• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

Pricing released for the m3/m4

m3 $61,550
m4 $63,750

Comes with much more standard features however... it's not that much of an increase over E9x version. For example, my 2011 E92 M3 was 68k decently optioned out (MT, ZPP, ZTP, PDC, heated seats, etc).

Leather, DCT, navigation, etc comes all standard now when it was not before.

One of the points we were making earlier on was that brands like Jaguar and Lexus actually don't do that. Fortunately, big ticket items like navigation, sound systems, lighting, and cameras are becoming standard features on all of these performance cars.

I was looking at a 2012 E92 M3 the other day...Space Grey, mint, 17k miles, $44K! Wow! What could possibly be wrong with this car right?

It had no iDrive. It makes the interior look beyond dated and bland. It's just an empty console.

Fortunately, this will no longer be an issue anymore on new Ms.

Funny you mentioned this. The same thing happened while I was looking for a E90 sedan. You see a price that catches you eyes, only to find out that it's a bare bones M3 for $40K+.

bcl0328

Comes with much more standard features however... it's not that much of an increase over E9x version. For example, my 2011 E92 M3 was 68k decently optioned out (MT, ZPP, ZTP, PDC, heated seats, etc).

Leather, DCT, navigation, etc comes all standard now when it was not before.

i read manual was standard and DCT is extra, as well as navigation. just the iDrive is standard now.

No Love

Banned
The new STI is a disappointing joke. Same shitty EJ25 engine. Similar performance to all other STI's. I don't give a fuck about lateral grip, I can throw on some Hankook RS3's to an STI and get superior lateral grip and handling over the new one.

It's a god damn joke. The STI hasn't gained anything in performance for the last what, 7-8 years? You buy an '07 or '08 STI and you're around the same performance as the new one. Subaru is fucking stupid. They have had a long time to give the WRX/STI new bad-ass direct injected motors. They could've put the WRX at 300 hp and the STI at 400 no problem.

Fuck you, Subaru. This is why the Evo will always be superior. Despite Mitsubishi's silliness and refusal to update as well, Evo 8's, 9's, and X's are STILL superior to your new STI. If Mitsu brings the heat with their hybrid turbo electric Evo 11, Subaru is going to look like a bunch of lazy ass gimps.

Oh wait, they already do. What a slap in the face to Subaru fans.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
C'mon Mazda. Do the right thing. Take over that segment. You have no competition between $25-30k. It's there for the taking. Put AWD on the next Mazdaspeed3. Do eeeet.

rokkerkory

The new STI is a disappointing joke. Same shitty EJ25 engine. Similar performance to all other STI's. I don't give a fuck about lateral grip, I can throw on some Hankook RS3's to an STI and get superior lateral grip and handling over the new one.

It's a god damn joke. The STI hasn't gained anything in performance for the last what, 7-8 years? You buy an '07 or '08 STI and you're around the same performance as the new one. Subaru is fucking stupid. They have had a long time to give the WRX/STI new bad-ass direct injected motors. They could've put the WRX at 300 hp and the STI at 400 no problem.

Fuck you, Subaru. This is why the Evo will always be superior. Despite Mitsubishi's silliness and refusal to update as well, Evo 8's, 9's, and X's are STILL superior to your new STI. If Mitsu brings the heat with their hybrid turbo electric Evo 11, Subaru is going to look like a bunch of lazy ass gimps.

Oh wait, they already do. What a slap in the face to Subaru fans.

I have a feeling STI is always waiting 2 years before fully updating the new model to the 'real' STI version. Maybe they are always late in the game because of their smallish size?

Subby needs to invest more into STI. One year wait, no longer and stop releasing half-assed models that you'll be upgrading again on your customers in one generation cycle.

Not cool... and I love STI btw.

Forsete

How are the Japanese car companies doing? Apart from Toyota I see less and less Hondas, Mazdas, Mitsubishis etc. I think the local Mazda dealer recently gave up and switched to Hyundai instead. The Honda dealer already went bust a few years ago. And it shows as Hyundai and Kias are now very common.

I have tried the i40 and I wasn't very impressed. One colleague described the interior as a "flipper game". :-D

One of the points we were making earlier on was that brands like Jaguar and Lexus actually don't do that. Fortunately, big ticket items like navigation, sound systems, lighting, and cameras are becoming standard features on all of these performance cars.

I was looking at a 2012 E92 M3 the other day...Space Grey, mint, 17k miles, $44K! Wow! What could possibly be wrong with this car right?

It had no iDrive. It makes the interior look beyond dated and bland. It's just an empty console.

Fortunately, this will no longer be an issue anymore on new Ms.

Maybe it's mainly the germans, not too familiar with jag myself. I'm surprised a 2012 m3 didn't have idrive, thought they were standard by then. But yeah I think the standard equipment is getting a little better these days with more competition.

i read manual was standard and DCT is extra, as well as navigation. just the iDrive is standard now.

The released options list for the UK indicated nav is standard. DCT looks to be extra though.

ascii42

How are the Japanese car companies doing? Apart from Toyota I see less and less Hondas, Mazdas, Mitsubishis etc. I think the local Mazda dealer recently gave up and switched to Hyundai instead. The Honda dealer already went bust a few years ago. And it shows as Hyundai and Kias are now very common.

I have tried the i40 and I wasn't very impressed. One colleague described the interior as a "flipper game". :-D

Worldwide, Toyota was number 1 last year, just ahead of GM. Honda and Nissan had record sales in 2012 but I'm not sure about last year.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

coldfoot

Banned
I have to say, I generally don't like Acura styling, but the new TLX is among the best, it's definitely better looking than Infiniti and Lexus competitors, aka luxury brands that you wouldn own and not lease. Wouldn't touch the current gen TL with a pole, it's fugly.
2015-Acura-TLX-Prototype-side.jpg

I have to say, I generally don't like Acura styling, but the new TLX is among the best, it's definitely better looking than Infiniti and Lexus competitors, aka luxury brands that you wouldn own and not lease. Wouldn't touch the current gen TL with a pole, it's fugly.

looks like a volt

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?

the vehicle design looks uninspired - they should have called it an optima volt

It just looks so similar to the current TL. I mean the headlights are really the only thing that make it stand out a bit, and I still dislike the look of the chrome beak but that's obviously their trademark thing. It's sad that honda owns them and they still don't have a real competitive performance sedan/coupe.

rokkerkory

Looks better than current TL and TSX which it will replace (both). Smaller than current TL.

Smokey

Yeah no kidding. I really think I'm gonna have to lease the M4... it is just so insanely delicious looking.

I drive way too much to lease. But if I was able to I would. I'd wait until at least year two of its release anyway. But then part of me also says to wait until the LCI and save as much as I can until that point and jump in. That's so far away though.

No Love

Banned
I drive way too much to lease. But if I was able to I would. I'd wait until at least year two of its release anyway. But then part of me also says to wait until the LCI and save as much as I can until that point and jump in. That's so far away though.

It'll be a 2nd or 3rd car for me so I think I can stay under 12-15k miles a year. I don't drive a ton lately anyways. I'm just gonna chip it and maybe put an exhaust and do an E85 mix on it so it'll be a really fun cruising car. I'm sure it's underrated from the factory, so doing 450-500 whp just by mixing in some E85 and a chip should be do-able. What a beautiful car. Picking what color is going to be tough.

Hey guys.

When should I get my Oil changed? I can't find a straight answer. I've had my car for a little while, but I don't drive it as much. My current Oil life is 70 percent.

No Love

Banned
Hey guys.

When should I get my Oil changed? I can't find a straight answer. I've had my car for a little while, but I don't drive it as much. My current Oil life is 70 percent.

Use good synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. Depends on the motor. If it's all motor (no turbo or supercharger), you'd be safe changing it every 10k miles.

Also, make sure to use a good oil filter like a Purolator. Never ever use FRAM. Their oil filters are complete trash.

AlphaSnake

I won't be getting an F-Type R this year. :'(

And that image being bumped made me even sadder, I feel like my 12 year old self who's parents couldn't buy him those giant Wolverine and SpiderMan fighting action figures that had those handles on the back that allowed them to punch and kick like a joystick.

Goddammit. Someone hold me.

I had to use my birthday on my Wolverine and Spidey figures a few months later

AlphaSnake

Shit, now I'm trying to remember what the fuck those action figures were called. Oh man, it's really bothering me now.

Halp.

Edit: Found it! I still have no idea what they were called though. They were so bad ass.
$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g09trBR,rheGHIg~~60_12.JPG

No Love

Banned
I won't be getting an F-Type R this year. :'(

And that image being bumped made me even sadder, I feel like my 12 year old self who's parents couldn't buy him those giant Wolverine and SpiderMan fighting action figures that had those handles on the back that allowed them to punch and kick like a joystick.

Goddammit. Someone hold me.

I had to use my birthday on my Wolverine and Spidey figures a few months later

xazWr6g.jpg

xazWr6g.jpg

xazWr6g.jpg

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

cube444

It'll be a 2nd or 3rd car for me so I think I can stay under 12-15k miles a year. I don't drive a ton lately anyways. I'm just gonna chip it and maybe put an exhaust and do an E85 mix on it so it'll be a really fun cruising car. I'm sure it's underrated from the factory, so doing 450-500 whp just by mixing in some E85 and a chip should be do-able. What a beautiful car. Picking what color is going to be tough.

I'm very tempted too but I'm realistically 2-3 years away from a new ride. Current one is paid off with low clicks on it and still under warranty. Plus I've thrown over $10,000 into it so might as well enjoy it.

No Love

Banned
I'm very tempted too but I'm realistically 2-3 years away from a new ride. Current one is paid off with low clicks on it and still under warranty. Plus I've thrown over $10,000 into it so might as well enjoy it.

Understandable. But then I see the new Z06 and the Jaguar F Type R coupe and I wonder if the M4 is even worth it.

WRC 2014 has begun.

Hyundai is off to a fantastic start.

1644_monte-carlo-hyundai-neuville-2014_16_896x504.jpg

Hyundai Motorsport’s Rallye Monte-Carlo got off to the worst possible start this morning when star driver Thierry Neuville crashed out on the opening stage.

The rising star, who finished a mighty second in last year’s FIA World Rally Championship standings, was giving Hyundai’s i20 WRC its competitive debut in Monte Carlo.

But a promising start quickly unravelled 6kms into the snow-covered first stage at Orpierre-St Andre de Rosans. He was 4.5 seconds faster than the rest of the field at the first stage split, but crashed off the road soon afterwards.

:lol

Smokey

Understandable. But then I see the new Z06 and the Jaguar F Type R coupe and I wonder if the M4 is even worth it.

I get conflicted with the Vette. It's literally my child hood dream car, but I've always liked BMWs as well so I went that route when the opportunity was available. Was a little more practical at the time and was a convertible which my fiancé was hyped about.

But now though.. I've waited for years for new stingray to be released, and for them to update that interior which they've done.. But I'm also drawn to the m3/m4 as its the next logical step up in performance from my e93. Went to Chevy dealership a few weeks ago to get an idea of how much a stingray would cost me customized to my liking. They had a few on the lot and I wanted to put my name down for one right there. Then I saw those m4 pics and my mind switched right back lol.

Not a bad thing at all. Industry is at a point where there is competition everywhere and that's good for us. Quality choices in whatever segment you choose.

Viperbah

I get conflicted with the Vette. It's literally my child hood dream car, but I've always liked BMWs as well so I went that route when the opportunity was available. Was a little more practical at the time and was a convertible which my fiancé was hyped about.

But now though.. I've waited for years for new stingray to be released, and for them to update that interior which they've done.. But I'm also drawn to the m3/m4 as its the next logical step up in performance from my e93. Went to Chevy dealership a few weeks ago to get an idea of how much a stingray would cost me customized to my liking. They had a few on the lot and I wanted to put my name down for one right there. Then I saw those m4 pics and my mind switched right back lol.

Not a bad thing at all. Industry is at a point where there is competition everywhere and that's good for us. Quality choices in whatever segment you choose.

Im surprised you went to the dealership and had the power to walk away. For me, it would be like going to a pet shelter and seeing puppies that if you don't adopt they will be put down.

so how do y'all manage having more than a few cars, especially a few fun ones?

US houses are usually what, 2-3 car garages? And thats not including spouses car, truck or w/e else one needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom