• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

true and it's one reason why i'm a little concerned about the bmw though the dealer does offer free servicing during the lease period which the infiniti dealership does not

but aren't the newer 3 series pretty reliable? thought I read that somewhere. reliability is definitely a factor given that i've driven a 2001 es300 since i was 17 (25 now) and it's given me zero problems.

The 328i has been ok from what I understand. It's the 335 that has had the issues when it comes to reliability (although I've only had 1 incident since I've had mine *shrug*).

3 series E92 is junk in reliability, although the 328i isn't nearly bad as 335i.

Also, the G37 does have crappier gas mileage... but also has about 100 more horsepower than the weaksauce 328i.

i'd go with the G37... more reliable and a lot more fun to drive.

is the 328i actually weaksauce though, you're right about the horses of course but i was impressed with how i could stay at really low rpms on the 328i and still get tons of power. with the g37 i had to rev it get the juice, i do love the exhausts sound on the g37 tho.

3 series E92 is junk in reliability, although the 328i isn't nearly bad as 335i.

Also, the G37 does have crappier gas mileage... but also has about 100 more horsepower than the weaksauce 328i.

i'd go with the G37... more reliable and a lot more fun to drive.

well lets hope red blaster isn't too much of a 'car noob' :). Wasn't that big incident in CA where the teens split their car in 2 against a tree driving a g37?

No Love

Banned
is the 328i actually weaksauce though, you're right about the horses of course but i was impressed with how i could stay at really low rpms on the 328i and still get tons of power. with the g37 i had to rev it get the juice, i do love the exhausts sound on the g37 tho.

Yes, it's weak sauce. It and the G37 have similar low end torque, although the 328i probably has tighter gearing down low.

G37's motor is definitely more of a high-revving motor, though. Those HR motors love revs.

well lets hope red blaster isn't too much of a 'car noob' :). Wasn't that big incident in CA where the teens split their car in 2 against a tree driving a g37?

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Giving your teens a car like a G is asking for trouble... 300+ hp RWD? Not a good idea.

Infiniti is definitely much much more reliable than a BMW. Their engine has practically been used the last 10 years or so and the failure rate on them is quite low. Whereas BMW's using a relatively new engine in the 328i... I wouldn't say the BMW engines are bad, but of course it is German, and a BMW no less so there's already a risk involved if you look back at their history.

Anyway, me personally, I'd go for the G37. Been always a fan of Nissan/Infiniti, also the sound of the VQ engines are so unique... I can hear them coming from a mile away.

xnipx

How are you leasing with 11k miles on it? Was it a loaner car? I have a 2013 328 and I like it. No cost maintainence for 4 years means don't worry about people's comments on reliability unless you plan on buying after the lease is up. Great on gas. Navigation and entertainment is way better than Infiniti.

Put it in sport mode when on the highway and you won't miss the extra hp from the G.

How are you leasing with 11k miles on it? Was it a loaner car? I have a 2013 328 and I like it. No cost maintainence for 4 years means don't worry about people's comments on reliability unless you plan on buying after the lease is up. Great on gas. Navigation and entertainment is way better than Infiniti.

Put it in sport mode when on the highway and you won't miss the extra hp from the G.

sort of a loaner, the salesguy said it's a "dealer" car which was used by salespeople to drive to other bmw dealerships.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yes, it's weak sauce. It and the G37 have similar low end torque, although the 328i probably has tighter gearing down low.

G37's motor is definitely more of a high-revving motor, though. Those HR motors love revs.

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Giving your teens a car like a G is asking for trouble... 300+ hp RWD? Not a good idea.

VQ37HR + 6MT FTW. Can't wait to flog my Z again once I'm back home in Florida.

Although the AJIII 5.0 in the Jaaaaaaag sure is doing a damn fine job of tiding me over. Dat torque

coldfoot

Banned
im prefacing this as a total car noob

basically i have to make a decision between a 2013 g37 and a 328i today, went to the dealerships over the weekend and enjoyed both in a test drive. i got an extremely great deal on a 328i fully decked out (cold weather package, premium package, navigation, harmon kardon) with 11k miles on it for 311 a month over 36 months. got a similar offer on the g37 but it's not quite as fully featured.

there anything i should know about these two cars or is it literally a coin flip at this point.

What's the down payment on that?

You're getting ripped off. Especially on a dealer/loaner/demo car. Holy crap, dude...

You can get a loaded G37 for $325-350 with NOTHING down, besides 1st payment, bank and DMV fees.

you live in orlando right? i went to infiniti near millenia and they had no such deal, in fact the shit they have going on their website about 299 a month was total bs and they admitted it was just to get you into the door.

anyway i'm going back to the bmw dealership for another test drive and i'll inquire about some of the stuff you guys have mentioned

AlphaSnake

you live in orlando right? i went to infiniti near millenia and they had no such deal, in fact the shit they have going on their website about 299 a month was total bs and they admitted it was just to get you into the door.

I'm in NY at the moment...but yeah house is in Windermere.

But no, it's not just to get you in the door. Unless they don't have the inventory, you can get a G37 lease for what's advertised - you'll just need to pay a little more monthly, since it's always best to lease with NO actual money down - this is called a sign and drive.

But I do NOT suggest getting a G37 right now. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/infiniti-g37-to-live-on-in-showrooms-alongside-2014-q50/

They are going to drop the price on them huge come August time, as production will continue alongside the Q50. Wait a few weeks, imo.

how does scions weird gimmick pricing thing affect their last years model and used stuff?

If I were to get a fr-s this year, would 2014 model make the most sense for the touchscreen infotainment thing and probably fix some of the little issues with current model for a few grand more? Or get a 13 new or used?

huh they rose college incentives to $750 from $500. Maybe they will reach back to $1000 around winter.

It's most likely going to start at $31K to compete against the BMW 320i, a car Infiniti is squarely aiming at.

I don't know if I see that happening given that the lowest starting price now is 37,350 (MSRP) and a $31,000 base MSRP would be a difference of $6,350.

It's not like they introduce the Q and magically, it's now $6,350 cheaper to produce the G.

There's no change in the price of the raw materials and components, no change in the price of the labor, no change in the price of transportation. Maybe some change in the cost of marketing? Maybe some gains in economies of scale with the G and Q50 sharing some components. But $6,350 worth?

AlphaSnake

I don't know if I see that happening given that the lowest starting price now is 37,350 (MSRP) and a $31,000 base MSRP would be a difference of $6,350.

It's not like they introduce the Q and magically, it's now $6,350 cheaper to produce the G.

There's no change in the price of the raw materials and components, no change in the price of the labor, no change in the price of transportation. Maybe some change in the cost of marketing? Maybe some gains in economies of scale with the G and Q50 sharing some components. But $6,350 worth?

The new Q50 is going to cost $37K, which is $1000 cheaper than a G37's MSRP. The Q50 comes with a shit ton of standard stuff and new tech that makes the G37 ancient in that regard. The G37 is a 7 year old platform...that's 7 year old technology running the car inside and out, with a mass produced motor that many of Nissan's car use, a 7 speed JATCO that is supplied in-house by Nissan, and again extremely mass produced and used for Nissan. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the cost of all that running gear (electrical and mechanical) has gotten significantly cheaper as the years go by for a fairly old car. Of course a $6K+ drop is possible...

A PlayStation 3 once cost $500/600, and years later costs half of that. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but the longer things are in production, the cheaper they are to produce as their componentry ages and becomes outdated.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore has confirmed to Autoblog that a decision is pending on how long to extend the G37 sedan's production run. "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that." Confusingly, Infiniti has already announced that the Q50 is to start at $37,605 (including $905 destination charge), yet the 2013 G37 is more expensive, starting at $38,255 delivered according to Infiniti's consumer website. Thus, a price drop on the G37 is likely coming in short order.

No shit. But that is the general principal of production.

Outdated shit = cheap.

No. Just no. The cost of the steel is the same. The cost of the aluminum is the same. The cost of the leather is the same. The cost of the labor is the same. The cost of the tires are the same. The cost of the glass is the same. The cost of the plastics is the same.

The only costs that could have gone down significantly are maybe some of the electronics. If there were some process improvements over the lifetime of manufacturing, there are some gains to be had there. Some gains from economies of scale.

Just don't see it reaching $31,000 base unless they are downgrading the materials or putting in a smaller, cheaper engine.

AlphaSnake

No. Just no. The cost of the steel is the same. The cost of the aluminum is the same. The cost of the leather is the same. The cost of the labor is the same. The cost of the tires are the same. The cost of the glass is the same. The cost of the plastics is the same.

The only costs that could have gone down significantly are maybe some of the electronics. If there were some process improvements over the lifetime of manufacturing, there are some gains to be had there. Some gains from economies of scale.

Just don't see it reaching $31,000 base unless they are downgrading the materials or putting in a smaller, cheaper engine.

A G25 started at $33K (sold for under 32K at invoice)...but it was still a VQ V6, albeit a 2.5L - although it didn't weigh much less than the 3.7L or even look any smaller. Nothing else was downgraded - the seats were the same, the interior was too, it was still RWD, 7AT, etc.

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm not saying it WILL cost 31K. That just seems to be the goal for Infiniti as stated directly by their spokesman in the article I posted. All I'm saying is that it's entirely and easily feasible.

TylerD

435i w/ M performance kit

dat carbon fiber

dunno how i feel about the back. digging the aggressive look especially against the boring, standard 435i. Although by the time you throw all these options on it...you might as well keep going for a M4.

Holy shit, it has a stripe on the side. That isn't just shadow...

WTF

Autoblog said:
Other visual changes include lightweight 20-inch wheels, a blacked-out grille, and unique M Performance side stripes. No, that's not a shadow you see under the 435i's strong side character line – that's a stripe. Yes, we're serious.

ascii42

Well, there's the cost of R&D. Initially, the some of the car's price has to go into covering that. But eventually that gets paid off, normally.

Wait for the end of the month whenever you do decide to buy. Quotas must be met after all.

Have you looked at the Fiesta? The Honda Fit also has stupid good levels of utility. Tons of cargo space, good MPG, etc.

Nothing is going to beat the new Mazda3 in terms of styling in that segment though.

Also, Golf >>>> Jetta.

Golf is more expensive though. :(

I test drove everything but the focus today since they don't apparently stock them since they don't sell enough manuals so they have to special order it?

Mazda 3 still feels the best and the update for 2014 seems absolutely insane so I'm going to try my best to wait until year's end if I can to buy it for a decent deal.

I test drove everything but the focus today since they don't apparently stock them since they don't sell enough manuals so they have to special order it?

Mazda 3 still feels the best and the update for 2014 seems absolutely insane so I'm going to try my best to wait until year's end if I can to buy it for a decent deal.

i would not recommend a golf (i have a mk6). i have two major technical issues they cant and dont want to resolve and the overall quality doesn't match the price tag.

and stay away from the dual clutch (DSG). after a few years it will start to make loud rattling noises whenever you hit a bump.

Stasis

i would not recommend a golf (i have a mk6). i have two major technical issues they cant and dont want to resolve and the overall quality doesn't match the price tag.

and stay away from the dual clutch (DSG). after a few years it will start to make loud rattling noises whenever you hit a bump.

It will? Assuredly? Cause my nearly 7 year old DSG GTI has never done that. Stay away from one of the best driving experiences you can get in the segment for an auto? Sounds like great advice! Sounds more like you had some issues, got pissed, and decided to make it out to be a horribly common affair for some sort of crusade against them. Not a single person I know with an MK5 or MK6 (and that really is quite a few...) have had any bizarre issues or significant problems with their cars. Overall quality definitely matches the price tag.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that you're lying, but I can find someone who's had a bad experience with every model out there if I want to. It's just the way it is with mass produced items. Doesn't make them unreliable overall. One person is unlucky and has a few issues = shit car, shit brand! Same person has a smooth experience, rather unremarkable = omg I totally recommend it they're SO reliable. And no, I'm not a raging VW fanboi. I have no brand obsession either way.

Yeah I'd wait for the new Mazda 3 and the MK7 Golf. Obviously the Golf will be the pricier of the two so it'll be preference and budget. My gf wants the MK7, but I really wanna go check the Mazda 3 for her as well. I think it looks great. The only issue is that everyone will be buying it here. It will quite literally become the most common car on the road. The previous gen is already hugely common and it's not nearly as nice.

AlphaSnake

The dual-clutch transmission in this Ford Focus rental I have right now is FUCKING HORRIFIC. I feel sorry for whoever bought this car.

And before anyone asks why I have a rental: I'm getting the Jag ready for an 1100 mile trip to its new home in Florida.

Smokey

The dual-clutch transmission in this Ford Focus rental I have right now is FUCKING HORRIFIC. I feel sorry for whoever bought this car.

And before anyone asks why I have a rental: I'm getting the Jag ready for an 1100 mile trip to its new home in Florida.

Completely random, but what's your (or anybody else's) opinion on the lexus isF?

I saw two on my way in today, but I hardly hear anything about it? I did watch a motor trend video on it the other day and dude said it was fun to drive etc

Halvie

Banned
It will? Assuredly? Cause my nearly 7 year old DSG GTI has never done that. Stay away from one of the best driving experiences you can get in the segment for an auto? Sounds like great advice! Sounds more like you had some issues, got pissed, and decided to make it out to be a horribly common affair for some sort of crusade against them. Not a single person I know with an MK5 or MK6 (and that really is quite a few...) have had any bizarre issues or significant problems with their cars. Overall quality definitely matches the price tag.

You aren't on any vw forums very often then are you?

Anything besides the obvious (evo/wrx/5.0/camaro) in the 35-40k range with strong aftermarket support I'm not thinking of?

No Love

Banned
Completely random, but what's your (or anybody else's) opinion on the lexus isF?

I saw two on my way in today, but I hardly hear anything about it? I did watch a motor trend video on it the other day and dude said it was fun to drive etc

2010+ IS-F is awesome. My girlfriend is buying one, really fun car. Basically a Lexus version of the M3 with way more torque, far more reliable and better build quality. Gets like 30 mpg at 65 mph on the freeway. It's as fast as an M3 on track too so the handling is pretty damn sweet.

AlphaSnake

2010+ IS-F is awesome. My girlfriend is buying one, really fun car. Basically a Lexus version of the M3 with way more torque, far more reliable and better build quality. Gets like 30 mpg at 65 mph on the freeway. It's as fast as an M3 on track too so the handling is pretty damn sweet.

Yeah, pretty much this.

The interior bits are fairly outdated though, but if you can live with that - it's a damn great car.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
2014 Mazda3 officially rated at 30/41 mpg, priced from $16,945*

Yeah, game over.

Dumbasses will still buy more Yarises for the same price.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that you're lying, but I can find someone who's had a bad experience with every model out there if I want to. It's just the way it is with mass produced items. Doesn't make them unreliable overall. One person is unlucky and has a few issues = shit car, shit brand! Same person has a smooth experience, rather unremarkable = omg I totally recommend it they're SO reliable. And no, I'm not a raging VW fanboi. I have no brand obsession either way.

Yeah I'd wait for the new Mazda 3 and the MK7 Golf. Obviously the Golf will be the pricier of the two so it'll be preference and budget. My gf wants the MK7, but I really wanna go check the Mazda 3 for her as well. I think it looks great. The only issue is that everyone will be buying it here. It will quite literally become the most common car on the road. The previous gen is already hugely common and it's not nearly as nice.

if you google it youll notice that more than a few people have issues with their DSG.

I hate the steering feel and the brakes.

Yeah, game over.

Dumbasses will still buy more Yarises for the same price.

I can get a base mustang gt with 300HP and correct wheel drive for the same price.

Why would I want this?

No Love

Banned
I hate the steering feel and the brakes.

Steering feel and brakes are fine for a car of this caliber. I really enjoy the comfort of it, too. It's no Evo, but damn if it isn't a nice, subtle, bad-ass daily driver/road trip car that you can beat on through windy roads. :)

Smokey

Yeah, pretty much this.

The interior bits are fairly outdated though, but if you can live with that - it's a damn great car.

Steering feel and brakes are fine for a car of this caliber. I really enjoy the comfort of it, too. It's no Evo, but damn if it isn't a nice, subtle, bad-ass daily driver/road trip car that you can beat on through windy roads. :)

Nice.

I imagine a new model is coming (complete with that predator looking grill) that would take care of that oudated interior look.

No Love

Banned
And is a GT?

Mustang V6 is what, 22k? And gets 30-32 MPG on the highway? It's not like getting 41 MPG vs 30-32 MPG is a huge cost savings, it's actually quite miniscule.

That being said, 2014 Mazda 3 looks incredible, especially in 6 spd.

Nice.

I imagine a new model is coming (complete with that predator looking grill) that would take care of that oudated interior look.

The interior is really, really nice considering you can get these used for $30-40k. Looks better than an M3.

A new model MIGHT be coming out, and they're also hinting at a couple-based IS-F successor. But then again, it'll be $60-70k... you can get 2010 IS-F's NOW for $40-45k in great condition, even with CPO warranty.

think i saw the new is on the road yesterday... That grill... well at least it ain't boring.

Didn't they drop stick shift on the latest IS? Well its not like people bought them.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mustang V6 is what, 22k? And gets 30-32 MPG on the highway? It's not like getting 41 MPG vs 30-32 MPG is a huge cost savings, it's actually quite miniscule.

W9uBf0X.png

??

So, over its ownership, the Mazda3 is $8k cheaper? What an awful comparison, but I needed to put it in numbers to make the point across.

No Love

Banned
W9uBf0X.png

??

So, over its ownership, the Mazda3 is $8k cheaper? What an awful comparison, but I needed to put it in numbers to make the point across.

...So $8k over 5 years is a big deal? The Mustang V6, while not as refined as the Mazda 3, has quite a bit more handling, braking, and straight line power. Is $8k over a 5 year period worth it for about double the horsepower and much better overall performance? Depends on the buyer, I suppose.

Are Mazda 3 buyers even cross-shopping a Mustang V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom