• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

Here is the next best selling vehicle in America. 700lbs lighter than outgoing model.

Ford-F-150-2015-hd.jpg

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2015/?hptid=bb-2197-f150-reveal

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/first-live-pics-of-the-2015-ford-f-150-1500113116

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It's a conventional automatic with a torque converter overseeing four gearsets and five clutches, and it's lighter than the six-speed in the Stingray while fitting in the same space. Chevrolet says there's no performance sacrifice, declaring that "wide-open-throttle upshifts executed up to eight-hundredths of a second quicker than the dual-clutch in the Porsche 911."

Hahaha holy shit.

They better bring those concepts over here at the Dallas Auto Show in a couple of months... I wanna see it in person.

I'm in love with that Supra concept.

The Kia coupe looks okay. I'd rather take a Genesis Coupe though if we're just going by looks.

Toyota style fails yet again. The Kia is nice.

the Toy reminds me of Panoz Abruzzi.
http://i.imgur.com/OiMXbOj.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

Kia has been making some decent looking cars in the last couple of MYs. I see a couple in my parking lot and am surprised when I see the badge.

I don't like this one too much though. The rear third reminds me of the Scion tC.

[quote="YuriLowell, post: 96960629"]They haven't said anything about engines have they?[/QUOTE]

Not for the FT-1.

Nissan's new Sport Sedan concept. No specs for this either.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3iNgAZC.jpg

3hEx45b.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-sports-sedan-concept-is-the-maximas-return-1500264483

They haven't said anything about engines have they?

I'm on mobile right now but I did see a video called "The Downshift" or something that was an 8 minute video all about the FT-1. At some point in the video they mention that they want to put an I6 in it. So there might be some hope on it lol.

I'm on mobile right now but I did see a video called "The Downshift" or something that was an 8 minute video all about the FT-1. At some point in the video they mention that they want to put an I6 in it. So there might be some hope on it lol.

they did say the concept was designed to be a front engine rwd. don't think they are at the step to think about engine yet.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
this image is starting to grow on me. makes me think all cars will look like this in 2020. need to see in person.

007-toyota-ft-1-concept-detroit-2014.png

and i imagine this to be what the g39 coupe front end would look like, if it were called a g39.
infiniti-q50-eau-rouge%20-%2001.jpg

really curious what differentiates a toyota sports car vs lexus. I mean it doesn't have to be cheaper (land cruiser vs lx470), but I'm having a hard time seeing a toyota sports car starting at over 50k with what lexus is up to these days.

Falch

Toyota FT1 looks fantastic to me.

When's a production model scheduled? 2016?

Going to the Brussels car show on thursday. It's no Detroit, but it's still quite nice.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not only is the M4 more powerful than the M3 Coupe it replaces, it's a good deal lighter, too. BMW has managed to cut 176 pounds of weight out of the M4, and that means, with the increased output numbers, that the M4 will scoot to 60 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds with the DCT or 4.1 seconds with the do-it-yourself tranny.

3,520lbs or about 100lbs heavier than the E46 M3 Coupe.

Shapingo

leaning towards an evo because they don't seem anywhere near as common up here, look sharp, and seem to run several thousand less than a comparable sti.

As an X owner I will have to tell you that the insurance will be higher on an Evo than an Sti. Also because my car does not warm up in the morning (short commute to work) You will see 12 mpg city regularly. Gas mileage on an Evo X goes from bad to LOL.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I wasn't too sure about the new Corvette look but the paint job on this one almost gives it that C3 profile with a slick futuristic fastback (even though it's actually a hatchback) and larger cab. 620 hp stock is wonderful. Pictures of that 376 in3 LT4 with it's tight intercooler imbedded blower have me day dreaming. I wonder how much actual hood space you've got in there.

2015-Corvette-Z06-Leaked.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
As an X owner I will have to tell you that the insurance will be higher on an Evo than an Sti. Also because my car does not warm up in the morning (short commute to work) You will see 12 mpg city regularly. Gas mileage on an Evo X goes from bad to LOL.

thanks. interesting the insurance is different. any idea why? also, lol at city mileage. no cities any where near me :)

ruxtpin

Banned
Curious -

Question for anyone here with an Audi/BMW/Lexus (any luxury brand for that matter) - are they cars that are easy to work on? Test drove a BMW and Audi a while back and I liked both of them, but I realize the cost of repairing a luxury car is a bit more when compared to non-luxury brands. If I had a modern luxury car break down, would I be shit out of luck because I didn't have all the special tools required to get to the stuff I needed to repair (I've heard it can even be a pain to get headlights fixed on the uppity brands).

I ask this question because I found out the mess with my Corolla is an intake manifold gasket that I can repair myself. I feel like, if I had a BMW or Audi, I don't I'd be able to make the same repair in my garage.

cube444

Curious -

Question for anyone here with an Audi/BMW/Lexus (any luxury brand for that matter) - are they cars that are easy to work on? Test drove a BMW and Audi a while back and I liked both of them, but I realize the cost of repairing a luxury car is a bit more when compared to non-luxury brands. If I had a modern luxury car break down, would I be shit out of luck because I didn't have all the special tools required to get to the stuff I needed to repair (I've heard it can even be a pain to get headlights fixed on the uppity brands).

I ask this question because I found out the mess with my Corolla is an intake manifold gasket that I can repair myself. I feel like, if I had a BMW or Audi, I don't I'd be able to make the same repair in my garage.

It depends how handy and knowledgeable you are and if you have access to a lift. I own a BMW under warranty but shudder at the thought of owning one without warranty.

No Love

Banned
Curious -

New German luxury cars are pretty much a nightmare to work on, need tons of proprietary tools + software to diagnose and repair, and are in general designed to fuck over the DIY mechanic.

Im not into cars, but my family has been for even before I was born. We had a family operated drag racing team. My dad was the driver, my uncle (his brother) was the mechanic, and my grandpa was the person who financed the whole thing. So the idea of people spending hours in the garage for fun isnt a new one to me. Working on cars brought peace of mind to these guys, it was a social experience for them, etc. To me being into cars mean you love spending a lot of time in a garage.

That was a long winded way of asking can people living in cities ( like San Fransisco, NY, Chicago, etc) rent garage space? I would imagine people who like to tune cars ( like the males in my family) would prefer to do custom work themselves.

cube444

New German luxury cars are pretty much a nightmare to work on, need tons of proprietary tools + software to diagnose and repair, and are in general designed to fuck over the DIY mechanic.

Pretty much. Throw in the ridiculous emission restrictions like SCR, DEF and DPF on my car and you're totally fucked. I was shocked last summer when my buddy popped the hood to his Genesis Coupe. That thing had so much space to work with and easily get to the DIY areas. Crazy.

Anything on the G37 Coupe replacement?

Infiniti is chasing the iPad crowd now.

More images of new Nissan Maxima... http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-sports-sedan-concept-is-the-maximas-return-1500264483

and some interior screen shots of the car: http://forums.maxima.org/8900349-post346.html

I don't like the front too much... :\ The rear is ok, but the incline is a bit much as it might be too hard to see the back.

What do you guys think?

If you took the word GARRISH, and turned the letter shapes into a front fascia it would look better than that.

\==\\GARRISH//==/
_\___\_______/__/_

asdad123

More images of new Nissan Maxima... http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-sports-sedan-concept-is-the-maximas-return-1500264483

and some interior screen shots of the car: http://forums.maxima.org/8900349-post346.html

I don't like the front too much... :\ The rear is ok, but the incline is a bit much as it might be too hard to see the back.

What do you guys think?

Bleh. It looks like a Hyundai veloster (probably the ugly orange... will reserve final judgment when I see different colors)

Lizardus

I thought the RC-F was supposed to be Supra...

Toyota is hitting it out of the park with the RC-F and FT-1.

Welcome back, now we just need Honda to awaken from its shitbox-coma.

they did say the concept was designed to be a front engine rwd. don't think they are at the step to think about engine yet.

Yup, but from that vid I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0T-eb1jrI&t=2m45s

I linked it to the appropriate time, but he basically says that he doesn't wanna say what engine is in it, but they wanted this concept at least to look like it has a straight 6 or some other similar engine.

Also, watch the whole vid if you haven't. It talks a lot about the FT-1 about how it came about and all that good stuff.

now we just need Honda to awaken from its shitbox-coma.

There's no hope for Honda anymore unfortunately.

Everyone's jumping on the RWD hype train meanwhile all they're doing is the hybrid NSX and a FWD hot hatch that won't even reach American shores. It's quite sad tbh. I would love to see Ayrton Senna's reaction to the Honda of today, I assume he'd be utterly disappointed.

cajunator

Banned
By the way, for THE BEST large press photos of new vehicle debuts you should check out www.netcarshow.com because they always have the good shit. Its my go-to site for new pictures. That includes new supercars and high end concepts.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
A fully loaded AWD V6 Chrysler 200C is about $38K. A fully loaded FWD Mercedes CLA is about $45K.

Which one would you rather get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom