• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my new Fiesta ST today. Very nice so far.

JEBqcNWl.jpg

It looks a cracking car, had a Panda 100HP before my current Mitsibushi ASX and it was great fun!

Love the colour you picked

THE:MILKMAN

Grats on the new car :D

Do they all come with the Recaro seats, and are yours blue?

Sorry for the late reply....been for a drive :)

Yes. Half leather/heated and in "smoke" grey in my ST2 and cloth/no heating in the ST1. AFAIK the seats with Spirit Blue are only available in the smoke grey.

you know, i've never ridden or drove a prius before. I know enthusiasts laugh at them, but they seem to sell well enough. Not gonna be your primary drag racing machine, but i assume its good enough for a passenger mover and daily commute?

For people that like cars as appliances, sure.

I couldn't stand the regenerative braking.

Also, funny:
When you take a look at the data, you see that the nearly million Prius fans somehow polled showed an above-average interest in things like yoga, sustainability, Apple and reading The Atlantic. We're as shocked as you are. As for the approximately 200,000 Model S fans? They seemed big on economics, Jim Beam, strip clubs and weed. Additionally, "Environmentalism is not a substantial area of interest... this may indicate that Tesla interest is driven by the technological or aspirational aspects of the brand rather than its environmental benefits."
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/08/02/toyota-prius-tesla-model-s-fans-apparently-like-very-different/

TylerD

So I finished paint correction this morning. Time to back out of the garage and "oh, my car ramps are behind me I should slightly move my wheel to miss ..SCRAAAAAAPE."

Fuck.

Before I knew it I was stuck on the opening of the garage door. I got out to look at the damage and at the angle I was already at I could not move forward or backwards without doing additional damage.

But check out that shine! :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I genuinely think a lot of that will polish out. My dad did that once years ago against our metal sliding gate (the exit is a very narrow alleyway, that requires a sharp turn...the car was a very long Audi A6).

The white scrapes ALL came off and all was a left was a small paint chip that I profusely filled up with touch up.

I may even have pics of the after result...

TylerD

I genuinely think a lot of that will polish out. My dad did that once years ago against our metal sliding gate (the exit is a very narrow alleyway, that requires a sharp turn...the car was a very long Audi A6).

The white scrapes ALL came off and all was a left was a small paint chip that I profusely filled up with touch up.

I may even have pics of the after result...

That is a little bit encouraging but i'm still a bit sick to my stomach. So many hours killing scratches and then I do that to myself.

edit: looks good!

I'll be trying some stuff out, it definitely seems like material is stuck to the paint more than the paint is gone in a lot of areas. There are some deep scratches to the metal though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, no doubt about it the seam by the door is definitely bare metal. I'd say 80% isn't, though. Good luck :(

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
What do you guys think of the Cadillac ATS? A guy at my gym just won't stop talking about the one he just bought.

The reviews are mostly good, so it's understandable that your pal won't stop talking about it. It seems like a legit 3-Series competitor, even more so than the MKII CTS.

cube444

The reviews are mostly good, so it's understandable that your pal won't stop talking about it. It seems like a legit 3-Series competitor, even more so than the MKII CTS.

No doubt. It definitely has some sweet things going for it. He said the engine is designed for modification and can't handle lots of boost.

No Love

Banned
So I finished paint correction this morning. Time to back out of the garage and "oh, my car ramps are behind me I should slightly move my wheel to miss ..SCRAAAAAAPE."

Fuck.

Before I knew it I was stuck on the opening of the garage door. I got out to look at the damage and at the angle I was already at I could not move forward or backwards without doing additional damage.

But check out that shine! :(

Damn man, that's awful. Claybar it and then cut the paint again. Then use touch-up paint and clear over it.

No doubt. It definitely has some sweet things going for it. He said the engine is designed for modification and can't handle lots of boost.

Um, what? It's designed for modification and can't handle lots of boost?

And why would anyone boost an ATS? Just buy a used CTS-V.

Ash_69

What's the best way/product to repair light scratches? I washed my car today and was fucking horrified by the amount of scratches on the door panel...

N-Bomb

Does that mean you're into girls with anorexia or something?

Nah, just fit ones with a bit of a shape to them.

What was the picture of that got N-bomb banned?

I can PM you the link if you want.

Got my new Fiesta ST today. Very nice so far.

JEBqcNWl.jpg

Errbody gotta cop the World Rally Blue ;)

Damn dude, that really sucks. I have a narrow garage too, and I had the same feeling when I scraped my wheel. It DOES look like some will buff out, as Alpha said, but I think some of the metal might be a big pushed in, judging by the gap at the bumper :\

Rough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What's the best way/product to repair light scratches? I washed my car today and was fucking horrified by the amount of scratches on the door panel...

TylerD would know!

Too soon?

Forsete

Autoglym Super Resin polish did wonders for the scratches my dads car got from driving too close to a tree. The branches scratched the hood pretty good but SRP managed to take care of that.

No Love

Banned

Orbital polisher (Porter Cable 7424xp), Meguiars M105 to cut, M205 to polish, wax after that. Google for more info. This will make your car look like it just rolled out of a paintbooth.

Forsete

Bros, can you use these to polish away already applied car wax?

40243_5020.jpg

Cause the one I am using now is a pain to rub away by hand. The pads are made of lambswool. :p
I am using a machine with two oscillating heads, 95mm.

TylerD

Orbital polisher (Porter Cable 7424xp), Meguiars M105 to cut, M205 to polish, wax after that. Google for more info. This will make your car look like it just rolled out of a paintbooth.

I concur.

Most of the paint is coming off but I am going to order a little heavier grade clay bar and do the rest next weekend.

No Love

Banned
Bros, can you use these to polish away already applied car wax?

40243_5020.jpg

Cause the one I am using now is a pain to rub away by hand. The pads are made of lambswool. :p
I am using a machine with two oscillating heads, 95mm.

No. To remove car wax, simply use rubbing alcohol.

I know you did. Unfortunately, your sensibilities are not my, or anyone else's, concern. If something offends you, I invite you to ignore it. Posts scroll fast enough that they're off the current page fairly quickly, these days.

You bet I defend it, because I can't imagine it offending anyone that doesn't... well let's not go into that. :p Alpha had the right reaction, IMO, for someone who didn't appreciate it.

btw, it's neither homophobic, nor sexist. I assume you've heard, in some documents, of 'where the masculine gender is stated, the feminine is implied' etc, and I'm not going to re-draw an amusing image to suit your prejudices or politics. I'd recommend you consider the source and intent of a post before you cry wolf to the authorities... but you obviously misinterpreted those, in this case.

If you want a bland place of nothing but details, I suggest you visit autoblog.

I just missed the post before it was edited, having a real hard time figuring out what you guys are talking about, wouldnt be against the rules if someone PM'd me the link to the image?

Pandemic

G'day, I live in Australia and I'm currently looking for a car. I was originally going to try and get a 2011 Ford Focus, I've sort of lost my interest in the car and now I'm focused on finding a Hyundai i30 Elite model (Hyundai Elantra GT in America), there's a lot of features for a good price, like auto headlights, etc. Does anyone own a Hyundai i30 Elite/Elantra GT and could provide some feedback?

Cheers.

Don't wanna burst your bubble but...

"STI is working on finalizing creation of the special version of BRZ, which would be unveiled in "some time" (secret). Turbocharger is NOT in the concept of this greatly balanced FR sports car, so we would concentrate our developments on suspension, handling, performance improvements and sports styling. The turbocharged version of BRZ will remain only in GT300 Championship."
-Hiroyuki Karamatsu, President of Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI)

More here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43358

No power boost = disappointment.

If they can't even wring out at least 30 hp/30ft-lb for the STI version, I'll pass.

No Love

Banned
Not surprised. FI would greatly upset the balance of the car, cause more warranty headaches, etc. If you want FI, look to the aftermarket. It's better than a factory FI solution anyways... car needs a lot of cooling upgrades for reliable boost.

Didn't toyota also announce or some rumors of them canning beefed up 86 and the convertible too?

Sounds like too much of a hassle for a super small niche.

Pein

Banned
Alright, I have 30k saved for a car, I want something badass. I was thing evo or 370z, g37 would be alright too but it might be to similar to the g35 I'm coming from. I also like the is350, I love my is300 and I'm about to sell it, so it might be nice to continue in that direction.

Space is of no concern to me, I'm 22 and have no obligations so thats why the 370z is in the running.

Alright, I have 30k saved for a car, I want something badass. I was thing evo or 370z, g37 would be alright too but it might be to similar to the g35 I'm coming from. I also like the is350, I love my is300 and I'm about to sell it, so it might be nice to continue in that direction.

Space is of no concern to me, I'm 22 and have no obligations so thats why the 370z is in the running.

g35 and is300 at 22? I feel like i've been wasting my life away :(

370z from g35 would be kinda a backstep no? :D

C6Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom