• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

didn't even know there was a automotive neogaf thread. sadly i won't ever be able to own a car in my whole life because of how expansive a car costs here. ( a honda civic costs about 120K USD here). still, i loved cars since i was a kid. i remember when i was like 8 and would buy every single car model i saw in stores

Damn! I thought you were joking.......A 1.6 Civic works out to £67,600!

I could get a decent spec Porsche Cayman S and have change left for a Fiesta ST for that money even here in "rip-off Britain".

No Love

Banned
didn't even know there was a automotive neogaf thread. sadly i won't ever be able to own a car in my whole life because of how expansive a car costs here. ( a honda civic costs about 120K USD here). still, i loved cars since i was a kid. i remember when i was like 8 and would buy every single car model i saw in stores

Where do you live? Come to America, we let any idiot get a car here, even uninsured unlicensed drivers

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Also, any resources, links, and especially parts websites would be gladly appreciated!

reilo

Thanks!

95% of the things that need fixing are cosmetic. The car drives great. I wish the shifter didn't have as much horizontal travel as it does (really used to the tight shifter in my Speed6), but the clutch and feel of it is great once you get used to it.

The things that need to be fixed...

• Complete gauge cluster (coolant temp/odometer don't work, intermittent speedometer)
  • Driver side door lock doesn't work
  • Missing Glove box
  • A/C Compressor is seized
  • The driver side seat doesn't pull forward so nobody can get into the back from the that side
  • OBC is most likely causing a battery drain (I have a switch in the back for the battery)
  • Several cracks in the dash (previous owner gave me a dash in mint condition)
  • Noisy front strut top (previous owner gave me a new one)
The nice to have...

• Projector headlights
  • Seats are in bad shape
  • Paint is in bad shape
  • Minor dings
  • Carpet is nasty and needs to be replaced

No Love

Banned
Thanks!

95% of the things that need fixing are cosmetic. The car drives great. I wish the shifter didn't have as much horizontal travel as it does (really used to the tight shifter in my Speed6), but the clutch and feel of it is great once you get used to it.

The things that need to be fixed...

• Complete gauge cluster (coolant temp/odometer don't work, intermittent speedometer)
  • Driver side door lock doesn't work
  • Missing Glove box
  • A/C Compressor is seized
  • The driver side seat doesn't pull forward so nobody can get into the back from the that side
  • OBC is most likely causing a battery drain (I have a switch in the back for the battery)
  • Several cracks in the dash (previous owner gave me a dash in mint condition)
  • Noisy front strut top (previous owner gave me a new one)
The nice to have...

• Projector headlights
  • Seats are in bad shape
  • Paint is in bad shape
  • Minor dings
  • Carpet is nasty and needs to be replaced

Buy a used cluster for $30-50.

Get a seat bracket, carpet, glove box, etc from junkyard.

If you want to replace the dash its a huge fucking hassle. Id recommend just covering it and selling new dash.

For projector headlights, buy Depo Euro smileys, do retrofit projectors from theretrofitsource.com. or cheap hid kid if youre lazy.

Good condition seats are $200-400. I sold my mint leather vert/sport seats for $400.

For the shifter... replace shifter bushings and get a short shift kit.

reilo

Buy a used cluster for $30-50.

Get a seat bracket, carpet, glove box, etc from junkyard.

If you want to replace the dash its a huge fucking hassle. Id recommend just covering it and selling new dash.

For projector headlights, buy Depo Euro smileys, do retrofit projectors from theretrofitsource.com. or cheap hid kid if youre lazy.

Good condition seats are $200-400. I sold my mint leather vert/sport seats for $400.

For the shifter... replace shifter bushings and get a short shift kit.

An E30 convertible just arrived at a local junkyard and I shot them off a note already. I'll see what they have.

I'm gonna replace the dash despite how big of a pain it will be because the cracked one will annoy me to hell and back.

So I am still looking for a used car. I took some of your suggestions from my previous post in this thread (for a Coupe, Manual, previous budget - $10,000) and test drove some of them. Didn't really like what I tried so have decided to up my budget. Is a ~60,000 miles 2007/8 BMW (328i, 328xi) something I could look at or do they have transmission problems like the Minis? I am open to any other suggestions in the <$17k price range.

No Love

Banned
So I am still looking for a used car. I took some of your suggestions from my previous post in this thread (for a Coupe, Manual, previous budget - $10,000) and test drove some of them. Didn't really like what I tried so have decided to up my budget. Is a ~60,000 miles 2007/8 BMW (328i, 328xi) something I could look at or do they have transmission problems like the Minis? I am open to any other suggestions in the <$17k price range.

Dont even touch a used, out of warranty, late model BMW. It will destroy your bank account.

Here's some suggestions for fun, reliable, good cars in your price range

6 speed Honda Accord v6
6 speed Acura TL 2004-2008
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

I need some help... I'm looking to get a new car and trying to decide what to get. I drive a good amount and want something with good mpg. Willing to spend up to around ~20K sticker price. Doesn't have to be anything too crazy but it does have to be a manual. I'm looking at the ford focus, mazda 3, and vw jetta. The jetta I know is worse but my last car was a volkswagen and I loved it. I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 iTouring, has a reasonable price and a nice set of features for a car. Are there any other cars I should be considering?
Also, when is the best time to buy? Should I wait until 2014 models? It seems the Mazda 3 is getting a really nice upgrade for 2014 so I'm tempted to wait... Got them down to $17,800 sticker price at the mazda dealership the other day and pretty low financing too.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

6 speed Honda Accord v6

*looks at username*

Doesn't look right to me for some reason.

Lol jk

I need some help... I'm looking to get a new car and trying to decide what to get. I drive a good amount and want something with good mpg. Willing to spend up to around ~20K sticker price. Doesn't have to be anything too crazy but it does have to be a manual. I'm looking at the ford focus, mazda 3, and vw jetta. The jetta I know is worse but my last car was a volkswagen and I loved it. I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 iTouring, has a reasonable price and a nice set of features for a car. Are there any other cars I should be considering?
Also, when is the best time to buy? Should I wait until 2014 models? It seems the Mazda 3 is getting a really nice upgrade for 2014 so I'm tempted to wait... Got them down to $17,800 sticker price at the mazda dealership the other day and pretty low financing too.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Wait for the new Mazda 3 if you can. Better mpg's than the current model and it looks really sexy.

If you really need it now though then its all a matter of what you want. Focus for the bells and whistles, MZ3 for the driving dynamics, and Jetta coz VW.

No Love

Banned
*looks at username*

Lol jk

Wait for the new Mazda 3 if you can. Better mpg's than the current model and it looks really sexy.

If you really need it now though then its all a matter of what you want. Focus for the bells and whistles, MZ3 for the driving dynamics, and Jetta coz VW.

Lol. Those cars are actually awesome and get a pass.

*looks at username*

Lol jk

The slightly lower mpg for the focus is the only thing that bothers me... Although Jetta is even lower. :p What bells and whistles will the focus have over the mazda in 2014? The articles I read seemed to make it sound like they should be pretty comparable since the Mazda will get a touchscreen and a new system that will compete with ford sync style technology. I also dislike the drum brakes on the ford so between those two I'm leaning towards Mazda but I don't know everything about both cars.

Does anyone know how deals are when new models come out? Are they 10x less likely to cut from MSRP? Do they usually have 0% financing deals or not until after they've been out a while? I'm assuming their deals are sort of crappy when new models come out if you want the new models but not sure.

No Love

Banned
The slightly lower mpg for the focus is the only thing that bothers me... Although Jetta is even lower. :p What bells and whistles will the focus have over the mazda in 2014? The articles I read seemed to make it sound like they should be pretty comparable since the Mazda will get a touchscreen and a new system that will compete with ford sync style technology. I also dislike the drum brakes on the ford so between those two I'm leaning towards Mazda but I don't know everything about both cars.

Does anyone know how deals are when new models come out? Are they 10x less likely to cut from MSRP? Do they usually have 0% financing deals or not until after they've been out a while? I'm assuming their deals are sort of crappy when new models come out if you want the new models but not sure.

The current Focus has incredible driving dynamics, but tbe new Mazda3 probably wi as well. Very tough choice. I think my friend paid 17k out the door for his 6 speed Focus hatch though. Thats dirt cheap.

The current Focus has incredible driving dynamics, but tbe new Mazda3 probably wi as well. Very tough choice. I think my friend paid 17k out the door for his 6 speed Focus hatch though. Thats dirt cheap.

Hmm, very interesting. I should go to ford and see what sort of deals they're willing to give on pricing. I think they're similar enough where it may just come down to price. There's no big update expected for the 2014 focus right?

ecurbj

Dont even touch a used, out of warranty, late model BMW. It will destroy your bank account.

6 speed Honda Accord v6
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
Trust this guy. Also, good suggestions. Acura TL's are awesome. I got a 99 with 153k on it and I'm thinking about trading it in or upgrading it to a third generation TL before I have to do the timing belt change again.

What bells and whistles will the focus have over the mazda in 2014?
Does anyone know how deals are when new models come out? Are they 10x less likely to cut from MSRP? Do they usually have 0% financing deals or not until after they've been out a while?

Well, by 2014 the Mazda3 will probably be equal with the Focus. The only negative thing by then is the mpg's and their "entertainment" system. If you choose to get the MyFord Touch or whatever BS it's called these days, I can only laugh. It's regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst entertainment system to ever come out for a car. IIRC, a bunch of Ford owners are planning a class action lawsuit against Ford coz it's utter junk.

As for them deals... it pretty much depends on how the dealer does it. There's no mandated deal by the car company to drop the price of the former model. So they could still technically sell a 2013 Mazda3 at it's current MSRP even though the 2014 model is sitting next to it. But they definitely do cut as much as possible... it's just a matter of how much they're willing to cut.

Speaking to my dealership friends, the max they cut is never more than $5k off MSRP unless they really have to sell it. They said to wait until the Thanksgiving/Christmas period... at this point the old models have dropped so much of their value that most dealerships are just ready to get it out of their inventory to bring new ones in.

Lol. Those cars are actually awesome and get a pass.

Lol just yankin' your chain haha.

coldfoot

Banned

6 speed Honda Accord v6
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

Well the GTO is a gas hog, so the OP wouldn't want that, but other than that, good list, except the accord is butt ugly unless you go for the 2013.

Well, by 2014 the Mazda3 will probably be equal with the Focus. The only negative thing by then is the mpg's and their "entertainment" system. If you choose to get the MyFord Touch or whatever BS it's called these days, I can only laugh. It's regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst entertainment system to ever come out for a car. IIRC, a bunch of Ford owners are planning a class action lawsuit against Ford coz it's utter junk.

As for them deals... it pretty much depends on how the dealer does it. There's no mandated deal by the car company to drop the price of the former model. So they could still technically sell a 2013 Mazda3 at it's current MSRP even though the 2014 model is sitting next to it. But they definitely do cut as much as possible... it's just a matter of how much they're willing to cut.

Speaking to my dealership friends, the max they cut is never more than $5k off MSRP unless they really have to sell it. They said to wait until the Thanksgiving/Christmas period... at this point the old models have dropped so much of their value that most dealerships are just ready to get it out of their inventory to bring new ones in.

Lol just yankin' your chain haha.
Yeah, not sure if I can wait until christmas since my car is acting up... I might be able to limp along for a month or two until the 2014 models come out. I hope can get really low financing/somewhat of a deal like now.

6 speed Honda Accord v6
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO

Trust this guy. Also, good suggestions. Acura TL's are awesome. I got a 99 with 153k on it and I'm thinking about trading it in or upgrading it to a third generation TL before I have to do the timing belt change again.

Well the GTO is a gas hog, so the OP wouldn't want that, but other than that, good list, except the accord is butt ugly unless you go for the 2013.

Appreciate the pointers. I don't drive very long distances, so mileage isn't an issue. Should I be worried that the Pontiac line is no more?

Also, I noticed a Hyundai Tiburon in my apartment complex yesterday. Anything wrong with those? Looks like I can get an 07 or 08 in my price range.

Yeah, not sure if I can wait until christmas since my car is acting up... I might be able to limp along for a month or two until the 2014 models come out. I hope can get really low financing/somewhat of a deal like now.

Wait for the end of the month whenever you do decide to buy. Quotas must be met after all.

Have you looked at the Fiesta? The Honda Fit also has stupid good levels of utility. Tons of cargo space, good MPG, etc.

Nothing is going to beat the new Mazda3 in terms of styling in that segment though.

Also, Golf >>>> Jetta.

Mascot

Lovely radial engine gif. Quite hypnotic, don't you think?

Radial_engine.gif

No Love

Banned
Appreciate the pointers. I don't drive very long distances, so mileage isn't an issue. Should I be worried that the Pontiac line is no more?

Also, I noticed a Hyundai Tiburon in my apartment complex yesterday. Anything wrong with those? Looks like I can get an 07 or 08 in my price range.

No. GTO is rock solid. It has a Corvette motor and transmission, after all. Go for 05-06, they have 50 more hp.

Hyundai Tiburons are literally made out of dog shit. Avoid.

Where does GAF come in on the MKVI GTI? Thinking about taking a closer look... But i have hated Jettas my entire life and hear nightmare stories about VWs.

Any opinions? Like 2011 or 2012. Lower miles.

im prefacing this as a total car noob

basically i have to make a decision between a 2013 g37 and a 328i today, went to the dealerships over the weekend and enjoyed both in a test drive. i got an extremely great deal on a 328i fully decked out (cold weather package, premium package, navigation, harmon kardon) with 11k miles on it for 311 a month over 36 months. got a similar offer on the g37 but it's not quite as fully featured.

there anything i should know about these two cars or is it literally a coin flip at this point.

- Maintenance. G37 will probably be lower cost in the long run if you plan on owning for a while.

- AWD. Do either or both come with AWD?

- Fuel economy. G37 is a pig.

basically i have to make a decision between a 2013 g37 and a 328i today, went to the dealerships over the weekend and enjoyed both in a test drive. i got an extremely great deal on a 328i fully decked out (cold weather package, premium package, navigation, harmon kardon) with 11k miles on it for 311 a month over 36 months. got a similar offer on the g37 but it's not quite as fully featured.

there anything i should know about these two cars or is it literally a coin flip at this point.

If it's a coin flip for you. Get the one with more.

Smokey

311 a month on a lease I'm assuming? Fucking hell. Wish I didn't drive so much :l

Both coupes?

Pimpwerx

All things being equal, I'd probably go with the Infinity. Cheaper repair costs. PEACE.

All things being equal, I'd probably go with the Infinity. Cheaper repair costs. PEACE.

true and it's one reason why i'm a little concerned about the bmw though the dealer does offer free servicing during the lease period which the infiniti dealership does not

but aren't the newer 3 series pretty reliable? thought I read that somewhere. reliability is definitely a factor given that i've driven a 2001 es300 since i was 17 (25 now) and it's given me zero problems.

ascii42

true and it's one reason why i'm a little concerned about the bmw though the dealer does offer free servicing during the lease period which the infiniti dealership does not

but aren't the newer 3 series pretty reliable? thought I read that somewhere. reliability is definitely a factor given that i've driven a 2001 es300 since i was 17 (25 now) and it's given me zero problems.

Depending on what exactly the "free servicing" gets you, that's potentially quite a bit of value.

No Love

Banned

3 series E92 is junk in reliability, although the 328i isn't nearly bad as 335i.

Also, the G37 does have crappier gas mileage... but also has about 100 more horsepower than the weaksauce 328i.

i'd go with the G37... more reliable and a lot more fun to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom