• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
A fully loaded AWD V6 Chrysler 200C is about $38K. A fully loaded FWD Mercedes CLA is about $45K.

Which one would you rather get?

Whatever Jaguar comes out within that segment a year and a half from now.

robox

That was a long winded way of asking can people living in cities ( like San Fransisco, NY, Chicago, etc) rent garage space? I would imagine people who like to tune cars ( like the males in my family) would prefer to do custom work themselves.

yes there are businesses that rent out garage space, along with the tools. they aren't so common, but i know they exist
or sacrifice other things in life and just move to the suburbs

TylerD

Curious -

Question for anyone here with an Audi/BMW/Lexus (any luxury brand for that matter) - are they cars that are easy to work on? Test drove a BMW and Audi a while back and I liked both of them, but I realize the cost of repairing a luxury car is a bit more when compared to non-luxury brands. If I had a modern luxury car break down, would I be shit out of luck because I didn't have all the special tools required to get to the stuff I needed to repair (I've heard it can even be a pain to get headlights fixed on the uppity brands).

I ask this question because I found out the mess with my Corolla is an intake manifold gasket that I can repair myself. I feel like, if I had a BMW or Audi, I don't I'd be able to make the same repair in my garage.

I have an e46 330 coupe and it is honestly pretty easy to work on. There is a ton of DIY info on just about any job you want to do. That said, when I decide to get a newer German it would have to be a CPO, new or lease.

Cars in general are getting way more difficult to work on as they become more electronic.

ascii42

ATS Coupe

The logo has dropped the wreath, which is interesting. According to Cadillac, the 2L Turbo now develops 295 lb-ft of torque, and the ATS Coupe is lighter than the BMW 428i.

atc4.jpg

atc9.jpg

atc5.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/2015-cadillac-ats-coupe-favors-cleanliness-over-radical-lines/

yeah... 10k more for the sti vs wrx... It wasn't really worth it the past few years even less so now wrx gets the 6 speed shifter too.

curious about sti mpg.

reilo

lol at thinking Jaguars are going to be affordable.

A RWD Jaguar XF with the 3.0 Supercharged V6 (340HP/332TQ) is $50k. And that car is an entire two size segments above the CLA.

It comes with a 7" LCD GPS, keyless entry, moonroof, and leather memory seats.

Not sure why you think whatever Jaguar comes out in the 3-Series/A4 segment will be that much more expensive than the CLA.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
lol at thinking Jaguars are going to be affordable.

Jaguar's entry level 3-series, C-Class, and A4 competitor will start at ~$35K. Soooo, there's that. That's $3K cheaper than a lowly 200C.

As of now the XF with the 2.0T starts at $47K, and it's a much better motor than what Audi offers, for less coin. My 2012 5.0 was $52K MSRP and came pretty much fully loaded with a ton more power than the 535, A6 3.0T, M37, etc.

Also look at the pricing of the XJ compared to the A8, 7-series, and S-Class.

Jaguars are priced way better than their competitors, are faster, handle significantly better than anything else in their ball park, ride better, and simply look gorgeous inside and out.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jaguar's entry level 3-series, C-Class, and A4 competitor will start at ~$35K. Soooo, there's that. That's $3K cheaper than a lowly 200C.

As of now the XF with the 2.0T starts at $47K, and it's a much better motor than what Audi offers, for less coin. My 2012 5.0 was $52K MSRP and came pretty much fully loaded with a ton more power than the 535, A6 3.0T, M37, etc.

Also look at the pricing of the XJ compared to the A8, 7-series, and S-Class.

Jaguars are priced way better than their competitors, are faster, handle significantly better than anything else in their ball park, ride better, and simply look gorgeous inside and out.

200C actually starts at $26K, $38K is for the loaded V6 AWD model.

AlphaSnake

200C actually starts at $26K, $38K is for the loaded V6 AWD model.

Right. Which is my point. Jaguars are already loaded from the get-go. So a $35K Jaguar is likely to have all of the goods the Chrysler will, with room to add another $3K in options. On top of being far more dynamic than the Chrysler (RWD + all aluminum structure with a curb weight of 3200lbs).

There really is no case to make for the 200C here.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
A fully loaded AWD V6 Chrysler 200C is about $38K. A fully loaded FWD Mercedes CLA is about $45K.

Which one would you rather get?

If the question is "which would you rather get, * or a Chrysler", my answer is "*".

AlphaSnake

If the question is "which would you rather get, * or a Chrysler", my answer is "*".

Nevermind that the two cars don't even compete against each other. The CLA only seats 4, for starters...and has a cramped rear.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Right. Which is my point. Jaguars are already loaded from the get-go. So a $35K Jaguar is likely to have all of the goods the Chrysler will, with room to add another $3K in options. On top of being far more dynamic than the Chrysler (RWD + all aluminum structure with a curb weight of 3200lbs).

There really is no case to make for the 200C here.

I really, really doubt that a Jaguar is going to be decently loaded without paying through the nose.

reilo

I really, really doubt that a Jaguar is going to be decently loaded without paying through the nose.

What? Dude, do your research.

I just gave you a Jaguar with the following:

reilo said:
A RWD Jaguar XF with the 3.0 Supercharged V6 (340HP/332TQ) is $50k. And that car is an entire two size segments above the CLA.

It comes with a 7" LCD GPS, keyless entry, moonroof, and leather memory seats.

What you 'doubt' is not part of reality.

AlphaSnake

LMAO. What the fuck?

I'm speaking from EXPERIENCE here and this guy is refuting me. Jaguar's come standard bi-xenon headlights, navigation, voice control, paddle shifters, sport settings for engine and transmissions, LED headlights and taillights, heated seats, and whole assembly of other options.

All of the above is optional on a 5-series and Audi A6. Hell, a base Audi A6 comes with halogen reflectors...dat 1999 shit, bruh. Either way, you're 100% wrong.

Like Lexus, Jaguar doesn't nickel and dime the customer with worthless options (BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes do).

AlphaSnake

Oh and all XF and XJ Jags come with fantastic locking e-differentials, unlike the competition which only feature the one-wheel-peel open-diffs, unless it's an M or AMG car...and even then the new AMGs now boast an open-diff AWD system.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
LMAO. What the fuck?

I'm speaking from EXPERIENCE here and this guy is refuting me. Jaguar's come standard bi-xenon headlights, navigation, voice control, paddle shifters, sport settings for engine and transmissions, LED headlights and taillights, heated seats, and whole assembly of other options.

All of the above is optional on a 5-series and Audi A6. Hell, a base Audi A6 comes with halogen reflectors...dat 1999 shit, bruh. Either way, you're 100% wrong.

Like Lexus, Jaguar doesn't nickel and dime the customer with worthless options (BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes do).

We'll see, then...

J-Rzez

i was expecting way more hp from the sti. cause the new wrx has already 260hp?no?

I think everyone was. It's been the same power levels forever. 305hp is nothing these days. If there isn't something magically hidden away in the handling department of this car, it can be considered one of the laziest efforts of a manufacturers "excitement car" to date. It has been a massive disappointment to me thus far, and that's without factoring in the prior "hype" Subbie tried to make for the car and then that beautiful WRX concept car.

No pics/opinions on the new Acura TLX?

http://www.acura.com/future/TLX#1

Color is nice I think. Boring overall though. But at least the exterior has some "emotion" in it, unlike other "luxury" offerings like from Audi.

Toyota is starting to show it has a pulse coming back. FT-1 is too all over the place for me. Seriously. Just make a proper MKV Supra already. Edge up the roof line and panels from the MKIV, put in a relevant powerplant, dial in that handling, put a Targa roof and nice wing on it and call it a day. Oh, and don't price the damn thing $80k+.

I think everyone was. It's been the same power levels forever. 305hp is nothing these days. If there isn't something magically hidden away in the handling department of this car, it can be considered one of the laziest efforts of a manufacturers "excitement car" to date. It has been a massive disappointment to me thus far, and that's without factoring in the prior "hype" Subbie tried to make for the car and then that beautiful WRX concept car.

wrx seems to have gotten the better deal out of this lol. wrx concept was always a dream. Sexy subaru's? impossible.

i dont see why someone would buy the sti over the wrx.

as a side note.: Subaru only offers the (current) wrx sti here in europe. and they want 49.500€. in my opinion thats wayyyy overpriced for what you get.

J-Rzez

wrx seems to have gotten the better deal out of this lol. wrx concept was always a dream. Sexy subaru's? impossible.

It's such a bizarre situation. I mean, you have the WRX rocking the new drivetrain tech for better performance and economy, and having "90%" of the STI experience, while probably fewer than before mods needed to get better than STI performance.

Then you have the STI which is rocking that old lump of an engine still, with bits like the Brembo's and a semi-trick center diff, and probably some stiffening. And it'll cost $35k... The biggest hidden value in there for enthusiasts is that it still has hydraulic steering.

Subaru is probably going to pull their dirty Subaru tricks again though. In 2 years you'll get a "revised" STI which will have an all-new powerplant based off of the FA series, maybe a wider track and more aggressive looks.

Overall the WRX and now especially the STI confirms to me that Subaru fell far behind in development of a proper next-gen WRX/STI, or one that was supposed to be that true "stand alone chassis and experience" they touted before. Let alone that WRX concept that basically stole the show at NYIAS and shocked the net.

I think we're in store for more rope-a-dope subaru tactics. The lack of competition is really hurting all of us though. When people are still questioning it's performance, and hoping it'll at least compete with the handling of the Evo X which is so old, it speaks volumes. Only semi-competition in the segment for "something new" is really just the Golf R.

reilo

Mazda has all of the opportunity in the world to kill and take over the hot hatchback segment by making the next Mazdapseed3 AWD. They could up the price to $26-28k MSRP and they'd still be cheaper than a STI.

Add 1 option that you'll really want, and BMW will force a $7K package on you

Eh pretty much all the luxury performance sedans are doing that though BMW may do it a bit more than others. I could definitely see a perfectly fine ~65k M3, plus it looks like it will be better equipped than the e92 m3. Just skip the executive package.

AlphaSnake

Eh pretty much all the luxury performance sedans are doing that though BMW may do it a bit more than others. I could definitely see a perfectly fine ~65k M3, plus it looks like it will be better equipped than the e92 m3. Just skip the executive package.

One of the points we were making earlier on was that brands like Jaguar and Lexus actually don't do that. Fortunately, big ticket items like navigation, sound systems, lighting, and cameras are becoming standard features on all of these performance cars.

I was looking at a 2012 E92 M3 the other day...Space Grey, mint, 17k miles, $44K! Wow! What could possibly be wrong with this car right?

It had no iDrive. It makes the interior look beyond dated and bland. It's just an empty console.

Fortunately, this will no longer be an issue anymore on new Ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom