• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
will be getting a new used car in the nearish future and would like to get either a evo or sti. any particular years that i should look for or avoid for either make? as far the evo goes, gsr/mr recommendations?

lol just realized the new sti pretty much looks like an evo and sti had some kind of kinky baby.

No Love

Banned
FUUU... 67k miles and the shocks are leaking. :(

Dealer wants me to pay $900 bucks to replace them.

Thankfully Cobb Plano and Track Dog Racing are 45 minutes away from me, I'm probably gonna give them a call next week after I decide if I go for aftermarket shocks or stay with the OEM Bilsteins Mazda installed.

Just get aftermarket Bilsteins. They will be the same/better than OEM. Plus for your car they're probably only $300-500.

No Love

Banned
will be getting a new used car in the nearish future and would like to get either a evo or sti. any particular years that i should look for or avoid for either make? as far the evo goes, gsr/mr recommendations?

Evo >>>> STI any day. Get an Evo X, they are more comfortable and easier to drive for a newb. Also probably easier to find a well-treated one over 8's and 9's.

Plan to put about $2-3k into modding it to extract another 80-140 whp.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Evo >>>> STI any day. Get an Evo X, they are more comfortable and easier to drive for a newb. Also probably easier to find a well-treated one over 8's and 9's.

Plan to put about $2-3k into modding it to extract another 80-140 whp.

leaning towards an evo because they don't seem anywhere near as common up here, look sharp, and seem to run several thousand less than a comparable sti.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
True story:

When I was a boater kid at the age of 7, straight off the plane from Mother Russia and learning English, I pronounced "Dodge" as "Dod-Gee". Not "Gee" like "gee wiz!", but almost exactly like the doge meme, but with a D.

21 years later, people don't believe me when I tell them I'm Russian. It may also be the lack of vodka consumption, though. You silly Americans think we walk around with Vodka drip IVs. :p

Not really. Your car is just going to ride like absolute shit. Incredibly harsh. It won't stop bouncing on the roads and highways - it's going to feel like you're driving on a water bed. Turning will be scary, as your body will lean sideways like all hell the worse it gets.

At least it'll be bouncy lol. When they were still good the ride was really stiff, maybe my Miata will actually be comfortable now haha.

Are those the original shocks from the factory?

I don't think it will lead to any immediate catastrophic failures but you will definitely notice worse braking and handling.

Yup. OEM shocks from 2005 lol.

I might actually just grab the Bilstein shocks and springs from newer Miata's, it'd be cheaper too. And since a lot of them buy them and upgrade the suspension immediately, there's a lot of them in decent shape as well. But we'll see how it goes. I still want a sportier suspension of course.

AlphaSnake

At least it'll be bouncy lol. When they were still good the ride was really stiff, maybe my Miata will actually be comfortable now haha.

You're confusing bouncy for soft. Your ride will be extreeeeeeeeemely jarring. The car will crash over every single bump, pothole, and imperfection. The springs will compress together until the metal coils crash and stop your suspension from traveling.

Lizardus

How much is the Alpha 4C expected to increase in weight for the NA markets? I am getting a Elise 2.0 vibe from it, 4 banger, exotic looks, lightweight, relatively cheap. Anyone interested in them? How is Alfa for reliability?

You're confusing bouncy for soft. Your ride will be extreeeeeeeeemely jarring. The car will crash over every single bump, pothole, and imperfection. The springs will compress together until the metal coils crash and stop your suspension from traveling.

Lol I was being sarcastic in that comment. I do know what you mean though. Maybe it's a placebo effect coz I know my suspension is shot, but it definitely felt more harsher tonight than yesterday. -___-

That said my friend said she didn't notice anything different in the ride tonight and last night, so it really might be a placebo effect lol.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
How much is the Alpha 4C expected to increase in weight for the NA markets? I am getting a Elise 2.0 vibe from it, 4 banger, exotic looks, lightweight, relatively cheap. Anyone interested in them? How is Alfa for reliability?

I think about 100 pounds weight gain, and if you're asking about how reliable Alfa Romeos are... :jnc

No Love

Banned
leaning towards an evo because they don't seem anywhere near as common up here, look sharp, and seem to run several thousand less than a comparable sti.
Do it. Evo is also a lot more reliable than the STI. No ringland issues or other horrifying EJ25 engine kaboom issues.

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: This Is it

rgXJ98c.jpg

qp6QFOo.jpg

svpJJmq.jpg

Looks fucking hot. Sad as I am to see them ditch the LS7 for a supercharged mill, I cannot wait to see this thing stuff GT3s, 458s, and GT-Rs into their lockers and steal their lunch money.

AlphaSnake

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: This Is it

rgXJ98c.jpg

qp6QFOo.jpg

svpJJmq.jpg

Looks fucking hot. Sad as I am to see them ditch the LS7 for a supercharged mill, I cannot wait to see this thing stuff GT3s, 458s, and GT-Rs into their lockers and steal their lunch money.

I'm surprised not many people are noticing the very odd transmission shifter (with a shift knob that clearly shows an H-gate)...and the PADDLE SHIFTERS on the steering wheel. Also, notice the odd placement of the shifter...look how huge the leather boot is? It looks like the shifter is in park, as opposed to 3rd gear. It sure as hell isn't in neutral.

So what the fuck is this sorcery? Is this car going to have a DCT and 7MT option? Some sort of trick clutchless gearbox?

Here's a higher-res shot:

original.jpg

I'm surprised not many people are noticing the very odd transmission shifter (with a shift knob that clearly shows an H-gate)...and the PADDLE SHIFTERS on the steering wheel. Also, notice the odd placement of the shifter...look how huge the leather boot is? It looks like the shifter is in park, as opposed to 3rd gear. It sure as hell isn't in neutral.

So what the fuck is this sorcery? Is this car going to have a DCT and 7MT option? Some sort of trick clutchless gearbox?

preeetty sure stingray 'paddles' are just cruise control controls lol. a bit confusing.

cube444

It is most likely a DCT:

Link

Even the hood looks taller in order to make room for the supercharger. That's to be expected though with those power numbers.

ku-xlarge.jpg

No Love

Banned
I'm buying one. Just need it in manual with light options. Its going to be a rocketship after I convert it to E85 and stuff another 150 whp into it.

Banglish

Dat angry vette.
And I hope impreza sales are lack-luster. Not too lack-luster that they have no money for development, but to realize they dun fucked up.

Edit: Hardtop F-type.

xazWr6g.jpg

Goddamn.

TylerD

Me oh my that Z06 is fucking mean. I'm so ready for some Detroit auto show, first vehicle revealed will be the new F150 which based on the Atlas concept should be awesome.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Here's a higher-res shot:

original.jpg

Jalopnik claims it's an 8-speed auto.

Numbers like 620 HP, 635 lb-ft, and 8 gears, if Hot Rod magazine is to be believed. They apparently gave up the goat, before quickly pulling it down, according to C7StingrayForum.com.

The numbers are pretty much bang-on with what we heard earlier. In addition to a seven-speed manual transmission, the Z06 will actually be offering an eight-speed automatic, as well, in the form of the 8L90E.

Yes, an automatic. With a torque converter. That probably sounds absolutely crazy to all the Corvette traditionalists out there. Get used to it, traditionalists, because this is the future, and the future is about speed. And in the future, machines will always be faster than you.

The wheel and tire sizes are pulled straight from the last-generation ZR1, and since that car was never lacking in the rubber department, I doubt that will be a problem. Carbon fiber will likely abound as well, though so far the only confirmation we have is that the torque tube will be composed of the woven black stuff.

And the final detail to emerge (so far), is that three different trim-levels will be offered on the Z06 with varying aerodynamic goodies, with the top level being referred to as the Z07.

Everything that comes out keeps getting better and better. We'll update you when we hear more.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-corvette-z06-more-specs-leak-out-1499947862

No Love

Banned
Listen to this man!

High-five. And theyre doing the same shit with the shaky reliability factor of the new FRS/BRZ boxer motors.

The 4g63t is probably the most badass 4 cylinder ever made. Hondas K and F series (from S2000) are great motors too but the 4G63 comes turbo from the factory and is ready to handle monstrous power from the get go. Its just an insanely strong durable motor that makes crazy power with far less advanced techniques. I mean, it came out in '89, over 10 years before the S2000 F20 and came out and 13+ years before K20. The new Evo X 4B11T is rock solid too, just cant make as much power stock without blowing the bottom end.

Not to mention it costs half as much to mod an Evo. Subaru just isnt in the same category overall, and I highly recommend people do their own research and DD on the two cars before they compare them. Owning an Evo really opened my eyes as to which car was truly superior. :) Good luck to anyone that has to decide between the two.

I'm assuming there won't be a zr1 then.

I mean the z06 from what has been mentioned so far sounds completely insane. How much further can they take it before it becomes a safety issue lol. Hell you could argue for those that may buy this (older dudes) that could already been an issue!

It's certainly going to be interesting when these hit the used market since modern Vettes hold their value terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom