• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Right, but rubber doesn't mean low profile tires!

What are the OEM tire sizes on your car now?

That short wheelbase of yours will need rear width with power, otherwise it may be an oversteering handful. It may necessitate a trade-off...lower profile for traction.

How bad are Portland roads anyway?

No Love

Banned
Right, but rubber doesn't mean low profile tires!
FYI if you want good tires on an E30 you have to run 17's. I ran 16" Style 5's on my E30 with S50 swap and had 205mm 595,RSRs on them. They ran wide, about 220mm.

You gotta do 17's. Period. either use 4x100 to 5x120 converters or do a 5 lug swap... or get 4x100 rims. Or fill and drill some 17's you like. Tons of possibilities!

No Love

Banned
Also I decided to grab both my friend's M3... and an E39 M5.

Now before Yuri jumps on me, hear me out: 2003 M5, 120k miles, one female owner for the last 10 years. Its my roommates sister's friend. Shes about to buy the new M5 and cant justify keeping the E39 even though she loves it. She has all maintenance records and the worst problem the car had in its history was the front seat motors going out. Thats it. Its fucking mint and I drove it tonight. Felt great. Very solid car. Its in 9/10,condition.

The kicker? She only wants $12k for it. Im gonna jump on it. Finding a car with one female owner, all records, mint condition and no problems is amazing. And dat price...

Smokey

I have Pilot Super Sports on my 335 now. Think it's coming up on replacement time. What tire is a tier below, but still a good performer? The PSS cost a good grip.

On another note, been pretty impressed with the interior of the 2014 Accord coupe I got my fiance. She digs it too. Plenty of leg room in the back for passengers as well.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What are the OEM tire sizes on your car now?

That short wheelbase of yours will need rear width with power, otherwise it may be an oversteering handful. It may necessitate a trade-off...lower profile for traction.

How bad are Portland roads anyway?
Shit. Previous infrastructure commissioner spent billions on public transit projects that are barely being used today.

FYI if you want good tires on an E30 you have to run 17's. I ran 16" Style 5's on my E30 with S50 swap and had 205mm 595,RSRs on them. They ran wide, about 220mm.

You gotta do 17's. Period. either use 4x100 to 5x120 converters or do a 5 lug swap... or get 4x100 rims. Or fill and drill some 17's you like. Tons of possibilities!

Good to know. I haven't made any definite plans. I want CSL style rims, and I think those just might come in 17s.

AlphaSnake

Shit. Previous infrastructure commissioner spent billions on public transit projects that are barely being used today.

Good to know. I haven't made any definite plans. I want CSL style rims, and I think those just might come in 17s.

1) LOL. That sucks. I know the feels though coming from NY.

2) Good. See the light, dear friend.

At least that is a better than the situation in MI. Shit roads and no public transport. They got this idea to create a bicycle lane on the right by just using white paint. It shifted everything, so what was previously a ridge between lanes now falls under your left tire and fucks it up.

TylerD

Also I decided to grab both my friend's M3... and an E39 M5.

Now before Yuri jumps on me, hear me out: 2003 M5, 120k miles, one female owner for the last 10 years. Its my roommates sister's friend. Shes about to buy the new M5 and cant justify keeping the E39 even though she loves it. She has all maintenance records and the worst problem the car had in its history was the front seat motors going out. Thats it. Its fucking mint and I drove it tonight. Felt great. Very solid car. Its in 9/10,condition.

The kicker? She only wants $12k for it. Im gonna jump on it. Finding a car with one female owner, all records, mint condition and no problems is amazing. And dat price...

Everything is going to break!

Sounds awesome man. What colors are the Ms?

--------------

I got invited to a Christmas party by a coworker and met one of his relatives. We talked cars and I found out he has access to a work bay with tools. 25x40 ft and he would let me use it for 20 bucks a day to work on my car. They don't have a lift but that is a minor inconvenience, being able to detail or work inside in a clean environment is going to be sweet.

No Love

Banned
Everything is going to break!

Sounds awesome man. What colors are the Ms?

--------------

I got invited to a Christmas party by a coworker and met one of his relatives. We talked cars and I found out he has access to a work bay with tools. 25x40 ft and he would let me use it for 20 bucks a day to work on my car. They don't have a lift but that is a minor inconvenience, being able to detail or work inside in a clean environment is going to be sweet.

Do it!!

Oh, and as for color of the cars... they look just like this:

Estoril-Blue-BMW-M3-E36-By-Ciprian-Mihai-04.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

I am going to have Castro Motorsports do a PPI on it. Might be able to talk the lady down to $10k or less if it needs some new suspension bits or something. :) She should be ready to sell it in January.

TxdoHawk

Picked up on Xmas Eve. I'm a happy camper, been wanting one since the redesign.

It definitely feels "big" in turns compared to my Altima. And wow, when you floor the pedal it feels like you are splat on the side of a boulder launched out of a catapult. I can only imagine what the SRT is like.

TylerD

Picked up on Xmas Eve. I'm a happy camper, been wanting one since the redesign.

It definitely feels "big" in turns compared to my Altima. And wow, when you floor the pedal it feels like you are splat on the side of a boulder launched out of a catapult. I can only imagine what the SRT is like.

Congrats! Looks like it is wearing a tuxedo, pretty classy. That a 300C so it has a hemi right?

AlphaSnake

I think the 300Cs have a C and Hemi badge on the side on the fenders. So I'm guessing this is a base 300HP car?

Ty4on

Mint E39 M5 for that price... I'd be lucky to find a mint and well equipped E39 520i/523i/525i for the same :(
Hope you'll enjoy it. That engine has such a nice note and the car overall is just really classy and stylish.
I don't understand what the big deal about getting 17" rims is.
They look ugly on old cars and I'm probably wrong, but aren't low profile tires awful on bad roads?

reilo

I don't understand what the big deal about getting 17" rims is.
You have to keep geometry and physics in mind. You can't just throw bigger rims on a car that wasn't designed with them in mind. It changes the dynamics and you gotta mod for it.

AlphaSnake

You have to keep geometry and physics in mind. You can't just throw bigger rims on a car that wasn't designed with them in mind. It changes the dynamics and you gotta mod for it.

As long as the ratios remain the same, you're fine. I understand side wall will decrease, but the biggest worry there is pothole damage and a rougher ride. Everything else will be an improvement dynamically.

Edit: 215/40/17 should be fine for the car.

No Love

Banned
As long as the ratios remain the same, you're fine. I understand side wall will decrease, but the biggest worry there is pothole damage and a rougher ride. Everything else will be an improvement dynamically.

Edit: 215/40/17 should be fine for the car.

It won't. I was running around that size on 16" wheels... and with 230 whp/220 wtq in a 2600 lb E30, I had traction issues. More power than that? You're in trouble. Gotta try to fit 255-275's in the rear, which can be a pain.

AlphaSnake

It won't. I was running around that size on 16" wheels... and with 230 whp/220 wtq in a 2600 lb E30, I had traction issues. More power than that? You're in trouble. Gotta try to fit 255-275's in the rear, which can be a pain.

I meant ratio wise it's the correct plus size. Going past 245 on E30s requires some suspension changes, I believe.

reilo

You also have to take unsprung weight into consideration and how it affects the suspension.

AlphaSnake

You also have to take unsprung weight into consideration and how it affects the suspension.

It shouldn't be that big of a difference. Kumho, which makes one 14'' tire in the E30's OEM size weighs 18lbs. A Michelin Super Sport in 17 weighs 22lbs.

Yours rims, though, yeah, they'll gain some weight. But they also may not, since wheels use to be heavy as hell back in those days and used heavier metals.

No Love

Banned
Aww yeah, that new BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe...

http://jalopnik.com/the-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-is-the-4-series-sedan-weve-1490314725

*may not be official, but continues to confirm how stupid BMW's naming system has become.

BMW is literally a parody of themselves.

So allow me to outline the absurdity of their naming scheme: the 3 series coupe is a 4 series because they split them into their own models, ala 5 series (sedan) and 6 (coupe) series. The 3 series is a sedan.

Ok, so following all this logic, a 4 series Gran Coupe is a 4 series coupe with 4 doors, ala 6 Gran Coupe. So... wouldn't a 4 series Gran Coupe just be a 3 series?

Lol.

AlphaSnake

Can we just mock this guy for a little bit?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamesmielke/status/417001489316724736

Putting aside the gag-inducing chrome vinyl, anybody who calls a Lamborghini Aventador obnoxious is either a Greenpeace member or jealous of that V12 symphony and sad that they don't have $400K to drop on one.

Or they're just a hipster.

Twitter dude is a moron, plain and simple.

I actually know the owner of that car personally. Bryan Solomone, he's a divorce lawyer in Long Island, NY. Nice guy, but incredibly flashy. Has a stupid hot Dominican wife (he calls her "Concubine"). He completed the Bullrun from NY to Los Angeles in his Aventador coupe, put over 4000 miles on it in a span of 10 days. His car had over 25K miles in just a year. LOL

He even flew his car to Italy for the 50th Anniversary drive and show Lamborghini held this year.

His coupe was every bit as flashy as this new roadster of his. If you google the name, you'll see a ton of his Twit pics, FB profile, etc.

AlphaSnake

Bryan is an awesome gearhead, plain and simple, for driving his cars and putting some serious mileage on them. :)

Yeah, I think he gave his wife the green Gallardo LP560-4, he still has a yellow Bentley Continental GT, and a Lotus.

Twitter dude is a moron, plain and simple.

I actually know the owner of that car personally. Bryan Solomone, he's a divorce lawyer in Long Island, NY. Nice guy, but incredibly flashy. Has a stupid hot Dominican wife (he calls her "Concubine"). He completed the Bullrun from NY to Los Angeles in his Aventador coupe, put over 4000 miles on it in a span of 10 days. His car had over 25K miles in just a year. LOL

He even flew his car to Italy for the 50th Anniversary drive and show Lamborghini held this year.

His coupe was every bit as flashy as this new roadster of his. If you google the name, you'll see a ton of his Twit pics, FB profile, etc.

Ha, isn't that the "most stereotypical lambo owner" guy? I think I read he's selling his chrome aventador.

AlphaSnake

Ha, isn't that the "most stereotypical lambo owner" guy? I think I read he's selling his chrome aventador.

Yes, it's him.

But he isn't the most stereotypical owner. Guy gives away tens of thousands of dollars to charities every year. Holds fundraisers. Participates in organizations.

He's eccentric and a bit hard to stomach for some, but no doubt a genuinely nice guy. Like I said, I know the man and he's a very good guy. Most Lambo owners won't let you touch or breathe near their cars, he'll leave his doors open and lets anyone sit in it if you ask to see the interior.

Yes, it's him.

But he isn't the most stereotypical owner. Guy gives away tens of thousands of dollars to charities every year. Holds fundraisers. Participates in organizations.

He's eccentric and a bit hard to stomach for some, but no doubt a genuinely nice guy. Like I said, I know the man and he's a very good guy. Most Lambo owners won't let you touch or breathe near their cars, he'll leave his doors open and lets anyone sit in it if you ask to see the interior.

Not trying to make it sound like I thought he was a bad guy, just remember his name and lambo from an auto site. Good for him, glad he's a nice dude.

KemoSabe

Yes, it's him.

lol, he surely isnt doing this charity stuff for tax reasons or just to get a good reputation...

tbh, the lambo looks awful as fuck.
taste is something that cant be bought with money-

Has anyone seen these chrome wrapped cars in real life? Are they a pain to other drivers on sunny days?

lol, he surely isnt doing this charity stuff for tax reasons or just to get a good reputation...

Did he run over your dog in that lambo?

AlphaSnake

Err...reputation? Bruh, he was doing all of this before he had online "cred". He had family members he lost to certain illnesses and those are his focus.

Stop being a hating ass biatch and calm yourself. It's not a good look on you.

No Love

Banned

Err...reputation? Bruh, he was doing all of this before he had online "cred". He had family members he lost to certain illnesses and those are his focus.

Stop being a hating ass biatch and calm yourself. It's not a good look on you.

Did Kemo get juniored for that? LOL

Bryan posted this video of how people were running up the block to record his Lambo.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=675522439137915&set=vb.100000404968006&type=2&theater

Hilarious.

Edit: I just realized that Twitter account belongs to EGM's Milkman? FeneticFox on GAF. LOL. Figures it'd be a GAFer who would be this salty.

Wow, Milkman is indeed a hatin' ass bitch. :\ Kinda sad.

So I just got another "We have no legal backing for this, but please send us your money" red light ticket from the city of Arlington, Texas. The last one I got was pretty blatant in that I just blew right through it (cross-traffic was on a left turn arrow and my light had just gone red), but this one I don't know. I could almost argue it at an administrative hearing if I really wanted to but I'm just not going to pay.

Now sure, I didn't come to a complete stop, but I'd like to know how, exactly, the camera knew I wasn't going to come to a complete stop before I ever crossed the white line. Please don't internet detective me, but for people who want to see the video here you go. I'd like to hear your take on it.

Go to www.violationinfo.com and use notice #: 0381300971094, PIN: 8178. There are a couple of pictures and a video. I'd like to point out that the person who immediately follows me through the intersection doesn't trigger the light.

The long and short of it is that I'm not going to pay it because the only recourse Texas has is that I can't register my car in that county next year. Seeing as how I just sold it...

Edit: I am going to request a hearing though and just not go. I'm leaving Texas in a week so I don't care, and I'm happy to employ any way I can to make this shady shit more difficult for them.

coldfoot

Banned
So I just got another "We have no legal backing for this, but please send us your money" red light ticket from the city of Arlington, Texas. The last one I got was pretty blatant in that I just blew right through it (cross-traffic was on a left turn arrow and my light had just gone red), but this one I don't know. I could almost argue it at an administrative hearing if I really wanted to but I'm just not going to pay.

Now sure, I didn't come to a complete stop, but I'd like to know how, exactly, the camera knew I wasn't going to come to a complete stop before I ever crossed the white line. Please don't internet detective me, but for people who want to see the video here you go. I'd like to hear your take on it.

Go to www.violationinfo.com and use notice #: 0381300971094, PIN: 8178. There are a couple of pictures and a video. I'd like to point out that the person who immediately follows me through the intersection doesn't trigger the light.

The long and short of it is that I'm not going to pay it because the only recourse Texas has is that I can't register my car in that county next year. Seeing as how I just sold it...

Edit: I am going to request a hearing though and just not go. I'm leaving Texas in a week so I don't care, and I'm happy to employ any way I can to make this shady shit more difficult for them.
I would not pay it out of simple principle that they have the video in AVI format that won't play on Macs with 10.9 since flip4mac now comes with its own player. AVI needs to die in a fire.

I would not pay it out of simple principle that they have the video in AVI format that won't play on Macs with 10.9 since flip4mac now comes with its own player. AVI needs to die in a fire.

Hahaha yeah I can't remember what I had to do but it was a pain in the ass to get that thing to play on my computer (Windows 7) at all.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

I have one of these too. I'm looking at this, and I think I'm going to use my Sixth Amendment rights to confront my accuser and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom