• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I assumed there surely was something like a gran coupe before the Volkswagen Passat CC (Passat was included in the name for the first generation). Forgot about the MB CLS for example, I am pretty sure we can dig up something of an even earlier build. But IIRC it is since around the introduction of the CC that the GC related news have increased.

I like the 4's lines the most:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/02/02/bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-vs-bmw-3-series-sedan/

But I would still take the bit roomier 3. Or if there would be something like this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/19/rendered-speculation-bmw-m3-touring-wagon-by-jon-sibal/

Yeah, the CLS pioneered the whole 4-door, 4-seater 'coupe' thing. VW quickly followed suit with the CC and then immediately with an A5 and S5 sedan, before the A7 and S7 ever even existed. BMW was quick to capitalize on the craze, but in their own unique and hypo-fucked up way with the BMW X6 - that was effectively the first crossover vehicle of its kind.

Now everybody is in a race to fill these gaps of offering 4-door, 4-seater "coupes":

MB CLS
MB CLA
VW CC
Audi A5/S5
Audi A7/S7
BMW 4GC
BMW 6GC

Currently, VW is the only non-luxury company to offer such a car. But I'm sure many will follow suit in due time.

It's a rather annoying trend, if I'm honest. I'm usually okay with new car trends, but forcing people to pay more for cars that offer less is a crime, not matter how beautiful they may look. They should at least be priced closer together.

Yeah, the 1-series will become a FWD hatchback.
i read that everywhere too in the last few months but in an interview last week a top manager mentioned that decision is not final yet. *fingers crossed*

It's a rather annoying trend, if I'm honest. I'm usually okay with new car trends, but forcing people to pay more for cars that offer less is a crime, not matter how beautiful they may look. They should at least be priced closer together.
i agree. its just nuts how much MB wants for the CLA which is basically an A class sedan. but they sell like crazy.

AlphaSnake

i read that everywhere too in the last few months but in an interview last week a top manager mentioned that decision is not final yet. *fingers crossed*

I'd be surprised if they turned around on that. They've been prototyping Mini-based 1-series cars for 2 years now. They'll be looking to compete against the MB A-class, Infiniti Q30, Lexus CT, and Audi A1. Making a RWD car to do that would immediately make the BMW too expensive.

I'd be surprised if they turned around on that. They've been prototyping Mini-based 1-series cars for 2 years now. They'll be looking to compete against the MB A-class, Infiniti Q30, Lexus CT, and Audi A1. Making a RWD car to do that would immediately make the BMW too expensive.

well so far the 1 series is doing very well here against all the other premium hatchbacks like the A1, A class etc. I think the A class is even more expensive than a 1 series and that one has FWD.

a lot of people love the 1 series because its the only hatchback which has RWD.

of course in the future they can save a lot of money if the mini, the 1 series and i think the new BMW Van will be based on one single platform.

TCRS

Banned

Do you mean the A3? The A1 is rather small, I think the direct competitor to the 1 and A class is the A3. Unless BMW is looking to downsize their 1 series to distinguish it more from the 2 series.

Generally I am hating following trends in the car industry:

- corporate design: Too many BMWs and Audis look too similar and now even Mercedes is following this trend with the new C class and those annoying headlights. They look great on a S-class, not so great on a fucking V-class.

- model inflation: Just look at BMW I mean jesus. Almost every series has several versions of the same car. The 1 has three versions, the 3 four, the 4 three, the 5 four and even a niche product like the 6 has three different versions. Not to mention the fact that there are so many different series. Audi is also looking to introduce a lot more models the coming years. I don't know but somehow I don't expect that from a premium car maker.

- three spoked steering wheels: now even fucking vans like the V-class have one. And while you can still choose four spoked steering wheels in Audis and MBs the standard is becomng three spoked. The four spoked Audi wheel is sloppy with huge gaps, the Mercedes one is hardly ever shown in pictures. BMW doesn't even have one. All VWs have three spoked steering wheels. Fucking Volkswagens! Three spoked steering wheels are only meant for sports cars not normal bog standard cars like the Polo. They should have a comfy good looking four spoked steering wheels that are easy to use when resting your hands at the bottom of the steering wheel. How fucking hard is that? Even Skoda has switched from four spoked to three spoked on their Yeti. I fucking hate this trend. They just look bad and fake.

sorry just had to get that off my chest.

gdt

I'm looking to start modding my BMW E60 a bit, but i don't know where to start. I want an M5 style front bumper, would Ebay be a good place to start? And painting it, can i go to the dealer? Or would a local shop be good enough. Can they obtain the exact paint needed? I really know nothing about this.

Also want to change the Angel Eyes a bit. Get white halos instead of yellowy ones.

No Love

Banned
I'm looking to start modding my BMW E60 a bit, but i don't know where to start. I want an M5 style front bumper, would Ebay be a good place to start? And painting it, can i go to the dealer? Or would a local shop be good enough. Can they obtain the exact paint needed? I really know nothing about this.

Also want to change the Angel Eyes a bit. Get white halos instead of yellowy ones.

Here's the best mod for an E60: sell it.

AlphaSnake

Cleaned the car up yesterday and took some pics in the dark.

1523248_10151996436878644_852486532_o.jpg

1622338_10151996436823644_1615661230_o.jpg

1617207_10151996436863644_1076520903_o.jpg

AlphaSnake

Stunning. Looks fantastic, far more sporty with the spoiler/kit combo.

*edit*

You also need a Tripod. :p

I took these with an HTC One. Great phone, but doesn't have the best camera and it was much darker than the photos appear - thus the pixelation. Took these around 6:20PM

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, when it's dark, the camera needs to remain totally stable. If you put the One in a tripod, then they wouldn't be blurry.

Just trying to give pointers, not take away from your gorgeous ride!

AlphaSnake

Yeah, when it's dark, the camera needs to remain totally stable. If you put the One in a tripod, then they wouldn't be blurry.

Just trying to give pointers, not take away from your gorgeous ride!

Yeah, no biggie. I have a Canon DSLR with a tripod and all...but sometimes I feel like it's such a pain taking that behemoth out, grabbing the right lens, and setting it all up.

Plus, I'd feel like a royal douche gloating, fapping, and narcissistically fawning over his car if any of my neighbors were around.

I'm oddly paranoid about the stupidest things. LOL.

ShowDog

Plus, I'd feel like a royal douche gloating, fapping, and narcissistically fawning over his car if any of my neighbors were around.

I'm oddly paranoid about the stupidest things. LOL.

Living in a lower income neighborhood, I feel this way to a degree just by virtue of owning an "unpractical" car and washing it every week. I certainly wouldn't want to be seen photographing it with a tripod on my driveway, haha. I can definitely relate.

AlphaSnake

Living in a lower income neighborhood, I feel this way to a degree just by virtue of owning an "unpractical" car and washing it every week. I certainly wouldn't want to be seen photographing it with a tripod on my driveway, haha. I can definitely relate.

Haha, yeah, it's a weird paranoid feeling. Most of my neighbors are better off than I am, as these are their vacation homes, but still...I can't help but shake that feeling of paranoia.

AlphaSnake

That aerodynamic package really sets it off. Gorgeous car.

Yep. Looks mean from the front.

Any mods planned for it Alpha?

Thanks, gang.

Tried to find a set of springs for the car, but no one makes any for the 56. Just the 37s which can be installed on my car, but don't have the correct spring rate for the slightly heavier curb weight, which will wreck havoc on the dampening, as a result. Oddly enough, the Eibach M37 springs give the car the same ride heigh as the OEM sport suspension on my car now...sooo it's moot, regardless.

But I am looking into a mild exhaust upgrade. This motor howls despite all of the exhaust restrictions on it, and I'd love to hear it opened up just a tad bit. My ECU cable (Osiris UpRev) is compatible with the car, and they will be building me a tune for the car soon.

Here is, what is essentially, a roided up 370Z in my garage. Sensational car. Wish I had better pics, but the rain in Florida hasn't cleared up yet.

bAwWgRh.jpg

UCZUleA.jpg

Don't ask about the Jersey Mike's box. My wife's company treated them all to lunch and she gave it to me when I went to visit her. I ate it because I was starving. Firehouse Subs all the way!!

Indeed. They're very light, and all aluminum now. Fantastic ride and agility.

God I love Jersey Mikes.

nayrac

2011 EX35 AWD (aka G35 hatchback). Got the Nav, Tech Package, and Bose premium sound. Absolutely perfect for what I want.

Does the Bose system in the EX35 have AudioPilot? I had that in the A3 and they didn't give you a way to turn it off. I wound up unplugging the mic.

mkenyon

Banned
Jersey Mikes is lame duck Blimpie 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Like I said, Firehouse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All
It always cracks me up when you see people fighting over which chain is better.

I bet you there's a local sandwich/sub shop within 20 miles of your house that puts both to shame. There always is.
Does the Bose system in the EX35 have AudioPilot? I had that in the A3 and they didn't give you a way to turn it off. I wound up unplugging the mic.
Nope.

So I am currently ordering a kit to swap a 6 speed Manual into my Lexus SC400, the kit calls for the flywheel to get bolted to the flexplate, to make up for the difference with the adapter plate. some people suggest highly to mill the bellhousing down as stacking that weight in the drivetrain is a bad idea. they only really mention the crank bolts working their way out as a negative.

what could be other problems from this really? crankwalk? extra clutch wear?

milling the bellhousing will be a couple extra hundred bucks.. Couldn't I just use loctite red? opinions?

kp6y.jpg

AlphaSnake

It always cracks me up when you see people fighting over which chain is better.

I bet you there's a local sandwich/sub shop within 20 miles of your house that puts both to shame. There always is.

But Firehouse is so damn good.

Local delis don't do it much for me, I find them to be more hype than anything. I've had so many different ones in NY...all hipster hype.

So I am currently ordering a kit to swap a 6 speed Manual into my Lexus SC400, the kit calls for the flywheel to get bolted to the flexplate, to make up for the difference with the adapter plate. some people suggest highly to mill the bellhousing down as stacking that weight in the drivetrain is a bad idea. they only really mention the crank bolts working their way out as a negative.

what could be other problems from this really? crankwalk? extra clutch wear?

milling the bellhousing will be a couple extra hundred bucks.. Couldn't I just use loctite red? opinions?

kp6y.jpg

I don't see how bellhousing weight will matter once it's bolted to the block unless the adapter plate isn't strong enough to hold it without deflection. You also have the transmission mounts to allow for some amount of sag. How that would work its way back to crank bolts working loose I have no idea.

What's going to do it is having aaaall that mass at the flywheel with both a flywheel and flex plate in place.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking at some wheels. So far, I really like the Enkei EKM3:

hlFUgjB.png

Sparco Assetto Gara:

JbPGt0A.png

Focal F04:

PJNPGIz.png

Sparco Tarmac:

JsmZkOF.png

O.Z. Envy:

9K6t99Q.png

Enkei M52:

mAQWJaN.png

Thoughts/suggestions?

I had the EKM3's on my WRX, and loved them:

0Xlhz6g.jpg

AlphaSnake

I probably wouldn't put a racy looking wheel on a car like that. Something more solid and aggressive would look better.

Any turbo gurus in this thread? I'm planning my twin scroll setup, and I've narrowed my choices to two sizes. I'm thinking the Garrett GTX 3071R or 3076R will be the setup for me.

I'm leaning towards the 3071R as I think the 76 might be a bit on the laggy side. I do plan to stroke the SR20 to 2.2L when this all goes down, so the larger turbo could work since I'll be making up for the lag with more torque in the lower end.

Anyone?

No Love

Banned
Any turbo gurus in this thread? I'm planning my twin scroll setup, and I've narrowed my choices to two sizes. I'm thinking the Garrett GTX 3071R or 3076R will be the setup for me.

I'm leaning towards the 3071R as I think the 76 might be a bit on the laggy side. I do plan to stroke the SR20 to 2.2L when this all goes down, so the larger turbo could work since I'll be making up for the lag with more torque in the lower end.

Anyone?

I'm a turbo guru. Make sure to get the GTX, and not the GT. Ball-bearing has much better transient response. Get the 76, you won't notice a difference in spool with a setup like that.

With a stroked 2.2 and a GTX3076r, you should get pretty rapid spool, down at low 3000-something RPM. Top end will be very nice too. If you're looking for something with better top end, get the GTX35r. It only spools a bit slower but has much better mid and top end punch. I would get the GTX3576r if you can, it's a better turbo that feels almost exactly the same in spool on the street.

I'm a turbo guru. Make sure to get the GTX, and not the GT. Ball-bearing has much better transient response. Get the 76, you won't notice a difference in spool with a setup like that.

With a stroked 2.2 and a GTX3076r, you should get pretty rapid spool, down at low 3000-something RPM. Top end will be very nice too. If you're looking for something with better top end, get the GTX35r. It only spools a bit slower but has much better mid and top end punch. I would get the GTX3576r if you can, it's a better turbo that feels almost exactly the same in spool on the street.

Cool, thank you for your insight. It's nice to hear that I can go with the larger of he two sizes, without sacrificing the response. I've still got a lot of research to do, but it's nice being able to finalize a few things.

Cheers!

Smokey

I rise from the grave

You get sniped, come back and dudes are on shopping sprees with Infinitis. Congrats to MK and Alpha. Alpha got it bad with cars

Went to Houston Auto Show before I was sniped. Only had a hour. Took pics. My thirst for the Vette increases but I will say...

That F-Type coupe is fucking boss. I need it. Probably out of my lane though at close to OT over 100k. Stunning in person. They shouldve came out with that first rather than the vert.

mkenyon

Banned
Need pics, plz post.
what's your budget? what size are you looking at? 18s? bigger?
out of enkei's lineup, i feel like the enkei ammodo may be a good match. less sporty, more style focused
Well, I just got hit with a new PC project, so the wheels are now going on hold. Buuuut, budget is just about staying reasonable. I'd prefer not to go above $200 per wheel, but could be convinced if the quality is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom