• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HMmm.

Not sure about the STI Brz.

If it's just a stiffer suspension and a stupid wing I think I would prefer the reg version.

I still have not been able to test drive one anyway. Ridiculous.

probably easier to just find a fr-s to test drive, nearly the same thing and you probably couldn't tell the difference on the street. It seems like all the sti stuff is gonna be jp only anyhow.

I really don't understand the mentality of taking your new $80k car to some redneck to make it "faster". Esp, a GTR... wtf is some yokel going to do that Nisimo hasn't thought of?

Oh I will just duct tape this bigger turbo on here jim bob, 8 sec car!

Doesn't the GTR have a pretty insane maintenance schedule from nissan? Don't get the fools that try and mess with this car.

its weird, i recall xtreme race cars having a pretty good reputation in the past. different owners and what not?

ku-bigpic.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/owner-says-18k-engine-build-ruined-nissan-gt-r-with-tw-1029580432

Holy crap! Seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?! And people SERIOUSLY need to send their cars to reputable big shop. Spend the added cash up front, and get it built proper.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I checked out the new Infinit Q50 the other day...holy fuck it is gorgeous in person. The interior is beautiful as well.

Right now is not the right time to get the car though, because in 2 years there will be a twin turbo 3.0L V6 powering this car co-developed by Mercedes. It's also one of the reasons why the entire brand of cars has been renamed, as displacements will be lowered.

TylerD

Just got back from a job interview in Lubbock, TX and expect to receive an offer in a couple of days. 75 mph posted speed limit from the Oklahoma boarder on flat, straight, really solid and smooth surfaces. Texas roads shit on Oklahoma's. Should be at least 85-90. :D

Got 30 mpg going out and 33.9 mpg coming back.

Just got back from a job interview in Lubbock, TX and expect to receive an offer in a couple of days. 75 mph posted speed limit from the Oklahoma boarder on flat, straight, really solid and smooth surfaces. Texas roads shit on Oklahoma's. Should be at least 85-90. :D

Got 30 mpg going out and 33.9 mpg coming back.

As a Texan, that job better be worth it haha. Been to the LB a couple of times, Texas Tech's campus specifically, worst thing I remember is the smell of cow shit in the air and of course the best thing is the women walking around campus. Tech is probably one of the best universities to be at if you're after legitimate southern country girls lol. Anyway, LB is a good town, it's just way out in the boonies for me.

Also yeah, the well maintained roads are one of the state's best features. It's why the TX Dept of Transportation is asking for $4 Billion dollars just to maintain the current roads... we take our roads here seriously that Rick Perry had to call a 3rd special session for the Legislature, and yes that was simply for TxDOT's funding lol.

TylerD

As a Texan, that job better be worth it haha. Been to the LB a couple of times, Texas Tech's campus specifically, worst thing I remember is the smell of cow shit in the air and of course the best thing is the women walking around campus. Tech is probably one of the best universities to be at if you're after legitimate southern country girls lol. Anyway, LB is a good town, it's just way out in the boonies for me.

Also yeah, the well maintained roads are one of the state's best features. It's why the TX Dept of Transportation is asking for $4 Billion dollars just to maintain the current roads... we take our roads here seriously that Rick Perry had to call a 3rd special session for the Legislature, and yes that was simply for TxDOT's funding lol.

I believe it. Even the county roads are in good shape.

If they offer what I am asking, looking at a 30% increase in salary with an opportunity to continue to use the banking software knowledge I have and currently support and also build my system admin and networking knowledge with hands on experience without having to pay for any training/classes. Great opportunity no matter where it is IMO.

I didn't see anything about Lubbock that prevents me from wanting to live there and yes, finding a southern country girl doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. :)

Also, I'll be able to pay off my student loans quickly, buy a place, and get a project car (e30 maybe?) or pick up a cheap DD and start modding my 330.

Enron

Banned

I am a native Texan who misses his home state terribly, but you cannot pay me enough money to move to Lubbock.

If they offer what I am asking, looking at a 30% increase in salary with an opportunity to continue to use the banking software knowledge I have and currently support and also build my system admin and networking knowledge with hands on experience without having to pay for any training/classes. Great opportunity no matter where it is IMO.

I didn't see anything about Lubbock that prevents me from wanting to live there and yes, finding a southern country girl doesn't sound like a bad thing at all. :)

Also, I'll be able to pay off my student loans quickly, buy a place, and get a project car (e30 maybe?) or pick up a cheap DD and start modding my 330.

That sounds like a nice gig, I'd definitely take it if I was in your position.

If things work out, take a trip down to Dallas. There's an amazing car scene here as long as you avoid the "JDM tyte bro" crowd lol.

I am a native Texan who misses his home state terribly, but you cannot pay me enough money to move to Lubbock.

Bahahaha. My radio professor told my class this last sem: "If you have no choice, just take that gig in Lubbock, spend 3 years max to build up your resume then immediately get the hell out of there." What's funny is that he's a Tech alum lol.

Pein

Banned
I have a 2010 with Touring + Sport + Navi. Try to find one with Navi if you can, you'll enjoy it a lot more. It also has a great iPod interface. Here's two older pics of my car:

The headlights were baked open and the chrome was sanded down, and painted black.

did you used to have a 350z?

AlphaSnake

So will you continue to be part of YNB-GAF? Or will you trade in your laces for a Dallas Cubes jersey?

I have a 370Z. It is badass. A number of us here have one, actually. Mine is a bit modded, but it gets compliments every single time I drive it. It's fairly light, well balanced, the torque band is nice and flat, torque comes in fairly early for a high-revving V6 too, there are tons of aftermarket options on the car (a tune reeeallly wakes it up), the high-end power is very welcoming. It's extremely fun as hell to drive, even in automatic (mine is a 6MT though).

A spec'd interior is a pleasure to be in with nice materials that a C6 Corvette, Evo, or any other car that's been suggested cannot compare to. The interiors of the 370Z and G37 are very very similar, but the 370Z ditches the polished faux aluminum trim and the analog clock (the screen, navi, and all software is identical otherwise).

I averaged 28MPG on a 1100 mile drive to my new home in Florida - with over 120lbs of stuff in the rear. And contrary what someone said, no a Corvette does not get better fuel efficiency than a Z. The ratings are 17/21 for a 6MT Vette. And 18/26 for a 6MT 370Z. A considerable difference on the highway. I don't even think the two cars should be compared - they have way too many differences, they're not direct competitors.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again: as far as sports cars, for the price, the 370Z offers a bit of everything someone would want, without any excess. It's the all-arounder capable of performing multiple tasks with room from the factor to excel with just a few upgrades.

Though I will say that with the OEM BBK and Nismo pads, the braking is sensational - I recall seeing a test that ranged from 99-100ft with the optional pads. That's supercar stuff, quite frankly. But the pads are pricey and they dust to no end (my car has them), and they are meant for track duty to avoid fade (see Motor Trend's 370Z Nismo crash).

As many others have in the past...feel free to PM me if you decide on a Z. I've helped probably 5 other GAFers from around the world find the right Z for them via PMs.

I wouldn't recommend a C6 unless its a Z06. At that point, if laptimes are your thing, a Z06 kicks the crap out 370z's, M3's, Porsches etc..

A standard C6 is quite meh.....

I really want to learn about racing on track. I feel like such a noob.

I have been using this website
http://www.drivingfast.net/

hopefully will take to track my summer next year.

Stop reading and start going. It's nothing like the books. Sign up for track schools first. As you get faster, you can run solo.

You have a GTR ffs man. You barely have to do anything to go fast in it!

Slam on the brakes,turn in hard and slam on the gas. It'll do the rest....

No Love

Banned
Stop reading and start going. It's nothing like the books. Sign up for track schools first. As you get faster, you can run solo.

You have a GTR ffs man. You barely have to do anything to go fast in it!

Slam on the brakes,turn in hard and slam on the gas. It'll do the rest....

Um no. The GTR is a very challenging car to drive at the limits because the limits are extremely high. IF you're not careful you can very easily become overconfident and jump right into driving at 10/10ths from 6-7/10ths, wayyy above your skill elvel. Despite its incredible computer systems, it can't overcome physics.

Until you drive one on track, you are just parroting what you've read on the internet. Go drive one on track in R mode with traction control off...

Um no. The GTR is a very challenging car to drive at the limits because the limits are extremely high. IF you're not careful you can very easily become overconfident and jump right into driving at 10/10ths from 6-7/10ths, wayyy above your skill elvel. Despite its incredible computer systems, it can't overcome physics.

Until you drive one on track, you are just parroting what you've read on the internet. Go drive one on track in R mode with traction control off...

There are hypotheticals and there is real life. Its not a realistic scenario that someone who's never done track days is going to go out there for their first time, turn off all electronic assistance and try to go 10/10.

He'll be fine.

ruxtpin

Banned
370Z owner here. 2012 manual in gun metal.

First mod is going to be a clear-bra because of pitting, and then maybe an obnoxiously loud exhaust - this monster

I've gotta' agree with Alpha. The Z is a great car. Granted, there's stuff out there that's faster - but I think the Z has good power that's actually usable on the road. Mine isn't the quietest, since it's the base model with a sport package installed (no sound deadening - but I can hear the engine a lot better anyway). And the 19 inch wheels that come with the sport package are fantastic looking!

AlphaSnake

I remember you from another forum, I think it was blue.

That's correct it was Daytona Blue. I'm pretty sure you remember it from the other auto threads we had here. I don't use AlphaSnake anywhere else, until I recently changed my forum name on the 370Z forum to AlphaSnacks.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I checked out the new Infinit Q50 the other day...holy fuck it is gorgeous in person. The interior is beautiful as well.
Yeah, they look nice. They're awfully proud of 'em though. Once you get one loaded up with leather and all the other wiz-bang stuff you expect in a luxury car... you're looking at $50k for the premium models. I realize that's negotable (we can even get them at the Nissan employee price due to company partnerships), but $50k buys a lot of cars.

I just cant see buying a new luxury car.

The depreciation is just way too large.

Speaking of large depreciation, I might pickup an 07 XK8 for around 25k. Just insane how much they depreciate.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, they look nice. They're awfully proud of 'em though. Once you get one loaded up with leather and all the other wiz-bang stuff you expect in a luxury car... you're looking at $50k for the premium models. I realize that's negotable (we can even get them at the Nissan employee price due to company partnerships), but $50k buys a lot of cars.

It's the same as a 335i or C350.

That's just the market these days.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It's the same as a 335i or C350.

That's just the market these days.

Oh, yeah, I know. Or Volvo S60s. Or IS350s. Hell, even with more mainstream models... they want $30k for loaded Accords and Camrys and $40k for loaded Avalons. I realize that I'm looking at the loaded prices, but I remember when $30~35k was insane and now maybe you can get pleather.

AlphaSnake

Oh, yeah, I know. Or Volvo S60s. Or IS350s. Hell, even with more mainstream models... they want $30k for loaded Accords and Camrys and $40k for loaded Avalons. I realize that I'm looking at the loaded prices, but I remember when $30~35k was insane and now maybe you can get pleather.

Yep. I'm astounded than an Altima, Accord, and Camry go for over $30K...with 4-cylinder engines. :|

Lizardus

So how much do Lambos depreciate? I think the Aventador is the best car they've made so far and wouldn't mind owning one 10 or 15 years down the line.
pipe dream

So how much do Lambos depreciate? I think the Aventador is the best car they've made so far and wouldn't mind owning one 10 or 15 years down the line.
pipe dream
But could you afford the maintenance? ;) $12k+ clutch, $20k brakes, $2k for an oil change not to mention the insurance!

Reven

pipe dream

I have seen Gallardo's from around 2006 go for anywhere from $60-75k with less than 90k miles.

I have no idea what they stickered for though.

Lizardus

But could you afford the maintenance? ;) $12k+ clutch, $20k brakes, $2k for an oil change not to mention the insurance!

Yeah, easily

I have seen Gallardo's from around 2006 go for anywhere from $60-75k with less than 90k miles.

I have no idea what they stickered for though.

That's not too bad.

In other supercar news, anyone excited about the 2015 NSX? It's one of my favourite cars and I would shit my pants if they repackaged the 90's style exterior with modern interior. I think it has a unique look. The new one looks kind of generic.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
In other supercar news, anyone excited about the 2015 NSX? It's one of my favourite cars and I would shit my pants if they repackaged the 90's style exterior with modern interior. I think it has a unique look. The new one looks kind of generic.

From Acura? Post-2010? lol no.

N-Bomb

Got honked and passed by an old lady in a smart car. I really should replace my prizm. hurry up contract to perm conversion process!

Duuuuude.

It won't happen. As much as I like those designs, shit's cray now. Everyone has artists on staff instead of designers now, and it's coming out in all the froofiness and ugg in the past 10 years or so. Not to mention BS safety regs, etc. You'll get something that looks more like an R8 crossed w/ a TSX than an original NSX. :\

Original NSX will never happen again.
Shit will be loaded down with all kinds of stupid electronic gizmos that take away from the driving feel.

Smokey

Goddamn car keeps throwing engine malfunction messages on my screen. Take it into bmw yesterday and got an email update kind of indicating that they haven't found anything so far. It's happened to me multiple times in the past few weeks where I'll be driving and the message will flash on the screen. The car is still driveable but in a 'low power' state. Couldn't this potentially be a HPFP issue? Gonna be sort of irritated if they don't find anything..

AlphaSnake

HAH!

45-year-old engineer comes forward as Minn. winner of Powerball lottery
CBS News - ‎3 hours ago‎

-Updated at 4:31 p.m. ET. MINNEAPOLIS Project engineer Paul White said one of the first things he's going to buy with his winning Powerball lottery ticket is the Acura NSX car he's been eyeing on Craigslist for a couple of months, on sale for $30,000.

paskowitz

Original NSX will never happen again.
Shit will be loaded down with all kinds of stupid electronic gizmos that take away from the driving feel.

I actually talked to the chief design and chief engineer of the new NSX at the NY auto and yeah, it is basically completely leaving the old car behind. The engineering is impressive but the car far far more complex than the old one. The whole strategy is promote Acura's new hybrid AWD system for the RLX and eventually TL and other models.

I have a question about auto loans. I am going to speak to someone at my bank on Monday, but I just want to go in informed. Are car loans usually fixed term with total interest pre-calculated or are there benefits to making extra payments? i.e., if I make an extra payment with one of the regular payments, is that subtracted from the principal and are the rest of the installments recalculated to give me that small discount on the interest?

AlphaSnake

I have a question about auto loans. I am going to speak to someone at my bank on Monday, but I just want to go in informed. Are car loans usually fixed term with total interest pre-calculated or are there benefits to making extra payments? i.e., if I make an extra payment with one of the regular payments, is that subtracted from the principal and are the rest of the installments recalculated to give me that small discount on the interest?

It is not subtracted from the principal. Your interest is locked and you will have to pay it no matter what - you are financing the full amount including interest. You cannot defer on interest on almost any auto loan.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

It's at a fixed interest. I just picked up a new car and pay $118 bi weekly though I've paid $2000 towards the principal already. It's 22% mine already lol. I hate interest and want to pay the full loan as fast as possible.

Check your local credit unions as they might have a better interest rate. My credit union was 4.99% compared to the dealers 6.50% or or banks at 5.99%.

BTW when making extra payments towards the principal contact your lender and specifically state that you want to make a payment towards the principal and not prepay the next x number of payments. Had a few friends say they paid off this or that but then it wasn't towards the principal so accumulated interest was the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom