• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I think the profile of the car tells me exactly why I don't like it: the headlights and taillights are waaaay too low and sloping downward. It almost looks like a bad photoshop front and rear.

A6M3

Banned
I really want to buy this car. 355 HP on 4cyl thats insane

2014-Mercedes-Benz-CLA45-AMG-626x382.jpg

those seats tho

cla45%20amg%204.jpg

cube444

So has anyone here had a chance to check out the 2014 Audi A6 TDI yet? Here's some info:

Now check out the specs of the A6 TDI.

The 3.0 liter turbo-diesel produces 240 hp (30 more than the base 2.0T gas turbo) and – here’s the real deal – an incredible 428 ft.-lbs. of torque at 1,750 RPM. This number needs to be put into perspective. One of my favorite muscle cars – and one of the strongest classic-era muscle cars ever made – was Pontiac’s 1973 SD-455 Trans-Am. This high-performance 7.4 liter V-8 – one of the biggest V-8s ever made by an American (or any other) car company – only made 390 ft.-lbs. of torque. And didn’t make it until 3,600 RPM.

The ’73 SD-455 Trans-Am could run a high 12 second quarter mile – and lay rubber for 100 yards on the way down the track.

And the A6 TDI has 38 lbs.-ft more torque – available at just over half the engine speed.

Now, the A6 won’t run a 12 second quarter – but it is extremely quick: Zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds, which blows away the Benz E350 BlueTec (0-60 in 7.7 seconds) and also magnificently fuel efficient – which a ’73 SD-455 was not. How’s 24 city – and 38 highway – strike you?

Stack that up against the Benz: 21 city – and just 32 highway. That was excellent – class-best, in fact – efficiency last year. Not anymore.

Cars – in general – are now so good overall that when one rises above the rest, it’s a real achievement.

The A6 TDI is such a one.

I can’t say enough in praise of the turbo-diesel engine. It’s an almost no-downside deal. Muscle car performance when you want to hustle. Off the line, it will literally snap your head back if you’re not ready for the bracket-racer thrust of all that torque. The mid-range is even better. A light downward pressure on the accelerator pedal and – like that – you are at 80. Or 90. Or a lot faster than that. And because the engine is a diesel, it hardly revs to get you there. It doesn’t need to. At 70 MPH in top-gear eighth, the RPMs are about 1,800 – a fast idle, really. This is why, incidentally, the TDI Audi is such a fuel miser on the highway. A gas engine would turning higher RPMs – and burning a lot more gas. Just look at the A6′s other engine – the 3.0 liter supercharged V-6: 18 city and 27 highway (and 5.2 seconds to 60).

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssUpV3HB4A&sns=em

A6M3

Banned
Me likely. Problem for me is what's the real cost. Meaning what must have extra's are going to bump up the price?

the interior for one, the engine is the fastest production 4 cylinder ever made. and the price is $50,000 $20,000 more then the base model

So around where I live there was 2 Paul Walker cruises for his charity on Friday night, one with 3000 cars and one with about 300. I went to the smaller one with some mates with R34 GTRs. The big one ended up having a few problems and even ended up on the front page of the newspaper, lol. The smaller cruise went much better. Anyway, my friend did take this photo of my car:
nightgtr_zps8efae1ae.jpg

And a group shot (had a couple more arrive after this photo):
groupphoto_zps1a4b2e7b.jpg

Mr.Fresh

I've posted in this thread before and got advice on this very subject. But can I request the help of some gaffers please? I suck at finding cars especially on Craigslist, but I finally saved up $3000 to be able to get my first car. Would any of you mind pointing me in the right direction for cars on Craigslist or even checking some listings out and recommending them to me? I just don't wanna fuck up with something like this. I'm in the North Jersey area, but the car can be in North or South Jersey. Please help guys. :(

TCRS

Banned
I think I'm gonna go get a 4 series this week. Thoughts?

Also, that Stang interior has to be a fucking joke of some kind.

Do it. The more I look at the 4 series the more I love it. Classic BMW design. Configuring my own right now on the BMW website (not that I'll ever be able to afford it).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
US autoGAF, I need your help!

My dad will probably be moving to the States soon(we live in Canada currently) and he needs a car over there. What's the best way of/website for searching for used cars? (I already know of Kijiji, Autotrader and Craigslist)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Holden announced they're closing down. Big news here in Australia.

Holy shit...just read about it.

Is the brand name disappearing along with it or just manufacturing moving elsewhere? Some of these articles seem a little confusing to me.

zbeeb

Is the brand name disappearing along with it or just manufacturing moving elsewhere? Some of these articles seem a little confusing to me.

No the brand will stay, but manufacturing is leaving by 2017 and engineering operations being cut back drastically.

Sad news

Yes manufacturing here will be ended. The brand name will continue, using GM vehicles from Chevrolet, Isuzu, Opel and Daewoo.

I can see the subtle differences, but if you debadged them, I wouldn't be able to point them out. Not without learning the exact differences on purpose.

OH, doors! Wasn't even looking at that!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That really sucks....I can only speak for the cars they re-badged in the US (GTO & G8) They were some of the best cars GM put out in the last decade.

That attention to quality is probably why they're being shut down. (Kidding... it's the strength of the AUD). Ford's also leaving and Toyota may soon follow. I feel bad for the families.

So the M4 just went live on GT6 for free, with a seasonal challenge on the 'ring GP track.

If that's how the car will handle in real life, then it's going to be fun as hell to hoon, but it's gonna suck on the track without suspension mods or better tires. Getting out of the corner in 1,2, or 3rd gear in full throttle pretty much induces some wild massive drifts. They're easy to catch, but reeling control is gonna add seconds especially if you're doing time trial. The worst thing about it is the turning radius, combine that with some understeer off throttle, it feels like you're driving an SUV. And as above, putting some gas on it will cause it to oversteer so it's definitely a handful of a car.

I am driving with a DS3 though so that might explain why I'm having a little trouble driving it.

Oh btw, it's a standard/premium car. Premium looks good like other premium cars from the outside, but the interior is all black like a standard car.

So the M4 just went live on GT6 for free, with a seasonal challenge on the 'ring GP track.

If that's how the car will handle in real life, then it's going to be fun as hell to hoon, but it's gonna suck on the track without suspension mods or better tires. Getting out of the corner in 1,2, or 3rd gear in full throttle pretty much induces some wild massive drifts. They're easy to catch, but reeling control is gonna add seconds especially if you're doing time trial. The worst thing about it is the turning radius, combine that with some understeer off throttle, it feels like you're driving an SUV. And as above, putting some gas on it will cause it to oversteer so it's definitely a handful of a car.

Who gives a shit?

"Yeah, you may love your super fun to drive car that hangs its ass out all the time but my car is 0.737098235 seconds faster around a track I've never been to, so there.

Edit: And yeah it's because you're using a DS3. It's a terrible controller for any car in GT6 that is prone to oversteer.

Who gives a shit?

"Yeah, you may love your super fun to drive car that hangs its ass out all the time but my car is 0.737098235 seconds faster around a track I've never been to, so there.

Edit: And yeah it's because you're using a DS3. It's a terrible controller for any car in GT6 that is prone to oversteer.

LOL.

I love the fact that it can drift, what I don't love is how I'm missing out on the 50,000 credits I can get if I gold the seasonal challenge. That oversteer is kicking my ass unfortunately. Even with aids like ASM and traction control, its ass will still hang or it'll understeer like a little bitch and I end up wasting time instead. -___-

I really wanna buy a wheel for GT6, but I can't justify the purchase for even a cheap ass Ferrari GT Experience or the DFGT since PS4 support is uncertain. If only Sony would confirm PS4 support for any of them, I'd be on my way to Fry's right now to pick one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom