• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

Mustang V6 is what, 22k? And gets 30-32 MPG on the highway? It's not like getting 41 MPG vs 30-32 MPG is a huge cost savings, it's actually quite miniscule.

That depends entirely on how much you drive.

On average, that would be around $350 or so per year, on top of the $5k or so extra spent on the car in the first place

...So $8k over 5 years is a big deal?

For normal people? Yes?

Are Mazda 3 buyers even cross-shopping a Mustang V6?

Probably not, so why are you cross-comparing them?

No Love

Banned

On average, that would be around $350 or so per year, on top of the $5k or so extra spent on the car in the first place

For normal people? Yes?

Probably not, so why are you cross-comparing them?

I was merely commenting on the initial comparison YuriLowell brought up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Look above. $650/yr if you're driving 12k miles. Also, does the Mustang take regular fuel?

Completely random, but what's your (or anybody else's) opinion on the lexus isF?

I saw two on my way in today, but I hardly hear anything about it? I did watch a motor trend video on it the other day and dude said it was fun to drive etc

It's the only decent car in Lexus' lineup but it pretty much still has it's problems.

The most obvious one is the lack of driver feedback. Maybe it's just coz I'm so used to my Miata, but if I'm turning around a corner, I honestly cannot tell you what the car is doing. It's not as bad as a regular IS250/350 but you really gotta focus and figure out what the hell it's doing. Even on something as slow as a 10+ mph turn... I've driven a lot of these from the various model years and even the same car more than twice and I still overestimate turning the wheel that I have to quickly pull it the opposite way to not hit the curb. It's only at that point where I can actively get feedback as I can see the curb coming up and the body roll pulling me the opposite way lol. IMHO, the IS-F is more suited for a drag strip rather than a canyon carver. That lack of feedback really kills my excitement for the car. Hopefully they fix this for the new F's.

There's also supposedly a new model coming out soon. Rumors point to it either based on a FR-S/BRZ/GT-86 or the new Supra that's supposed to be released.

As for the Mazda3, their pricing has always been like that. My bro had a 2010 Mazda3 before his MS3, and he paid about $24k for, it was the Touring line with the old 2.5L MZR engine. He said he could've gotten the Grand Touring trim, but it started at $26k and the interior wasn't even really nice back then so he skipped out on it. His 2013 MS3 was also around $27k minus tax and those other fees. There practically is no gap between the GT trim and the MS3, but ultimately it doesn't really matter as most buyers wouldn't be aiming for the GT Trim.

Just look at the current gen Mazda3's... all the new ones I've seen are the standard Skyactiv models and they rarely stock the old 2.5L version these days as nobody is really interested in them anymore. At that price point, they're probably gonna look at the MS3 or if they don't want a stick, they're gonna for a top of the line Skyactiv model which is definitely cheaper than the 2.5L.

reilo

Honda Civic LX sedan starts at $18k?!

Toyota Corolla starts around the same as the Mazda3, but only gets 34MPG highway.

Seriously, buying anything but the Mazda3 IN THAT SEGMENT, makes you an idiot that loves to waste money on shit.

I can't believe a Yaris is $14k wtf.

reilo

I've had two things gone wrong in my Speed6 in 4 years: broken CV axle joint, and the VVT actuator going out (known problem). Both were fixed under TSB.

They do have a smokey turbo problem, but Mazda's been mostly okay about that. It took them a while to acknowledge it.

Completely random, but what's your (or anybody else's) opinion on the lexus isF?

I saw two on my way in today, but I hardly hear anything about it? I did watch a motor trend video on it the other day and dude said it was fun to drive etc

It has one of the highest insurance rates too.

No Love

Banned
It has one of the highest insurance rates too.

No, it doesn't. Depending on your coverage, age, and record, it's pretty low.

People also think the GTR has one of the highest insurance rates and that it's super expensive to insure... fact is, it doesn't and isn't.

If you want to talk about "expensive" insurance, Evo insurance is much higher than GTR, M3, Z06, IS-F etc.

Ty4on

Only Mazda with spotty reliability is the RX8 (dat rotary) and the Euro turbo diesel.

Shame. Diesels just make too much sense when fuel is expensive, diesel fuel is cheaper and diesels have a higher resale value. Drove a rental Golf TDI and I never did worse than 5l/100km. It's a shame because I really hate the turbo lag in city driving.

I'm just curious when people here have so much knowledge about reliability. I remember reading about RWD Japanese cars in an article when the GT86 was new and it mentioned various common issues except for the Lexus IS200 where they mentioned "none". Is it really that bullet proof?

cube444

Shame. Diesels just make too much sense when fuel is expensive, diesel fuel is cheaper and diesels have a higher resale value. Drove a rental Golf TDI and I never did worse than 5l/100km. It's a shame because I really hate the turbo lag in city driving.

I've got a 335d and city driving is what truly makes the car fun. There are lots of diesels hitting North America in the next year or so. Really excited to see what Audi brings to the table.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'd really like to get a nice diesel for my next car. It's so simple to get more power out of the things.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
think i saw the new is on the road yesterday... That grill... well at least it ain't boring.

Didn't they drop stick shift on the latest IS? Well its not like people bought them.

I saw one too...it's certainly a scary looking thing in black. The ugly stacked headlights aren't as apparent in black and silver, which makes it look more normal. But yeah, man that front end is something else. Hahaha.

TylerD

Chris Harris on the BMW 435i. With absolutely no drifting around Estoril. Prognosis: Ordinary feeling and looking and a bit boring but good performance. The parts seem to be there but the daily driving feel is uninspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rpyMDqKfls

Larry of Ammo NYC and Drive Clean restores a barn find Porsche 912. His videos are so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Mz6YNb4uA

I'm knee deep in paint correction now. Hood, both front fenders, and front bumper done. Getting out a lot of imperfections that I wasn't sure about with just one section pass with my PC 7424 XP and M105 and a orange foam pad. Slow but great combo.

She is going to be so shiny. Mystic blue metallic paint in good shape is very nice.

Chris Harris on the BMW 435i. With absolutely no drifting around Estoril. Prognosis: Ordinary feeling and looking and a bit boring but good performance. The parts seem to be there but the daily driving feel is uninspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rpyMDqKfls

I'm knee deep in paint correction now. Hood, both front fenders, and front bumper done. Getting out a lot of imperfections that I wasn't sure about with just one section pass with my PC 7424 XP and M105 and a orange foam pad. Slow but great combo.

She is going to be so shiny. Mystic blue metallic paint in good shape is very nice.

but all i watch his videos for is the highspeed cam drift shots.

kharma45

I've got a 335d and city driving is what truly makes the car fun. There are lots of diesels hitting North America in the next year or so. Really excited to see what Audi brings to the table.

335d is the dogs balls, my aunt had one and it could fairly shift. I'd imagine Audi will bring the 3.0 TDI to the US at the start, I can't see too many Americans getting a 4 cylinder diesel A6 never mind A4.

cube444

335d is the dogs balls, my aunt had one and it could fairly shift. I'd imagine Audi will bring the 3.0 TDI to the US at the start, I can't see too many Americans getting a 4 cylinder diesel A6 never mind A4.

Yes. Will be interesting to see how the 4 banger 328d will do too.

Mascot

Me too - I fucking love it. Can't fault it, really. The engine is one of the most respected production powerplants on the market.

335d_zpsd8185138.jpg

Yeah, game over.

Dumbasses will still buy more Yarises for the same price.

Nice! Why does the website still tease you though? It says explore like you can start looking at trim packages and it just brings you to the page with the video that's been there for a while. :(

Edit: Also, do all mustangs come with manual or just the GT? I went to test drive the focus and apparently ford doesn't really care about manuals anymore. A mustang as an automatic is lame. :(

No Love

Banned

You only need to do 1-2 passes at most with M105 unless your paint is REALLY fucked up. Also, M105 dries really fast so you need to do it as quickly as possible.

Ty4on

I'd really like to get a nice diesel for my next car. It's so simple to get more power out of the things.

I just hate the lag. It is cool on the open road to feel the torque build, but there are those times when I'm in second and slowly approaching a roundabout... I see a gap! Throttle! Nothing... Nothing... Shit, the gap is gone. Bigger diesels are probably much better than that 1.6, but I just prefer a linear power curve. Would love to try a twin turbo or twin scroll.

For 90% of the driving the engine was really nice though. I know 105hp is pathetic for American standards, but I honsestly don't see why the average driver would need more in a small Golf. Especially with 250nm (184ft/lb) from 1500. Decent torque at low revs which didn't drop off and it didn't make strange diesel noises when accelerating either. Funny gearing being a bluemotion with a five speed. Going from second to third when I floored it and hit the redline at 5k I had to wait for the needle to come back to 3k before dropping the clutch :p

reilo

I got quoted $6000 (SIX-FUCKING-THOUSAND) for a leather reupholstery job.

What the hell.

reilo

Leather ain't cheap, son.

That being said, sounds very much on the high end. You can get a whole mint E30 leather interior for a few hundred bucks.

From R3V:

labor is $425 per seat, including shaping foam etc. vinyl is $80 per seat (BMW leather is $200 per seat). $60 per headrest for vinyl, $90 for leather.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showpost.php?p=3006686&postcount=8

Most expensive is labor. That's a quote from a local shop here in Portland, too.

kharma45

Yes. Will be interesting to see how the 4 banger 328d will do too.

I had no idea what the 328d was so I had to Google it. Looks to be the exact same as the 320d we get here just badged differently. Is having the bigger number really that important in the US?

I just hate the lag. It is cool on the open road to feel the torque build, but there are those times when I'm in second and slowly approaching a roundabout... I see a gap! Throttle! Nothing... Nothing... Shit, the gap is gone. Bigger diesels are probably much better than that 1.6, but I just prefer a linear power curve. Would love to try a twin turbo or twin scroll.

For 90% of the driving the engine was really nice though. I know 105hp is pathetic for American standards, but I honsestly don't see why the average driver would need more in a small Golf. Especially with 250nm (184ft/lb) from 1500. Decent torque at low revs which didn't drop off and it didn't make strange diesel noises when accelerating either. Funny gearing being a bluemotion with a five speed. Going from second to third when I floored it and hit the redline at 5k I had to wait for the needle to come back to 3k before dropping the clutch :p

Then why not just drop it down a gear then and get into the torque band? Drive a diesel like a diesel and they're great. As for the video diesels are all about low end shove, doing 0-60 runs means nothing with them. They're best at what most people do in reality, going from 30-50 and from 50-70 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJ0THP5D5Y

Didn't know the Bluemotion was a 5 speed, presumed it'd be 6 with it being geared towards economy.

cube444

I had no idea what the 328d was so I had to Google it. Looks to be the exact same as the 320d we get here just badged differently. Is having the bigger number really that important in the US?

:lol So true.

We will also be getting the 535d here too which is the 530d for you.

That car will have 255 HP and 413 ft-lb with an 8 speed tranny. Apparently can do 5.4 secs from 0-60 with even better MPG (36.7 city/48 hwy) than the outgoing 335d, even though it's a heavier car as well.

It will also be offered in an Xdrive version too.

Ty4on

Then why not just drop it down a gear then and get into the torque band? Drive a diesel like a diesel and they're great. As for the video diesels are all about low end shove, doing 0-60 runs means nothing with them. They're best at what most people do in reality, going from 30-50 and from 50-70 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuJ0THP5D5Y

I'm in second in that example, gearing into first is a hassle and takes time. I don't need to accelerate quickly, I just need to accelerate right there and then to fill the gap. That Golf wasn't that bad and actually pretty good at low revs down to like 1200 and pulled pretty well from 1500. There are just those times when you floor it in second and have no idea why nothing is happening. For 99% of the time though the engine was great and refused to produce noise or use fuel.

That video was just an example of the sound. I'm so young I've mostly been driving diesels so I know about the torque.

I did build up some hate towards small diesels in a Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi I drive at work which has a lazy electronic throttle, so little power outside the turbo band I have to go down to first up some slopes and I think the heaviest part has to be the flywheel. Needless to say that thing is laggy, but it shakes so much at 1500RPM it also forces me to keep the revs up :p

Edit: The five speed surprised me as well. Around 3000 revs when indicating 160kmh (actual speed was 150kmh), but the wind noise made the engine inaudible.

reilo

E30 guys: Recommended suspension setup?

I'm looking at Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Super Sport springs. Roughly $700. Thoughts?

reilo

Cool, thanks.

Also, what kind of oil goes into the damn engine? Manual says 15w50 or 20w50, but those are all synthetic now, which I believe isn't good for a high mileage car? I can't seem to find a reliable answer anywhere.

No Love

Banned
Cool, thanks.

Also, what kind of oil goes into the damn engine? Manual says 15w50 or 20w50, but those are all synthetic now, which I believe isn't good for a high mileage car? I can't seem to find a reliable answer anywhere.

What kind of climate are you in? 5w-30 or 10w-30 is fine. I ran 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum Ultra in my S50 equipped E30 for 10k miles between changes, oil analysis always came out good. It's like $26 at Walmart for 5 quarts... you'll need 7 (for M5x/S5x series). So buy two, use part of the 2nd one, then you'll have extra left over when you buy another 5 quarts. Not sure how much ETA engine takes but I'm guessing 6-7. Edit: NM, ETA engine only takes 4.5~ quarts. You're good to go.

Don't listen to BMW's bullshit, it's been widely discussed among track guys that their oil recommendations aren't really necessary nor most beneficial. Mostly it's just to make them money, lol. And remember that modern oil runs a LOT better than what they had in the 80's.

kharma45

:lol So true.

We will also be getting the 535d here too which is the 530d for you.

That car will have 255 HP and 413 ft-lb with an 8 speed tranny. Apparently can do 5.4 secs from 0-60 with even better MPG (36.7 city/48 hwy) than the outgoing 335d, even though it's a heavier car as well.

It will also be offered in an Xdrive version too.

So no chance of your VW and Audi cars getting the 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines then? :p

Damn that's crap, like our 535d has 309bhp, pretty huge gulf. There's also the 550d now in mainland Europe too which has 380bhp, seems pretty cool. I'm hoping Audi eventually move that 6 litre diesel from the Q7 into the A6 and A8 to compete.

I'm in second in that example, gearing into first is a hassle and takes time. I don't need to accelerate quickly, I just need to accelerate right there and then to fill the gap. That Golf wasn't that bad and actually pretty good at low revs down to like 1200 and pulled pretty well from 1500. There are just those times when you floor it in second and have no idea why nothing is happening. For 99% of the time though the engine was great and refused to produce noise or use fuel.

That video was just an example of the sound. I'm so young I've mostly been driving diesels so I know about the torque.

I did build up some hate towards small diesels in a Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi I drive at work which has a lazy electronic throttle, so little power outside the turbo band I have to go down to first up some slopes and I think the heaviest part has to be the flywheel. Needless to say that thing is laggy, but it shakes so much at 1500RPM it also forces me to keep the revs up :p

Edit: The five speed surprised me as well. Around 3000 revs when indicating 160kmh (actual speed was 150kmh), but the wind noise made the engine inaudible.

I do remember reading in the reviews that the 1.6 TDI that VW make is a bit gutless at times for whatever reason despite not being overly lacking in power.

reilo

What kind of climate are you in? 5w-30 or 10w-30 is fine. I ran 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum Ultra in my S50 equipped E30 for 10k miles between changes, oil analysis always came out good. It's like $26 at Walmart for 5 quarts... you'll need 7 (for M5x/S5x series). So buy two, use part of the 2nd one, then you'll have extra left over when you buy another 5 quarts. Not sure how much ETA engine takes but I'm guessing 6-7. Edit: NM, ETA engine only takes 4.5~ quarts. You're good to go.

Don't listen to BMW's bullshit, it's been widely discussed among track guys that their oil recommendations aren't really necessary nor most beneficial. Mostly it's just to make them money, lol. And remember that modern oil runs a LOT better than what they had in the 80's.

I'm in Portland, so anywhere from 0F-to-105F lol.

So I'm okay with synthetic oil then?

Also got a quote back for my leather seats:

First, they are the sport seats which means they are made up of many individual pieces. This does make the whole process more tedious. Bottomline, is that typically these seats run $650 to re-upholster in all leather. It is about a 2-3 day process.

It's not $6,000, but it's still a lot.

Fantastic morning here in Texas today. I couldn't resist dropping the top and enjoy a spirited drive.

I totally forgot my tires aren't completely done burning in, around 400 miles so far, so I could feel some slippage going through corners at 2nd gear. Felt pretty good and I'm hoping that tiny slippage will stay once it's done burning in.

Anyway, gas needs to go cheaper. While I do follow the philosophy of smiles per gallon, it's a little tough to fully embrace that when gas is at $3.89 for premium. And yeah I know that's alot cheaper than the rest of the country, but what I can say? Texas y'all. Lol.

Speaking of gas, I've been told that Shell and Chevron's premium is supposedly the best of the best gas you can buy... but at $4.19, is it worth the extra .30 cents than QuikTrip or the other "top-tier" gas stations?

No Love

Banned
Really thinking about, in the next year or so, taking my Evo and stroking it out to 2.3/2.4L, building the trans,

This is a dynograph of the kind of powerband I'd like to make... I'd be happy with 600 whp/550 wtq, 670/600 wtq whp is kind of insane. It must feel mindblowing though.

182873d1327707489-br-lr-2-4l-map-ef4-combo-675-606-v8-4th.jpg

I <3 Evo's. I think a build like that would cost me $10-15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom