• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if you accidentally stick 87 fuel into a premium fuel car (multiple cars in the house etc), will it putter around fine, or should you... do what?

Modern cars won't let the engine knock, but you'll get reduced performance and probably worse fuel mileage. The best thing to do would be to not run it hard, and top off with 93 every day or every other day depending on how much you drive. You could use an octane booster additive but you might do more harm then good.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
so if you accidentally stick 87 fuel into a premium fuel car (multiple cars in the house etc), will it putter around fine, or should you... do what?

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202103

Here's a Volkswagen 2.5L I5 that made great gains using 91...not even 93. And the gains are peak power gains, you'll notice the area under curve marks big difference in power increase between 87 and 91. This is a motor that runs just fine on 87 and is in fact designed to run with 87. Imagine what 93 octane would produce?

As someone who fills up even his rental cars with 93, and a result see the benefits of increased MPG/range, there is virtually no financial loss with using premium. The car runs quieter, the engine hums smoother, there is more power, and MPG increases.

My mom used to have a 2011 Golf 2.5 and the difference between 87 (dealer filled) and 93 was immensely noticeable. Same goes for every rental car I've had.

Edit: Quoted wrong post. In any case, still applies...top it off with 93 as you drive.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202103

Here's a Volkswagen 2.5L I5 that made great gains using 91...not even 93. And the gains are peak power gains, you'll notice the area under curve marks big difference in power increase between 87 and 91. This is a motor that runs just fine on 87 and is in fact designed to run with 87. Imagine what 93 octane would produce?

As someone who fills up even his rental cars with 93, and a result see the benefits of increased MPG/range, there is virtually no financial loss with using premium. The car runs quieter, the engine hums smoother, there is more power, and MPG increases.

My mom used to have a 2011 Golf 2.5 and the difference between 87 (dealer filled) and 93 was immensely noticeable. Same goes for every rental car I've had.

Edit: Quoted wrong post. In any case, still applies...top it off with 93 as you drive.

what rentals do you usually get?

ooh a fr-s $24k at a dealership around here (been in lot for 3 months). hmmmm.... tempting.

AlphaSnake

what rentals do you usually get?

ooh a fr-s $24k at a dealership around here (been in lot for 3 months). hmmmm.... tempting.

The three I've had were:

2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5
2012 Ford Fusion SEL
2013 Nissan Altima 2.5S

All with about the same power output, naturally aspirated. All that were unbearably unrefined with any throttle input, especially with motor noise. Higher octane changed the feeling of the cars considerably and noticeably.

I've gotten friends of mine to switch to 93 in their cars by telling them I'll give them the extra $3 it takes to fill up just for them to try it. Some of them have turbocharged cars (Juke, GLI, A4) and others have N/A (Sonata, Accord, Altima, Impreza, Edge)...not one of them has ever gone back to regular for the same reasons I mentioned: better fuel economy extending range and notably better acceleration, performance, and quieter operation.

AlphaSnake

k,paypal me 3 bucks if I don't feel any different with premium fuel in my prizm. :D

Hahaha. On a car that old, knock sensors and computers weren't there yet to determine octane ratings. Hell, on a 2001 Maxima if you filled up using 87 the timing would retard significantly. But filling it back up with 93 wasn't the solution...you also had to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for over an hour.

when i finally get around to get a new car, will it feel like owning a jetson mobile?

the altima i rented didn't even have a handbrake... the brake was the pedal thingy that are on minivans o_O

And apparently cars just windshield wipe themselves now, and lights are automatic?

AlphaSnake

Might have been metros then. I just remember one was really cheap in high school but it was because it was like manual everything.

My fiance had a Geo Metro in her family 10 years ago...no power steering, manual everything. Shit was hilarious. It was the worst piece of shit in the world.

ascii42

when i finally get around to get a new car, will it feel like owning a jetson mobile?

the altima i rented didn't even have a handbrake... the brake was the pedal thingy that are on minivans o_O

And apparently cars just windshield wipe themselves now, and lights are automatic?
I have three cars, one from 1976, one from 1989, and one from 2010, and all of them have parking brakes on the floor. Makes sense, as it clears room in the console (well, my Olds is column shifted so it doesn't have a console), and in the event of an emergency, you can activate it while keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

My fiance had a Geo Metro in her family 10 years ago...no power steering, manual everything. Shit was hilarious. It was the worst piece of shit in the world.
At one point my family had three Geo Metros. I drove the convertible version for a while in college. The A/C decided to break, during the summer, in Gainesville, FL. That was lovely.

This is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

006-2014-audi-rs7.jpg

TylerD

Hard not to love the RS7. So freaking gorgeous.

I got my foam gun today. after all this paint correction business is done I'm going to do what I can to not introduce any scratches. All the areas I could use my polisher are done with M105 now. Just hand working some tighter areas. That stuff finishes real nice and works well by hand. Shame about some of the panel edges that are looking really worn and other than the hood and front bumper, there aren't many chips. Whoever painted the hood when it was replaced did a shitty job.

After all this it will be time to repair curb rash and polish my wheels. Never ends, but it is very therapeutic.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Tossing around the idea of getting a new car and want to see if anyone has some suggestions.

This is going to be my DD. I'm not going to track it or autocross because I have a dedicated track car. I envision something RWD that handles well, has good power, and a good interior. I plan on keeping it for a while. I don't like big cars. Must be manual.

Examples:
Porsche Cayman - Too expensive
BMW 4 series - Too expensive when optioned the way I want it
2014 IS 350 - Too expensive when optioned the way I want it
Mustang - Close but not comfortable or refined enough
370Z - Too much of a 'driver's car' for a DD

I think I have it boiled down to the Genesis Coupe. Haven't driven one yet because my schedule has been crap for the last month, but so far it looks promising. I like the exterior and interior styling. Both of the engine options are nice. Based on the reviews it seems plush enough while giving enough feedback while driving. Price is good when optioned. Good warranty.

Anyone have any thoughts about this or suggestions for other cars?

So I had to run my transcripts over to the Ford dealer to get the college grad discount and when I walked out a guy had pulled up in a brand new, white Jaguar F-Series V8 Type S. First one in my town, which has a Lambo and Lotus dealership so higher-end cars are commonplace here. My God, is that a truly beautiful vehicle to see up close and in person.

Tossing around the idea of getting a new car and want to see if anyone has some suggestions.

This is going to be my DD. I'm not going to track it or autocross because I have a dedicated track car. I envision something RWD that handles well, has good power, and a good interior. I plan on keeping it for a while. I don't like big cars. Must be manual.

Examples:

I think I have it boiled down to the Genesis Coupe. Haven't driven one yet because my schedule has been crap for the last month, but so far it looks promising. I like the exterior and interior styling. Both of the engine options are nice. Based on the reviews it seems plush enough while giving enough feedback while driving. Price is good when optioned. Good warranty.

Has to be new?

you say no to 370z... but yes to genesis coupe? o_O

brz/fr-s seems to fit your needs. fun enough at a reasonable price and you can really push it while still be at street legal speeds.

AlphaSnake

I daily my 370Z and it's modded + slammed, and I can't complain at all about the ride - I drove it 1100 miles from NY to Florida in one shot, and didn't need to stop because my body was perfectly comfortable the entire way. Stock 370Zs aren't at all harsh or stiff and make good daily drivers.

bcl0328

Examples:

wait for BMW 2 series?

TransTrender

Gold Member
you say no to 370z... but yes to genesis coupe? o_O

brz/fr-s seems to fit your needs. fun enough at a reasonable price and you can really push it while still be at street legal speeds.
If it matters when I drove the 370 it had the sport package.

Lots of engine, tranny, and road feedback. Long and hard clutch throw. Excellent, excellent car but not comfortable enough for me.

Haven't driven the genesis coupe yet, but I'll report back when I do.

FRS doesn't have enough power on demand and the interior is gross.

I

TransTrender

Gold Member
wait for BMW 2 series?
Considering there is only a 3k price difference from the 135 to the 335, and getting what I want adds a TON of expensive options, many forcing me to get crap I don't want, it will still be too expensive when all is said and done.

Love the styling, but too bad.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Aside from Porsche I am no fan of the Volkswagen auto group. Base engine is terrible so I'd have to get an S3 in order not to be bored.

I see. The audi is heavy for what they are. I'd suggest a WRX or an Evo, but those are probably not going to work for the same reasons as the 370z. If VWs weren't out, I'd suggest the Golf R.

So your range is < 40k then?

I daily my 370Z and it's modded + slammed, and I can't complain at all about the ride - I drove it 1100 miles from NY to Florida in one shot, and didn't need to stop because my body was perfectly comfortable the entire way. Stock 370Zs aren't at all harsh or stiff and make good daily drivers.

I can attest to this. Although the seats were not that comfy on the 09 model.

TylerD

I

I drove a 13 Gen Coupe R-spec and wasn't impressed. Shifter felt sloppy, and buzzed at certain RPM ranges. Interior was not appealing to me. Seemed quick enough, but something about the suspension felt unrefined. Brakes felt real nice but that was really the only thing that stood out to me Didn't feel real solid like my ex roommates 370z.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I see. The audi is heavy for what they are. I'd suggest a WRX or an Evo, but those are probably not going to work for the same reasons as the 370z. If VWs weren't out, I'd suggest the Golf R.

So your range is < 40k then?

Evo is a no go.
In laws have a 13 regular Impreza with leather and I wasn't that impressed. Interior was meh, leather was weak, and the ride was rough.

Yeah about 40k.

AlphaSnake

If it matters when I drove the 370 it had the sport package.

Lots of engine, tranny, and road feedback. Long and hard clutch throw. Excellent, excellent car but not comfortable enough for me.

FRS doesn't have enough power on demand and the interior is gross.

I

Engine and transmission yep, that's the nature of the beast, but the clutch feel and the transmission will ease up as you break the car in. It's refined without being overly refined. It's still a sports car, after all, and not a GT. The Genesis is a GT, my friend just got one: a 2013 2.0T R-Spec. It's smoother and softer than the Z, despite the track-pack offerings, it's a GT car. The 3.8L V6 is even more refined, but it definitely feels lazier than a Z - drivetrain just doesn't hit the mark for me.

Based on your preferences, I'd say you're looking for a bit more luxury than sport.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I drove a 13 Gen Coupe R-spec and wasn't impressed. Shifter felt sloppy, and buzzed at certain RPM ranges. Interior was not appealing to me. Seemed quick enough, but something about the suspension felt unrefined. Brakes felt real nice but that was really the only thing that stood out to me Didn't feel real solid like my ex roommates 370z.

Just came back from driving a 3.8 Track and 2.0T Base. Unfortunately they were both automatic transmissions.

The 3.8 Track was still a bit rougher ride than I wanted. Overall everything else was OK.

The 2.0T base had the normal suspension and it was definitely what I was looking for. I actually liked the sound of the 4 cylinder more than that of the V6.

In both cases the brakes were a bit spongy and the steering was more numb than I would like. The rear trunk is also smaller than expected because they maintain a firewall between the trunk and the rear seats, so the opening when you fold the rears down is pretty small.

The auto trannies weren't that bad. If you drive around in full auto mode it stays pretty conservative and doesn't bring the power that fast. Shifts were decent. When you put it in flappy paddle mode it will wring out to redline and deliver power ASAP. I recall some people online complaining about turbo lag but it was imperceptible. Maybe they were confusing it with the torque management that makes first gear kinda useless when you punch it with traction control on.

Unfortunately, I want the Grand Touring package and that's only available with the auto. How tragic...

N-Bomb

What? Leave that shit on whatever car forums you frequent.

I agree, it's wrong anyways, you need a BMW for the second photo and a miata for the third.

From my experience, all 3 cars in that picture attract more guys than girls lol.

That picture is beyond stupid...

I'm honestly shocked by all the reactions to a picture that shows how men can have satisfying platonic relationships with each other. The person (yes, I know) who reported me to the mod, you're a class act.

Damn. Wonder how long the ban is for. Bad way to go.

Till today. The reason was 'for posting a stupid and possibly homophobic picture' (emphasis mine). One is debatable, and if the other were actually against the rules, 80% of this place's users would be banned.

someone's dumb STi died on the middle of a 3 line highway.

First N-Bomb gets banned, and then his FrankenSTI dies? Rough week!

That's why WRX's and STI's for the last 5-6 years have been blowing up due to ringland issues, right?

Shit happens. No, my car is running just as fine as always. Ring land failures are due partly to the cast pistons they changed to not being as tolerant of people tuning their cars stupidly. Bottom line, like most performance car failures, it's generally user error.

The dual-clutch transmission in this Ford Focus rental I have right now is FUCKING HORRIFIC. I feel sorry for whoever bought this car.

This seems like a common complaint, and I hear that instead of making them better, Ford is just going to drop them.

Are Mazda 3 buyers even cross-shopping a Mustang V6?

No.

how many cars would classify as a sports sedan that aren't luxury? mazda 3/6?

Does evo, wrx count?

Seems like any old sedan these days have some sports trim or what not but that usually just means slightly stiffer suspension.

It used to be that it had to actually have good driving feel and higher performance. I'd say that still applies, but it's muddied by so many familyhaulers just having excessive horsepower these days.

Technically the EVO and WRX would count, but I wouldn't classify them as such.

Lots of reports from people both in the track scene and out of it that track BRZ/FRSes along with daily driven ones are having motor issues among other things. Plus the light condensation issue is pretty big... I see it on them all the time. :\.

I don't think this is 'early production'. The tech in the FA isn't new at all, and it's generally just a refinement of the EJ in some ways. That said, the fact that it's people tracking them says a lot. I wonder what the magnitude of this issue is among daily drivers who don't track or mod. It's a problem is engines die while driving to work, not so much if it dies while pushed hard beyond intended use.

All in all I fucking love this car, feels so good to be back in a mustang after being away for over 7 years.

W1tMZm3.jpg

Congrats, sir! That thing looks mean and in charge.

Parts!

nomnomnomnom

Yes, those are projectors.

What are you planning, here?

I have a question about something the dealer did and then told me when I brought it up with them. So my Mustang came with a 93 Octane performance tune. They filled up my tank before I left the dealership and most likely put in 87 Octane fuel. I asked them when I went back to turn in my previous title and they said that putting in 87 is fine, I'll just get the best performance out of the car if I do 93. I was researching online and everything I read said I HAD to put 93 in or else I would ruin the engine via detonation. So, do I have to put 93 in at every fill-up or could I do every 3rd tank as 93 and in between fill with 91 or 87?

So the DEALER changed the factory tune? And it's still under warranty? I guess people have addressed this already, but that seems really odd. No, if it's actually tuned to 93, you need to put in 93. You can get away with 91 in an emergency, but in that case, don't push the car. Drive it like an old lady who still has her faculties.

OR you can carry a bottle of octane booster around with you in the case you can't find 91. There are a couple that DO work. 'Super 104', STP, 'The Outlaw truck & offroad', and 'The Outlaw Max Performance' (best boost from what I've seen). Avoid the NOS, 'Turbo 108', Prestone, and '104 performance boost'.

Again, I wouldn't use these regularly, but as a bandaid w/ 91, they'll give you some more headroom before possible disaster.

On the other side of things, I come back and half of autogaf is banned. wtf happened? (Also sorry for the long post, but talking shit to someone when they can't respond is pretty low.)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm honestly shocked by all the reactions to a picture that shows how men can have satisfying platonic relationships with each other. The person (yes, I know) who reported me to the mod, you're a class act.

Everyone had the same reaction. Personally I don't approve of reporting people, but we are also very lucky that mods rarely stroll in here anyhow.

Shit happens. No, my car is running just as fine as always. Ring land failures are due partly to the cast pistons they changed to not being as tolerant of people tuning their cars stupidly. Bottom line, like most performance car failures, it's generally user error.

My friend had his fail on his STi just this past week... He has 3,200 miles on the car. Yes, 3-2-0-0.

What are you planning, here?

EVERYTHING. Kidding. Sorta.

In the short-term... I ordered a UUC short shift kit with a DSSR. Going to do suspension (Bilstein Sport + H&R Super Sport springs), all of the parts you see above (plus a crack free dash I have), reupholstering the interior (at least the driver's seat, probably redye the other seats since they're not torn and it's cheaper).

To begin with!

Down the line, the big things will be new carpet/roof liner, getting rid of the diving boards and a new paint job. As far as the engine? Possibly an M52 -- depends how much money I want to invest. Doubt I'll go V8 with a M62, as tempting as that is. I want to shoot for 240HP at the crank in the short-term, then I'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom