• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
im kicking alpha's ass in gt6 timed events!

i need the m4

LOL. I do them once, if I complete I move the hell on.

Besides, I hate playing with the controller. The analog sticks are such shit compared to the DS4. I was really good with the wheel though.

LOL. I do them once, if I complete I move the hell on.

Besides, I hate playing with the controller. The analog sticks are such shit compared to the DS4. I was really good with the wheel though.

Yeah, the DS3 really isn't acceptable for GT3 unless you're driving a car that's guaranteed to understeer. It's simply way, way too easy to over steer on initial turn-in or over-correct in a drift with any car that is prone to oversteer. Driving the BTR, which I love, is a lesson in frustration at times until you learn exactly the right position the stick needs to be in for a proper turn-in for all turns on a track.

Interesting news coming from folks who run the annual Miata's at Mazda Raceway.

The even was originally scheduled to be in April, now it's been moved back to September 6-7.

Why?

Because Mazda said "we're going to make it worth your while."

Besides the usual events and appearances by current Mazda design director and the legendary Tom Matano(designer of the 1st gen Miata)... 2014 is the Miata's 25th anniversary.

Hmmmm... I wonder what that means...

Next gen Miata!!! Hold me GAF!

bcl0328

I love how it's officially unveiled yet I saw it at the Tokyo auto show a few weeks ago.

wasn't that the "concept M4" that was released months ago?

and is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are the same length? why the hell is a 2-door the same length as a 4-door? it just looks so awkward from the side.

M3 looks better than the m4.

Sub 4 seconds to sixty is impressive.

Still think im gonna wait for E90 M3s to get into the 20s and pick one up.

Smokey

So looking over pics and videos... Does the M3 look better than the M4 to anyone else? Maybe it's the color. Also looks like a baby M5. I feel like lines flow better or something.

TCRS

Banned
nope. M4 in my veins.

and is anyone else bothered by the fact that they are the same length? why the hell is a 2-door the same length as a 4-door? it just looks so awkward from the side.

lol the side view is the best part of the 4 series (imo). so sexy and perfectly proportioned.

Smokey

nope. M4 in my veins.

D0iMxJE.png

oA7szJs.png

So I'm buying a brand new red Xterra. Turns out my company has a deal with Nissan and I get them for hundreds under dealer invoice, so rock on. I'm not super excited about it, but it's the perfect utility vehicle for me: 4WD (for north Michigan and construction sites) with good enough towing for my track car all in a small SUV chassis. Right on.

So I'm buying a brand new red Xterra. Turns out my company has a deal with Nissan and I get them for hundreds under dealer invoice, so rock on. I'm not super excited about it, but it's the perfect utility vehicle for me: 4WD (for north Michigan and construction sites) with good enough towing for my track car all in a small SUV chassis. Right on.

Nice! Getting a car under invoice is a grand-slam regardless of the vehicle.

Question for AutoRacingGAF: Now that Holden is dead and Ford is pulling out of Australia, is the V8 Supercars Championship dead? I was going to start watching it this upcoming season but now I'm not sure if I should even bother.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Our corporate benefits generally suck, but the "partnership" discounts for cars are fantastic, and generally fully honored, even for the flagship vehicles. The only manufacturer that had a lot of conditions last I checked was Chrysler. I've walked away with cars under invoice even when otherwise you'd have to pay a premium over sticker due to demand.

bcl0328

i also think the M3 looks better. i didn't want another sedan, but i just don't like the profile of the M4. i want to see it in person first though. pictures never do justice. and probably in that blue color. although i'm not sure if i can afford one yet, might have to get a 435 m-sport instead.

No Love

Banned
Thinking about leasing either the M4 or the M235i. Guess it depends on which one is more enjoyable to drive. I am not sure the M4 will offer a whole lot more than the M235i if you chip them both. We'll see.

Really digging the way both the M3 and M4 look.

coldfoot

Banned
Thinking about leasing either the M4 or the M235i. Guess it depends on which one is more enjoyable to drive. I am not sure the M4 will offer a whole lot more than the M235i if you chip them both. We'll see.

Really digging the way both the M3 and M4 look.

Good call on the lease part, lol.
I'd like to know the weight difference between the two.

TylerD

Question for AutoRacingGAF: Now that Holden is dead and Ford is pulling out of Australia, is the V8 Supercars Championship dead? I was going to start watching it this upcoming season but now I'm not sure if I should even bother.

V8 Supercars will continue to have Ford and Holden from what I can tell. This year, Nissan and Merc entered and next year Volvo joins the party.

It is a great series to follow but it is difficult for somone in the US.

No Love

Banned
Buy an E90 M3 and slam a VF super charger on it.

Funny you mention that... I am actually buying an Estoril Blue '96 E36 M3 coupe from a friend of mine in a couple of weeks. I am going to do some aesthetic restorations to it (repaint front bumper, fix the Vader seats, reroll the fenders) and get everything sorted on it.

Then I will either DD it NA or maybe boost it... I know for about $4-5k I could buy a used supercharger kit + get all the stuff for E85 and tune it on E85. I very rarely see E85 supercharged M3's of any sort. I am guessing with just pulley upgrade upgrade and 3" exhaust + E85 tune I could see 400+ whp pretty easily. Very hard to find E85 dyno numbers unfortunately. I think the highest whp SC'd E36 M3 ever was 511 whp and that was on meth etc.

I really, really love the E36 M3. It is such a balanced, fun car. And very reliable too. It's gonna be my beater until I decide to pull the trigger on a Z06 or an Evo 9. Thinking about picking one of those two up in late January.

Those E9x M3's are definitely getting cheap though... and they make massive power when supercharged. :) I love the way they look too.

rokkerkory

Good call. My buddy is considering doing this to his but it's the SC price that's holding him back.

When do the M3/M4 cars go on sale?

EDIT: Wonder what power numbers we will see out of the ATS-V now.

They can be ordered now, with first ones shipped in June/July to NA.

This winter is my first one in an RWD. Had the first bit of real snow over the last week or so and it wasn't bad at all. I did feel the rear end slip a couple of time on uncleared roads but it felt much safer than it did when I lost control in my old FWD.

Had to pass a Solstice that was trying to wiggle it's way up a bridge with the hazard lights on.

the first reviews of the new WRX seem to be overall very positive. even the CVT is supposed to be quite good.

its real weird, adding cvt and the less aggressive looks are to appeal to wider audience... yet they stiffed the thing up a bit too...

at least it seems like the 6 speed shifter is way better than the garbage shifter of current iteration.

seems like a pretty decent car that you can justify to the wife. It looks family sedan enough.

Car and Driver explains why the Toyobaru Twins aren't on the 2014 10Best Cars list:

The chassis that was such a revelation in 2013 is still squirming under these Japanese twins, but its brilliance so blinded us that it took a year to notice that almost every other aspect is only average or worse. Still, keep either one in the garage for track days and canyon-road blasts.

Bomba?

Even the Miata got taken off for 2014 but they know the next gen is coming so they simply took it off the list.

Shame about the Toyobaru Twins though.

On the other hand, here's the top 10.

TCRS

Banned
I feel sorry for Mercedes customers outside of Germany. Buy a brand new Mercedes E-Class, don't even get a star on the hood. If I'm buying a +50k Merc I want a fucking star on the bonnet. Absolutely terrible decision by Mercedes.

My father has owned several Mercedes' over the years and I loved driving around with the star at the front. Made you feel superior :p

edit: looks like in the US you can get it with a star but not in the UK.

TylerD

That alpine white 3 Series M-Sport in the 10-best feature looks so tasty.
-----

My car is springing leaks. Valve cover gasket (only after 2 years and 18k miles) and I think the oil filter housing gasket. which seemed to leak for a bit and then stopped months a go but it is back.

Finally saw signs of that yellowish oil/condensation mix that I had heard so much about due to cold temps and some short drives.

Had a little fuel drip when it got really cold out (and only when it was really cold) but I tightened up the hose clamps at the filter and that is fixed.

Other than that, I had my random 3-4 month start up misfire a couple weeks a go. Always happens first start of the day and in cold weather on the rare occasion it does act up.

Looks like I am doing the VCG and OFHG over the weekend. I also bought the crankcase ventilation components but may hold off on that for a bit.

No Love

Banned
That alpine white 3 Series M-Sport in the 10-best feature looks so tasty.
-----

My car is springing leaks. Valve cover gasket (only after 2 years and 18k miles) and I think the oil filter housing gasket. which seemed to leak for a bit and then stopped months a go but it is back.

Finally saw signs of that yellowish oil/condensation mix that I had heard so much about due to cold temps and some short drives.

Had a little fuel drip when it got really cold out (and only when it was really cold) but I tightened up the hose clamps at the filter and that is fixed.

Other than that, I had my random 3-4 month start up misfire a couple weeks a go. Always happens first start of the day and in cold weather on the rare occasion it does act up.

Looks like I am doing the VCG and OFHG over the weekend. I also bought the crankcase ventilation components but may hold off on that for a bit.

Just an FYI... valve cover gasket is no big deal. You can fix it yourself. Very common issue that happens on all M50/M52/M54 and S50/S52's from time to time. Pretty cheap to fix too. That M54 motor is rock solid.

So I went and saw my friend's E36 M3 today that he's selling me... wow Estoril Blue looks so much better in person than in pics. It does need $1-2k worth of TLC but it'll be worth it. E36 M3 is such a great car to drive. I just wonder how much fun it'd be with 400+ whp on tap. :) It'll hold me over a month or two til I pick up another Evo 9 or the Z06...

TylerD

Just an FYI... valve cover gasket is no big deal. You can fix it yourself. Very common issue that happens on all M50/M52/M54 and S50/S52's from time to time. Pretty cheap to fix too. That M54 motor is rock solid.

So I went and saw my friend's E36 M3 today that he's selling me... wow Estoril Blue looks so much better in person than in pics. It does need $1-2k worth of TLC but it'll be worth it. E36 M3 is such a great car to drive. I just wonder how much fun it'd be with 400+ whp on tap. :) It'll hold me over a month or two til I pick up another Evo 9 or the Z06...

Oh, I am doing it and looking forward to it. 40 bucks and a couple of hours vs the quotes of 250-500 that I called around about on the valve cover. I love getting my hands dirty.

Oil filter housing gasket looks pretty easy too. It is the crankcase vent stuff that gives me a little pause but I've watched and read a bunch of diys and have some tools on the way just incase things get hairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom