• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

No Love

Banned
That isn't leather, is it?

Also, I might be able to get the rears reconditioned, since they're not torn.

No, but these are.

some of my favorite seats

buildeas1280x866115.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAH!

oh, everydaydrivers seem to really dig is350 ranking it as their favorite lux sports sedan.

Seems like a fine car... but yeah that grill... not really screaming 40k out of my bank.

lets make it a lexus, but add some elements of the LFA! And we get the Predator.

Enron

Banned
oh, everydaydrivers seem to really dig is350 ranking it as their favorite lux sports sedan.

Seems like a fine car... but yeah that grill... not really screaming 40k out of my bank.

lets make it a lexus, but add some elements of the LFA! And we get the Predator.

Dude, if you really want an is350, get the previous gen. Do not buy the new fugly $$$$$ one.

I drove one (previous gen). Was ok, enjoyed the g37 more.

how many cars would classify as a sports sedan that aren't luxury? mazda 3/6?

Does evo, wrx count?

Seems like any old sedan these days have some sports trim or what not but that usually just means slightly stiffer suspension.

Enron

Banned
how many cars would classify as a sports sedan that aren't luxury? mazda 3/6?

Does evo, wrx count?

Seems like any old sedan these days have some sports trim or what not but that usually just means slightly stiffer suspension.

It's literally just a "sporty" luxury sedan. Never heard "sport sedan" used to refer to EVO/WRX. Mazda 3/6 do not count.

oh, they killed off altima coupes.

accord coupes are really like the only midsize coupes now eh? I remember when solara was the cool thing...

I guess people would rather get a genesis coupe or mustang or something at that price range...

It is weird for nissan to kill something off though.

No Love

Banned

Lots of reports from people both in the track scene and out of it that track BRZ/FRSes along with daily driven ones are having motor issues among other things. Plus the light condensation issue is pretty big... I see it on them all the time. :\

I'd wait a year or two for them to possibly resolve these early production problems and release better trim models, maybe even TRD/STI versions.

TomServo

Only Mazda with spotty reliability is the RX8 (dat rotary) and the Euro turbo diesel.

The RX8's got a bad rap because of the '04-'05 tune.

Mazda was trying a bit too hard to eek some additional fuel economy out of it, and coupled with the fact that the automatics are limited to 8,000 RPM (as opposed to the 9,000 RPM of the manuals) it lead to some pretty terrible things happening to the engine.

Otherwise they're pretty much trouble free.

Nissan dropping 2014 370z base price to just below $30,000.

Probably means the new Z is on the way, but either way it means that it just became one hell of a bargain.

ameratsu

I am tired of looking for a used car. I should just grit my teeth and buy an frs/brz.

Used car shopping is truly tedious. Where I live it's particularly bad because the demand for decent older Japanese cars outstrips supply, leading to buyers asking more than they could get away with in other markets. When other buyers are lining up to overpay, your leverage as a savvy buyer disappears. Took me 3 months to find the sort of car I was looking for in my price range. Good luck in your search.

ascii42

Used car shopping is truly tedious. Where I live it's particularly bad because the demand for decent older Japanese cars outstrips supply, leading to buyers asking more than they could get away with in other markets. When other buyers are lining up to overpay, your leverage as a savvy buyer disappears. Took me 3 months to find the sort of car I was looking for in my price range. Good luck in your search.
Yeah, I was helping my sister buy a car a few months ago. Her requirements were pretty much "small, and with a manual." I figured the Honda Fit would be a good place to start, but they were asking $10,500 for a 2008 model. So I told her she might as well buy new if those are the sort of used prices we'd be seeing. She wound up getting a new Sonic with the turbo motor for under $15k, I think.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
well its direct competition still start lower no?

The 370Z is a niche car. It's production numbers have always been extremely low. It has no true competitor. It's more powerful and more fully featured than a horde of other cars similar to it, at a price point that's sort of in the middle of nowhere these days.

The Z is the overall package out of the box, with room for additional improvements with aftermarket goodies. Coincidentally, this $3000 price drop shows just how easy it is for a manufacturer to lower the price of a low volume car so late into its life and obviously still be profitable. It goes hand-in-hand with the point I was making days ago.

$3k probably. Each.

Not even close. Recaro PP's in leather go for $1200 each, velour goes for $700. I've got leather ones in my car.

The Recaro's out of the NSX-R are ridiculously price at like $5-6k EACH. Mazda RX-7 Spirit-R seats are up there as well, about $3-4k used for a set.

AlphaSnake

Do you pretty much have to get the sport package on the 370Z? Car looks amazing.

You really should. You get the LSD, lightweight 19" Forged Rays, BBK, and Synchro-Rev Match transmission. If you bought all of that separately (which you can't with the rev-match system), you'd be well over what the option package costs.

A set of forged Rays wheels + tires alone cost over $3000.

So I got my new car the other day. Ford Mustang 3.7 V6 in black. Turns out they had done some aftermarket stuff to it at the dealership. Put 19inch wheels on, performance tuned it, put in an Airaid cold air intake, changed out the grill which removed the pony logo, lowered the body an inch, and put in Eibach performance springs too. Got it at a good price as they were having an invoice sale going on this week and I got a bunch of rebates and incentives along with a college graduation discount trade assistance on my old car.

All in all I fucking love this car, feels so good to be back in a mustang after being away for over 7 years.

W1tMZm3.jpg

So I got my new car the other day. Ford Mustang 3.7 V6 in black. Turns out they had done some aftermarket stuff to it at the dealership. Put 19inch wheels on, performance tuned it, put in an Airaid cold air intake, changed out the grill which removed the pony logo, lowered the body an inch, and put in Eibach performance springs too. Got it at a good price as they were having an invoice sale going on this week and I got a bunch of rebates and incentives along with a college graduation discount trade assistance on my old car.

All in all I fucking love this car, feels so good to be back in a mustang after being away for over 7 years.

W1tMZm3.jpg
Nice!

Looks like the car bad guys drive in need for speed or something lol.

You really should. You get the LSD, lightweight 19" Forged Rays, BBK, and Synchro-Rev Match transmission. If you bought all of that separately (which you can't with the rev-match system), you'd be well over what the option package costs.

A set of forged Rays wheels + tires alone cost over $3000.
Thought so. I heard some complaints about Nissan's LSD that it overheats pretty quickly if you use it and that aftermarket is better but maybe it's not as much of a problem as some forums make it out to be. I always loved the car but the amount of driving I have to do makes it a bummer due to gas mileage. :(

W1tMZm3.jpg

Looks really awesome, only complaint is I don't like the mustang emblem missing in the grill.

AlphaSnake

Thought so. I heard some complaints about Nissan's LSD that it overheats pretty quickly if you use it and that aftermarket is better but maybe it's not as much of a problem as some forums make it out to be. I always loved the car but the amount of driving I have to do makes it a bummer due to gas mileage. :(

Never heard of the LSD overheating. I'm on the Z forums all the time too. If you drive your car aggressively and you track, the only way to destroy your LSD is if you don't change the diff-gear fluid. If you hit the track often, you should change it after every track day. If you drive aggressively in general, you should change it every 7-10K miles. I changed mine at 12K. It's only about 2 quarts and takes 10 minutes to do with a lift.

Early model year 370Zs had problems with hot oil temps, but since then oil-coolers have become a standard option on the cars. That's about it as far as temps go.

All this talk of my car is making me really upset I'm still in NY until I get to go back home and see her. :'(

Great looking car. I'd swap out those ugly looking orange reflectors on the front with smoked or clear ones instead.

I did the exact same to my car

Thanks, they are actually part of the turn signal lighting and not simply reflectors. I already found some online so I'll be getting them in the next few weeks. These smoked ones are probably the ones I'll get and I have to get some new bulbs too for the full cosmetic shift.

http://www.stangmods.com/Smoked-Turn-Signal-Lenses-for-2010-Mustang-p/01069.htm

beast786

W1tMZm3.jpg

Congrats man.

cube444

Thanks, they are actually part of the turn signal lighting and not simply reflectors. I already found some online so I'll be getting them in the next few weeks. These smoked ones are probably the ones I'll get and I have to get some new bulbs too for the full cosmetic shift.

http://www.stangmods.com/Smoked-Turn-Signal-Lenses-for-2010-Mustang-p/01069.htm

Ahhh...I don't know they were tied to your turn signals but I'm really feeling those smoked ones.

Pics after you install them!

I have a question about something the dealer did and then told me when I brought it up with them. So my Mustang came with a 93 Octane performance tune. They filled up my tank before I left the dealership and most likely put in 87 Octane fuel. I asked them when I went back to turn in my previous title and they said that putting in 87 is fine, I'll just get the best performance out of the car if I do 93. I was researching online and everything I read said I HAD to put 93 in or else I would ruin the engine via detonation. So, do I have to put 93 in at every fill-up or could I do every 3rd tank as 93 and in between fill with 91 or 87?

AlphaSnake

Don't be cheap, always fill up 93 ESPECIALLY if you have a tune.

If there's 87 in there now, start mixing it up with 93 immediately.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Putting in a higher octane tune into a lower octane tuned car is a useless. But never put in a lower octane gas for a car tuned for higher octane. Modern cars will go into limp mode and drastically cut performance to preserve the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom