• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
So people here, any of y'all drive a convertible for a daily driver? How is it year round? Soft top vs hard top? How about bad weather?

Used to drive one, but it's different in California, not sure where you're at.

Soft top > hard top if it's a removable hard top, and even if it's a power hard top. Power hard top = worse handling, worse MPG, slower speed etc all due to extra weight, and is more expensive. Uglier too.

Soft top is simply epic, especially if it's a 2 seater convertible. Ticket the windows dark and it's like a cave. Lower the top and it's a totally different experience.

Smokey

So people here, any of y'all drive a convertible for a daily driver? How is it year round? Soft top vs hard top? How about bad weather?

I drive a hard top 335. I've had it for 2 years or so. I haven't had any problems with it. I've driven it to Kansas and went through a beast of a storm in OK, and no water seeped through or anything. Done plenty of driving in bad weather here too

It's fun to drive around with the top down. Top up is fine, just not a fan of the smaller rear window but I've gotten used to it.

No problems here on my Miata, and AFAIK, it still has the same top that shipped out of the factory in Japan back in 2005. If you get a choice though, get a cloth over vinyl as cloth is more durable than vinyl. And for good measure, apply a protectant once a year. Dunno if that really makes any difference, but the folks at the Miata forums suggested to do it so I did.

Also, I think I'd rather take a PRHT over a soft top. The only advantage you can get from a soft top is that you can drop it in less than 5 seconds. On the other hand, PRHT is much more safe since you know, you actually got a roof on top of your head, and also it'll be more secure. Dunno about the worse weight, mpg's and all that crap though... must be from a shitty car company lol. AFAIK, there's practically no performance difference between a soft top and PRHT with a current gen Miata.

Next big difference is where you live. Here in Texas it practically never snows, so I don't need a PRHT or a hard top tbh. And even when it does, the state is practically shut down so that's another factor. Worst thing with the weather is if it's hot, the car is gonna be baking inside... and if it's cold, it's gonna effin' cold.

It's pretty decent with bad weather too... of course if you've got decent tires you should be good. Hell, I ran my summer tires last year during winter and the temps got as low as 27F and my car had no problems. Of course, I wasn't being a dumbass either and pushing it. I plan to do the same this year, and will continue to until I decide to get all seasons, if that ever happens lol.

coldfoot

Banned
So I'm thinking about maybe buying a C6 Z06 to go along with my Evo in the next few months. I'd tune it on E85 with bolt-ons/cams and shoot for 600+ whp, use it as a daily driver so I can maybe turn the Evo into a (mostly) dedicated road racing car.
Sounds backwards, I'd have made the 4-door car with AWD a daily driver and the 600hp 2-seater RWD car with crappy interior to be the track car.

So I'm thinking about maybe buying a C6 Z06 to go along with my Evo in the next few months. I'd tune it on E85 with bolt-ons/cams and shoot for 600+ whp, use it as a daily driver so I can maybe turn the Evo into a (mostly) dedicated road racing car.

Anybody think it might be better to wait til next year or after the C7 drops? I was hoping Z06 prices would drop $5-10k down to $30-35k range thanks to the C7.

The C7 performance isn't enough to dethrone the Z06 so their values won't drop much until the C7Z is out and C6Z owners (like me) want to upgrade.

Instead of HP, get a C6Z and go beat on cars at the track. The stock package, ESP if you have the Z07 performance package, owns the track.

I'd keep the Evo for the street and the Z for the track.

No Love

Banned
No problems here on my Miata, and AFAIK, it still has the same top that shipped out of the factory in Japan back in 2005. If you get a choice though, get a cloth over vinyl as cloth is more durable than vinyl. And for good measure, apply a protectant once a year. Dunno if that really makes any difference, but the folks at the Miata forums suggested to do it so I did.

Also, I think I'd rather take a PRHT over a soft top. The only advantage you can get from a soft top is that you can drop it in less than 5 seconds. On the other hand, PRHT is much more safe since you know, you actually got a roof on top of your head, and also it'll be more secure. Dunno about the worse weight, mpg's and all that crap though... must be from a shitty car company lol. AFAIK, there's practically no performance difference between a soft top and PRHT with a current gen Miata.

Base Curb Weight lbs
4001(335i convertible)
3582(335i coupe)
3571(335is)

A 335i with a power hard top weighs 400+ lbs more than one without one. You don't think 400 lbs will affect MPG and acceleration, as well as handling?

BMW must be a shitty car company then. And Lexus too:

IS350 Curb weight
Sedan 3571
Convertible 3872

No Love

Banned
Sounds backwards, I'd have made the 4-door car with AWD a daily driver and the 600hp 2-seater RWD car with crappy interior to be the track car.

I like gobs of low end torque for DD though. :( And the Evo is heavily modified and RED, so it's a bit of a cop magnet... The Evo will eventually have 600-650 whp/600 wtq for street driving, detuned to 400-450 whp for track.

The C7 performance isn't enough to dethrone the Z06 so their values won't drop much until the C7Z is out and C6Z owners (like me) want to upgrade.

Instead of HP, get a C6Z and go beat on cars at the track. The stock package, ESP if you have the Z07 performance package, owns the track.

I'd keep the Evo for the street and the Z for the track.

Yeah I've heard. My Evo is competitive with and beats C6Z's on track BUT... I know I can do a lot if I also put KW's on a Z and fit it with 325mm tires front and rear, along with some beefier brake pads. The C6Z is ridiculous stock, but with some suspension/tire tweaks... yeah, I'd fall in love with that much grip in a RWD car. :|

And take it with a grain of salt, but isn't the C7 base model with Z51 performance package only 1 second slower than a C6 ZR1 at VIR?

Viperbah

Yeah I've heard. My Evo is competitive with and beats C6Z's on track BUT... I know I can do a lot if I also put KW's on a Z and fit it with 325mm tires front and rear, along with some beefier brake pads. The C6Z is ridiculous stock, but with some suspension/tire tweaks... yeah, I'd fall in love with that much grip in a RWD car. :|

And take it with a grain of salt, but isn't the C7 base model with Z51 performance package only 1 second slower than a C6 ZR1 at VIR?

Nice, what's done to your EVO?

I enjoyed my C6Z when I had it. It was a fun street car, took it to VIR a couple of times and our local 1/4 mile track. It gave me some small issues, nothing major, but I wouldn't buy one without a warranty. Also, your not going to fit 325s on the front.

Base Curb Weight lbs
4001(335i convertible)
3582(335i coupe)
3571(335is)

A 335i with a power hard top weighs 400+ lbs more than one without one. You don't think 400 lbs will affect MPG and acceleration, as well as handling?

BMW must be a shitty car company then. And Lexus too:

IS350 Curb weight
Sedan 3571
Convertible 3872

Dunno if it's coz I just woke up or anything, but I sense some salt in your post. I was joking about the entire shitty company lol. No need to bring serious truthfacts or whatever in this thread. And if it wasn't some salt, then excuse my assumption.

Fun fact though, curb weight between a soft top and PRHT 2013 Miata according to Edmunds:
ST: 2511
PRHT: 2593

Weight difference is practically non-existent as MPG's and performance don't change. Only thing that changes is the drag coefficient, .34 in ST and .32 in the PRHT.

I think it's quite awesome that a small, struggling Japanese car company can create two versions of the same car and the only difference is 82 pounds between the two. Meanwhile we've got these bloated luxury car companies making all these kinds of high-tech crap with boatloads of cash, and they can't even consolidate and create pairity within the same cars.

But meh, I think I'm getting off topic so I should just stop lol. Maybe I'll go to Starbucks with the top down before it gets hot as shit out here.

i guess the difference between the size of the top for a sedan coupe vs a 2 seater roadster would contribute to the weight difference.

the hardtop on miata is quite impressive. Think 10 seconds up? Sure softtop is quicker, but transforming shit is always dope.

it's pretty much a toss up between getting a miata and a fr-s when my contract to perm conversion goes through... hmmmm...

TCRS

Banned
The BMW 6 Gran Coupe is indeed a nice car and the best looking of the 6 series, but as this guy says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9Jg_frDVs

What exactly is the point of the 6 Gran Coupe when you can get a 5 series with similar space and options for much cheaper. It's also more practical for five people. But if money is no issue I would go for the 6 as well.

Against an older C6Z not a ZR1. Mainly due to the Michelin tires vs Goodyear Run Craps.

The Michelin PSS/PS2 ZP's are 3 seconds a lap faster. The Michelin SC's are even faster than that (borderline slicks).

You can look at the Z07 packaged Z and get all the goodies of a ZR1 (wheels, brakes, suspension, cooling). Then just replace the brake fluid with Motul RBF 600, add sticky tires and own anything on the track.

No Love

Banned
Nice, what's done to your EVO?

I enjoyed my C6Z when I had it. It was a fun street car, took it to VIR a couple of times and our local 1/4 mile track. It gave me some small issues, nothing major, but I wouldn't buy one without a warranty. Also, your not going to fit 325s on the front.

Evo has upgraded turbo (MAP EF 2.5), e85, boltons, Robispec KW Race coil overs, Whiteline Roll Center Kit, modded Weir 12 plate rear diff, all that fun stuff. Weighs 3044 lbs with a half tank of gas!

What is your reasoning for suggesting not buying a Z06 without warranty? Is it because of the issues the 06s and 07s had with tengines blowing? WASN'T it something in the head?

Against an older C6Z not a ZR1. Mainly due to the Michelin tires vs Goodyear Run Craps.

The Michelin PSS/PS2 ZP's are 3 seconds a lap faster. The Michelin SC's are even faster than that (borderline slicks).

You can look at the Z07 packaged Z and get all the goodies of a ZR1 (wheels, brakes, suspension, cooling). Then just replace the brake fluid with Motul RBF 600, add sticky tires and own anything on the track.

No its the ZR1... ZR1 ran a 2:50.7 and the new C7 ran a 2:51.78... blog.caranddriver.com/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-performance-estimates-revealed/

Interesting that the C7 base traps 119 and the c6 Z06 traps 126 mph. Thats a massive difference in trap speed. Z06 is a bit lighter and has 50 crank hp more, but that's not going to add 7 mph to trap speed at the same track. Unless they were done at different tracks or with much different weather or drivers. Who knows.

C7 looks so good but for a lot less the Z06 is a bargain. And that z07 package does look epic... hopefully I can find one with z07 package for a good deal.

N-Bomb

i guess the difference between the size of the top for a sedan coupe vs a 2 seater roadster would contribute to the weight difference.

the hardtop on miata is quite impressive. Think 10 seconds up? Sure softtop is quicker, but transforming shit is always dope.

it's pretty much a toss up between getting a miata and a fr-s when my contract to perm conversion goes through... hmmmm...

What's the reason why power tops won't go up/down while the car is moving?

No Love

Banned
Used G8 for DD, and sell your Evo to get a Vette as a track car :)

6 speed G8s are super expensive still! 30-40k with low miles last time I checked...? Probably be better off getting an 05-06 GTO and modding the crap out of it and boosting it.

Itd be so hard to sell the Evo. It is such an amazingly satisfying car to drive in so many ways. Its one of my favorite cars ever and its so practical and rock solid in its reliability. I dont think I could do it. :/ I believe I can afford to keep it and buy a z06 and a third car. My GF is buying a Lexus IS-F so that will be doing some daily driving duties for us as well.

No Love

Banned

Safety issue. Imagine if some dumbass puts the top down or up at 80 mph. Thatd be very, very bad. When I had my s2000 I cut the wire that connects to the speed sensor for the soft top so I could put it up and down while moving.

I assume its a safety regulation thing or a 'just in case of lawsuits thing'? You can only do it with ebrake up on miata at least.

Can you slide up/down the top of a convertible with manual top while cruising?

N-Bomb

Safety issue. Imagine if some dumbass puts the top down or up at 80 mph. Thatd be very, very bad. When I had my s2000 I cut the wire that connects to the speed sensor for the soft top so I could put it up and down while moving.

Aha, makes sense. I wonder what the max safe speed for doing that would be. Seems a waste to stop in order to do it when you can just slow down.

I assume its a safety regulation thing or a 'just in case of lawsuits thing'? You can only do it with ebrake up on miata at least.

If you've got $300 bucks you don't need to put the ebrake up these days. There's a mod called SmartTop and IIRC it enables you to drop/close the top at max 30mph or something like that. Without it, you definitely gotta pull up the ebrake or it definitely won't let you.

Anyway, I haven't tried to drop the top while my car is running since it's a obviously a dumb idea. But it definitely is possible to drop the soft top at safe speeds. I usually just wait at the next traffic light and drop it, since it doesn't take me more than 5 seconds to pull the latch and throw the top back behind me, then locking it in place if it doesn't automatically lock.

Also I think there's actually an electronic control for even the soft top. My radio always cuts out for a second the moment I pull the latch down. It doesn't really cause any issues so I haven't bothered looking it up lol.

Viperbah

What is your reasoning for suggesting not buying a Z06 without warranty? Is it because of the issues the 06s and 07s had with tengines blowing? WASN'T it something in the head?

While it's rare, all LS7s have the potential for valve guide failure, which will result in blowing your engine if not corrected. There are other annoyances with C6Z's, but nothing too major, check out the sticky C6Z section of corvetteforum. I honestly haven't kept up with all of the info about C6Z's since I sold mine, so there might be new info out there about some of the issues. If your going to do a H/C, obviously don't worry with the warranty.

Interesting that the C7 base traps 119 and the c6 Z06 traps 126 mph. Thats a massive difference in trap speed. Z06 is a bit lighter and has 50 crank hp more, but that's not going to add 7 mph to trap speed at the same track. Unless they were done at different tracks or with much different weather or drivers. Who knows.

Yeah...different days, different drivers. 126 mph for a stock z06 is on the high side.

If you've got $300 bucks you don't need to put the ebrake up these days. There's a mod called SmartTop and IIRC it enables you to drop/close the top at max 30mph or something like that. Without it, you definitely gotta pull up the ebrake or it definitely won't let you.

Anyway, I haven't tried to drop the top while my car is running since it's a obviously a dumb idea. But it definitely is possible to drop the soft top at safe speeds. I usually just wait at the next traffic light and drop it, since it doesn't take me more than 5 seconds to pull the latch and throw the top back behind me, then locking it in place if it doesn't automatically lock.

Also I think there's actually an electronic control for even the soft top. My radio always cuts out for a second the moment I pull the latch down. It doesn't really cause any issues so I haven't bothered looking it up lol.

How are convertibles over there in the summer like in traffic?

Just wondering because my daily commute is pretty much traffic and it can get quite hot in GA.

Is this even street legal?

14520.46f2c66722604a1e7fd4cfe4b20c5c96.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Is this even street legal?
There are probably 10 other things that aren't street legal on that car before you even get to the busted rear view mirror. If a black guy's driving that car, he probably gets pulled over daily. Multiple black guys = felony stop with at least 3 Police cruisers.

How are convertibles over there in the summer like in traffic?

Just wondering because my daily commute is pretty much traffic and it can get quite hot in GA.

Not too bad, as long as you got a working AC that is lol.

Mine's a black cloth soft top with black leather interior... it's impossible for the car to be cool in the summer. :(

But it's liveable. I always drive with my windows down below 60mph, the only time I don't is when you can really feel the heat cooking your skin or when I'm sweating mad haha.

No its the ZR1... ZR1 ran a 2:50.7 and the new C7 ran a 2:51.78... blog.caranddriver.com/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-performance-estimates-revealed/

C7 looks so good but for a lot less the Z06 is a bargain. And that z07 package does look epic... hopefully I can find one with z07 package for a good deal.

Comparing the C&D times against Corvette official test driver (Jim Merro) isn't the same thing.

Jim Mero's times:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1584209678-post280.html

C6 GS with Goodyear Gen1 = 2.58
C6 GS with Goodyear Gen2 = 2.54.5
C6 Z06 with Goodyear Gen2 = 2.50
C6 ZR1 with Mich PS2 = 2.48
C6 ZR1 with Mich PSC = 2.45

C7 Z51 with Mich PSS = 2.51.8

Again, the Michelin tires a major jump in performance compared to the Goodyears. Once I wear out the PS2 ZP's at my next trackdays, I'm going to put on the SC's.

The Z07 package is 2011+ Just fyi.

Just got out of Pacific Rim.

They destroyed a silver RX-7 in Tokyo and a black Supra in Hong Kong. :((

Edit: Ooh top of the page... here's one of the best NC Miata's I've ever seen.

Yep, Miata's local to North Texas. I've met the owner and the car, it really is that beautiful in person.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mazda is doing exactly what every enthusiast wishes automotive companies would do. Singular platform that scales up or down based on segment, low-weight, high-efficiency engines, great styling inside and out, affordability, and the ability to feel connected to your driving experience.

Now if they would only fix that wheel gap. Can't have it all, I suppose.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/07/going-ugly-on-purpose/

I saw this article just today and it really hit home with me. The idea is that some companies intentionally create genuinely ugly base trim wheels in order to push people to upgrade. Not just small, but ugly.

This is particularly common here in Europe, I've found, with many otherwise lovely cars being ruined by hideous wheels.

For instance, look at these wheels on this A6. I mean, come on, those are nasty looking.

5Vr.jpg

They look even worse in person.

I've seen this kind of thing all over the place on all manners of cars. It's strange to me that they would spoil the image of these nice cars with such ugly wheels.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's especially worse when you get shit like on the Toyota Prius that's half hub-cap, half polished steel wheel on a 15" wheel, and the fact that the car looks better without the hubcap.

Not that the Prius is a good looking vehicle by any means, but it's not a cheap one, either.

Yep, Miata's local to North Texas. I've met the owner and the car, it really is that beautiful in person.

do all miata have those 'angry eyes' or was that custom? Kinda eerie lol.

No Love

Banned
So I just started playing with the idea of getting a GTR and doing minor mods + E85 and getting it to 600 whp on stock turbos. It would be a fun daily driver/2nd track car. I would keep the Evo of course. I see 2009 GTRs with low miles going for $59-63k. Seems like a bargain.

Might get the Z06 first then add the GTR to the stable. I need to buy house first though to park all my toys at though, and CA houses in LA/OC are expensive. :/

N-Bomb

Just got out, myself - I didn't see the Supra - but I'm glad I wasn't the only one hoping the FD would make it - in fairness, it wasn't destroyed on screen, so it may have survived! :D

What a fantastic movie.

Now if they would only fix that wheel gap. Can't have it all, I suppose.

Ehh. Wheel gap is up to you to 'fix' with ridiculous wheels and tires. Factory sizing is better small.

No Love

Banned
XmTqPqQ.jpg

(sorry for the crappy quality)

My new BRZ

edit: 6spd limited.

Get rid of those hideous stock rims. Who at Toyota/Subaru thought those were acceptable!? They look like a knockoff of cheap shitty generic rims you see on ghetto cars. It makes me sad that those come stock on a good looking car like the FT86 twins.

And good job getting it in 6 spd! It is not the kind of car that's enjoyable in auto.

mike23

Get rid of those hideous stock rims. Who at Toyota/Subaru thought those were acceptable!? They look like a knockoff of cheap shitty generic rims you see on ghetto cars. It makes me sad that those come stock on a good looking car like the FT86 twins.

And good job getting it in 6 spd! It is not the kind of car that's enjoyable in auto.

Maybe I'm crazy or it's just through new car tinted vision, but I kinda like them. Any suggestions on nicer rims?

I actually was going to get it in white, but there wasn't one to be found in the state until next month. Black was a close second choice and I'm really happy with it though now that I have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom