• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
What does GAF think about:

Mercedes-GLA-9.jpg

From my perspective, it's like a grown up's WRX (wagon), which is exactly what I'm shopping for. Was pretty set on the X1 or a 3 Series Wagon, but I like this.

Mercedes-GLA-9.jpg

From my perspective, it's like a grown up's WRX (wagon), which is exactly what I'm shopping for. Was pretty set on the X1 or a 3 Series Wagon, but I like this.

GLA design looks pretty nice but the main knock I would say (compared to wrx and x1) is FWD like the CLA. Crossovers look better than wagons though imo.

mkenyon

Banned
Seems like the only downside is a bit less HP (compared to the BMW), but supposedly it has its peak torque of 258lbs available from 1200-4000 RPM. Sounds like it'd feel quite nice.

THE:MILKMAN

So I went to the other dealer today and apart from also checking the PCV system, they did just as the original did i.e. no leaks, no blue smoke! and the PCV system isn't blocked/faulty.

No compression/leak down test.

But we did put another 0.5L (I would have thought 1L looking at my dipstick!) oil in....please come back in 500 miles. So that is a running total of a minimum 3.5L of oil in 3000 miles.

Really pissed off right now. Will be having a rant at Ford tomorrow.

Smokey

Houston Auto Show starts tomorrow

Hyped

Thinking of going tomorrow. Will most definitely be less people than the weekend and they have some pretty nice rides you can test drive, at least they did last year.

So I went to the other dealer today and apart from also checking the PCV system, they did just as the original did i.e. no leaks, no blue smoke! and the PCV system isn't blocked/faulty.

No compression/leak down test.

But we did put another 0.5L (I would have thought 1L looking at my dipstick!) oil in....please come back in 500 miles. So that is a running total of a minimum 3.5L of oil in 3000 miles.

Really pissed off right now. Will be having a rant at Ford tomorrow.

Did they say what the next step was if you're down on oil in 500 miles?

robox

Mercedes-GLA-9.jpg

my first thought was, that cla looks like it needs a lot of lowering.
like the outback version of the cla.

and i really want a cla

Did they say what the next step was if you're down on oil in 500 miles?

No. I explained to them when I went down to book the car in that I'd been to the original dealer 3/4 times and all they did was check for external leaks, the dipstick level and topped it up.

The service manager even asked me to wait a week to ensure his top mechanic could see the car. And all they've done beyond the other dealer is check the PCV system.

I was under the impression the whole point of going to this other dealer was to get tests done the other dealer refused to do.(compression check etc..)

Do they really expect me to keep driving it in 500 mile bursts and go in for top ups? Bloody ridiculous!

No Love

Banned
No. I explained to them when I went down to book the car in that I'd been to the original dealer 3/4 times and all they did was check for external leaks, the dipstick level and topped it up.

The service manager even asked me to wait a week to ensure his top mechanic could see the car. And all they've done beyond the other dealer is check the PCV system.

I was under the impression the whole point of going to this other dealer was to get tests done the other dealer refused to do.(compression check etc..)

Do they really expect me to keep driving it in 500 mile bursts and go in for top ups? Bloody ridiculous!

Time to call up Ford corporate or get it taken back as a lemon.

Time to call up Ford corporate or get it taken back as a lemon.

I have a case open with Ford customer services but I couldn't get hold of the lady dealing with my case this morning and haven't had a call back. The lady I did talked to just suggested I'd have to speak to the supplying dealer about rejecting the car!

I'm beginning to think they have all been playing me since this began.

Viperbah

I have a case open with Ford customer services but I couldn't get hold of the lady dealing with my case this morning and haven't had a call back. The lady I did talked to just suggested I'd have to speak to the supplying dealer about rejecting the car!

Yeah I don't understand why the dealer wouldn't run a compression & leak down test if they couldn't find the oil leak....they probably ran your motor for 20 seconds and didn't see smoke.

That point is really moot though, if your car is leaking oil at this stage in its life and it's not just a gasket then you have a lemon...might be time to go talk to a lawyer if this dealership keeps up the bull shit.

Just in case you weren't aware, the 1.6L EcoBoost, specifically in the Escape, has been recalled several times here in the US for oil leaks which in turn cause fires. If you haven't looked into that situation, I suggest you do as it's certainly possible it could be the same, or related problem.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/11/20131126-ford.html

Yeah I don't understand why the dealer wouldn't run a compression & leak down test if they couldn't find the oil leak....they probably ran your motor for 20 seconds and didn't see smoke.

That point is really moot though, if your car is leaking oil at this stage in its life and it's not just a gasket then you have a lemon...might be time to go talk to a lawyer if this dealership keeps up the bull shit.

They should have done those tests when they found it down 2.5L in the first instance. The car is burning the oil somehow. The car was in for another problem when the oil issue was found and the service guy described the problem as a "crankshaft adjustment" which is BS and I think that could be related somehow. They were instructed by Ford to supply paperwork of exactly what the repair was but I never received it.

If the engine was mis-built in the first place i.e. crankshaft not fitted correctly/faulty, it could be the reason the engine is using oil?

Just in case you weren't aware, the 1.6L EcoBoost, specifically in the Escape, has been recalled several times here in the US for oil leaks which in turn cause fires. If you haven't looked into that situation, I suggest you do as it's certainly possible it could be the same, or related problem.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/11/20131126-ford.html

I had read about that but my car was built end of June '13 and doubt it is affected. I have checked all over the engine the best I can and there are no leaks that I can see and no oil on my drive.

A leak of 3.5L of oil in less than 6 months/3000 miles would be obvious wouldn't it?

mkenyon

Banned
crossovers are gross
Some, maybe. But I'm a huge fan of wagons. Seems like "crossover" is mostly a marketing ploy to make people accept wagons. As a result, it's pretty much the only way I can get a fun wagon, outside of BMW.

I'm in a rural area of Western Washington, and make fairly frequent trips across the mountains to Sun Valley and Bend, OR. Having something that is AWD is great. Having something with room for trips to and from random Farm/Ranch supply stores or big box hardware stores is really nice. Shit, my Forrester fits 3 bales of hay in the back.

But, I really like automobiles and enjoying my drive. If the only way I can get what I need (AWD wagon) from an automaker that makes enjoyable cars, then I'll support this "crossover" movement.

Viperbah

If the engine was mis-built in the first place i.e. crankshaft not fitted correctly/faulty, it could be the reason the engine is using oil?

Well.. yes, the crankshaft could have a have worn/flawed main bearings or journals. If the main bearing is worn/flawed, it will throw more oil into your cylinders than the normal designed amount....which will result in burning oil.

Flo_Evans

What was it doing when you had to get a "crankshaft adjustment"?

Sounds shitty hope they fix (replace) that shit man. Really sucks to buy a new car and have old car problems.

Well.. yes, the crankshaft could have a have worn/flawed main bearings or journals. If the main bearing is worn/flawed, it will throw more oil into your cylinders than the normal designed amount....which will result in burning oil.

I definitely think oil is burning but coincidentally this morning I find a oil patch on my drive for the first time and I had been checking thoroughly the last few weeks....Will go to the dealer after work tomorrow.

What was it doing when you had to get a "crankshaft adjustment"?

Sounds shitty hope they fix (replace) that shit man. Really sucks to buy a new car and have old car problems.

The original problem started off as a misfire that ranged form a gentle pulsing like fuel was being cut for a split second at a steady 30mph to full on kangarooing like old cars did with manual chokes pushed back in too soon when cold! I seemed to only notice this at low speed too.

They said they replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor but the engine light came back after 6 miles. Had the car again for 5 days and were seemingly stumped and then they had a hallelujah moment and I was given the "crankshaft adjustment" line.

No Love

Banned
I definitely think oil is burning but coincidentally this morning I find a oil patch on my drive for the first time and I had been checking thoroughly the last few weeks....Will go to the dealer after work tomorrow.

The original problem started off as a misfire that ranged form a gentle pulsing like fuel was being cut for a split second at a steady 30mph to full on kangarooing like old cars did with manual chokes pushed back in too soon when cold! I seemed to only notice this at low speed too.

They said they replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor but the engine light came back after 6 miles. Had the car again for 5 days and were seemingly stumped and then they had a hallelujah moment and I was given the "crankshaft adjustment" line.

Engine needs an overhaul/replacement but I'd lemon the car at this point and go buy an Evo X instead. lol

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Houston Auto Show starts tomorrow

Hyped

Thinking of going tomorrow. Will most definitely be less people than the weekend and they have some pretty nice rides you can test drive, at least they did last year.

I'm hoping the winter weather hits us nice and hard actually so that all the concrete babies will stay home and I can enjoy Saturday at the show without having to wait 8 or 9 asses back.

Tesla is going an interesting route with their China pricing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/fair-price

Tesla
US - $81,000
China - $121,400

I looked up the prices for BMW/Audi in China

BMW 7-Series
US - Starts at $74,000
China - Starts at $154,300

Audi A8
US - Starts at $75,100
China - Starts at $144,000

Audi S8
US - Starts at $112,500
China - Starts at $328,000

I just think I have one of those cars that just keeps going wrong. The oil leak has turned out to be a leaking drive shaft seal.

Any bets on what the next thing to go wrong will be?

Damn. That is a major issue and a not very minor issue with a new car.

Congrats on your lemon! :(

Don't rub it in! :( The list is getting long though and the dealers are so blasé about it all.

3.5L+ oil used in 3000 miles
Camshaft sensor replaced (may not have been faulty)
Crankshaft "adjusted"
Drive shaft seal to be replaced

Will be talking to the sales woman that sold me the car to see if she can sort something out.

Tesla is going an interesting route with their China pricing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/fair-price

Tesla
US - $81,000
China - $121,400

I looked up the prices for BMW/Audi in China

BMW 7-Series
US - Starts at $74,000
China - Starts at $154,300

Audi A8
US - Starts at $75,100
China - Starts at $144,000

Audi S8
US - Starts at $112,500
China - Starts at $328,000

Damn. That is a major issue and a not very minor issue with a new car.

Tesla is probably making some pretty low margins in china in order to get their foot in the door, much of the high pricing of foreign cars in China has to do with some very high import taxes. Audi builds cars there and has some sort of deal that allows them to avoid some of the taxes, hence they're cheaper than most of the other equivalent luxury brands.

I guess the car gods don't think I've been punished enough with my lemon car and now the dealers are against me. I present dealer customer "care":

156.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom