• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
XSP-N1BT_Angle_with_Xperia_Blue_MED-size-1024x772.jpg

sony bringing maybe the first smartphone cradle reciever. $250.

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-announces-the-first-smartphone-cradle-receiver/

Say hello to the new Supra(?)!

2015-Lexus-RC-F-1-md.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-F-2-md.jpg

It supposedly has a reworked version of the excellent V8 found in the IS-F, paired with the excellent 8 speed auto from the IS-F as well... this might give the M3/M4 a run for it's money if Lexus nails this, and just going by the IS-F, it certainly is possible. I also really like how it looks especially that grille. It looks ugly on their normal cars, but it fits really well with the RC-F for some reason.

I'm kidding about the Supra part as it supposedly is coming thanks to that joint venture with BMW, but you might as well call this a Supra anyway as it pretty much is a brand new Supra disguised as a Lexus.

No Love

Banned

2015-Lexus-RC-F-1-md.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-F-2-md.jpg

It supposedly has a reworked version of the excellent V8 found in the IS-F, paired with the excellent 8 speed auto from the IS-F as well... this might give the M3/M4 a run for it's money if Lexus nails this, and just going by the IS-F, it certainly is possible. I also really like how it looks especially that grille. It looks ugly on their normal cars, but it fits really well with the RC-F for some reason.

I'm kidding about the Supra part as it supposedly is coming thanks to that joint venture with BMW, but you might as well call this a Supra anyway as it pretty much is a brand new Supra disguised as a Lexus.

Oh God. That looks amazing. My girlfriend is really wanna get that bad. And considering she's gotten a massive raise this year, she'll probably get it too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

2015-Lexus-RC-F-1-md.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-F-2-md.jpg

I saw the leaks of this car from a few weeks ago...and yeah, looks stupendous. The few cars in Lexus' stable that the grille works on. I may reaaaaally consider this because the interiors of new Lexus' look great.

rokkerkory

2015-Lexus-RC-F-1-md.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-F-2-md.jpg

Glad they kept and made the V8 better. Looks pretty nice esp the interior. I hope the 8spd is as good as a DCT.

But does it have real tail pipes? :D

AlphaSnake

Glad they kept and made the V8 better. Looks pretty nice esp the interior. I hope the 8spd is as good as a DCT.

But does it have real tail pipes? :D

They're not integrated into the bumper, and you can see them running to their individual muffler canisters, so yes they aren't faux-tips.

rokkerkory

They're not integrated into the bumper, and you can see them running to their individual muffler canisters, so yes they aren't faux-tips.

I know, I was just jesting.

I am really happy Lexus is stepping their game up. Even the new IS is very nice competitor to 3 series, C class, etc.

This makes me itch to upgrade.

ku-xlarge.jpg

so many physical buttons!

Anybody drive a recent lexus? how is there entertainment reciever thing? Don't they use something similar to bmw and what not with the trackball/mouse kinda thing?

Requiem

Question for you fellas, has anyone here ever purchased a vehicle that was reported stolen on a CarFax?

I'm looking at a couple G35 coupes and while everything else on the reports look good, the fact it was reported stolen is really nagging me. Is there anything I'd need to be aware of or look out for?

Wtf wha?

How's that rock of yours that you've been living under? Harris' Drive videos are some of the most popular on YouTube for the past 2 years or so...

no drive does actual reviews now with scores and shit.

He didn't even attempt to get that volt sideways.

Question for you fellas, has anyone here ever purchased a vehicle that was reported stolen on a CarFax?

I'm looking at a couple G35 coupes and while everything else on the reports look good, the fact it was reported stolen is really nagging me. Is there anything I'd need to be aware of or look out for?

Nothing really more than the usual stuff you get a trustworthy mechanic to go through.

AlphaSnake

no drive does actual reviews now with scores and shit.

He didn't even attempt to get that volt sideways.

A review is a review with or without scores...he's been doing them for ages.

And who cares how he drove the car? GT86 culture right thurr.

No Love

Banned

Yeah, exactly. Who the fuck wants a Volt going sideways in a review? The car will never be used like that. It'd be like trying to get an SUV to go sideways... unlikely to happen EVER in the car's usage. It has zero sportiness to it.

I hope the 8spd is as good as a DCT.

If it's the same as the IS-F then yeah, it'll be as good. It's probably one of the best torque converters in existence.

More news:

New Mazda Miata info and what's this... an RX-7 revival?!

Sadly, no real info yet until the magazine comes out. And yeah, if that's how the car is gonna look like, I might be out... that looks horrible mash up of an F-Type and a Miata. @___@

But, there's some info about the new Miata:

Okay. I can't say much and what I will say is veiled. Please don't be offended. I have to be careful with the little info that is fed my way. I am not told to tell others so I always wait until I judge it is okay and weigh the value of the information and it's level of confidentiality.

Months ago I hinted that it was far along. I can now say that, for all intents and purposes, it is done; the ND that is. It won't be long before Mazda shows their hand. I was told by one insider that it's a 'looker'. He said something else similar but I don't even want to quote with exact words.

Another insider has indicated that we will get the engine that I have been saying all along. Don't expect gobs of power but do expect a great engine and a lighter chassis. Other markets may still get a 'lesser' engine.

Expect this car to be released in the earlier areas of people's guessing .

Sorry for speaking in code but it's not too difficult to figure out EVERYTHING I just said.

Nothing totally new; just pleasant, confirming info. I hope you all are as excited as I am.

This comes from I believe the owner of a Mazda parts distributor... it was posted on the Miata forums a couple of days ago. Rumors point to a Detroit or Chicago reveal, but they are rumors of course, so we'll see.

Ty4on

Yeah, exactly. Who the fuck wants a Volt going sideways in a review? The car will never be used like that. It'd be like trying to get an SUV to go sideways... unlikely to happen EVER in the car's usage. It has zero sportiness to it.

It isn't a "Chris Harris on Cars" video. Content wise those were amazing because Chris went so in depth at the key areas and almost took us for a ride, but in this video all he really says is the car is quiet. The actual video isn't even 3 minutes long!

There's nothing wrong with reviewing the Volt, but I find it kind of worrying that he is doing short reviews like this. He did sound happy so hopefully he will be on longer videos.

J-Rzez

New TT interior is god damn incredible. Next-gen Audi interiors are going to embarrass most of the market again if that's any indication.

Just like how they'll embarrass themselves with their exteriors. Wake me up when they bring back the quattro, legitimately.

All that RC-F does is makes me want a new legit Supra.

STI looks disappointing period. Maybe its performance will warrant a look though since people had a lot of good to say about the WRX performance.

Glad I held off on going for a Boss, the Eco Boost 2015 beat it around their track. The 5.0 is going to give some serious performance for the money, let alone any special models they have coming off of it. I have a feeling its going to shock some people. And L.O.L. at the people saying the interior is trash... Its a Mustang people.

TomServo

Just like how they'll embarrass themselves with their exteriors. Wake me up when they bring back the quattro, legitimately.

Says the guy talking about the 2015 Mustang. Now *that's* how a company can embarrass itself with exterior design.

KingGondo

Banned
Still trying to sort out my turbo mess.

I've confirmed with several other shops that the dealer price for a turbo is around $1000, so my current mechanic (who I trust and have used for a long time) is charging me the dealer price plus the standard markup. In addition, there's a 2-year warranty attached, which makes me feel better about going through him.

I posted a help wanted thread on NASIOC and got a response from somebody from Quebec, who has a turbocharger with 30k miles on it, for (presumably) much cheaper. I've also found some on eBay, but getting a new one from a reputable aftermarket supplier will still cost me at least $850.

Basically, I'm stuck between buying a cheaper or aftermarket option and getting it installed by someone I don't trust or know, or paying a premium for a part with a warranty from a mechanic I trust.

Sucks, basically.

At this point, I'm bringing my car in Monday morning to my normal mechanic so he can confirm what the problem is, then we'll go from there. I'll probably just try to get him to give me a break on the cost of the part since I've given him so much business in the past.

No Love

Banned
Still trying to sort out my turbo mess.

I've confirmed with several other shops that the dealer price for a turbo is around $1000, so my current mechanic (who I trust and have used for a long time) is charging me the dealer price plus the standard markup. In addition, there's a 2-year warranty attached, which makes me feel better about going through him.

I posted a help wanted thread on NASIOC and got a response from somebody from Quebec, who has a turbocharger with 30k miles on it, for (presumably) much cheaper. I've also found some on eBay, but getting a new one from a reputable aftermarket supplier will still cost me at least $850.

Basically, I'm stuck between buying a cheaper or aftermarket option and getting it installed by someone I don't trust or know, or paying a premium for a part with a warranty from a mechanic I trust.

Sucks, basically.

At this point, I'm bringing my car in Monday morning to my normal mechanic so he can confirm what the problem is, then we'll go from there. I'll probably just try to get him to give me a break on the cost of the part since I've given him so much business in the past.

Dude... just buy a used one. A turbo is not some magical piece of armor in an RPG lol, they are pretty basic and it's fine to get a used one. Just ask the guy to show you there's no shaft play. And if he has a good reputation on NASIOC, go through him.

Don't pay for a new one. You can get a better AFTERMARKET turbo for $1k that'll give you more power if tuned for it... so why pay that much for an OEM one?

KingGondo

Banned
Dude... just buy a used one. A turbo is not some magical piece of armor in an RPG lol, they are pretty basic and it's fine to get a used one. Just ask the guy to show you there's no shaft play. And if he has a good reputation on NASIOC, go through him.

Don't pay for a new one. You can get a better AFTERMARKET turbo for $1k that'll give you more power if tuned for it... so why pay that much for an OEM one?
The issue is finding someone to install it that I can trust. I found a cheaper mechanic who doesn't have the necessary tools to remove a Subaru turbo, and I have yet to find an aftermarket tuning shop that has a good reputation in my area.

Having the peace of mind that it's covered if anything goes wrong in the next couple of years is worth a lot to me.

Like I said though--the first step is getting the problem diagnosed for sure. I feel pretty confident I can get my mechanic down on the price, especially since I'll probably have him install a new up pipe at the same time.

I'll update you after I get it checked out on Monday. Thanks for your advice so far, I really appreciate it.

TylerD

It isn't a "Chris Harris on Cars" video. Content wise those were amazing because Chris went so in depth at the key areas and almost took us for a ride, but in this video all he really says is the car is quiet. The actual video isn't even 3 minutes long!

There's nothing wrong with reviewing the Volt, but I find it kind of worrying that he is doing short reviews like this. He did sound happy so hopefully he will be on longer videos.

JF Musial said on Twitter that these Test\Drive videos are not going to interfere with or replace any of the other content they are putting out. These are meant more for consumers and they are just trying to expand what they offer.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The issue is finding someone to install it that I can trust. I found a cheaper mechanic who doesn't have the necessary tools to remove a Subaru turbo, and I have yet to find an aftermarket tuning shop that has a good reputation in my area.

Having the peace of mind that it's covered if anything goes wrong in the next couple of years is worth a lot to me.

Like I said though--the first step is getting the problem diagnosed for sure. I feel pretty confident I can get my mechanic down on the price, especially since I'll probably have him install a new up pipe at the same time.

I'll update you after I get it checked out on Monday. Thanks for your advice so far, I really appreciate it.

Call these guys and see what they say: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Cobb-Tuning-Plano-s/70465.htm

As someone who's car was stolen, recovered with minor body damage, and restored to dealer condition, just get an independent mechanic to check over it. I would also check to see how long the owner who had it stolen kept it. Might be indicative of something.

It shouldn't be an automatic disqualification (much like accidents nowadays), just make sure you get an appropriate price.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
will be getting a new used car in the nearish future and would like to get either a evo or sti. any particular years that i should look for or avoid for either make? as far the evo goes, gsr/mr recommendations?

Viperbah

Fuck

The zr1 possibilities o_o

Yeah. I am 50/50 if GM will do another ZR1, if they do im sure it will be north of 700 hp.

I have a feeling the rumor mixed up the hp and tq, but I guess we will see on Monday. If not, then the LT4 is going to be a monster with minimal mods.

The numbers for these new cars are crazy now, I feel like even the base C7 is too much car for 90% of people that buy it.

will be getting a new used car in the nearish future and would like to get either a evo or sti. any particular years that i should look for or avoid for either make? as far the evo goes, gsr/mr recommendations?

Evo 9 is a better car, but the Evo X is a more comfortable car to live with.

FUUU... 67k miles and the shocks are leaking. :(

Dealer wants me to pay $900 bucks to replace them.

Thankfully Cobb Plano and Track Dog Racing are 45 minutes away from me, I'm probably gonna give them a call next week after I decide if I go for aftermarket shocks or stay with the OEM Bilsteins Mazda installed.

FUUU... 67k miles and the shocks are leaking. :(

Dealer wants me to pay $900 bucks to replace them.

Thankfully Cobb Plano and Track Dog Racing are 45 minutes away from me, I'm probably gonna give them a call next week after I decide if I go for aftermarket shocks or stay with the OEM Bilsteins Mazda installed.

That seems rather high, even for a dealer. Or is that for all four?

That seems rather high, even for a dealer. Or is that for all four?

Oops, yeah, it's all four shocks unfortunately.

Btw, how long can I run these shocks before they completely fail?

There's a .001% chance I'll be able to buy the shocks this month, maybe at the end of February at the latest... am I gonna break more things if I keep running them?

AlphaSnake

There's a .001% chance I'll be able to buy the shocks this month, maybe at the end of February at the latest... am I gonna break more things if I keep running them?

Not really. Your car is just going to ride like absolute shit. Incredibly harsh. It won't stop bouncing on the roads and highways - it's going to feel like you're driving on a water bed. Turning will be scary, as your body will lean sideways like all hell the worse it gets.

Are those the original shocks from the factory?

I don't think it will lead to any immediate catastrophic failures but you will definitely notice worse braking and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom