• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

so how do y'all manage having more than a few cars, especially a few fun ones?

US houses are usually what, 2-3 car garages? And thats not including spouses car, truck or w/e else one needs.

A big garage is a must. I know guys that have 4-5 fun cars and I have no idea how they manage to enjoy them all, more of a collector at that point.

At my worst I had a z06, trans am, a 89 5.0 project in storage and a civic.

Smokey

Im surprised you went to the dealership and had the power to walk away. For me, it would be like going to a pet shelter and seeing puppies that if you don't adopt they will be put down.

Easy: I've got a wedding coming up this summer. It's the worst and I can't wait until the process is over.

Viperbah

Easy: I've got a wedding coming up this summer. It's the worst and I can't wait until the process is over.

Ah.... I just got married in November last year....sold my fun car to pay for it, so I feel your pain.

Hang in there, the moment at your reception when you realize all the BS is over and everything went smooth and your relaxed having fun with your friends..... it's the best feeling ever.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I've been considering test driving a Corvette, as well. They're fairly inexpensive, especially considering the power and the potential for even more power very cheap.

WRC 2014 has begun.

Hyundai is off to a fantastic start.

1644_monte-carlo-hyundai-neuville-2014_16_896x504.jpg

:lol

the other driver had problems with the electronics. car didn't start. dropped out too.

here you can see Neuvilles crash from the on board camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvoCHOEdYtA&feature=player_detailpage#t=35

A big garage is a must. I know guys that have 4-5 fun cars and I have no idea how they manage to enjoy them all, more of a collector at that point.

At my worst I had a z06, trans am, a 89 5.0 project in storage and a civic.

Ive got all of my shit stashed away in my parents garage.

06 Evo, 98 M3, 95 Disco 1, 01 Disco 2, 77 MGB, 80 TR8.

I still think im gonna sell the evo so I can get my own place with a large garage so I don't have to drive 30 minutes to work on all my cars everyday.

so how do y'all manage having more than a few cars, especially a few fun ones?

US houses are usually what, 2-3 car garages? And thats not including spouses car, truck or w/e else one needs.
I just purchased a home with 4 garage spaces and high roof so i can install a lift if i want lol. (Pretty rare in Australia).Moving end of February. Huge upgrade from my crappy single non fully enclosed garage with a manual opening door which is always getting the gtr covered in dust.

I've been considering test driving a Corvette, as well. They're fairly inexpensive, especially considering the power and the potential for even more power very cheap.

Man, I think I view money differently than you.

That said, if I were to have a mid-life crisis car it would be the F-type coupe. I think the guy with the grey F-type convertible works/lives near me. So nice.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I didnt know this. Going on a deployment in april, when I come back ill have to check out these military pricing deals.

Viperbah

Ive got all of my shit stashed away in my parents garage.

06 Evo, 98 M3, 95 Disco 1, 01 Disco 2, 77 MGB, 80 TR8.

I still think im gonna sell the evo so I can get my own place with a large garage so I don't have to drive 30 minutes to work on all my cars everyday.

Nice collection of cars! Yeah having a big garage is really nice, I went from a small one car garage to this

IMG_0712_zps9ba34956.jpg

I just purchased a home with 4 garage spaces and high roof so i can install a lift if i want lol. (Pretty rare in Australia).Moving end of February. Huge upgrade from my crappy single non fully enclosed garage with a manual opening door which is always getting the gtr covered in dust.

I want a lift so bad, but my ceilings are around 9 1/2 ft. I am looking this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5e5c8euXEw

Smokey

If you are in the US military overseas you get that military pricing, USAA members get a discount. I have no idea if they stack.

I have USAA. I can get a military discount on cars? I know about certain financing deals or whatever. But discount? If so I'll definitely have to look into that.

M4 standard looks good to me. Wonder what the options are

mkenyon

Banned
I get conflicted with the Vette. It's literally my child hood dream car, but I've always liked BMWs as well so I went that route when the opportunity was available. Was a little more practical at the time and was a convertible which my fiancé was hyped about.

But now though.. I've waited for years for new stingray to be released, and for them to update that interior which they've done.. But I'm also drawn to the m3/m4 as its the next logical step up in performance from my e93. Went to Chevy dealership a few weeks ago to get an idea of how much a stingray would cost me customized to my liking. They had a few on the lot and I wanted to put my name down for one right there. Then I saw those m4 pics and my mind switched right back lol.

Not a bad thing at all. Industry is at a point where there is competition everywhere and that's good for us. Quality choices in whatever segment you choose.
Get the fucking Bimmer Smokey. Come on.
I have USAA. I can get a military discount on cars? I know about certain financing deals or whatever. But discount? If so I'll definitely have to look into that.

Yeah, there's a number of dealer specials through USAA (which I also have).

mkenyon

Banned
No shit.

I do just about everything through them. Only thing outside is my mortgage. The customer service is unbelievably good.

Smokey

Get the fucking Bimmer Smokey. Come on.

Yeah, there's a number of dealer specials through USAA (which I also have).

Not that easy bro! Loved Corvette's since I can remember and the new one is great, and that's not even taking into account the Z06. I read up on these two cars at least once a day and always flip flop between the two. I thought the M3 looked better than the M4 until I saw those Detroit pics, and now I'm in that camp.

Had no clue there were special discounts for USAA members beyond financing, so that's good to hear. Really love USAA. Top tier insurance and their other products are great too.

mkenyon

Banned
I know what you mean. As a kid, all I wanted was a Viper, then a Vette when the C5 Z06s came out.

But then I grew up, and drove a BMW.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I know what you mean. As a kid, all I wanted was a Viper, then a Vette when the C5 Z06s came out.

But then I grew up, and drove a BMW.
Don't worry, 20 years from now you'll want to drive a Corvette.

BMW's esp the M cars for at least the last decade have been lifeless.

Overweight, under powered and an electrical nightmare. Lots of friends went through them and I've driven many personally before that's even brought up.

Maybe they'll be serious with the M4 again but they've been riding out the brand power for a while now.

I'd take an equivalent Audi S series anyway. Both are pretend performers and wanna be track stars but at least the Audi's look amazing and their interior are top of the class.

No Love

Banned

Overweight, under powered and an electrical nightmare. Lots of friends went through them and I've driven many personally before that's even brought up.

Maybe they'll be serious with the M4 again but they've been riding out the brand power for a while now.

I'd take an equivalent Audi S series anyway. Both are pretend performers and wanna be track stars but at least the Audi's look amazing and their interior are top of the class.

Gotta disagree about the E9x M3. Yeah the E46 M3 is a bitch to live with maintenance-wise, but all I hear about E9x M3 is how reliable it is and well built. I know lots of people with one who have had no issues whatsoever. Yeah the motor is pretty gutless when it comes to torque, but it is sexy as hell to have such a high-revving, ITB equipped V8. It is definitely a car that lives up to the M3 legacy.

Otherwise, yeah BMW been fucking up for a long time now. But then again, they did make the 1M which is totally off-kilter and quirky, much like the two M Coupes. I think BMW has lost a lot of what made them so much good, but every once in a while they really bring the heat with one or two M cars that get so much right.

THE:MILKMAN

Any Gaffers own the new Fiesta ST?

I have a problem with oil consumption and after being messed around by the supplying dealer it is booked-in with another on Tuesday.

@2000 miles 2.5L oil was added by dealer when the car was in for another problem.
@2350 miles 0.5L of oil added by dealer. I watched them add this.
@2850 miles dealer says oil is full but to me it had gone down to halfway between min/max and gone down to a lower level than when the 0.5 litres was added!

I checked it again today and no/very little oil is showing on the dipstick @3050 miles. I have checked it warm and cold, and on a level surface (didn't have a spirit level handy...)

I also have video I could link that shows a small amount of blue smoke from the exhaust.

Huge 14MP pic:

eP5.jpg

rokkerkory

LOL

I have a problem with oil consumption and after being messed around by the supplying dealer it is booked-in with another on Tuesday.

@2000 miles 2.5L oil was added by dealer when the car was in for another problem.
@2850 miles dealer says oil is full but to me it had gone down to halfway between min/max and gone down to a lower level than when the 0.5 litres was added!

I checked it again today and no/very little oil is showing on the dipstick @3050 miles. I have checked it warm and cold, and on a level surface (didn't have a spirit level handy...)

I also have video I could link that shows a small amount of blue smoke from the exhaust.

You should link the video. If you're getting blue smoke out of the exhaust on a brand new motor that is ridiculous. Blue smoke means you're burning oil, which is usually a sign that the motor is blown or you've seriously overfilled the engine with oil. Are you sure you're checking the right dipstick for engine oil level?

Edit: I read a little online, apparently new Fiestas like burning oil and have shitty dipsticks. That's just a quick google review though, nothing in depth.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Huge 14MP pic:

eP5.jpg

Lemon it.

Yeah the dipstick is awkward to say the least.

One of my theories is the dealer topped up with 2.5L by mistake because of the crap dipstick causing oil to be forced through stem seals or something. When 0.5L was added it took two mechanics to get a reading off the dipstick....

I find it funny since putting that oil in they have gone out their way not to help me.

Anyway here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=803dihUEv9I

Edit: I should add that I have a case open with Ford customer services who arranged for me to go to the other dealer Tuesday.

Yeah that's really bad. Let us know what happens when you take it in to the dealer!

Will do. I just hope they actually do some proper tests of the car. When I suggested to the dealer to do a compression check, check the PCV system ect the tech looked at me like I was mad.

Tells me not to worry because the car has lots of sensors, a 3 year warranty and a oil light!

Will do. I just hope they actually do some proper tests of the car. When I suggested to the dealer to do a compression check, check the PCV system ect the tech looked at me like I was mad.

Tells me not to worry because the car has lots of sensors, a 3 year warranty and a oil light!
What the hell kind of attitude is that? A customer comes in with a car that shouldn't even be at its first oil change that's a) 3L low on oil and b) burning said oil and they say "Eh whatever you have a warranty"? Well no shit! That's why the car is in the shop! To be serviced under warranty!

What the hell kind of attitude is that? A customer comes in with a car that shouldn't even be at its first oil change that's a) 3L low on oil and b) burning said oil and they say "Eh whatever you have a warranty"? Well no shit! That's why the car is in the shop! To be serviced under warranty!

Tell me about it. I used to work for a Jaguar dealer as a collection/deliver driver and have seen the "bad attitude" from the other side and so I have been extremely patient and calm with them and they have treated me like crap, frankly.

I even wondered if that last guy I spoke to was even a mechanic with him telling me the car has a oil light (oil pressure light!) But a family member that used to work at said dealership tells me he is a Ford Master Tech....

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/SalesandPrograms/MilitarySalute.aspx

I'm assuming it works similar to other military discounts with other manufacturers. You should ask what the qualifications are, not sure if it's only USAA who served or anyone who has USAA.

I kinda laughed too. Audis are usually heavier and slower than Bimmers, right?

The e46 and e90, the two m3's in the last decade, were significantly lighter than their audi RS4/5 equivalents. Base RS5 now is like 4000 pounds. And yeah generation to generation comparison I believe they've been faster than the RS4/5.

Man that sounds awesome! I'd love to have a space with enough height for a lift. I'm mad jelly of you guys with more then a single car garage. I can park a bunch of cars outside, but who wants to leave their project cars outside like that :(

Ugh one day I'll get that double... Or a house with enough land that I can build my own garage :)

No Love

Banned
Holy fucking shit it sounds like a Honda with a fartcan. NO SALE. That sounds horrible. What the fuck were they thinking?

Edit: There is no way those sounds are real. That has to be fake LOL.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yea hrmm. Not in love. Maybe a different exhaust and headers can clean that up.

Just got back from the Auto show. Pretty good fun but it got really crowded after 11:30. Ford's (and Lincoln's) areas were huge.

The Nissan IDX looked cool and the M3 and M4 looked good, but the F-Type! It is a good thing it wasn't around when I was car shopping last year. Would have sold a kidney for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom