• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, all 3 cars in that picture attract more guys than girls lol.

And realistically speaking, finding a girl who can discuss the differences between a STi and an Evo is 98% impossible. Throw in a 3rd gen STi and an Evo 8 as the pic suggests... a girl like that probably only exists in our brains. :(

I think a BMW for the STi and a VW Beetle for the Evo 8 are the perfect cars for this equation. The Shelby is perfectly fine though, and you could replace it with pretty much any sports car to get that result.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Heard this from the grapevine, so take it with a grain of salt...

Two wrapped next-gen Miata mules were sighted in Seoul.

Source says he knows somebody with a photo of it and he's trying to get it, but his source is "missing" so to speak.

I also have a couple of friends living in various parts of SK so I've asked them to be on the lookout for it. And one of my car enthusiast buddies also vowed to find it tomorrow, he says there's an area in Seoul that's supposedly a testing ground for Kia/Hyundai prototypes so he's gonna stop by there tomorrow and check around.

Either way, take this with a grain of salt.

Now for non-rumor news, here's the new Mazda2 courtesy of Jalopnik.

k-bigpic.jpg
Well, we do know that there's a new Miata coming, and it's going to share its chassis with a new Alfa Romeo Spider, so I'm glad that's still happening.

And the Mazda2 looks kawaii.

Stasis

I can give you my opinion, and some solid info.

Thanks for the reply! I shall look into all of this. I was wondering about their turbo reliability as I had heard bad things about the 135i/335i, which you're reporting too. Hmmm.

The underrating claim is interesting.

Also pretty bummed I miss N-Bomb's pic. Damn curiosity.

No Love

Banned
Thanks for the reply! I shall look into all of this. I was wondering about their turbo reliability as I had heard bad things about the 135i/335i, which you're reporting too. Hmmm.

The underrating claim is interesting.

Also pretty bummed I miss N-Bomb's pic. Damn curiosity.

It was some dumb pic about how STI/Evo/GT500 affect your sex life. And completely nonsensical lol

probably in the mid 2000s that pic might be possible, these days people are more interested in mileage. :S

tesla model s would probably get you some action.

Well, we do know that there's a new Miata coming, and it's going to share its chassis with a new Alfa Romeo Spider, so I'm glad that's still happening.

And the Mazda2 looks kawaii.

Bahahaha, I saw a current gen Mazda2 earlier. It's soooo cute I wanted to hug it.

And yeah, still no update from that source and my buddy says he hasn't seen anything either. So I'm not sure if this is real or not. But if it is real, then this is great news... the fact that they've got mules running around means that it's already out of the design and prototyping stage.

So maybe a reveal at the Tokyo Motor Show this November?

tesla model s would probably get you some action.

If you're a after a freaky tree loving hippie, then yes lol.

If you're a after a freaky tree loving hippie, then yes lol.

maybe, but to be fair, even the most boring sedans of today can probably hold their own on the straightway.

People just aren't interested in that anymore. Also interiors on a evo or sti... won't get any lass's panties off unless they are real motorheads.

Any sportsy car drivers here get any stranger women's attention these days?

coldfoot

Banned
In order to attract women, a car doesn't need to look sporty, it needs to look expensive.. Evo/Sti definitely don't look expensive. A BMW 328i with large wheels costs less than an Evo, but will definitely attract women much better.

TylerD

In order to attract women, a car doesn't need to look sporty, it needs to look expensive.. Evo/Sti definitely don't look expensive. A BMW 328i with large wheels costs less than an Evo, but will definitely attract women much better.

One of the things that I missed during my Accord ownership period. The day after I picked up my 330 coupe I was getting thumbs up and positive comments when I stopped to snap some shots along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I regularly get positive comments now from both sexes. Feels good man.

*Brofist* Brother from another! E30 and E36 for life.

E46 and above BMW's are so unreliable and the performance is so low considering the maintenance cost. Total "meh" reaction from me.

Exactly. Oh subframe can rip out for no reason at all, sweet. Oh the vanos seals like to go out, sweet. oh the vanos bolts back out and shear with no notice, sweet. Oh I need valve adjustments every 30k miles, oh and I need those stupid shim kits, thats cool also.
Oh oil changes cost me 80 bucks just in parts, I guess thats cool also.

Or I could buy a C5Z and run circles around an E46 M3 all day while not working about my subframe ripping out.

Fuck modern BMW.

You should. Track car or daily driver?

Daily as id probably have to sell my stable to afford insurance.

Unfortunately, I think reliability will take a dump from the somewhat reliable E9x M3 and become similar to the reliability of the N54/N55 335i/135i. Which is to say... replace those turbos and high pressure fuel pumps on a bi-annual basis, baby. (Still doesn't stop me from lusting over the 1M, though.)

BMW turbo engines are pieces of shit.

No Love

Banned
Exactly. Oh subframe can rip out for no reason at all, sweet. Oh the vanos seals like to go out, sweet. oh the vanos bolts back out and shear with no notice, sweet. Oh I need valve adjustments every 30k miles, oh and I need those stupid shim kits, thats cool also.
Oh oil changes cost me 80 bucks just in parts, I guess thats cool also.

Or I could buy a C5Z and run circles around an E46 M3 all day while not working about my subframe ripping out.

Fuck modern BMW.

Daily as id probably have to sell my stable to afford insurance.

BMW turbo engines are pieces of shit.

Agreed on all counts. LOL @ people thinking their chipped 335i's are godly.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I wish I held off buying my little Yaris. Yes I like it minus the shitty Toyota reliability but I want a Mazda 3 now. Gonna pay off the shitty Toyota within a year and trade that garbage in.

No Love

Banned
I wish I held off buying my little Yaris. Yes I like it minus the shitty Toyota reliability but I want a Mazda 3 now. Gonna pay off the shitty Toyota within a year and trade that garbage in.

Good choice. Mazda is absolutely killing it with the 3 and 6.

When I saw a Mazda 6 sedan on the freeway in traffic the other day... FUUUUUUUCK. Shaped by the gods, truly! Absolutely jawdropping.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Good choice. Mazda is absolutely killing it with the 3 and 6.

When I saw a Mazda 6 sedan on the freeway in traffic the other day... FUUUUUUUCK. Shaped by the gods, truly! Absolutely jawdropping.

Such gorgeous cars. Can't believe how affordable they are too. Saw a 6 the other day and the owner painted the chrome grill accent white. Looked so good.

uex.gif

No no no! its about sound and look in that department, then you need to be able to make them hold on to dear life when they are in the passenger seat.

coldfoot

Banned
No no no! its about sound and look in that department, then you need to be able to make them hold on to dear life when they are in the passenger seat.
Nope, it's all about perceived cost. Crotch rockets are faster and scarier than 99.9% of cars out there, yet you'll get more female attention if you're in a new Range Rover.

People just aren't interested in that anymore. Also interiors on a evo or sti... won't get any lass's panties off unless they are real motorheads.

Any sportsy car drivers here get any stranger women's attention these days?

You're absolutely right about the the 4wd rivals... they really have a narrow demographic(boy racers) and it doesn't matter if your Evo 10 has 650whp, random girls wouldn't be impressed with it as it looks like a regular sedan.

From experience, a two seater is a good starting point lol.

As for your question, kinda lol. Earlier today, decent looking girl in a riced out Accord coupe winked at me as I zoom-zoomed by her in the other lane. Felt good of course, but eh... rice.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I took a Fiat 500L for a test drive yesterday. It's really roomy inside, and it's got enough power with the turbo motor. I think I may get one if I get a new job soon.

Fun fact: the 500L is built at the former Yugo plant in Serbia. But the ride quality is so good, it doesn't matter.

Smokey

435i w/ M performance kit

dat carbon fiber

dunno how i feel about the back. digging the aggressive look especially against the boring, standard 435i. Although by the time you throw all these options on it...you might as well keep going for a M4.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There was a 435i in my neighborhood yesterday (in NY right now)...no fucking idea what the hell it was doing there or (perhaps) who was reviewing it.

46339_10153034769285434_1245841068_n.jpg

This is Forest Hills, NY

coldfoot

Banned

Saw a 3 GT in May here, before they were on sale. That car can be salvaged into a decent looker with a nice, static spoiler at the back and an M-kit.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
That M435i is hawt despite the overabundant use of carbone fiber (thankfully that's an option).

how are non-speed mazda's? I just realize i've never driven or ridden in them. Punchy enough?

huh, altimas are larger than maximas now? why not just stick with 1 fwd sedan at that point?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/infiniti-g37-to-live-on-in-showrooms-alongside-2014-q50/

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore has confirmed to Autoblog that a decision is pending on how long to extend the G37 sedan's production run. "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that." Confusingly, Infiniti has already announced that the Q50 is to start at $37,605 (including $905 destination charge), yet the 2013 G37 is more expensive, starting at $38,255 delivered according to Infiniti's consumer website. Thus, a price drop on the G37 is likely coming in short order.

So why hold on to the older model? With the Q50 launching exclusively with V6 and Hybrid models (a turbo four and diesel are said to be in the cards down the road), Infiniti evidently feels it is risking leaving lower-end sales on the table. "There's a lot of movement with the [BMW] 320i and such, and this allows us a two-tier strategy to compete," says Bazemore. Keeping the G37 on tap at a lower price for fleet sale duty may also serve to protect the Q50 as it establishes itself on the market.

For the moment, Infiniti is still determining whether to continue G37 sedan production beyond the 2013 model year, and some of that may depend on the arrival time of its new entry-level front-wheel drive model, expected to be dubbed Q30. A decision is likely to be made over the next few weeks. Adding to the confusion, the existing G37 Coupe and Convertible will be immediately rebranded as the 2014 Q60 Coupe and Convertible, even though they won't be based on the new Q50.

kirk-lazarus-00-650-75.jpg

how are non-speed mazda's? I just realize i've never driven or ridden in them. Punchy enough?

huh, altimas are larger than maximas now? why not just stick with 1 fwd sedan at that point?[

Nissan seems to have gone insane, see above.

cbox

huh, altimas are larger than maximas now? why not just stick with 1 fwd sedan at that point?

I have a 2010 gs 6 speed and I love it. Car is incredibly fun to drive, more so than anything else in its price range and higher imo.

Smokey

That M435i is hawt despite the overabundant use of carbone fiber (thankfully that's an option).

I know but looking at all that...I don't understand why you wouldn't just go for the M? I imagine that car as pictured is definitely in the 70ish range

coldfoot

Banned
It's a shame they don't make simple, fun to drive, good looking BMW's anymore. They're all on a scale from passable to fugly, >3500-4000+ lbs and with turbo engines that have problems.

No Love

Banned
Finally putting in my double pumper dual Walbro 255 setup today. I maxed out a single Walbro on E85 easily, so it was either a Walbro 416 single pump setup or double pumper. I lucked into getting TWO double pumpers, oddly enough: one for $200 on EvoM (normally goes for $600 + core) and then a friend offered to straight trade me his for my stock setup!

Will hit at least 500 whp now, hopefully 520-530 whp. After that I will need bigger cams, upgraded intake manifold, ported exhaust manifold to hit 550ish.

To hit 600+ whp and 500-550 wtq I will need a built motor, ideally a 2.3 or 2.4L stroker. :eek:

kudoboi

didn't even know there was a automotive neogaf thread. sadly i won't ever be able to own a car in my whole life because of how expansive a car costs here. ( a honda civic costs about 120K USD here). still, i loved cars since i was a kid. i remember when i was like 8 and would buy every single car model i saw in stores

KemoSabe

didn't even know there was a automotive neogaf thread. sadly i won't ever be able to own a car in my whole life because of how expansive a car costs here. ( a honda civic costs about 120K USD here). still, i loved cars since i was a kid. i remember when i was like 8 and would buy every single car model i saw in stores
fuck, where do you live?
its even more expensive than in germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom