• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ameratsu

$55k doesn't buy you as much car in Canada. With that said...

2014 Lancer Evolution GSR

AFfN8vh.png

I wouldn't go for most of those options if I were paying for it myself. But I needed to inflate the price somehow.

Quick question about oil changes:

My 2013 CR-V just hit 4,800 miles and the maintenance minder told me it had 15% oil life left. Now it's at 10% and I'm getting the oil changed. I thought synthetic was always better but now I'm hearing conventional is better for the first 3-4 changes for break-in. So I'm doing that.

Is that right? Or should I start using synthetic next time (at 8k or so)?

Also, should I just rely on the maintenance minder to tell me when to change the oil? Or every 3k? I'd rather just have the computer tell me but if that's wrong I just want to do what's best for the engine.

Quick question about oil changes:

My 2013 CR-V just hit 4,800 miles and the maintenance minder told me it had 15% oil life left. Now it's at 10% and I'm getting the oil changed. I thought synthetic was always better but now I'm hearing conventional is better for the first 3-4 changes for break-in. So I'm doing that.

Is that right? Or should I start using synthetic next time (at 8k or so)?

Also, should I just rely on the maintenance minder to tell me when to change the oil? Or every 3k? I'd rather just have the computer tell me but if that's wrong I just want to do what's best for the engine.

Unless you have a diesel, change your oil every 3-5k miles.

kharma45

Star Trek, Estates, and PC's. It's like you're my UK twin.

Or they're just signs of a refined
nerd
gentleman.

Can't beat a small estate. I still like the look of the A4 Avant too but it's pretty long in the tooth now.

I've seen the 328d here as it's called. Overpriced IMO.

We've the 316d, 318d, 320d, 330d and the 335d. They'd probably account for 90% of 3 Series sales over here. They're best value here since they hold their value much better than the petrol equivalent as well as better MPG (although mileage dictates whether they're worth it) and lower tax.

320d is the sweet spot. Quick enough for most and cheap to run. From a quick Google search the 320d we get actually puts out more power (albeit only by 4 brake) than the 328d you guys get across the Atlantic.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Yes. Only other option would be a v60 R-Design.

Saw one of these at the auto show today. They look nice. Like with the S60, the center stack is shit, though. I have no idea why they have so many goddamn buttons on that thing. I couldn't tell if I was in a car or in a goddamn 737.

ascii42

320d is the sweet spot. Quick enough for most and cheap to run. From a quick Google search the 320d we get actually puts out more power (albeit only by 4 brake) than the 328d you guys get across the Atlantic.

Probably the same power, just different units. Metric horses are slightly weaker than imperial horses, apparently. It's about a 1.5% difference.

Man oh man... So I've got the opportunity to buy a twin scroll turbo manifold (with turbo down pipe) for a SR20 for an AMAZING price because the company is new and they need to get their name out there.

I was looking for a simple bottom mount with elbow, and this offer plopped on my lap.

I wasn't planning to run such a setup since it's a heck of a lot more costly, but I can then again buy it, and buy the parts associated with it. Then once I'm serious about an engine build I have everything I need.

Ugh what to do? I think I'm going to jump on it, and then buy a bottom mount setup till it's time for a rebuild (or serious power upgrade).

Ty4on

Probably the same power, just different units. Metric horses are slightly weaker than imperial horses, apparently. It's about a 1.5% difference.

Converting 1kW into 1.34 imperial horses and 1.36 metric horses is my way of doing it. The difference in manufacturer claims is probably a lot higher though.
As always metric FTW of course. It's as simple as 75kg lifted one meter a second and with it the Veyron has 1001 hp :p

Lizardus

Any Canadians have experience in buying car in the U.S. and driving it back to Canada? I would like to know more about prices, customs etc.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8956D5C9C6C6BE80!155&authkey=!ACXhauX715m96Do&ithint=file,.m4a

Any mechanics in here? Can someone listen to this clip i recorded on my phone (badly)? This sound is coming from my front passenger wheel well. I am poorly trying to bounce the front up and down, which explains the background noise. I was hoping this would be some easy thing like a rubber bushing or something, but this sounds like straight up metal warping or wasting away.

It typically only sounds like this when it is cold, but the weather was mild today and it still screeched. Even when just driving down the road, it is constantly screeching like this. Please help!

mkenyon

Banned
Finally got a nice powerful V8 with 380 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. Except that it's not a car.

MbrHKWL.png

9znDz8Q.png

2007 Tundra, SR5, 5.7L V8, Longbed. 60k miles, out the door @ $19,000. Talked them down to $17,300 from $21,000. Now I just need to hang on to my Forrester for another 3 years, then I get to replace it with a 3 series wagon. Was hoping to do that this year, but this was very much needed. Hauling 8' posts, bales of hay, and all sorts of random stuff was a pain in the ass in the Forrester.

God damn mkenyon, what's the wheelbase on that truck?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8956D5C9C6C6BE80!155&authkey=!ACXhauX715m96Do&ithint=file,.m4a

Any mechanics in here? Can someone listen to this clip i recorded on my phone (badly)? This sound is coming from my front passenger wheel well. I am poorly trying to bounce the front up and down, which explains the background noise. I was hoping this would be some easy thing like a rubber bushing or something, but this sounds like straight up metal warping or wasting away.

It typically only sounds like this when it is cold, but the weather was mild today and it still screeched. Even when just driving down the road, it is constantly screeching like this. Please help!

Oh my god listening to you breath was creeping me out. I'm not great with suspension noises, but it makes me think of a bad tie-rod end or ball joint. When driving when do you get the noise the most?

I've heard a ball joint sound like that before, but honestly it just sounds like metal on metal. Can you get underneath (with axle stands of course) and see if anything is loose? Missing spring seat, play in the ball joint(s), play in the anti roll bar, play in the wishbones etc? I don't think it'll be your track rod though, I didn't think they made much, if any noise.

Finally got a nice powerful V8 with 380 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. Except that it's not a car.

2007 Tundra, SR5, 5.7L V8, Longbed. 60k miles, out the door @ $19,000. Talked them down to $17,300 from $21,000. Now I just need to hang on to my Forrester for another 3 years, then I get to replace it with a 3 series wagon. Was hoping to do that this year, but this was very much needed. Hauling 8' posts, bales of hay, and all sorts of random stuff was a pain in the ass in the Forrester.

Grats on the truck! :D

I'm heading to the St. Louis Auto Show later today. It's obviously not one of the big shows, but I still expect it to be fun. I'll take some pics if there's anything particularly cool.

A used C6 Z06 with the Z07 performance package.

If you're man enough: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...-650hp-are-suspension-etc.html#post1585567269

Well if we could go with used, it'd be a GT-R or 997 Turbo.

kharma45

I had thought since it was the UK website we'd be getting the power in imperial horse power (although I've noticed that imperial and metric are being intermixed now) but did a quick calculation with the kW listed and you're right they're listing metric. 328d is just a rebadged 320d then.

mkenyon

Banned
GAF, even though I bought that truck, I still have the auto bug so bad. Wife says I should just go for it and get the thing I want.

Not looking to break the bank, as G-Sync 1440p monitors are out this year. Started looking for cars with this criteria:

1) Fun to drive
2) Wagon/Hatchback - but could be convinced on a Sedan if it's amazing enough. I also consider a number of "crossovers" to be wagons in disguise.
3) Moderately comfortable, though if it can achieve this and the first requirement, then double points.
4) AWD preferred, but RWD manageable
5) Under $30k
6) Leather - my dog sheds like crazy and tracks in dirt/mud, and I bring her everywhere with me. Much easier to clean up.

Right now, the Infiniti EX35 seems like a frontrunner. I drove one a few years ago while helping my old man shop for a new car, and fell in love with it. The idea of maintenance on it compared to something like a 3 series wagon does give me a lot of comfort too. There's a number of these available with 20-30k miles for $25,000-$30,000, fully loaded.

Other cars I've considered:

CTS Wagon
3 Series Wagon
X3
X1 (been written off entirely)
WRX w/ leather interior
Dodge Magnum (so cheap!)
Forrester Turbo w/ leather
Evo X
GTI R32

Anything I'm missing?

No Love

Banned
GAF, even though I bought that truck, I still have the auto bug so bad. Wife says I should just go for it and get the thing I want.

Not looking to break the bank, as G-Sync 1440p monitors are out this year. Started looking for cars with this criteria:

1) Fun to drive
2) Wagon/Hatchback - but could be convinced on a Sedan if it's amazing enough. I also consider a number of "crossovers" to be wagons in disguise.
3) Moderately comfortable, though if it can achieve this and the first requirement, then double points.
5) Under $30k
6) Leather - my dog sheds like crazy and tracks in dirt/mud, and I bring her everywhere with me. Much easier to clean up.

Right now, the Infiniti EX35 seems like a frontrunner. I drove one a few years ago while helping my old man shop for a new car, and fell in love with it. The idea of maintenance on it compared to something like a 3 series wagon does give me a lot of comfort too. There's a number of these available with 20-30k miles for $25,000-$30,000, fully loaded.

CTS Wagon
3 Series Wagon
X3
WRX w/ leather interior
Dodge Magnum (so cheap!)
Evo X
GTI R32

Anything I'm missing?

I vote Evo X because they are uber reliable, fun, dirt cheap to make powerful/increase MPG, and you can take it anywhere... mud, snow or rain. And the resale value is so strong that you could sell it for 2-3 years for close to what you paid for it.

Drive one. You'll see. Even stock they are fun as hell.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, the only complaint about them is the fit and finish. Nothing a day of tearing apart the interior and spraying everything with dynamat wouldn't fix though.

I love the look, it's like they grew up the styling along with their customer base, whereas Subaru (and I'm a Subaru fanboy) seems to have gone in the opposite direction.

No Love

Banned
Yeah, the only complaint about them is the fit and finish. Nothing a day of tearing apart the interior and spraying everything with dynamat wouldn't fix though.

I love the look, it's like they grew up the styling along with their customer base, whereas Subaru (and I'm a Subaru fanboy) seems to have gone in the opposite direction.

Yeah the interior is not great by any means, but they do have some of the most comfortable seats around. I really love the way those seats fit me, the shoulder support is great. It's a great car for every day driving, especially once you tune it.

Subarus on the other hand... yeesh. The styling on the the new-gen sedans and last-gen sedans is just bad. And I'd never trust those EJ25 motors.

mkenyon

Banned
The hatchback portion of them scores a *lot* of points for me though. I'm in a rural area, and even go to pick up hay in my Forrester prior to buying a truck :p

*edit*

Also, the amount of feedback about rattles in the Evo X scares me off. Rattles make me go crazy.

nayrac

1) Fun to drive
5) Under $30k

CTS Wagon
3 Series Wagon
X3
WRX w/ leather interior
Dodge Magnum (so cheap!)
Evo X
GTI R32

Anything I'm missing?

Oddly, I was in the same position 3 months ago when my A3 got lemon'd. I went Impreza because that's what I had before the A3.

cube444

I had thought since it was the UK website we'd be getting the power in imperial horse power (although I've noticed that imperial and metric are being intermixed now) but did a quick calculation with the kW listed and you're right they're listing metric. 328d is just a rebadged 320d then.

It is. Plus the headaches of DEF, SCR, and other emission components that will definitely have issues down the line.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well, after a fantastic 3+ years with the 370Z...I'm going to sell it for another big and fast sedan, and buy the F-Type R or RCF next year. Looking to lock down either an Infiniti M56 or BMW 550i.

I swear I never want to drive a big car without a V8. My first Audi A6 with the 4.2 made me realize just how important a V8 is to the experience and feel. The Jaguar's V8 basically cemented the fact (although its SC V6 is fantastic since it is based on the 5.0).

So yeah, looking to have a pair of 400HP+ luxury sedans in my garage. I keep driving the Z and just thinking to myself "fuck...no, I'm going to miss this car too much, don't do it". But I need to. I need one leased car, and another that I own so I can rack up all the mileage on it and both me and my wife can drive anywhere we want.

:'(

Fucking Discovery 2s are way more of a pain in the ass than a discovery 1.

This dumb thing is now running lean on both banks.

I think its the MAF sensor as that is the only thing I can think of that would cause both banks to run lean.

ascii42

I swear I never want to drive a big car without a V8. My first Audi A6 with the 4.2 made me realize just how important a V8 is to the experience and feel. The Jaguar's V8 basically cemented the fact (although its SC V6 is fantastic since it is based on the 5.0).
Yep. XJ with the V6 is fine, but, with the V8 it's wonderful.

I drove the Cadillac XTS at the Atlanta auto show last year. Nice car, but it was missing something. Part of me says they should have just shoved a Northstar into the front of the thing. That and made it rear drive.

endre

Tesla is going an interesting route with their China pricing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/fair-price

Tesla
US - $81,000
China - $121,400

I looked up the prices for BMW/Audi in China

BMW 7-Series
US - Starts at $74,000
China - Starts at $154,300

Audi A8
US - Starts at $75,100
China - Starts at $144,000

Audi S8
US - Starts at $112,500
China - Starts at $328,000

Damn. That is a major issue and a not very minor issue with a new car.

Sorry to jump in, but I have a somewhat related question. Are european cars sold in the USA of cheapper quaility in order for companies to keep somewhat the same profit, due to lower prices, they are turning in Europe?

A few years ago I read something pointing to this related to a certain BMW, but thats not the reason I am asking. The reason is the following. I often read from americans that VW are poorly built. If I am not mistaking, appart from the GTI all others are made in the Americas. Could anyone with more insight share some insight? I am mainly interested in hearing oppinions from your side of the Atlantic.

I am pretty much of the oppinion that VW, or other manufactuers keep higher prices in Europe (because they obviously can), but on the other hand they do lower the quality for the American market.

ascii42

Sorry to jump in, but I have a somewhat related question. Are european cars sold in the USA of cheapper quaility in order for companies to keep somewhat the same profit, due to lower prices, they are turning in Europe?

A few years ago I read something pointing to this related to a certain BMW, but thats not the reason I am asking. The reason is the following. I often read from americans that VW are poorly built. If I am not mistaking, appart from the GTI all others are made in the Americas. Could anyone with more insight share some insight? I am mainly interested in hearing oppinions from your side of the Atlantic.

I am pretty much of the oppinion that VW, or other manufactuers keep higher prices in Europe (because they obviously can), but on the other hand they do lower the quality for the American market.
Most VW's sold here in America are built in Mexico. BMW and Mercedes build crossovers in the US, but nothing else, as far as I know

I can't comment on the actual build process and QC but I don't think the parts going into BMWs being sold in the US are very different from the ones sold in the EU. I have worked with a couple of BMW part suppliers and they get the same returned parts from all over the world.

One large reason for the visible price difference is that the prices listed on the BMW Germany website include a 19% tax whereas the price listed on US websites don't have state tax included (which can range from 0% to 12+%).

I can't comment on the actual build process and QC but I don't think the parts going into BMWs being sold in the US are very different from the ones sold in the EU. I have worked with a couple of BMW part suppliers and they get the same returned parts from all over the world.

One large reason for the visible price difference is that the prices listed on the BMW Germany website include a 19% tax whereas the price listed on US websites don't have state tax included (which can range from 0% to 12+%).

Agreed, it would be a logistics nightmare to have different quality parts (I.e. Non interchangeable from a dealer POV) for the same purpose. You'd have to set up do many measured to avoid contaminating each supply line.

Then there's also the cost of tooling up again for a different grade of quality. This would affect part durability and geometric tolerances, impacting part validation. Repeating functional and durability tests to prove the new grade meets specs.

In terms of actual quality difference it would be down to different manufacturing plants and their standard of quality. Processes and policies may differ so poorer examples never get reworked.

It's not unheard of to have multiple suppliers for the same part though, the Mazda/Ford gearbox example from the 90s is interesting.

AlphaSnake

Shitshitshitshit...have a small down payment on a 2013 Infiniti M56S.

So nervous. Hope I get approved for a decent interest rate. After trade-in I'd be paying the same monthly that I was on my 370Z, so it shouldn't be a problem for the bank to approve.

Buying cars is always such a nerve-racking experience.

AlphaSnake

Yep. XJ with the V6 is fine, but, with the V8 it's wonderful.

I drove the Cadillac XTS at the Atlanta auto show last year. Nice car, but it was missing something. Part of me says they should have just shoved a Northstar into the front of the thing. That and made it rear drive.

Yep. I've driven a handful of G37s and even the new Q50...and the VQ37 is a great engine for that car. But in the M37? It doesn't fit. Yes, it's a fantastic motor. Yes, it will haul the car along very well...faster than BMW's 3.0 turbo or Audi's SC V6.

But man, the feeling of a V8 is just...special. It's massively powerful. Has immense torque. Incredible peak power. Basically a rolling tidal wave. And yet, still so sedated, and quiet when you're not on it.

kharma45

It is. Plus the headaches of DEF, SCR, and other emission components that will definitely have issues down the line.

Issues like what? We've had 5 diesel cars over the last 13 years or so and not encountered any issues nor have I heard of anything being reported in the motoring press here.

Only issue I can think of is the DPF on modern diesel engines which can get clogged from people only doing short runs in them.

mkenyon

Banned
No. It's even better in person.
Sold.

Going to go buy an EX35 on Friday. Yay for me!
But man, the feeling of a V8 is just...special. It's massively powerful. Has immense torque. Incredible peak power. Basically a rolling tidal wave. And yet, still so sedated, and quiet when you're not on it.
I know this sounds silly, but I've had the same thoughts about my wife's Tundra. Feels really, really, really nice. It's actually what spurred me to get a little more insistent on replacing my Forrester.

AlphaSnake

Got approved for my new car.

I'm so happy I can cry...no wait...I am crying. I take delivery Friday.

AlphaSnake

Sold.

Going to go buy an EX35 on Friday. Yay for me!

I know this sounds silly, but I've had the same thoughts about my wife's Tundra. Feels really, really, really nice. It's actually what spurred me to get a little more insistent on replacing my Forrester.

My buddy had a 4.6L 2012 Tundra. Great truck, but a gas guzzler. Though he wished for the 5.7L Tri-Force motor. LOL

We loved it though.

mkenyon

Banned
My buddy had a 4.6L 2012 Tundra. Great truck, but a gas guzzler. Though he wished for the 5.7L Tri-Force motor. LOL

We loved it though.
The 5.7L feels amazing. Put 21 bales of hay (about 2 tons) in the bed on Sunday. Still drove like it was no big deal.
Got approved for my new car.

I'm so happy I can cry...no wait...I am crying. I take delivery Friday.
High five for double Infiniti Friday? I think so.

ascii42

Sometimes I consider asking if my dad would trade me his '84 Toronado for my '89 Riviera. That generation still had the longitudinally mounted V8, which is cool. I'd miss my CRT touchscreen, but man I love driving that Toro.

The 5.7L feels amazing. Put 21 bales of hay (about 2 tons) in the bed on Sunday. Still drove like it was no big deal.

Seems crazy, but I'd believe it. It was the Tundra they used to pull the space shuttle that one time, right?

Got new problems with my '97 Outback. On my way home, I noticed my engine sounding weird. I stop at an intersection, and when I start again, the engine revs and slow, revs and slows, and I notice my RPM bouncing between 1000-1200 or so.

ascii42

Got new problems with my '97 Outback. On my way home, I noticed my engine sounding weird. I stop at an intersection, and when I start again, the engine revs and slow, revs and slows, and I notice my RPM bouncing between 1000-1200 or so.

Could be a number of things. I think the first thing I'd do is trying cleaning the mass airflow sensor.

robox

making a pilgrimage to fuji speedway on sunday for one of my holy grail car shows, jcca new years meeting.
gotta figure out how to get there without a car..... >_<

Yeah, the exchange rates are not playing nice with my wallet. The car bits will be slowing down for the next little while... I did manage to buy a new turbo manifold! Twin scroll with duel MVS gates for the win. I'll have a local performance car shop fab me up some scream dumps when I get to installing it.

Next up is figuring out what size turbo to run, and the fuel system...

making a pilgrimage to fuji speedway on sunday for one of my holy grail car shows, jcca new years meeting.
gotta figure out how to get there without a car..... >_<

Oh man, I'm crazy jelly. I went a long time ago, and I plan to go back (hopefully for the GTR meet) in the next few years. It's quite the mission if you don't have a car though...

...Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom