• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of these too. I'm looking at this, and I think I'm going to use my Sixth Amendment rights to confront my accuser and see what happens.

Well if it's from Texas you don't need to worry about, but you can certainly set up an appointment, at which point they'll simply point out "you didn't stop." And they'll probably be right.

It's a pain in the ass for them though (I imagine), and you can make them do all the rigmarole and then still not pay them, for which there is barely any legal recourse. Most of the counties in the effected areas have straight up said they're not going to bother enforcing the "no registration until tickets are paid" rule. Tarrant is one.

Requiem

Can I get some of you guys opinions on an 03-04 G35 Coupe (manual tranny of course). I've been doing a fair bit of research on the car and I think it will be my next. Should be a nice change from my Maxima. I would like to hear any first hand experience anyone has...

It seems like the engine and tranny are extremely solid and most of the issues are relatively minor ones (windows, Bose Head Unit, seat belt retractor, etc.). Any tips for a potential G owner?

Smokey

Got these from Bimmerpost. Pre-production M3 in the streets:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Need to see more M4 but still think M3 looks better

Enron

Banned
Can I get some of you guys opinions on an 03-04 G35 Coupe (manual tranny of course). I've been doing a fair bit of research on the car and I think it will be my next. Should be a nice change from my Maxima. I would like to hear any first hand experience anyone has...

It seems like the engine and tranny are extremely solid and most of the issues are relatively minor ones (windows, Bose Head Unit, seat belt retractor, etc.). Any tips for a potential G owner?

I've got the sedan. I love it. Zero issues with it that I couldn't just fix myself. Bought it beginning of 2011 and all i've done is replace cam sensor, brakes, tires, and changed the oil and belts.

The interior is very dated - it feels like a car from the late 90s instead of the mid 00s in that cabin full of cheap plastics and straight lines.

The only bad thing about owning the coupe is that the 1st gen coupes are so affordable now you see a lot of younger guys and kids driving these things and turning them into total douchemobiles with flashy aftermarket bits, stancing them, etc.

So I finally got my 944 spec car running just right and took it out for a joy-ride without a windshield...or an exhaust.

Enjoy 2.5L of flat out open headers!

http://youtu.be/r8iRJPH6qMs

I didn't think of it while I was driving, but driving a car with a closed hatch and no windshield reeeeaally slows it down at speed. I should uh... probably put a windshield on.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jaguar gave me a 2014 XF 3.0SC loaner.

Being able to compare the supercharged 3.0 V6 of the Jag vs the supercharged 3.0 V6 of the Audi A6 is something I've wanted to do for a while. Yes, the Jaguar motor is better than Audi's. It puts down power better, it sounds leagues ahead and more refined (the Audi always sounded strained, almost like an inline 5 motor and it drove me crazy, it sounded cheap).

This Jag V6 is literally my 5.0 V8 motor with two cylinders removed. So if you know this motor, you know it's extremely robust and can handle ogles of power and abuse. But easily the best thing about this Jag V6 is how it handles power. In the Audi, you get a swarm of torque that seems to quickly disappear, as the power delivery of the A6 also begins to severely drop off after 5500RPM. So not only does the Audi's torque begin to dissipate, but so does its horsepower (the car has an electronically controlled blow off valve, a rarity for supercharged drivetrains).

The Jaguar does none of the above. You get the low end torque of the Audi and a fantastic midrange that carries you into a meaty high end that is also high on power, as well. Remember, the Jaguar delivers 340HP vs the 310HP of the Audi. So the experience of driving both cars is fairly different - the Jaguar feels no where near as anemic as the Audi does in power delivery and I respect Jag for that.

It should also be noted that both cars use the exact same ZF sourced 8-speed gearbox.

AlphaSnake

FIAT now owns 100% of Chrysler. The UAW didn't get their way, thankfully. An actual business will now be able to run and operate Chrysler without obstruction, threats, and poor logic. It also means no IPO for Chrysler, which the UAW wanted if a sale were to occur.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well if it's from Texas you don't need to worry about, but you can certainly set up an appointment, at which point they'll simply point out "you didn't stop." And they'll probably be right.

It's a pain in the ass for them though (I imagine), and you can make them do all the rigmarole and then still not pay them, for which there is barely any legal recourse. Most of the counties in the effected areas have straight up said they're not going to bother enforcing the "no registration until tickets are paid" rule. Tarrant is one.
It's from Florida, and specifically from a city (Juno Beach) that is notorious for something like a 70% success rate in getting these red light camera tickets overturned.

FIAT now owns 100% of Chrysler. The UAW didn't get their way, thankfully. An actual business will now be able to run and operate Chrysler without obstruction, threats, and poor logic. It also means no IPO for Chrysler, which the UAW wanted if a sale were to occur.
Hopefully, Fiat doesn't just pillage Chrysler's cash pile the way Daimler did, and lets the awesome happen.

TylerD

So I finally got my 944 spec car running just right and took it out for a joy-ride without a windshield...or an exhaust.

Enjoy 2.5L of flat out open headers!

http://youtu.be/r8iRJPH6qMs

I didn't think of it while I was driving, but driving a car with a closed hatch and no windshield reeeeaally slows it down at speed. I should uh... probably put a windshield on.

Yum. I had an impromptu open header experience in my first 944. The muffler hung down really low to the ground and I ran over a severe bridge/road transition at 80mph on I-35. The muffler must have caught on the joint and ripped it off. Drove about 30 miles with the racket and got a temp muffer fitted.

A couple of days later when I made the same trip road crews were working on that transition.

KingGondo

Banned
Well, this sucks.

Some of you may recall that I bought a 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT early in 2013. It had about 85k miles.

It was a terrible decision. Not only did we have to repair the A/C (the issue only manifested itself in warmer weather, making it impossible to catch before we bought it) at a cost of $1200, we've had periodic other issues that have run in the hundreds of dollars.

Now it looks like the turbo is shot, and it will cost $1400 plus labor to replace.

On top of that, it's coming up on 100k miles and the timing belt will need to be replaced at a cost of $1000-$1200.

Considering cutting my losses and ditching this money pit. Has anyone here ever had a similar situation? Any advice?

coldfoot

Banned
Well, this sucks.

Some of you may recall that I bought a 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT early in 2013. It had about 85k miles.

It was a terrible decision. Not only did we have to repair the A/C (the issue only manifested itself in warmer weather, making it impossible to catch before we bought it) at a cost of $1200, we've had periodic other issues that have run in the hundreds of dollars.

Now it looks like the turbo is shot, and it will cost $1400 plus labor to replace.

On top of that, it's coming up on 100k miles and the timing belt will need to be replaced at a cost of $1000-$1200.

Considering cutting my losses and ditching this money pit. Has anyone here ever had a similar situation? Any advice?

It cost $1200 to repair the AC? HOW? Compressors are $300-400.

No Love

Banned
Well, this sucks.

Don't get fucked in the ass.

You can get a turbo for that car for $200-300ish. The timing belt change can't cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

You can find an indy shop or someone on NASIOC that'll charge you a couple hundred bucks to swap the new parts in. Do not get scammed. That is all very minor, cheap shit to fix.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't get fucked in the ass.

You can get a turbo for that car for $200-300ish. The timing belt change can't cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

You can find an indy shop or someone on NASIOC that'll charge you a couple hundred bucks to swap the new parts in. Do not get scammed. That is all very minor, cheap shit to fix.

Good advice. There are a lot of people on NASIOC who are willing to help fellow Subaru owners for cheap/free.
Thanks so much for your advice. I'll check out every resource I can before I go ahead with the repair.

No Love

Banned
Thanks so much for your advice. I'll check out every resource I can before I go ahead with the repair.

Get on NASIOC forum right now and post a help wanted thread. Subaru owners have a fantastic community and I guarantee you will get help! Dont get scammed and ripped off.

This is new. It's gotten so cold outside (-15, -35 with wind chill) that the electronics in my car were lagging. The numbers on the 7 segment displays were merging into each other. The car also took ages to defog.

ruxtpin

Banned
So I got in my 06 Corolla today and it was 7f outside. Let the car sit and warm up for a few minutes before I started my drive to work. After I started driving though I came up on a red light and was stopped, and the car was doing these little jerky movements forward (even though I wasn't giving it any gas). I had my foot on the brake and could feel the car slightly shaking like it was being given a bit of gas (but the rpms weren't rising).

Anyone know what's up with that? Never done it before when it's warm outside.

AlphaSnake

This is new. It's gotten so cold outside (-15, -35 with wind chill) that the electronics in my car were lagging. The numbers on the 7 segment displays were merging into each other. The car also took ages to defog.

Not surprising at all. They are liquid crystals. My old 3rd Gen iPod used to do that all the time.

Not surprising at all. They are liquid crystals. My old 3rd Gen iPod used to do that all the time.

Oh, that makes sense. Hadn't made that connection.

I have been in Michigan for about 6 winters now. Hadn't gotten my license in the first one and the ones after that had been rather mild. This winter has been... interesting.

AlphaSnake

Heh...

HAGERTY ANNOUNCES ITS ANNUAL "HOT LIST" OF FUTURE COLLECTIBLES
The Classic Car Experts Predict the Most Collectible 2014 Model Year Cars

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (January 6, 2014) – With so much attention focused on the record breaking classic car sales and their rapidly increasing values, many enthusiasts often wonder which cars of today will be collectible down the road. Always keeping an eye on the market, the collector car experts at Hagerty released their annual list of vehicles that stand out as likely being collectible within the next 25 years.

In order to be considered for this years "Hagerty Hot List," the vehicle must be produced within the 2014 model year with an MSRP of less than $100,000. Special consideration was given to newly launched versions not appearing on previous Hagerty Hot Lists.

"Most new car news focuses on the latest interactive technology, alternative power sources, and the race to increased efficiency," said McKeel Hagerty, President and CEO of Hagerty. "But for a car to be collectible in the future, it has to be cool right off the assembly line. A collectible car has to grab you and not let you go."

The 2014 Hagerty Hot List (along with base price):

1. Jaguar F-Type R ($99,000) – The British marque makes a triumphant return to the sports car scene with the growling F-Type. Boasting a healthy V8 engine and rear drive platform, the F-Type will surely be a driving enthusiast choice soon enough.

2. BMW M5 Sedan ($92,900) – A performance-oriented sedan with an old school manual transmission is quickly becoming an extinct species. While more drivers shun the thought of using three pedals, we applaud BMW for keeping this option alive in this segment.

3. Chevrolet COPO Camaro ($90,000) – Chevrolet basically guarantees future collectability of the drag- strip ready COPO Camaro by limiting production to 69 units. It is only appropriate that the first production model will be sold at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson auction in Arizona.

4. Maserati Ghibli S ($75,000) – The Ghibli returns for a third time, and this time as a four door. The twin turbochargers feeding the 410 horsepower 3.0 liter V6 ensures the Ghibli is more than just pretty curves.

5. Alfa Romeo 4C ($54,000) – A budget-friendly Italian sports car might sound like an oxymoron, but the 4C is saying all the right words. With a carbon fiber tub leading to a curb weight of just over 2,100 lbs., this sporty two-seater isn't pulling any punches as it aims at the U.S. market.

6. Chevrolet Corvette ($51,000) – The Corvette is the most popularly collected vehicle in the U.S. so GM had no choice but to make the new C7 great. It is a nice mix of Corvette heritage with real world performance figures and technology goodies. Dollar for dollar this is the best performance buy on the market.

7. Nissan 370Z NISMO ($43,000) – The Nissan Z car has amassed a following and the 370Z NISMO is the latest and greatest in this lineage. With Japanese cars now representing a standalone class of collectables in a way that we have not seen in the past, 350 and 370Zs will not be ignored by collectors in years to come.

8. Dodge Challenger Shaker ($36,995) – While the styling of the new Challenger has always harkened back to the glory days of muscle cars, nothing says horsepower wars like a bulging hood scoop. Dodge went back to the roots and added the iconic shaker hood to atop of a healthy HEMI engine and R/T options package. We will take ours in Plum Crazy Pearl.

9. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X ($35,095) – Vintage SUV's are the fastest growing segment and Jeep leads that pack. While more comfortable than its bare bones workhorse ancestor, the Rubicon X is highly capable for not a lot of money. Many of these now compete at events, which means they will one day command respect at vintage off-road demonstrations.

10. Ford Fiesta ST ($21,400) – Following the enthusiasm surrounding the Focus ST, the little brother Fiesta ST has been pumping the same iron. Youthful buyers attracted to compact cars don't always want to sacrifice performance. The Fiesta looks, sounds and acts the part of a modern day enthusiast's car.

Based in Traverse City, Michigan, Hagerty is the world's leading insurance provider for classic vehicles and host to the largest network of classic car owners. Hagerty offers insurance for classic cars, trucks, motorcycles and motorcycle safety equipment, tractors, automotive tools and spare parts, and even "automobilia" (any historic or collectible item linked with motor vehicles). Hagerty also offers overseas shipping/touring insurance coverage, commercial coverage and club liability coverage. For more information, call (800) 922-4050 or visit www.hagerty.com.

AlphaSnake

Seeing things like the 370Z being a leader in resale/residual compared to the Audi A5 and BMW 3-series and the above makes me wonder if I should keep my Z.

ascii42

That's funny. Yeah, I was wondering whether the Olds would start up this morning, since the interior lights didn't come on when I opened the door. Fortunately it did, but it wasn't loving the cold, particularly when I was idling. My window moved comically slowly when I rolled it down. I keep wondering how many more up-and-downs the motor has in it.

cube444

Considering that my car is a diesel, it started up no problem last Friday and today with temps at around -23.5 C and -10 F. Saw the glow plug symbol for like a half second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom