• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcl0328

Base e46 with no options was around 3,285. M3 was 3,415. M4 will be a beast if it has around 450hp

it's got 100 more ft-lbs. torque than the e92.

Think I'm going to start saving for this pretty soon. Jump in on the 2nd year it's available... 2016ish?

i'm saving for it now. the concept pics were ok, but after seeing it for real i am impressed. i hope i can trade my car in for at least 30k in a year.

here is a few more colors photoshopped.

TylerD

All fixed up and curb rash eradicated. I will try not to use any more garage openings as backing guides in the future.

iPVsjyvV5fTIv.jpg

i29UlqeBO6uhx.jpg

ib1DpbZGwYsJsV.jpg

TCRS

Banned
Never understood this, why would you go to the cramped streets of London to drive your Super and Hypercars? It can't be too thrilling to have to stop for a light after you accelerate for about 2 seconds.

to show off I guess. did you see the velvet skinned Ferrari lol? all those cars are parked next to Harrods, the worlds most expensive flat is also nearby. it's a super rich area.

edit: well I forgot to mention that most of those Lambos and Rolls Royces belong to super rich arabs who come to London every summer to get away from the heat. And with them they bring their crazy cars, it's been quite the spectacle in London for a couple of years now. Look at this for example:

lamborghini-tron-2-590x394.jpg

No Love

Banned
Base e46 with no options was around 3,285. M3 was 3,415. M4 will be a beast if it has around 450hp

Wow. New M4 really is going to be a fucking monster. 335i is 3600+ lbs. How did they get this thing so light!?

Never thought I'd say this but... is BMW finally done fucking around? I never ever expected the M4 to be so light. Could this be the first new BMW I buy...?

No Love

Banned
Also, on my way home today, a brand new M5 going the opposite way with a modded exhaust went WOT past me. Sounded insane. My GF said it sounded like a lion roaring LOL. Can't wait to catch him driving the same street as me one day, line up with 'em, and pull a few buses on that smug BMW douche. ;)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wow. New M4 really is going to be a fucking monster. 335i is 3600+ lbs. How did they get this thing so light!?

Never thought I'd say this but... is BMW finally done fucking around? I never ever expected the M4 to be so light. Could this be the first new BMW I buy...?

Probably extensive use of carbon fiber and titanium. For example, the SLS AMG Black Series is 150lbs lighter than the regular version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UkjqQ1rXpRs&t=102

Just to get an idea, switching to a lithium-ion battery saved Mercedes 17lbs.

No Love

Banned

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
True that. I wonder if they went with a carbon fiber/aluminum frame like Z06 vs base model Vette. Z06 is like 150 lbs lighter than a base model Vette.

Still... I figured at BEST the new M4/M3 would be 3600 lbs. 3289 is a real shocker.

Are you sure the 435i is 3600lbs? The outgoing 335i coupe is 3560 for the manual. I'd imagine the new one will come in around 3400-3500. The new 328i Sedan is 3460. 3289 doesn't seem that much of a shocker.

No Love

Banned
Are you sure the 435i is 3600lbs? The outgoing 335i coupe is 3560 for the manual. I'd imagine the new one will come in around 3400-3500. The new 328i Sedan is 3460. 3289 doesn't seem that much of a shocker.

On average 335i's are 3600+ lbs, yeah. And like you said, 3500-3550 with a manual transmission, which is not a common transmission choice.

And the E92 M3 is 3700-3800 lbs. So M4 being 3300 or under is quite the shocker. I remember most people expecting M4/M3 F3x to come in at 3600 or above, or even heavier than the last M3. Remember that the new M5 gained 200 lbs or so over the E60.

It's too bad BMW didn't work so hard to reduce weight on the 1M. Maybe a 2nd gen 1M could come in around 3000~ lbs?

TylerD

The weather in OKC is amazing right now and this summer has been one of the mildest I can remember.

Great time for a drive.

ildkCcln9O8zR.jpg

TylerD

How did you fix it? Body shop?

A police officer that moonlights as a paint/body guy and calls himself "The Auto Wizard". He has a paint booth in his garage and fixed my peeling paint on the hood and nasty key scratch on the drivers side when I first got it.

He does great work and was recommended by many on different forums when I was doing research. This job was $500 for pulling the dent, respraying the area, fixing the areas where paint was removed by the door and on the rear wheel arch. He resprayed the molding and attached it with double sided adhesive with my permission. He also took care of the curb rash from the POs on the passenger side wheels and he delivered the car 30 miles to me when I couldn't arrange a ride to pick it up this afternoon.

edit: I also had him fix a small dent on the passenger door where paint was cracked.

No Love

Banned
I have a feeling that the new M4 will be around 420 HP. What seems to be the general consensus?

450 to 500 hp. No way that BMW gives it a crank rating similar to the E92 M3. Nice thing is, with a chip you'll pick up 60-200 hp depending on if you run e85 or not. The new m5, m4, and m3 will be ridiculously tunable. Espdcially dat M5... I'd love to get one of those and convert it to e85. 650-700 whp, yes please! But then again there's always the superior CTSV...

Halvie

Banned

Smokey

you know, i really love white, but i'm started to think red looks a lot nicer.

I had red, black, or the silver (the 2nd pic I posted) in mind for my next car anyway (had the m3/m4 in mind for awhile) Contrasted with the black kidney grills, rims etc I think its looks sweet. That red looks great on it.

bcl0328

I had red, black, or the silver (the 2nd pic I posted) in mind for my next car anyway (had the m3/m4 in mind for awhile) Contrasted with the black kidney grills, rims etc I think its looks sweet. That red looks great on it.

these look sick, with different wheels:

attachment.php

attachment.php

also, they said green will be a standard color. not sure what shade. if it's like java green, i'm all over that.

Excuse the Instagram filter of this but:

ccb77a94079411e3917a22000a9f1587_7.jpg

Tag on the door says it's from 1987, 5 speed manual, and 54k miles.

And yes, it's that clean and well kept.

I don't usually post cars I see at my workplace, but I thought y'all would get a kick out of this.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Where are you guys getting these M4 weights from? I havemt seen anything like that.

Smokey

Where are you guys getting these M4 weights from? I havemt seen anything like that.

I haven't seen any hard numbers either. In a lot of the interviews with BMW regarding the M4, they've been consistently harping on the weight and wanting to keep it as low as they can.

Smokey

Put my name down for a Porsche GT3. Wait lit seems to be about a year. By that time, hopefully the C7Z is announced also and I can make my selection.

Why not a 911 Turbo? The 911 would seem to be the best of both worlds: track and a daily driver. GT3 seems to lean more towards the former? Which is totally fine if that's what you want, just curious.

Why not a 911 Turbo? The 911 would seem to be the best of both worlds: track and a daily driver. GT3 seems to lean more towards the former? Which is totally fine if that's what you want, just curious.

I just want it for track and occasional weekend outing. Similar to what I do with my c6z. All cars are the same when commuting and stuck behind a Prius going 15mph :(

The GT3 is rwd whereas the turbo is awd and will likely be 300+ lbs heavier.

N-Bomb

I was going to complain about the BMW, but meh. I gotta get to work on my car! The summer is almost over! Need to rent a lift... :\

N-Bomb

The Maximas - no.

purple Civic - paint is going to hell.

Accord - wtf happened to this car? Did someone with a baseball bat get angry at it?

Red civic - not seller's car, steelies in the summer? Parked in a ghetto, not enough pictures.

Dude, what are you thinking? All of these are horrible ideas, and the Accord is probably the best of them. :\

Consider looking at cars in the $1800-2100 range AT LEAST. You'll be able to haggle them down some, for sure, and you can sweeten that deal by offering to pay cash.

Mr.Fresh

Sorry this is my first time doing anything of this kind and I don't really have help. But ok I'll save up a few more dollars and see what I can find thanks for all the info and if you have any more tips I would be glad to hear them.

N-Bomb

Sorry this is my first time doing anything of this kind and I don't really have help. But ok I'll save up a few more dollars and see what I can find thanks for all the info and if you have any more tips I would be glad to hear them.

No worries. Look for obvious damage, for one. Peeling paint can mean a bad respray (meaning possible accident damage), body damage can mean anything...

Just protect yourself. Always get as much info as you can about these things. Don't settle for their word on things that you can check yourself.

-Check the oil
-Check the coolant and make sure the only colour you see is neon green (or pink, or orange, whichever colour it is), and no dark splotches.
-Make sure not too much smoke coming out of the back.
-Make sure all the lights (headlights, brake lights, turn sigs, etc...) work, the horns, anything electrical.
-Test drive it, make sure it stops well, no weird noises.

If there are mismatched parts, or car doesn't match pics, probably should walk.

And I'm not saying you need to save up some more, just to look a bit higher in price - you should be able to haggle them down into your price range. I'm sure others can perk in with some tips too. Consider something like Carfax or a similar history report if it looks too good to be true!

Good luck.

No Love

Banned
No worries. Look for obvious damage, for one. Peeling paint can mean a bad respray (meaning possible accident damage), body damage can mean anything...

Just protect yourself. Always get as much info as you can about these things. Don't settle for their word on things that you can check yourself.

-Check the oil
-Check the coolant and make sure the only colour you see is neon green (or pink, or orange, whichever colour it is), and no dark splotches.
-Make sure not too much smoke coming out of the back.
-Make sure all the lights (headlights, brake lights, turn sigs, etc...) work, the horns, anything electrical.
-Test drive it, make sure it stops well, no weird noises.

If there are mismatched parts, or car doesn't match pics, probably should walk.

And I'm not saying you need to save up some more, just to look a bit higher in price - you should be able to haggle them down into your price range. I'm sure others can perk in with some tips too. Consider something like Carfax or a similar history report if it looks too good to be true!

Good luck.

I think most of all, he needs someone EXPERIENCED or professional to go look at cars with him and tell him if something is wrong.

TylerD

I think most of all, he needs someone EXPERIENCED or professional to go look at cars with him and tell him if something is wrong.

If this isn't possible, there are many online resources where you can learn how to assess a vehicle. Don't be afraid to write down questions to ask a seller or make notes for you to reference when you are looking over the car. If you get serious about purchasing a car, make it contingent on a prepurchase inspection. A little extra money when you are making your decision can save you a ton in the long run.

Here is a good guide for buying a used car that I have watched in the past, from Eric the Car Guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tvgaix4jZ0

He also has a very informative car part overview video.

AlphaSnake

DMVs in Florida are pretty straightforward.

Just got the Jag plated and registered. Tomorrow the Z.

It costs a lot to register the cars ($200 for the Jag, less for the Z), but there are no state inspection checks. :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, confession time, I don't know how to drive stick. I may have mentioned this in the thread previously.

Are there any YouTube videos or books I can consume to fix this? My next car may be a Fiat 500 Abarth, and that's stick only.

No Love

Banned
So, confession time, I don't know how to drive stick. I may have mentioned this in the thread previously.

Are there any YouTube videos or books I can consume to fix this? My next car may be a Fiat 500 Abarth, and that's stick only.

Seat time is the only way to fix it. And the few couple weeks will be rough. And it takes many years to master, young grasshopper.

Any questions you need answered specifically, just ask.

AlphaSnake

European weights are often dry weights, as are Japanese - add fuel, oil, washer fluid, coolant, and other misc liquids - you're looking at a 3500lb+ car easily. Nissan advertised the 370Z initially as a 3100lb car. Mine with all fluids weighs 3260 stock. And only now does it weigh around 3190-lbs after mods.

What I'm certain BMW can accomplish is:

Lightweight wheels + tires. This alone can save 50lbs+ easily. I've done it on my cars before.

Lighter seats. You can save 10-20lbs per seat easily without any sacrifice.

Carbon fiber paneling. Roof is obvious, but anything else would be far too expensive to repair and insure.

Exhaust systems. This is the big one. BMWs have long used absurdly cheap and horrifically heavy steel exhausts designed for tanks, as opposed to cars. The exhaust on an E92 M3 weighed 100lbs in full (excluding the headers). On an E60/E62 M5 and M6, 130lbs!

For comparison, a stock exhaust on a 350Z and 370Z weighs 55lbs, and a few pounds more for the larger Infinitis that shared the same exhausts. 100lbs for an exhaust is insanity and where a lot of the unnecessary weight came from for M-cars recently. Fortunately, a lot of that stuff is easily fixable.

AlphaSnake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom