq. Gotta love E85. :)

Looking forward to the GAF Auto chats!

Welcome aboard!

I'm just about to go back outside to wash my car after claying and using about 44oz of lubricant, paint feels like glass right now. Almost time to break out the PC!

If anyone is looking for a quality leather care products, I highly recommend Gliptone liquid leather cleaner and conditioner. Especially if you like the smell of leather. MMM leather...

cube444

Go for it man. I went full out this March upgrading to M3 pieces and some others:

Front sway bar

Front lower wishbone/control arm (L)

Front lower wishbone/control arm (R)

Front tension strut (L)

Front tension strut (R)

Adjustable front sway bar end links

Vorshlag camber plates

Strut tower kit

Rear sway bar

Rear subframe bushings - (front, 2X)
- (rear, 2X)
Rear guide rod (L)

Rear guide rod (R)

Rear upper link/wishbone (L)

Rear upper link/wishbone (R)

Adjustable rear sway bar end links

Megan Racing toe arms

Can someone tell me how a Honda S2000 gets the same gas mileage as a Corvette or my V8 SC400?

its a 2800lbs 4 Cyl with no turbo..

cant be because its pushing so much HP NA, cause the FRS and a 2ZZ Celica are both at 200HP and they get 30MPG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom