• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! My Porsches followed me up to the frozen hell that is Michigan!

It could have gone better, though. It's zero fucking degrees outside and they were both tucked way into the back of the trailer. Pretty hilarious watching them move a Porsche 997, brand new Stingray Corvette and a Bentley out of the way to let my beat up 944 without an exhaust off the truck. I got to be that guy and drive that thing through my neighborhood at 10pm--that was embarrasing.

Then of course the 911's starter says "It's how cold? Are you serious? Fuck off and wake me in the spring!" So I had to tow it with my truck to my townhouse.

Biggest car carrier I've ever seen, though. Two fully enclosed sections, probably 80' long. Pretty cool.

Then my phone dies so I can't take a picture of them nestling into the garage. What a bummer. Oh well, time for a nice hot shower to restore feeling to my bits and pieces.

Requiem

So, I finally picked up a new car yesterday...2004 G35 coupe / 6MT:

nhu1gAol.jpg

9dUkZkIl.jpg

9QLOjvkl.jpg

Love it so far (had a smile on my face for an hour while driving it home)

Just need to get adjusted to the clutch in this car. Coming from a Maxima, the clutch is much more sporty and precise, not too much room for error...

Now I just have to decide what mods I want for it...

mkenyon

Banned
Slowly becoming the Infiniti thread!

Got the deal I wanted on this one, picking it up on Friday confirmed.

gIRnNdy.png

qh4DPCg.png

My ideal car pretty much. Might prefer a 3 series wagon, but since I'm looking at keeping this for the long haul, the service/reliability has me wooed.

Plus 300hp.

Grats to half of AutoGAF on the new whips.

Here's just a few pics from the STL Auto Show. Ended up being far too busy looking and sitting in shit to take too many pictures. Everything you'd expect was there: Stingray, 200, Mustang, entire ranges of new Acuras/Lexuses/etc.

There were two gorgeous fucking Aventadors, as well as a very pretty 2015 GT-R. Incredible looking RS7 next to a convertible R8 that honestly embarrassed the R8 in the looks department.

Finally sat in an ATS. Was really disappointed with CUE and how meh the plastic around the center stack was.

ascii42

The Stingray looks great in that color.

Finally sat in an ATS. Was really disappointed with CUE and how meh the plastic around the center stack.

I'm baffled at how the MyLink/IntelliLink system GM puts in their other cars is more responsive and usable than CUE. I guess GM gonna GM.

cube444

Issues like what? We've had 5 diesel cars over the last 13 years or so and not encountered any issues nor have I heard of anything being reported in the motoring press here.

Only issue I can think of is the DPF on modern diesel engines which can get clogged from people only doing short runs in them.

Your diesel cars in Europe don't have the restrictive emissions components I listed above that have also led to carbon buildup and EGR issues here...yet.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Slowly becoming the Infiniti thread!

Got the deal I wanted on this one, picking it up on Friday confirmed.

gIRnNdy.png

qh4DPCg.png

My ideal car pretty much. Might prefer a 3 series wagon, but since I'm looking at keeping this for the long haul, the service/reliability has me wooed.

Plus 300hp.

Is that an EX37 or 35? If it's an EX37, it has 325HP. ;)

I'm getting my M56S tomorrow, hopefully. They're driving it down to my house for all the paper work and swap of cars. My Z is pretty much completely stock. :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shitshitshitshit...have a small down payment on a 2013 Infiniti M56S.

So nervous. Hope I get approved for a decent interest rate. After trade-in I'd be paying the same monthly that I was on my 370Z, so it shouldn't be a problem for the bank to approve.

Buying cars is always such a nerve-racking experience.

test drove it. Loved it.

cube444

Shitshitshitshit...have a small down payment on a 2013 Infiniti M56S.

So nervous. Hope I get approved for a decent interest rate. After trade-in I'd be paying the same monthly that I was on my 370Z, so it shouldn't be a problem for the bank to approve.

Buying cars is always such a nerve-racking experience.

Does it come with a LSD?

mkenyon

Banned
Is that an EX37 or 35? If it's an EX37, it has 325HP. ;)

I'm getting my M56S tomorrow, hopefully. They're driving it down to my house for all the paper work and swap of cars. My Z is pretty much completely stock. :(
EX35, 2011 (7 speed, yay!). Found a helluva deal on one, basically going to be $25,000, around $27,000 out the door. Only 26K miles.

So is the plan to keep the M56S, and then get rid of the leased car, allowing you to buy the Jag?

kharma45

Your diesel cars in Europe don't have the restrictive emissions components I listed above that have also led to carbon buildup and EGR issues here...yet.

So no issues then when I chose the 320d in that hypothetical question since I'm not buying a diesel in the US. For us it's by far the best engine choice for most in the 3 Series and I'd argue in the 5 Series too.

AlphaSnake

EX35, 2011 (7 speed, yay!). Found a helluva deal on one, basically going to be $25,000, around $27,000 out the door. Only 26K miles.

So is the plan to keep the M56S, and then get rid of the leased car, allowing you to buy the Jag?

The M56S I'm trading in my Z for, and buying.

The Jag is actually the lease. But once the lease on the Jag expires, I'll definitely get another Jaguar-Land Rover car. Most likely a Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

FStop7

Banned
Sorry to jump in, but I have a somewhat related question. Are european cars sold in the USA of cheapper quaility in order for companies to keep somewhat the same profit, due to lower prices, they are turning in Europe?

A few years ago I read something pointing to this related to a certain BMW, but thats not the reason I am asking. The reason is the following. I often read from americans that VW are poorly built. If I am not mistaking, appart from the GTI all others are made in the Americas. Could anyone with more insight share some insight? I am mainly interested in hearing oppinions from your side of the Atlantic.

I am pretty much of the oppinion that VW, or other manufactuers keep higher prices in Europe (because they obviously can), but on the other hand they do lower the quality for the American market.

Not really, no. BMWs that are built in Spartanburg are just as nice as the ones built in Germany. European car makers have large currency hedges to help keep their prices down, plus there aren't huge import taxes or VATs integrated into American pricing.

mkenyon

Banned
The M56S I'm trading in my Z for, and buying.

The Jag is actually the lease. But once the lease on the Jag expires, I'll definitely get another Jaguar-Land Rover car. Most likely a Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged
Those RR Sports are bonkers. Would be a worthy trade, IMO.

cube444

So no issues then when I chose the 320d in that hypothetical question since I'm not buying a diesel in the US. For us it's by far the best engine choice for most in the 3 Series and I'd argue in the 5 Series too.

I'm not doubting that at all. It just sucks because that'll change for you guys too in the near future.

AlphaSnake

Here is, what is essentially, a roided up 370Z in my garage. Sensational car. Wish I had better pics, but the rain in Florida hasn't cleared up yet.

bAwWgRh.jpg

UCZUleA.jpg

Don't ask about the Jersey Mike's box. My wife's company treated them all to lunch and she gave it to me when I went to visit her. I ate it because I was starving. Firehouse Subs all the way!!

Those RR Sports are bonkers. Would be a worthy trade, IMO.

Indeed. They're very light, and all aluminum now. Fantastic ride and agility.

AlphaSnake

The option combo of my car is probably one of the rarest you'll find. Not only is it an S (so it has the Sport pack), but it also has the Aerodynamic Package, which includes an even sportier sport bumper, sideskirts, and rear spoiler. So there's three different front bumpers for the Ms: standard base, Sport, and Aero.

Sticker price on this thing was $73K. Not that I paid that much for it...LOL

kharma45

I'm not doubting that at all. It just sucks because that'll change for you guys too in the near future.

We've new emissions rules coming in for 2015, which from a look at Mercedes' page on it seems like they are bringing in technology like SCR, but even then the Euro VI standards still aren't as strict as the US ones. I'd still have no worries about future diesel engines and their reliability. They're too popular here for them to afford to fuck it up.

AlphaSnake

And Armin on the iPod. Good stuff and congrats on the new car.

Hell yeah. I was testing out the 16 speaker Bose in the car. After I rolled through a few of Armin's tracks, it was time for some Drake. Bass output on the car is superb, and the audio's ability to accurately portray surround sound is first rate.

A guitar slide in a metal song runs from the left to the right stage of the car's speakers. Brilliant stuff.

cube444

We've new emissions rules coming in for 2015, which from a look at Mercedes' page on it seems like they are bringing in technology like SCR, but even then the Euro VI standards still aren't as strict as the US ones. I'd still have no worries about future diesel engines and their reliability. They're too popular here for them to afford to fuck it up.

Great points. I agree.

My 335d has been pretty solid so far here in N.America but a few others have suffered from carbon buildup, stuck EGR valves and lots of trouble on the emissions from SCR metering valves, NOx sensors, DEF tanks having valves stuck etc.

No doubt that we are the guinea pigs for you European guys. :lol

I'm still bitten by the mod bug, even though I vowed "that was it" after last year.

kharma45

Great points. I agree.

My 335d has been pretty solid so far here in N.America but a few others have suffered from carbon buildup, stuck EGR valves and lots of trouble on the emissions from SCR metering valves, NOx sensors, DEF tanks having valves stuck etc.

No doubt that we are the guinea pigs for you European guys. :lol

I'm still bitten by the mod bug, even though I vowed "that was it" after last year.

That would be sad to think but it wouldn't surprise me :p The carbon build up thing as I said is all I can think that happens here but most modern engines should burn it off before it becomes an issue unless journeys being done are stupidly short.

335d is a lovely car. My aunt had a coupe one and it was a flying machine for a diesel. They're supposed to remap quite nicely too, 350 brake or so and over 500 lb/ft of torque. Surprised me she stepped down to a 320d for her next car after it (and two 530d's before it) but the mpg apparently wasn't great in her 335d.

mkenyon

Banned
EX35 bought as of last night. Only complaint is that the seating position is a little high, but at 6', I still have two inches or so.

Feels incredible. The chestnut interior does indeed look better in person. The steering is nice and heavy, and extremely responsive. It certainly feels like a better driver than the X3.

Love this car. Will post pics a bit later.

cube444

That would be sad to think but it wouldn't surprise me :p The carbon build up thing as I said is all I can think that happens here but most modern engines should burn it off before it becomes an issue unless journeys being done are stupidly short.

335d is a lovely car. My aunt had a coupe one and it was a flying machine for a diesel. They're supposed to remap quite nicely too, 350 brake or so and over 500 lb/ft of torque. Surprised me she stepped down to a 320d for her next car after it (and two 530d's before it) but the mpg apparently wasn't great in her 335d.

On the highway you get great mileage. At the right speed, gear and RPMs I've seen anywhere from 42-46 mpg but in the city that low end torque is too addictive.

No Love

Banned
On the highway you get great mileage. At the right speed, gear and RPMs I've seen anywhere from 42-46 mpg but in the city that low end torque is too addictive.

God I want to push my GF to get a 335d so badly. I found a white one with 20k miles for $30k... but I think you can get a 335i for like $22k with warranty lol. So dirt cheap.

cube444

God I want to push my GF to get a 335d so badly. I found a white one with 20k miles for $30k... but I think you can get a 335i for like $22k with warranty lol. So dirt cheap.

:lol You'd love it man. I've gone overboard with my mods but you only live once. I'm guessing the 335d has less packages and options on it than the 335i because they're usually more expensive.

AlphaSnake

EX35 bought as of last night. Only complaint is that the seating position is a little high, but at 6', I still have two inches or so.

Feels incredible. The chestnut interior does indeed look better in person. The steering is nice and heavy, and extremely responsive. It certainly feels like a better driver than the X3.

Love this car. Will post pics a bit later.

My M56S has the sport seats, and they too have a fairly high seating position. But you get used to it very quickly, and makes it easier to see over the hood, and such, and yes, still tons of headroom left.

This is my fifth Nissan, too (Maxima, FX35, 350Z, 370Z, M56S).

kharma45

I guess it depends on the journeys you're doing with it. She was getting around 30-33 US miles per gallon or so. Doesn't help either that the UK spec car of that generation was 282 brake compared to the 265 you guys get due to the exhaust filter system. Even more power to eat up tyres :p

rossonero

i am confused.
the 3 series has 4 doors
the 4 series has 2 doors but now they make a 4 door 4 series and call it gran coupe. what?

whats the difference between the 3 series gt and the 4 series gc?

Exactly what I was thinking. Wasn't the 4 series just supposed to replace the 3 series coupé?

endre

BMW said a while back that even numbers will represent 2 door coupe versions. Since the Passat CC there seems to be a demand for 4 door coupe styling. So I guess they are introducing these as well. I like this design the most, though if I had to/could buy one of these, I am not sure if I would pick it over the regular 4 door or the station wagon.

robox

the 4 series still has the totally functional and useful fender vent to tip the scales

does the 4gc have a hatch? if so, i'd pick that over the sedan
does the wagon come with the top of the line engine options? if so, i'd pick that over the 4 door coupe

and wasn't it the mb cls that started this whole 4 door coupe thing? passat anything doesn't even register with me anymore

AlphaSnake

i am confused.
the 3 series has 4 doors
the 4 series has 2 doors but now they make a 4 door 4 series and call it gran coupe. what?

whats the difference between the 3 series gt and the 4 series gc?

Get this...the 4-series Gran Coupe only seats 4 people and not 5. So you're paying more money for a car that can do less, despite it looking prettier.

Stay free, BMW.

endre

I assumed there surely was something like a gran coupe before the Volkswagen Passat CC (Passat was included in the name for the first generation). Forgot about the MB CLS for example, I am pretty sure we can dig up something of an even earlier build. But IIRC it is since around the introduction of the CC that the GC related news have increased.

I like the 4's lines the most:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/02/bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-vs-bmw-3-series-sedan/

But I would still take the bit roomier 3. Or if there would be something like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/19/rendered-speculation-bmw-m3-touring-wagon-by-jon-sibal/

ascii42

I assumed there surely was something like a gran coupe before the Volkswagen Passat CC (Passat was included in the name for the first generation). Forgot about the MB CLS for example, I am pretty sure we can dig up something of an even earlier build. But IIRC it is since around the introduction of the CC that the GC related news have increased.

I like the 4's lines the most:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/02/bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-vs-bmw-3-series-sedan/

But I would still take the bit roomier 3. Or if there would be something like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/19/rendered-speculation-bmw-m3-touring-wagon-by-jon-sibal/
According to wikipedia:
The designation was first applied to a low-roof model of the Rover P5 from 1962 until 1973,[10] but was revived by the 1985 Toyota Carina ED, the 1992 Infiniti J30 and finally by the first model 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLS

endre

LOL The GTs. That made me check the BMW website, and I have a question. In between the 1 series coupe and the the 3(4) series, where does the 2 series coupe belong?

EDIT: Nvm. The 2 series is replacing the 1 series coupe and cabrio. But they have some 1s to sell as well.

AlphaSnake

LOL The GTs. That made me check the BMW website, and I have a question. In between the 1 series coupe and the the 3(4) series, where does the 2 series coupe belong?

EDIT: Nvm. The 2 series is replacing the 1 series coupe and cabrio. But they have some 1s to sell as well.

Yeah, the 1-series will become a FWD hatchback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom