• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boost + CVT = easy launch control. Makes sense to me.

still super iffy what the new wrx is targeting. It looks like a slighty modded out econbox and they ditched the 5 door and improved up the interiors... while at the same time offering a cvt option with sporty functionalities, and stiffened up the ride.

but then i've always bean a bit confused who the wrx is targetting besides teens.

ruxtpin

Banned
Aye - Looking to get some thoughts from others on the following...

After several quick detailings over the last couple of months I noticed a number of rock chips/pits on the front bumper and leading hood area of my Z. I expected these - stuff happens - but I'm unsure of the best path to take.

Option 1: I could find a body shop or cheap kit to repair the rock chips/pits as best as possible, and then have the clear-bra installed. I'm unsure if the clear-bra will highlight these imperfections and make them look worse (air bubbles, etc), or make them less noticeable.

Option 2: Get a full respray on the front bumper and hood, and then have the clear-bra installed. Problem in this situation is cost.

Option 3: Forget both options above and keep the car as clean as possible in-between drives as I do now. I mention this option because there's a high chance that in 3-4 years I'll trade the Z in for something new.

Any thoughts on what you'd do in my situation? Or recommendations?

So I recently got a good job, and I want to buy myself a new car. Been going off consumer reports reviews.

Ive been looking at the 328i xDrive, Audi A4, and infiniti G37 (seems like the best choice).

Any other recommendations for a Sedan with AWD under 35,000? Looking to buy a certified 2011+

I've driven a couple G37x's and they're pretty nice but their suspension inspires zero confidence; I don't know how they are as far as maintenance and reliability (on that front, stay well away from the A4).

Another one to consider is the Volvo S60, personally I think they ride really well and offer a lot for the money next to BMW. I bet you can find a really nice AWD one with the T6 engine for under 35k. Also the safety is a nice selling point if you have a family (or plan to). Again...I'm not too sure about reliability for the new ones--Volvo now is not Volvo of old.

Aye - Looking to get some thoughts from others on the following...

After several quick detailings over the last couple of months I noticed a number of rock chips/pits on the front bumper and leading hood area of my Z. I expected these - stuff happens - but I'm unsure of the best path to take.

Doing any concourses any time soon? No? Then forget about it. Cars get stone chips.

TxdoHawk

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice. I'm working on finalizing a deal for delivery today.

Had another quick question though. Car I'm buying has a thin scratch on the rear of the driver's side, on the bumper, about six inches long. It's the only noticeable cosmetic flaw and I want to fix it. Should I go the touch-up paint route, or is it better to take a scratch that long somewhere?

Smokey

Auto Bros:

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new car for my fiancé and finally put the 04 corolla to rest. I'm looking at a 2014 Accord Coupe Ex–L V6 for her. She wants a 2 door and we've talked about it before. Does anybody have any hands on experience with an accord coupe? Terrible buy? Thumbs up?

still super iffy what the new wrx is targeting. It looks like a slighty modded out econbox and they ditched the 5 door and improved up the interiors... while at the same time offering a cvt option with sporty functionalities, and stiffened up the ride.

but then i've always bean a bit confused who the wrx is targetting besides teens.

I had an 04 WRX. I bought it because I wanted a sporty car but I live in NY and needed something that would be good in bad weather. I'm not feeling any of the newer models though.

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice. I'm working on finalizing a deal for delivery today.

Had another quick question though. Car I'm buying has a thin scratch on the rear of the driver's side, on the bumper, about six inches long. It's the only noticeable cosmetic flaw and I want to fix it. Should I go the touch-up paint route, or is it better to take a scratch that long somewhere?

It doesn't matter how long it is, it matters how deep it is. If it isn't into the bare metal you could polish it out. If you take it to a shop prepare to spend ~$200 to get it fixed. Depends on how much it bothers you.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Auto Bros:

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new car for my fiancé and finally put the 04 corolla to rest. I'm looking at a 2014 Accord Coupe Ex–L V6 for her. She wants a 2 door and we've talked about it before. Does anybody have any hands on experience with an accord coupe? Terrible buy? Thumbs up?

1) It's a Honda. It's reliable.
2) The V6 is solid and powerful.
3) The new interior is by far the nicest in its class. Hell, arguably even better than Honda's own Acuras in some regards.

4) Does it have to be FWD? It is fairly expensive, imo. I feel like you can get into great luxury cars at the cost of a V6 Accord Coupe.

Auto Bros:

dad had a 2000 accord coupe. good car, good looks but not stiff so a decent commuter.

it got totalled though because of a tire exploding and it went all michael bay rolling, nearly killed my mom and brother, but i don't think it was honda's fault. Them being mostly in tact is probably a plus for the car.

honda still has some of the best shifters around if manual is a thing. Be careful though, going from corolla to a v6 accord.... probably will lead to a few speeding tickets.

Smokey

1) It's a Honda. It's reliable.
2) The V6 is solid and powerful.
3) The new interior is by far the nicest in its class. Hell, arguably even better than Honda's own Acuras in some regards.

4) Does it have to be FWD? It is fairly expensive, imo. I feel like you can get into great luxury cars at the cost of a V6 Accord Coupe.

dad had a 2000 accord coupe. good car, good looks but not stiff so a decent commuter.

it got totalled though because of a tire exploding and it went all michael bay rolling, nearly killed my mom and brother, but i don't think it was honda's fault. Them being mostly in tact is probably a plus for the car.

honda still has some of the best shifters around if manual is a thing. Be careful though, going from corolla to a v6 accord.... probably will lead to a few speeding tickets.

Thanks for responses. Reliability is one of my needs for her. For me not so much lol. But I can't have my fiancé running the risk of something happening or worrying while she's driving.

Her only requirement is it needs to be 2 doors. I went with v6 because I thought it would be a decent jump up from what she's currently in. Everytime she drives my car (335i) she always mentions how much fun it is, quick it is etc etc. But I guess anything is quicker than a corolla

How are the four cylinder models?

zippy. How is your wife as a driver. Got any tickets/ license points?

Have you looked at other 25k~ coupes? mustang, fr-s/brz, camaro, etc?

And i've never known any woman that want a 2 door ;). They all rather drive around in small suvs or something to have more room for shopping runs :X

rokkerkory

It looks like I will keep my M3 around for a few more years. She has low miles and in excellent condition inside and out. I just love her and quite on the fence about new M4 for right now.

Actually my priority is to replace my aging daily driver of 12 years. I am thinking of a nice little hatchback for daily grind:

2014-mazda-3-rendering-and-information-news-car-and-driver-photo-475717-s-429x262.jpg

Looks so juicy.

keiichi

My 2003 Honda Accord just hit 200k this past weekend. It's been very reliable, no real unexpected repairs. Replaced the clutch around 140k or so.

The only real problems I've had that were unexpected was the fuse or the power door locks going out and I've noticed leaking near the passenger A pillar.

AlphaSnake

Thanks for responses. Reliability is one of my needs for her. For me not so much lol. But I can't have my fiancé running the risk of something happening or worrying while she's driving.

Her only requirement is it needs to be 2 doors. I went with v6 because I thought it would be a decent jump up from what she's currently in. Everytime she drives my car (335i) she always mentions how much fun it is, quick it is etc etc. But I guess anything is quicker than a corolla

Ehhh, not bad. Certainly a massive step up over a Corolla. But she'll probably get sick of it quick and it doesn't sound particularly nice (none do, really).

Get the V6.

Smokey

zippy. How is your wife as a driver. Got any tickets/ license points?

Have you looked at other 25k~ coupes? mustang, fr-s/brz, camaro, etc?

And i've never known any woman that want a 2 door ;). They all rather drive around in small suvs or something to have more room for shopping runs :X

Never got any tickets or any docks on her license. She rarely speeds 5+ over the limit.

Camaro I can't stand the inside and poor visibility
Mustang she likes. Her sister works for Ford so that's also an option.
Haven't looked at those others and she's never mentioned them.

She's very adamant on it being two doors heh, she likes very few four door cars.

AlphaSnake

Never got any tickets or any docks on her license. She rarely speeds 5+ over the limit.

Camaro I can't stand the inside and poor visibility
Mustang she likes. Her sister works for Ford so that's also an option.
Haven't looked at those others and she's never mentioned them.

She's very adamant on it being two doors heh, she likes very few four door cars.

I wish my wifeyboo drove like yours.

Mine is flying 15-20MPH+ on the highways. Sometimes I wonder if it's my fault for getting her into cars.

nayrac

I've driven a couple G37x's and they're pretty nice but their suspension inspires zero confidence; I don't know how they are as far as maintenance and reliability (on that front, stay well away from the A4).

Another one to consider is the Volvo S60, personally I think they ride really well and offer a lot for the money next to BMW. I bet you can find a really nice AWD one with the T6 engine for under 35k. Also the safety is a nice selling point if you have a family (or plan to). Again...I'm not too sure about reliability for the new ones--Volvo now is not Volvo of old.

Doing any concourses any time soon? No? Then forget about it. Cars get stone chips.

New Volvos aren't as reliable but they're fine in general. The seats and safety are still top notch. That's what I recommend whenever someone says A4/328/C.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Might be picking up a Volt this week. Looking forward it.

Going through the Costco purchase program.

I have a Volt, feel free to ask me any questions you have about it :)

I believe there's atleast one other person on neogaf with a Volt.

AlphaSnake

New Volvos aren't as reliable but they're fine in general. The seats and safety are still top notch. That's what I recommend whenever someone says A4/328/C.

My mom has a Volvo S60 T5 AWD, I love driving it whenever I'm in NY.

I prefer how it drives, handles, and feels over my old (my dad's now) 2012 A6 3.0T.

Also, if anyone considers a Volvo S60 make sure it's a 2012+ model. My mom had a 2011 that was totaled during Hurricane Sandy, and it had a lot of weird little glitches and hiccups. Her 2012 replacement was perfect.

Also x2: the 2012 S6 T5s received a huge low-end and mid-range power boost (thanks to adjustments made to compression ratio) that made the car feel muuuuuuch faster around town (peak power remained the same). The car gets my recommendation wholeheartedly.

Edit: Oh and the audio system in the car (standard one) is faaaaaaaar and away the best in any luxury car south of the $80K range. And even then, a lot of super saloons only barely eclipse what the Volvo does with its audio system.

asdad123

I prefer how it drives, handles, and feels over my old (my dad's now) 2012 A6 3.0T.

Also, if anyone considers a Volvo S60 make sure it's a 2012+ model. My mom had a 2011 that was totaled during Hurricane Sandy, and it had a lot of weird little glitches and hiccups. Her 2012 replacement was perfect.

Also x2: the 2012 S6 T5s received a huge low-end and mid-range power boost (thanks to adjustments made to compression ratio) that made the car feel muuuuuuch faster around town (peak power remained the same). The car gets my recommendation wholeheartedly.

Edit: Oh and the audio system in the car (standard one) is faaaaaaaar and away the best in any luxury car south of the $80K range. And even then, a lot of super saloons only barely eclipse what the Volvo does with its audio system.

Okay cool thanks. I'll check it out when I go out tomorrow to test drive some.

Theres only one Volvo dealer near me, but thankfully its very close to the BMW dealer.

Planning on test driving a 2012 Infiniti G37x Special Edition, 2013 328i xDrive, 2012 Volvo S60, 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD, and a 2011 Audi A5 2.0T (I just loooove how it looks. Might as well go for a test drive while I'm out lol).

All the ones I picked out are in the 29-33k range with less than 20,000 miles and certified (apart from the A5 which is a 27k miles) except for the Volvo which is $38k (ouch).

Smokey

Well wrapping up the purchase of the V6 Accord Coupe. 2014 13 miles on it. Loaded with everything except the 2k nav package. Nobody got time for all that, use your phone.

Pretty excited. Dealership closes early tomorrow so the car will be in the garage when she gets home from work (have to trade in corolla, going to drive her to work). Bitches won't give me a bow.

TxdoHawk

I'm wrapping my purchase up today too! Dumbass finance dude left before I could wrap things up yesterday, so today is just sign a few last forms and hand over my Altima keys.

Waiting to see what the MSRP on the Polestars will be. I imagine there will be some "pole" involved.

bcl0328

how long do tires normally last? i'm coming up on 40k miles and have no clue if i need new ones. they seem fine to me but i drive 80 miles a day and need peace of mind. it's about 95% highway miles. i don't do burnouts or anything. is there a tread wear indicator?

they are ContiSportContact 5 SSR

how long do tires normally last? i'm coming up on 40k miles and have no clue if i need new ones. they seem fine to me but i drive 80 miles a day and need peace of mind. it's about 95% highway miles. i don't do burnouts or anything. is there a tread wear indicator?

Check the tread. If it's at least 1/8" deep in the middle then you're good to go, you could go as low as 1/16" if you wanted to. If it's worn on one side of the tire more then the other or worn on one side of the car more then the other then get your alignment checked.

AlphaSnake

The tread wear indicators are little pillow-bumps in between the tread. If your tread and bump are almost even, then the tire is done.

bcl0328

cool thanks for the pics.

i saw a car next to me today with completely bald tires. i hope he's getting some new ones for christmas.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Thanks for the shitty reminder that I need to replace my $700 tires, asshole.

Forsete

Chinese tires ftw.. Lucky Go Fast, Goldstar Win or whatever they are called.

Dont listen to me, they are probably dangerous.

AlphaSnake

Fuck y'all I'm not paying $215+ a tire.

Haha, if you don't have a RWD sports car making nearly 400HP, then yeah, there's no point of them. :p

Although, once your E30 gets some work done..I'd imagine you will need them.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Haha, if you don't have a RWD sports car making nearly 400HP, then yeah, there's no point of them. :p

Although, once your E30 gets some work done..I'd imagine you will need them.

Depends if they're even made for a wheel that small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom