• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

So....

I'm looking to clean my aluminum rims tomorrow. Seems like it'll be an all day thing :(. Sanding...polishing....clear coating.... :(.

Worst will be taking the tires off...I hate doing that.

Is there an easier solution....one where I don't have to take the wheels off?

The new Mazda 3 sedan is so damn sexy. After reading the excellent first impressions this may be my next car.
I really like the hatchback version. Mazda seems to be impressing from all the early stuff I've read. Plan to buy a car in the next year or two and now have my eye on it.

No Love

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy or it's just through new car tinted vision, but I kinda like them. Any suggestions on nicer rims?

I actually was going to get it in white, but there wasn't one to be found in the state until next month. Black was a close second choice and I'm really happy with it though now that I have it.

Enkei GTC01's look fantastic on BRZ's.

To make your own choice, go here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

I am very partial to Enkei NT03+M's. Used to have a set of them. They look amazing on almost any car.

IMG_4540-L.jpg

do all miata have those 'angry eyes' or was that custom? Kinda eerie lol.

Nope, custom eyelids as somebody said.

Eyelids for me are a hit or miss. They rarely work, but if they do, they look amazing like on that one.

Just got out, myself - I didn't see the Supra - but I'm glad I wasn't the only one hoping the FD would make it - in fairness, it wasn't destroyed on screen, so it may have survived! :D

Haha, did you also notice Tokyo had tons of Mazda's sitting around? The funniest part was when they showed the rear of a Mazda6... only it was the 2012 American/Ford built version of the 6 not the global version lol.

And yeah the Supra, Mk3 I think, it was when that kaiju was going after Charlie Day's character in HK.

I wonder if there are other unique cars in there that I missed. I tried to keep my eye out after the RX-7 but I only caught the Supra. Hopefully the DVD comes out soon lol.

THE:MILKMAN

Just ordered a new Fiesta ST in spirit blue with the style pack. Always promised myself I'd get a hot hatch. It will be quite the upgrade from my current Citroen C1!

Ford-Fiesta_ST_2013_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

Be picking her up in ~3 weeks and can't wait.

robox

Just got out of Pacific Rim.

They destroyed a silver RX-7 in Tokyo and a black Supra in Hong Kong. :((

didn't see the supra either. perhaps you meant the 3000gt/gto.

and is it just me, or does the nissan figaro show up in more movies than it really should? for a jdm only car, it gets inserted in all sorts of western locales

didn't see the supra either. perhaps you meant the 3000gt/gto.

You might be right!

Looking at pics of a 3000GT and a Supra Mk3, they look really similar. For reference, here's the two cars:

Sad thing is, this really reflects on how crappy Japanese car design was back in the early 90's. I honestly cannot differentiate between a Mk3 Supra, FC RX-7, 240SX, 4th gen Celica, 3000GT lol. The long hood and pop up headlights throw me off so much, I gotta look somewhere else to figure out what car it is. -___-

You might be right!

Looking at pics of a 3000GT and a Supra Mk3, they look really similar. For reference, here's the two cars:

Sad thing is, this really reflects on how crappy Japanese car design was back in the early 90's. I honestly cannot differentiate between a Mk3 Supra, FC RX-7, 240SX, 4th gen Celica, 3000GT lol. The long hood and pop up headlights throw me off so much, I gotta look somewhere else to figure out what car it is. -___-

FC was mid 80s.
FD was early 90s.

No Love

Banned
I have been heavily considering selling my evo and also getting a c6z.

I really don't like any of BMWs cars past the e36.

*Brofist* Brother from another! E30 and E36 for life.

E46 and above BMW's are so unreliable and the performance is so low considering the maintenance cost. Total "meh" reaction from me.

No Love

Banned
I couldn't help but take the rims from that, and shop it onto the new 2014 mazda3 up above. Also, I lowered it to get rid of that ghastly wheel gap.

Gorgeous. God damn the new Mazdas are beautiful.

I think I'm going to buy another set of those Enkeis, in that color (Hyper black). 18x9.5 here I come!

N-Bomb

Haha, did you also notice Tokyo had tons of Mazda's sitting around? The funniest part was when they showed the rear of a Mazda6... only it was the 2012 American/Ford built version of the 6 not the global version lol.

I wonder if there are other unique cars in there that I missed. I tried to keep my eye out after the RX-7 but I only caught the Supra. Hopefully the DVD comes out soon lol.

I noticed the crushed Subaru Forester at one point.

Ehh. There's always copycats. I honestly, and Reilo or someone will mock me for this, think that design was much better in the late 80s/early 90s than it is now. Less art, more design.

I noticed the crushed Subaru Forester at one point.

Ehh. There's always copycats. I honestly, and Reilo or someone will mock me for this, think that design was much better in the late 80s/early 90s than it is now. Less art, more design.

Ehh, Foresters are common lol. Now if it was a SVX, that would've been a travesty.

And yeah I agree. I like the general design, I just think that automakers should've added something extra to differentiate them from each other. It's like all Japanese automakers sat in one conference room and said "this is how a Japanese sports car should look like, anything else and it'll be automatically assumed to be inferior." Plus, countless of times I've seen a car with pop up headlights from a distance and think it's something special. But it's only a beat up, riced out 240SX. -____-

Also, yes most of these cars were designed in the late 80's, but my point still stands. Thankfully, some of the companies woke up and designed fantastic looking cars later on.

N-Bomb

I just think that automakers should've added something extra to differentiate them from each other. It's like all Japanese automakers sat in one conference room and said "this is how a Japanese sports car should look like, anything else and it'll be automatically assumed to be inferior."

Well, look at the current JAPALUXOBOAT collection. They may not all look identical, but they look similar enough that 'ugly' is generally their outstanding feature these days. :\

Speaking of movies and cars... theres gotta be a class in film school about car chases and random cuts to upshifting because in movies upshifting = MOR SPEED.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The worst part about the FnF chase scenes is when they switch to them changing gears... while driving automatics. And they make it look so dramatic, like the drivers had to perfectly time switching gears in their triptonic 4-speed auto from Chrysler.

The worst part about the FnF chase scenes is when they switch to them changing gears... while driving automatics. And they make it look so dramatic, like the drivers had to perfectly time switching gears in their triptonic 4-speed auto from Chrysler.

lol reminds me of was it Transporter 1 or 2? Statham shifting that audi like no1's business.

No Love

Banned
Speaking of movies and cars... theres gotta be a class in film school about car chases and random cuts to upshifting because in movies upshifting = MOR SPEED.

My car actually does the FnF "moar speed" effect. It seriously gets faster as you go up the gears. 3rd and 4th gear are just scary.

Well, look at the current JAPALUXOBOAT collection. They may not all look identical, but they look similar enough that 'ugly' is generally their outstanding feature these days. :\

I agree, except for Lexus. Say what you will about their current design language, but it's ugly in a good way. The new GS and IS are a sight for sore eyes, but I'd rather look at that than a upscaled Civic.

Infiniti is stepping up their game too. The G series were always distinct for looking like a crossbreed of a Porsche and BMW, but they're starting to get better at it. The new G37/Q50/whateverthehellthey'recallingit looks decent. Maybe their partnership with Renault and Mercedes is actually helping them out.

Ahahahaha, I was laughing my ass off when Han was driving that current gen Dodge Charger at the airstrip. I don't remember what motion it was, whether it was to the side or up/down, but they cut to a scene with him and I think Tyrese Gibson upshifting their Chargers. That was one of the worst 5 seconds of that movie... they at least could've swapped it with a real manual tranny coz you know, they got shittons of money in the bank? But nope, they gotta look dumb upshifting a torque converter. -___-

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ahahahaha, I was laughing my ass off when Han was driving that current gen Dodge Charger at the airstrip. I don't remember what motion it was, whether it was to the side or up/down, but they cut to a scene with him and I think Tyrese Gibson upshifting their Chargers. That was one of the worst 5 seconds of that movie... they at least could've swapped it with a real manual tranny coz you know, they got shittons of money in the bank? But nope, they gotta look dumb upshifting a torque converter. -___-

They did the exact same thin in Fast Five... where it was a drag race between 4 Chargers... It was like... ugh.

Anyway, happy times:

Turbocharged lightweight technology for M3 Coupe successor said:
What it will ‘be' is of great interest - and potentially, a solid chunk of Good News for the driving gloves brigade."What we'd like is more focus on lightweight engineering," he says. "The philosophy will be around delivering performance through improved used of materials - lightweight alloys, lots of carbon fibre etc - rather than simply trying to make the engine more powerful to move the same kind of car, or scaling it back too far so that it loses its M3 roots.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bmw-m4-m3-4-series-coupe-2013-07-12

No Love

Banned

LOL. So M3 and M4 will cost even more now and shave off 100 lbs with expensive materials? Oh joy.

M3 and M4 will be impressive if they can shave the weight down to E46 M3 levels of weight (so 400 lbs less than the E92 M3) yet make the chassis far stiffer than E9x.

Doubt it'll happen. Check the quote:

"We really want to focus on lightweight engineering. Plus we've got the technology in our ‘i' cars - carbon fibre, reinforced plastic and so forth - so that's where we're really looking to position it. Slightly more lightweight."

I'll say the absolute best they can do is possibly get it to around 335i levels of weight (3600~ lbs), which is still much better than the piggish E9x curb weight of 38xx lbs. Plus the new M3/M4 will have like 50%+ more torque so it'll feel a LOT better to drive everyday (E92 M3 is gutless).

Unfortunately, I think reliability will take a dump from the somewhat reliable E9x M3 and become similar to the reliability of the N54/N55 335i/135i. Which is to say... replace those turbos and high pressure fuel pumps on a bi-annual basis, baby. (Still doesn't stop me from lusting over the 1M, though.)

Chargers and 300s don't. V8 Challengers do offer a stick, however.

well well... how bout chargers in... wait where was the last FnF... brazil?

even though i laugh at the yahoo article, i think i'm part of the problem... got out of college this year, am definitely feeling like getting a new ~25k car this year lol.

this itch. Grown up middle class in a rich area code with kids driving new bmws in highschool.... i just want that new car feel. ;-;

ZetaEpyon

Took an FR-S for a test drive this past weekend to kill some time on Saturday afternoon. I normally drive a Mazdaspeed 3, so the difference in power (and probably even moreso, torque) was definitely evident, but I don't think that it would be a deal breaker for me. It's also pretty crazy how much it felt like I was putting the car "on" compared to what I'm used to. The Speed 3 felt really spacious after the test drive.

Pretty nice overall though, I'll definitely consider one the next time I'm ready to buy.

ascii42

well well... how bout chargers in... wait where was the last FnF... brazil?

even though i laugh at the yahoo article, i think i'm part of the problem... got out of college this year, am definitely feeling like getting a new ~25k car this year lol.

this itch. Grown up middle class in a rich area code with kids driving new bmws in highschool.... i just want that new car feel. ;-;

Heh, yeah. I bought a new 2010 Chevy Malibu (which had an MSRP of right around $25k but I paid just over $20k for it) about 6 months after graduating. Was definitely interesting getting a new car, since the car I was driving was made in 1976. I drove the family wagon, which was a 1996 Volvo 960, for a couple years in college before getting the '76 Olds. I think that was the newest car I'd had prior to the Malibu

N-Bomb

Meh. BMWs will still be, like all modern cars but taken to a higher degree, over-computerized rider's cars. No longer driver's cars.

No Love

Banned
Meh. BMWs will still be, like all modern cars but taken to a higher degree, over-computerized rider's cars. No longer driver's cars.

Agreed 100x. I had an E30, an E36 M3, and an E34 (5 speed 525i, Mom has it as her 2nd car)... driven lots of BMW's.

Old BMW's are what gave BMW their reputation, new BMW's just coast off their reputation ala new Honda's.

If you want a REAL BMW, buy an E30, E34, E36, or E39. New stuff just isn't the same. :(

Took an FR-S for a test drive this past weekend to kill some time on Saturday afternoon. I normally drive a Mazdaspeed 3, so the difference in power (and probably even moreso, torque) was definitely evident, but I don't think that it would be a deal breaker for me. It's also pretty crazy how much it felt like I was putting the car "on" compared to what I'm used to. The Speed 3 felt really spacious after the test drive.

Pretty nice overall though, I'll definitely consider one the next time I'm ready to buy.

yeah compare to speed3 its a big difference... its cool though that you can really push it while still be well under speed limit lol.

You're only part of the problem if you let it happen. :p

Kidding aside, I honestly don't think it's an issue. I'm gonna graduate fall of 2014 and I'm hoping that the RX-9, Supra, BRZ STi, or any similar car will be announced/out by then. I love love love my Miata, but I need a track car in the future. And what better car to use than a Miata?

Old BMW's are what gave BMW their reputation, new BMW's just coast off their reputation ala new Honda's.

If you want a REAL BMW, buy an E30, E34, E36, or E39. New stuff just isn't the same. :(

Damn, harsh words but I've been trying to find a perfect analogy for the current state of BMW and I think you have it. Their cars are mostly fantastic too look at, and performance is definitely there, but as a drivers car? Hell no.

Man, the E30 series is really nice but like most cars from that era, they're really hard to find these days. The ones available are either beat to hell or have some shitty option I don't want, like their old DCT tranny. :(

Heard this from the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt...

Two wrapped next-gen Miata mules were sighted in Seoul.

Source says he knows somebody with a photo of it and he's trying to get it, but his source is "missing" so to speak.

I also have a couple of friends living in various parts of SK so I've asked them to be on the lookout for it. And one of my car enthusiast buddies also vowed to find it tomorrow, he says there's an area in Seoul that's supposedly a testing ground for Kia/Hyundai prototypes so he's gonna stop by there tomorrow and check around.

Either way, take this with a grain of salt.

Now for non-rumor news, here's the new Mazda2 courtesy of Jalopnik.

k-bigpic.jpg

No Love

Banned
You're only part of the problem if you let it happen. :p

Kidding aside, I honestly don't think it's an issue. I'm gonna graduate fall of 2014 and I'm hoping that the RX-9, Supra, BRZ STi, or any similar car will be announced/out by then. I love love love my Miata, but I need a track car in the future. And what better car to use than a Miata?

Damn, harsh words but I've been trying to find a perfect analogy for the current state of BMW and I think you have it. Their cars are mostly fantastic too look at, and performance is definitely there, but as a drivers car? Hell no.

Man, the E30 series is really nice but like most cars from that era, they're really hard to find these days. The ones available are either beat to hell or have some shitty option I don't want, like their old DCT tranny. :(

Errr... E30's never had a DCT tranny. They had automatics, because they were introduced in the early 80's. I think maybe you're confused with E36 (which had SMG I, very rare) or E46 (SMG II), but those aren't dual clutch automated trannies, they're single clutch.

Stasis

Anyone have any good info on the difference between the old 6 and the new turbo 4 in the BMW 328i? In terms of performance, driving feel, and reliability.

No Love

Banned
Anyone have any good info on the difference between the old 6 and the new turbo 4 in the BMW 328i? In terms of performance, driving feel, and reliability.

I can give you my opinion, and some solid info.

New turbo 4 will most likely be less reliable going off 135i/335i reliability, due mostly to high pressure fuel pumps (if BMW is using the same junky x35i ones, then meh.) It has a lot more torque and a much nicer torque curve than the old 6, thanks to that super fast spooling twinscroll.

Also remember that the N20 turbo 4 is underrated from the factory, like the 335i. It has about 25 more horsepower/20 ft lb more torque than BMW claims, going by what dynos actually showed. This means the new turbo 4 makes about 35 more horsepower and 70 ft-lb more than the old 6 cyl did!

It should be lighter than the old 6 and the F30 chassis > E92, so it'll be more responsive, but I've heard F30's drive worse/more numb than E92's.

I think an E9x 335i CPO would be a much better buy overall.

TylerD

I recently drove normal e46 sedan and one with the sport package. My ZHP coupe feels so much better and more responsive than even a sport packaged e46. E9xs were too soft and I just didn't want to buy something as old as a e36 m3, though that s52 felt so good. When dealing with e46s, it is M3, ZHP, or nothing. I don't think I could have done better for an all around vehicle for the 16500 I paid. Sticker on mine was 48000 in 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom