• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Can someone tell me how a Honda S2000 gets the same gas mileage as a Corvette or my V8 SC400?

its a 2800lbs 4 Cyl with no turbo..

cant be because its pushing so much HP NA, cause the FRS and a 2ZZ Celica are both at 200HP and they get 30MPG...

The engine is almost 15 years old.

Also, doesn't fuel injection improve gas mileage? Something that engine lacks, iirc.

ascii42

Can someone tell me how a Honda S2000 gets the same gas mileage as a Corvette or my V8 SC400?

cant be because its pushing so much HP NA, cause the FRS and a 2ZZ Celica are both at 200HP and they get 30MPG...

Torque. You don't have to rev a Corvette much to get it to move, and on the highway, it can be doing well under 2000 rpm because of the tall gearing the torque allows.

No Love

Banned

PRetty simple really:

AErodynamics: the s2000 has garbage aerodynamics, iirc 0.38 coefficient of drag. A c5 vette has a cd of 0.28.

SHort gearing: s2000 revs really high on the freeway, roughly 4000 rpm at 80 mph iirc from when I had one.

No Torque whatsoever: gotta give more gas to get any output

REAR toe in: from the factory the s2000 has a substantial amount of rear toe in, which decreases mpg

C5 or c6 vette will average better mpg than an s2000, city or highway.

Sorry for typos, typed this on my phone. On 91 pump my Evo actually gets the same mpg as my S2000 did... with over double the whp and AWD. I believe tuned S2000s get better mpg though, have heard reports of 33 mpg highway. A friend of mine who is a famous Evo tuner here in Socal has an s2000 and AVERAGES 27 mpg. He also has a Jetta diesel that averages 55 mpg so he has a pretty light foot.

TylerD

Paint correction on my hood with Megs M105 and M205 complete. The M105 dusts a lot, even moistening it with detailing spray and the M205 is kind of a pain to remove but the final result is pretty spectacular.

Before. Swirls and scratches everywhere!

PWTM3pXl.jpg

After. Not same location but very representative of the final result.

prpb5MZl.jpg

And the whole hood...

NX7ZiEHl.jpg

When I pulled out into the sun the metal flake pops like crazy and the sun reflection is absolutely blinding. I will be working from home for 2 weeks shortly and will be able to finish the whole car and do sealant.

coldfoot

Banned
Made a list of cars and percentages that show how likely that I'll be nice to them in traffic, let them get in front of me, etc. The higher the percentage, the more likely that I'll be nice to them.

1. Nice "enthusiast" cars: sports cars, Pontiac G8's & GTO's, GT-R's, M3's, Porsche's, classic muscle cars, GT86's, exotics, etc: 75%, but these are quite rare to encounter.
2. Regular cars and SUVs from all brands except Toyota and Hyundai: 50%
3. Hyundai's: 35% (They're next on the list for being the choice of people who don't know how to drive after Toyota)
4. Toyota/Lexus/Scion (Except 86 and LF-A if I ever come across one LOL): 20%
5. Taxicabs: 1% (Fuck them)
6. Any car with a NY plate irregardless of brand: 0%.
REALLY Fuck them. I'm in NJ across the Hudson river from NY, and they're the biggest assholes on the road. Go back to NY you pricks.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jersey douchenozzles need to stay out of NY. Your speed limits are spectacularly high and yet you guys are doing 45 in the left lane holding everyone back in NYC. Yet when we come to your state to haul ass to Atlantic City, you're doing 80 in the passing lane.

Dudes...wtf?

Thankfully I don't experience this shit in central Florida.

ameratsu

Is there a reason why aftermarket parts never seem to fit perfectly?

I bought an aluminum radiator for my integra to replace the leaking stock rad. Aftermarket rad has mounting holes for stock rad fan, but not the AC fan. That's not a big deal, I picked up a universal 12 inch fan to replace the stock AC fan. Except even with mounting holes for the stock rad fan, it didn't bolt up evenly at all. Had to modify the rad fan slightly to fit and it still isn't perfect.

coldfoot

Banned
Jersey douchenozzles need to stay out of NY.
I pretty much never go to NYC by car, it's a shitty place for cars anyway.

Your speed limits are spectacularly high
LOL, no. I drive this stretch of road quite often and it's a road with only a couple businesses, and no schools on either side.

Thought the retirement crowd and their slow-ass driving would drive you crazy there?

Been out in Vegas and Grand Canyon this break. Is there a reason why mustang convertibles are so popular here?
They're rentals.

N-Bomb

I would blame your car being bent, or failing that, cheap parts. It really depends. Some manus are better than others. All the Perrin stuff I've had has been top notch, for example. My H&S exhaust is great, got a bunch of Grimmspeed stuff to go on, soon.

Makes sense lol. Would probably have rented one too but my mom wanted the Altima :/

13 Altima is pretty nice though. We're these things always so big?

Gross. But no, not always. Japasedans have been growing steadily since the 80s. They've gone up at least 2 size classes since then, afaik.

reilo

You know, 4-series with M-package looks nice:

cBvX6Aq.jpg

Total MSRP as Built $58,600

A lot less than I thought.

Although I still think the 5-series with M-package (and M5 for that matter) is their best looking vehicle in their line-up right now.

reilo

That's an insane amount of money for a 2-door sedan that doesn't look better than its 4-door counterpart.

It's the 445i with M-sport, and it actually makes it right around the same cost (if not cheaper) than an Audi S5.

I also added a shit-ton of options to it:

Code:
TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder
Rear-wheel drive
BASE MSRP
[B]$46,000[/B]
M Sport     $3,100
Estoril Blue     $550
Black Dakota Leather     $1,450
Aluminum Hexagon interior trim     $0
Cold Weather Package     $700
Driver Assistance Package     $950
19" Light Alloy Wheel Double-spoke Style442 M with Mixed Performance Tires     $900
Technology Package     $3,150
Manual Transmission     $0
Harman Kardon surround sound system     $875
Destination & Handling:     $925

Jersey douchenozzles need to stay out of NY. Your speed limits are spectacularly high and yet you guys are doing 45 in the left lane holding everyone back in NYC. Yet when we come to your state to haul ass to Atlantic City, you're doing 80 in the passing lane.

Dudes...wtf?

ORRRR Your Speed limits are too low.

No Love

Banned

I bought an aluminum radiator for my integra to replace the leaking stock rad. Aftermarket rad has mounting holes for stock rad fan, but not the AC fan. That's not a big deal, I picked up a universal 12 inch fan to replace the stock AC fan. Except even with mounting holes for the stock rad fan, it didn't bolt up evenly at all. Had to modify the rad fan slightly to fit and it still isn't perfect.

Depends on the quality of the manufacturer. Some aftermarket parts fit BETTER than OEM.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Dudes...wtf?

You should see Southeastern Florida. Twice, I saw an old guy driving in the wrong lane. And that is only the start of what I've seen down there.

Lizardus

i am really leaning towards buying a new Audi RS5. Anyone have experience with them? Currently own an 07 civic. I'll be buying A car next year

No Love

Banned
i am really leaning towards buying a new Audi RS5. Anyone have experience with them? Currently own an 07 civic. I'll be buying A car next year

It's an Audi, don't do it. Theyre still riddled with issues, overpriced and underperforming. Yes, the interiors are fantastic but for your money, why blow it on the subpar RS5? If you want German luxury and performance, buy a 997 911 or wait for the new M3/M4.

Or buy the C7 Vette base model Z51 and smoke them all while actually keeping reliability and gold resale value on the table. Or my favorite... CTS V. Just a pulley and retune will net you 50-60 whp. A couple boltons more and E85 will add 150ish whp, taking you up to around 650 whp/650 wtq. All while offering that awesome Magnetic suspension and Caddy luxury. And that LSx motor supercharged under the hood will send RS5's running back to Germany. Gotta love what a 4 door luxury Vette can do.

Lizardus

It's an Audi, don't do it. Theyre still riddled with issues, overpriced and underperforming. Yes, the interiors are fantastic but for your money, why blow it on the subpar RS5? If you want German luxury and performance, buy a 997 911 or wait for the new M3/M4.

Or buy the C7 Vette base model Z51 and smoke them all while actually keeping reliability and gold resale value on the table. Or my favorite... CTS V. Just a pulley and retune will net you 50-60 whp. A couple boltons more and E85 will add 150ish whp, taking you up to around 650 whp/650 wtq. All while offering that awesome Magnetic suspension and Caddy luxury. And that LSx motor supercharged under the hood will send RS5's running back to Germany. Gotta love what a 4 door luxury Vette can do.

I should have mentioned that I live in Northern Alberta so AWD is pretty much a necessity.

Although I still think the 5-series with M-package (and M5 for that matter) is their best looking vehicle in their line-up right now.

The new M5 is a piece of shit. Avoid like the plague right now.
Buddy has already replaced 3 engines due to oil pump seizure.

I have never seen so many supercars in my life when I was in Kensington London. Even funnier/cooler when you see a booster seat in a Ferrari. They are also casually parked in supertight one way streets. I was holding my breathe when the cab driver squeezed between a Mclaren and a Bentley.

First "small" performance upgrade: I installed the TRD JDM Sports Air Filter last morning. while I was at it, I removed the foam plug from the default Sound changer as well.

The motor feels a bit free breathing, a teensy bit more elastic and a bit more bassy. Very subtle changes though, no game changer.

Next stop: Steering Wheel and front strut tower bar.

I got the K&N for my FR-S. it felt a bit better. Cheap upgrade. More so for the fact that I will never have to change the filter for the time I have the car.

coldfoot

Banned
It's new from the EPA ratings standpoint. Perhaps it means C7 owners will be able to get even better.
Everyone is so stuck on EPA highway mileage, where in the real world, city mileage is more significant for most people, and because you can't cheat it with gearing or aero, it's a better indicator of how efficient the engine is. In that regard, I find the 20 city mpg of the Carrera S much more impressive than the 17 city mpg of the Vette.

Of course the Carrera S is 100 grand, so when performance per dollar comes into the equation, corvettes can't be beat.

Zach Bowman seems to be leaving Autoblog for RT. Most (or all) of you probably don't know him, but he's one of the regulars on their podcast, and I loved listening to him rage and yell at Dan Roth for being wrong about everything.

;____;

Do you guys listen to any automotive podcasts? Cartalk is decent, but I like the format of Autoblog where three guys just shoot the shit about models for over an hour.

TylerD

Zach Bowman seems to be leaving Autoblog for RT. Most (or all) of you probably don't know him, but he's one of the regulars on their podcast, and I loved listening to him rage and yell at Dan Roth for being wrong about everything.

;____;

Web of lies!!! Love me some AB podcast and will definitely be missing Zach just like I missed Shunk when he left to work at GM. I will swear to Christ if the guys that are replacing him don't do a good job. As long as that curmudgeon Dan Roth is around, I think it will be in good hands.

No Love

Banned
So I'm thinking about maybe buying a C6 Z06 to go along with my Evo in the next few months. I'd tune it on E85 with bolt-ons/cams and shoot for 600+ whp, use it as a daily driver so I can maybe turn the Evo into a (mostly) dedicated road racing car.

Anybody think it might be better to wait til next year or after the C7 drops? I was hoping Z06 prices would drop $5-10k down to $30-35k range thanks to the C7.

Smokey

cBvX6Aq.jpg

Total MSRP as Built $58,600

A lot less than I thought.

I think the 6 series Gran Coupe is their best looking car right now. And the M6 version? My god

I saw one the other day by work, looks like a fucking beast in person

TylerD

So I'm thinking about maybe buying a C6 Z06 to go along with my Evo in the next few months. I'd tune it on E85 with bolt-ons/cams and shoot for 600+ whp, use it as a daily driver so I can maybe turn the Evo into a (mostly) dedicated road racing car.

Anybody think it might be better to wait til next year or after the C7 drops? I was hoping Z06 prices would drop $5-10k down to $30-35k range thanks to the C7.

Damn dude, are you balling or what? That EVO sounds pretty sick as it is. One of the cars would surely get jealous.

I think the 6 series Gran Coupe is their best looking car right now. And the M6 version? My god

I totally agree. The 6 Gran Coupe is H O T.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

My brother has an M6. It's an absolute neckbreaker...in looks and speed, actually. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom