• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you can find one, find a driving school that can teach you manual (place here has a $140 for 2 hours lesson). watching youtube vids is 1 thing, experience is another.

if its from a certified place from the state, you usually can get a certification that can lower your insurance rates too.

No Love

Banned
Finally started retuning my car... I'll post up a virtual dyno tonight. Should be 500-520+ whp. My last dyno was 470~... really excited. I'll test it on the way to work :)

Maybe I'll post a video of 1st through 3rd gear pulls too. Watching the speedo is just insane.

Edit: On the way to work I got on it a few times. Fuck, it's fast. And it still isn't lean enough yet! Running rich as hell, under 10 AFR, so there's still a lot of power to pull out of it tonight. Can't wait to see what she ends up at.

Then I can start planning for the next round of upgrades, and a built/stroked motor + built trans for 600-700 whp/600 wtq. Come to daddy!

No Love

Banned
Yeah, I need to look at these too. Really convinced that I'm not using the clutch right.

You live in SoCal, right? What part? Near L.A.? I'm in Long Beach, work in Torrance. If you want help, just let me know. I can also teach how to smoothly revmatch every downshift. Hopefully your clutch engagement point is adjusted properly, that makes a BIG difference.

N-Bomb

You live in SoCal, right? What part? Near L.A.? I'm in Long Beach, work in Torrance. If you want help, just let me know. I can also teach how to smoothly revmatch every downshift. Hopefully your clutch engagement point is adjusted properly, that makes a BIG difference.

More Southern Ontario. ;) In Toronto.

I was in LA last week though! But anyway, I appreciate the thought.

Engagement point is how my tuner set it, as far as I know. I don't like how it's closer to the floor, but I wouldn't know what is 'proper' if this isn't.

Totally incredible luxury, imo.

Audi: Bringing your living room to your car.

Audi: For those who can afford to skip their First Class flight.

Audi: For Europeans only.

Audi: The True Driver's Car. (you DO have a driver, don't you?)

Audi: You can never be too insulated from the rest of the world (and the road).

Etc...

No Love

Banned
More Southern Ontario. ;) In Toronto.

I was in LA last week though! But anyway, I appreciate the thought.

Engagement point is how my tuner set it, as far as I know. I don't like how it's closer to the floor, but I wouldn't know what is 'proper' if this isn't.

Ah ok, must've mixed you up with someone else!

Engagement point depends on your driving style. Close to the floor isn't ideal, imo. I like my engagement point to be at the upper range of travel, about 75% up. Close to the floor means it's very easy to mess up a shift by overextending the range. I'd try to go for a middle or upper engagement point if you can adjust to that.

TCRS

Banned
What do you mean show some balls? For a freaking facelift, that's a HUGE change over the original model. The front and back are entirely different, and I don't think the last A8 had that chair/leg support thing going on either.

Totally incredible luxury, imo.

Wait, what? I thought it's supposed to be a whole new model. The current one feels like it has been around for ages..

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Audi: Bringing your living room to your car.

Audi: For those who can afford to skip their First Class flight.

Audi: For Europeans only.

Audi: The True Driver's Car. (you DO have a driver, don't you?)

Audi: You can never be too insulated from the rest of the world (and the road).

Etc...

You're the absolute worst.

cube444

Finally started retuning my car... I'll post up a virtual dyno tonight. Should be 500-520+ whp. My last dyno was 470~... really excited. I'll test it on the way to work :)

Maybe I'll post a video of 1st through 3rd gear pulls too. Watching the speedo is just insane.

Edit: On the way to work I got on it a few times. Fuck, it's fast. And it still isn't lean enough yet! Running rich as hell, under 10 AFR, so there's still a lot of power to pull out of it tonight. Can't wait to see what she ends up at.

Then I can start planning for the next round of upgrades, and a built/stroked motor + built trans for 600-700 whp/600 wtq. Come to daddy!

So sick man. Any pics or video?

N-Bomb

Ah ok, must've mixed you up with someone else!

Engagement point depends on your driving style. Close to the floor isn't ideal, imo. I like my engagement point to be at the upper range of travel, about 75% up. Close to the floor means it's very easy to mess up a shift by overextending the range. I'd try to go for a middle or upper engagement point if you can adjust to that.

I'll definitely need to look into this. Got so much to do w/ the car though, and w/ my trip to Europe, not a ton of time to do it.

What are you driving, anyway, with all this power?

mkenyon

Banned
AutoGAF, what say you?

2014-BMW-X5-front-three-quarters.jpg

vs.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Range Rover by far. Better engine. More capable. Better looking. Should even be lighter than the X5 too.

No Love

Banned
I'll definitely need to look into this. Got so much to do w/ the car though, and w/ my trip to Europe, not a ton of time to do it.

What are you driving, anyway, with all this power?

Mitsubishi Evo 8 on E85, stock block and upgraded stock frame turbo. AWD puts down the power effortlessly. Gotta love it.

So sick man. Any pics or video?

I will post up pics and a WOT 1st through 3rd gear run when I'm finished tuning it tonight or tomorrow. Had a bit of an issue with the fuel system last night... rule of thumb for E85 users: do not use fuel hoses that are not built to withstand the corrosive nature of E85 on rubber. I used a cheap-ass hose in a pinch and it ended up failing in less than a month. POS!

Need to vent so bear with me on a lengthy post...

Almost 2 weeks ago I took my GTI in to get my tires replaced at a local VW Audi enthusiast shop that I had heard good things about from some of my VW buddies. Everything seemed like it was great, friendly people and it seemed like they were knowledgeable. When the car was finished I drove home and went to clean the tires when I noticed all 4 wheels had been damaged. I called the shop and they told me to bring it in.

I get there and the owner takes a look, takes me to his tire machine and shows me how it couldn't have been them. While he was giving me Tire Install 101 he grabbed the bar they used to pry the tire off. I told him to take that bar and place it against the wheel where the damage was. Each wheel had scratches (one all the way to the metal) as wide as the bar. As soon as he saw that he stared at his mechanic and admitted it had to have been them. He apologizes and asks if we can try to refinish them since the wheels are rather costly (2011 GTI with 18" VW Detroit wheels). If the refinish doesn't meet my satisfaction he claims they will replace them. I agree to take a day off of work and bring it in a few days later.

I show up the day we agreed upon and the guy is out of the area about a hour away at another shop. One of the mechanics tells me he will call when he gets back, 5 hours later no call. I call and he tells me "oh come on in". I get there and the owner who was cool with the whole situation before is now acting like an ass. Telling me the tires didn't come on the car so they must have been replaced and that is when the damage happened. I tell him he is wrong and that the Pirellis that came with my car are stock and no tires have been changed since the car was bought. Rather annoying but he agrees to take the wheels off. They then put my spare tire on and a extra spare they have from another GTI. Both are on the back of the car.

Now I know that refinishing can take time, saw a few estimated time quotes on websites that say it can take a week. Well I have a rather important family trip coming up this weekend. I called today for a update and the guy told me the shop is having issues with the clear coat. So now it sounds like they have no idea when things will be finished. No trip for me I suppose. I have also been driving on both spares for over a week now and I have a 35 mile commute to work. Things could be worse but it makes me paranoid driving almost 70 with those on the car. They are almost a full size spare but they are still a bit smaller than my regular wheels.

I am happy the shop admitted fault and are working with me but this is still infuriating. I have a feeling now that the wheels will look terrible when they do finish them. I can see a battle with the owner over fully replacing the wheels but hell he did offer that to me so I will fight for it if necessary.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Did the wheels come out ok? Time frame?

No Love

Banned
Need to vent so bear with me on a lengthy post...

Almost 2 weeks ago I took my GTI in to get my tires replaced at a local VW Audi enthusiast shop that I had heard good things about from some of my VW buddies. Everything seemed like it was great, friendly people and it seemed like they were knowledgeable. When the car was finished I drove home and went to clean the tires when I noticed all 4 wheels had been damaged. I called the shop and they told me to bring it in.

I get there and the owner takes a look, takes me to his tire machine and shows me how it couldn't have been them. While he was giving me Tire Install 101 he grabbed the bar they used to pry the tire off. I told him to take that bar and place it against the wheel where the damage was. Each wheel had scratches (one all the way to the metal) as wide as the bar. As soon as he saw that he stared at his mechanic and admitted it had to have been them. He apologizes and asks if we can try to refinish them since the wheels are rather costly (2011 GTI with 18" VW Detroit wheels). If the refinish doesn't meet my satisfaction he claims they will replace them. I agree to take a day off of work and bring it in a few days later.

I show up the day we agreed upon and the guy is out of the area about a hour away at another shop. One of the mechanics tells me he will call when he gets back, 5 hours later no call. I call and he tells me "oh come on in". I get there and the owner who was cool with the whole situation before is now acting like an ass. Telling me the tires didn't come on the car so they must have been replaced and that is when the damage happened. I tell him he is wrong and that the Pirellis that came with my car are stock and no tires have been changed since the car was bought. Rather annoying but he agrees to take the wheels off. They then put my spare tire on and a extra spare they have from another GTI. Both are on the back of the car.

Now I know that refinishing can take time, saw a few estimated time quotes on websites that say it can take a week. Well I have a rather important family trip coming up this weekend. I called today for a update and the guy told me the shop is having issues with the clear coat. So now it sounds like they have no idea when things will be finished. No trip for me I suppose. I have also been driving on both spares for over a week now and I have a 35 mile commute to work. Things could be worse but it makes me paranoid driving almost 70 with those on the car. They are almost a full size spare but they are still a bit smaller than my regular wheels.

I am happy the shop admitted fault and are working with me but this is still infuriating. I have a feeling now that the wheels will look terrible when they do finish them. I can see a battle with the owner over fully replacing the wheels but hell he did offer that to me so I will fight for it if necessary.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Did the wheels come out ok? Time frame?

Wheel refinishing can take a day with someone that's really good.

These guys sound like fucking morons. Might have to take them to small claims court. They should've just bought you some mint used rims and saved you the hassle.

Also... talk to your insurance company. Say that your car was damaged by this shop and you have proof, and they've already admitted it to it but aren't repairing it properly. Your insurance company can do a claim for you and then go after this place. Let me tell you, insurance companies don't fuck around, this shop does NOT want to have to deal with them instead of you. :)

Wheel refinishing can take a day with someone that's really good.

These guys sound like fucking morons. Might have to take them to small claims court. They should've just bought you some mint used rims and saved you the hassle.

Also... talk to your insurance company. Say that your car was damaged by this shop and you have proof, and they've already admitted it to it but aren't repairing it properly. Your insurance company can do a claim for you and then go after this place. Let me tell you, insurance companies don't fuck around, this shop does NOT want to have to deal with them instead of you. :)

Wouldn't that cost me a deductible though? I am a bit naive when it comes to insurance claims. Might have to give my insurance a call and see what they say.

The wheels are a brushed metal look with clear coat on them so I am not sure if that is what is taking them extra time. The owner told me he would call back later when he finds out more info on the situation.

AlphaSnake

No manual option.

Wrong. Again.

For God's sake they haven't even announced the car or its spec sheet properly, just some source stating something that may happen 5 months from now. I'm not saying it's definite, it's just too early to write off. BMW put in a patent on an all new manual transmission that can work with and without the involvement of a clutch pedal. Speculation says it may debut in the M3 and M4.

Besides, if an M6 and an M5 come with manuals...why in God's name wouldn't an M3? Hell, even a 550i can be spec'd with a 6MT.

AlphaSnake

Wouldn't that cost me a deductible though? I am a bit naive when it comes to insurance claims. Might have to give my insurance a call and see what they say.

The wheels are a brushed metal look with clear coat on them so I am not sure if that is what is taking them extra time. The owner told me he would call back later when he finds out more info on the situation.

No, the shop's insurance would be the ones who pay out for it. You wouldn't pay a deductible. You only pay the deductible when it's your fault, or if you're the only party that's part of the claim. If the other party is insured, your insurance goes after their insurance.

Yup, it is known. Ford is going to make the next Mustang a lot sportier, give it IRS, lighter weight. Make it more of a small pony car mixed with truly modern suspension.

If Ford truly makes the next Mustang 200-400 lbs lighter... I'll pick one up as a fun car/extra DD. With IRS, it'll be a monster.

they are just NOW moving to IRS? I thought they did that in 2005?

and honestly this is what they need to do, and to open up a bigger class to compete with the corvette. which honestly the Thunderbird should have been made for.

AlphaSnake

they are just NOW moving to IRS? I thought they did that in 2005?

and honestly this is what they need to do, and to open up a bigger class to compete with the corvette. which honestly the Thunderbird should have been made for.

Yes, this new car will finally be the first to have IRS. It's rather pathetic and late...but better late than never.

The new image leaks of the car running on a track clearly show two individual links running behind the exhaust.

N-Bomb

Mitsubishi Evo 8 on E85, stock block and upgraded stock frame turbo. AWD puts down the power effortlessly. Gotta love it.

Loving AWD. Had some of the most fun in a car ever this winter when I found a pristine snowed parking lot and just did drifty-donuts for 10-15 mins. Looking to get my car into the 350-400 hp range with a good tune and dp this fall.

Wrong. Again.

For God's sake they haven't even announced the car or its spec sheet properly, just some source stating something that may happen 5 months from now. I'm not saying it's definite, it's just too early to write off. BMW put in a patent on an all new manual transmission that can work with and without the involvement of a clutch pedal. Speculation says it may debut in the M3 and M4.

Besides, if an M6 and an M5 come with manuals...why in God's name wouldn't an M3? Hell, even a 550i can be spec'd with a 6MT.

"source says the upcoming F82 M4 will arrive with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT) as standard equipment – with no manual option"

AlphaSnake

Loving AWD. Had some of the most fun in a car ever this winter when I found a pristine snowed parking lot and just did drifty-donuts for 10-15 mins. Looking to get my car into the 350-400 hp range with a good tune and dp this fall.

"source says the upcoming F82 M4 will arrive with a dual-clutch transmission (DCT) as standard equipment – with no manual option"

N-Bomb.

Please. For the love of God. Shut the fluff up. Do a little bit of reading before you believe every ludicrous thing some "insider" spews to an equally clueless blog.

cewaXun.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3KZUngmtY&feature=player_embedded

No Love

Banned

You will need a pretty decent turbo (HTA Greenish) to get up to 400 whp on pump. And E85 for 400+. And you'll need to build the motor, Subie motors don't have strong enough internals for horsepower much past 370-400ish. Will be fun as hell though.

To get 350-400 whp you'll need... full-boltons, injectors, probably an upgraded fuel pump, possibly a bigger factory turbo or aftermarket.

N-Bomb.

Please. For the love of God. Shut the fluff up. Do a little bit of reading before you believe every ludicrous thing some "insider" spews to an equally clueless blog.

cewaXun.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3KZUngmtY&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, agree with Alpha here. BMW will be doing a possible clutchless manual shifted car (where the clutch is done for you but you can shift with your hand just like a manual, and it'll most likely be a 7 speed.

AlphaSnake

You will need a pretty decent turbo (HTA Greenish) to get up to 400 whp on pump. And E85 for 400+. And you'll need to build the motor, Subie motors don't have strong enough internals for horsepower much past 370-400ish. Will be fun as hell though.

To get 350-400 whp you'll need... full-boltons, injectors, probably an upgraded fuel pump, possibly a bigger factory turbo or aftermarket.

Yeah, agree with Alpha here. BMW will be doing a possible clutchless manual shifted car (where the clutch is done for you but you can shift with your hand just like a manual, and it'll most likely be a 7 speed.

Allegedly you can enable or disable the pedal. With it disabled it allows you to row manually. With it enabled, it locks the gearbox up and will drive like a true manual. Again, no guarantee that ends up in the M3/M4.

But there are numerous prototypes running around in manual transmissions. At the very least Europe may not get an MT (like with the M5 and M6), but the US market very well will (again...like the M5 and M6)

Ty4on

AutoGAF, what say you?

vs.

I guess AutoGAF prefers the Range Rover, but for what it's worth Range Rovers have had poor reliability and most people prefer iDrive to this (big picture).

I'd look for not SUVs though because they're cheaper, lighter, faster, often have bigger boots and most driving is done on roads :p

mkenyon

Banned
N-Bomb.

Reminds me of:

tumblr_mme54mwfdq1r8rauqo1_500.png

I guess AutoGAF prefers the Range Rover, but for what it's worth Range Rovers have had poor reliability and most people prefer iDrive to this (big picture).

I'd look for not SUVs though because they're cheaper, lighter, faster, often have bigger boots and most driving is done on roads :p
TY for input!

This is actually for my old man. I just blew all my money on 5 acres, a 120' round pen, 3 pastures, and a truck. And I don't even ride horses. The things we do for love.

They want an SUV as it's primarily for commuting from western Washington to their condo in Hailey, ID (Sun Valley). Some pretty nasty passes in the winter, and there needs to be enough room for lots of stuff as well as their dog.

Having it fun to drive is the bonus.

N-Bomb

Not talking whp there. I have about 240 whp on 91 pump gas with mostly stock JDM everything. Tuner says that 50ish more is no problem on 91 with what I have now (currently a kinda meh tune), but I'm honestly just looking for more low end and better response. Not interested in changing turbos or building the motor at this point. :)

No Love

Banned
Not talking whp there. I have about 240 whp on 91 pump gas with mostly stock JDM everything. Tuner says that 50ish more is no problem on 91 with what I have now (currently a kinda meh tune), but I'm honestly just looking for more low end and better response. Not interested in changing turbos or building the motor at this point. :)

Switch to E85. Best move you can make if it's available near you. You're using the JDM 2.0 motor, right? Much better motor than the 2.5. E85 will give you a HUGE boost in low/mid-range torque and even FASTER spool. I spool up about 200-300~ RPM faster on E85 than I do on 91. You will need bigger injectors + Walbro 255 for E85 usage.

It's so, so worth it. Even off-boost you make more torque and it feels peppier on E85. Who is your tuner right now, and how are you tuning? Cobb Accessport?

No, the shop's insurance would be the ones who pay out for it. You wouldn't pay a deductible. You only pay the deductible when it's your fault, or if you're the only party that's part of the claim. If the other party is insured, your insurance goes after their insurance.

Spoke to State Farm earlier and they informed me that I would have to pay the deductible and if they collect money from the shop I have the possibility of getting the deductible reimbursed. Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom