• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, not exactly models. We do work on the automotive warranty side of things, so minor variations become important. There are a huge number of permutations of 4 possible base trim levels, special editions (Z06, 427, Grand Sport, 60th Anniversary) and transmission types. Keeping track of all of that is such a pain.

ascii42

Well, not exactly models. We do work on the automotive warranty side of things, so minor variations become important. There are a huge number of permutations of 4 possible base trim levels, special editions (Z06, 427, Grand Sport, 60th Anniversary) and transmission types. Keeping track of all of that is such a pain.

The F-150 must be the worst, if cab type and bed length come into consideration.

If C7 ZR1 ever comes across your table, let us know, will ya?

I'm probably the only one who cares in GAF, but on this day(Feb 9th) was when Mazda unveiled the Miata in the 1989 Chicago Auto Show as such, today's basically the Miata's 25th birthday! Yaay!

640px-Eunos.jpg

640px-Miata_passenger_side_angle_shot_in_park.jpg

640px-3rd_Mazda_MX-5_--_06-14-2010.jpg

Clarkson sums it up best as to why the Miata is simply the best roadster in existence:

saoa.jpg

Now if only Mazda would hurry and at least show the next generation already. I love my NC, but I'm very excited for the next.

No Love

Banned
I'm probably the only one who cares in GAF, but on this day(Feb 9th) was when Mazda unveiled the Miata in the 1989 Chicago Auto Show as such, today's basically the Miata's 25th birthday! Yaay!

640px-Eunos.jpg

640px-Miata_passenger_side_angle_shot_in_park.jpg

640px-3rd_Mazda_MX-5_--_06-14-2010.jpg

Clarkson sums it up best as to why the Miata is simply the best roadster in existence:

saoa.jpg

Now if only Mazda would hurry and at least show the next generation already. I love my NC, but I'm very excited for the next.

If the new Miata has turbo and I can tune it up, I might just get one. Could be an amazingly fun car.

TCRS

Banned
Ladies and gents, the new S-Class Coupe (CL replacement):

leaked-mercedes-s-class-coupe-1.jpg

tomorrow is the official reveal. obviously toned down from the concept. a bit too much imo, I liked the aggressive front of the concept.

gdt

Do any of you guys know about tracks and such where you can just drive fast doing laps? I realy want to go somewhere where i can legally do crazy speeds. I live in PA btw.

Do any of you guys know about tracks and such where you can just drive fast doing laps? I realy want to go somewhere where i can legally do crazy speeds. I live in PA btw.

That would be track days.

Just do a google search and you can probably find some local tracks and track organizers who run days there.

If it's your first time and you haven't had previous track experience, I'd highly recommend doing your first day with an instructor. You'll still get the same track time as other classes but in between the session, you'll get classroom and one on one instruction about how to go faster and remain in control.

gdt

Also I'm considering getting bigger rims. Going from 17 to 19s. I read an article about how that will affect your fuel usage and driving performance negatively, but i want new rims without taking too much of a hit... Any opinions/advice?

Requiem

Anyone have any experience with 3M Clear Bra's?

Got to work today and realized someone hit my bumper (fucking NYC drivers)...damage isn't too bad from the looks of it but I won't know until I get it washed.

TCRS

Banned
maybe it's just the colour, I have to wait till I see a silver one, but the more I look at it the more disappointed I am by the rather dull front face. hmm...

If the new Miata has turbo and I can tune it up, I might just get one. Could be an amazingly fun car.

This is a pretty divisive subject tbh. Half of the Miata fanboys believe it's a turbo and the other half believes it's NA(I'm in that camp for reasons I'll explain in a bit).

If it does go turbo, it'll be most likely a 1.3L engine tuned to where it'll be tuned to have an NA response as much as possible. The reason why I believe this is very unlikely is coz the Skyactiv engines have a ridiculously high compression ratio. CMIIW, but wouldn't they have to reduce the comp ratios just to get a reliable engine?

On the other hand, that's why I think it'll be an NA engine. The current 2.5L engine in the Mazda6 is rated at 184hp/184 lb·ft torque. I'm willing to bet it'll have this or the 2.0L engine but with a performance tune. It's quite similar to how the current Miata and former 3/6 engines are set up. Only difference is that the Miata requires premium gas instead of regular in the 3/6's.

Either way, I'm sure the Alfa version will be stupid fast from the factory and the Miata will be the more composed twin out of the two.

cube444

Got to work today and realized someone hit my bumper (fucking NYC drivers)...damage isn't too bad from the looks of it but I won't know until I get it washed.

Are you looking to get one put on? Can be quite pricey depending on how "busy" your front end is.

No Love

Banned
This is a pretty divisive subject tbh. Half of the Miata fanboys believe it's a turbo and the other half believes it's NA(I'm in that camp for reasons I'll explain in a bit).

If it does go turbo, it'll be most likely a 1.3L engine tuned to where it'll be tuned to have an NA response as much as possible. The reason why I believe this is very unlikely is coz the Skyactiv engines have a ridiculously high compression ratio. CMIIW, but wouldn't they have to reduce the comp ratios just to get a reliable engine?

On the other hand, that's why I think it'll be an NA engine. The current 2.5L engine in the Mazda6 is rated at 184hp/184 lb·ft torque. I'm willing to bet it'll have this or the 2.0L engine but with a performance tune. It's quite similar to how the current Miata and former 3/6 engines are set up. Only difference is that the Miata requires premium gas instead of regular in the 3/6's.

Either way, I'm sure the Alfa version will be stupid fast from the factory and the Miata will be the more composed twin out of the two.

No. You can have high compression ratios and turbo no problem and be insanely reliable. Look at the S2000 motor... you can do 2x+ whp that it comes from the factory with turbo and 12:1 compression ratio.

Turbo and high compression ratios are easy to keep stable these days.

No. You can have high compression ratios and turbo no problem and be insanely reliable. Look at the S2000 motor... you can do 2x+ whp that it comes from the factory with turbo and 12:1 compression ratio.

Turbo and high compression ratios are easy to keep stable these days.

Interesting. I seem to remember an article or someone from Mazda saying that the high compression ratio's of the engine is the reason why they're hesitant to boost the engine in anyway possible. I can't find the link so maybe I'm just imagining it.

FWIW, the current Skyactiv's are running at 14:1 comp ratio and that article/statement, if it was real, came out around the early days of the Skyactivs so maybe that was more of a precautionary statement.

Oh btw, Mazda released a 25th anniversary video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_iK4mfSF4

Check out the end, that dim light next to the current generation Miata. I believe that's the very first official tease of the next generation.

gdt

Looking at rims and I'd need new tires too......dammit. At least $1500...probably $1600. mmmmmmmm but they'll taste so good.

NYR

3M is dead - look into xpel. 3M will yellow over time, xpel won't.

cube444

Also I'm considering getting bigger rims. Going from 17 to 19s. I read an article about how that will affect your fuel usage and driving performance negatively, but i want new rims without taking too much of a hit... Any opinions/advice?

I prefer 18s due to potholes and more rubber between the rim and road. 19s look better though in most cases. It really is a personal preference thing.

I blew $5,500 on a set of wheels and rubber two years ago.

mkenyon

Banned
The only thing that would negatively affect your fuel usage would be increasing unsprung weight, or total diameter of wheel+tire. So if you get a 19" wheel and tire combo that weighs the same as an 18" wheel and tire combo, there shouldn't be any difference outside of ride comfort (less cushion). Handling should be superior though.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Don't rub it in! :( The list is getting long though and the dealers are so blasé about it all.

3.5L+ oil used in 3000 miles
Camshaft sensor replaced (may not have been faulty)
Crankshaft "adjusted"
Drive shaft seal to be replaced

Will be talking to the sales woman that sold me the car to see if she can sort something out.
What's the update on this?

Did they replace your engine or lemon the car yet?
Those seem like the only reasonable outcomes to me

Well I figured I'd ask this here for all your knowledgeable auto folk.

I've been having to drive my Camaro this winter in Chicago, and while it take it to a manual wash weekly, I feel like I need to wash the underneath too because of all the salt. Can I just give it a good spray with water or would I need to use a soap/water solution for the undercarriage?

No Love

Banned

I've been having to drive my Camaro this winter in Chicago, and while it take it to a manual wash weekly, I feel like I need to wash the underneath too because of all the salt. Can I just give it a good spray with water or would I need to use a soap/water solution for the undercarriage?

I'd use a pressure washer personally.

Smokey

Great morning.

On way to work a metal piece falls off of a truck in front of me in traffic. Can't avoid it. Run it over.
Alerts immediately go off about the right tire. I'm about 1 mile from work. Try and get to nearest exit. Nope. All kinds of disturbing sounds coming from the car. Pull over on the shoulder. Call BMW Roadside services.. Going to be 45-60 min wait. FML.

Luckily there is a discount tire a few blocks up where I was able to towed. Awkward as fuck sitting in a truck with 2 russians. I bought my tires from DT and bought full replacement warranty for rears but not fronts. FML #2. Was able to get a pro rated credit applied though. Of course the time I don't have run flats.. I could have used them. Waiting for new tire to be installed. Morning cost me around $200 :(

Most automatic washes in the north offer underbody blasts to account for this; I think that should be enough. Soap can't hurt but water would be fine if you're doing it yourself.

And god, going to a manual carwash in Chicago's winter? Don't you freeze your ass off doing that?

I'd use a pressure washer personally.

Sweet. Theres a place by me where I can rent them from. I gotta see if I can jack my car high enough so I can keep some distance and not blast my face too.

Most automatic washes in the north offer underbody blasts to account for this; I think that should be enough. Soap can't hurt but water would be fine if you're doing it yourself.

And god, going to a manual carwash in Chicago's winter? Don't you freeze your ass off doing that?

Thanks. I was always under the impression the auto washers scratch up you car. Am I wrong in thinking this?

And nope, luckily they have indoor seating :)

Edit: By manual I meant other people do it for me while I wait, not me doing it.

Viperbah

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001XSJI38/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have used this stuff with good results on cars that I detail.....or you can always spend 3k for a used S10 as a beater.

mkenyon

Banned
Great morning.

On way to work a metal piece falls off of a truck in front of me in traffic. Can't avoid it. Run it over.
Alerts immediately go off about the right tire. I'm about 1 mile from work. Try and get to nearest exit. Nope. All kinds of disturbing sounds coming from the car. Pull over on the shoulder. Call BMW Roadside services.. Going to be 45-60 min wait. FML.

Luckily there is a discount tire a few blocks up where I was able to towed. Awkward as fuck sitting in a truck with 2 russians. I bought my tires from DT and bought full replacement warranty for rears but not fronts. FML #2. Was able to get a pro rated credit applied though. Of course the time I don't have run flats.. I could have used them. Waiting for new tire to be installed. Morning cost me around $200 :(
*hug*

Think if you ran over that in your new Vette. :/

Smokey

*hug*

Think if you ran over that in your new Vette. :/

It could've been much worse. Couldve lost control or something as soon as it blew. Was in the middle laneand that would've been rough.

I don't have a spare. Going to do research and might look into some Pilot Sport PS2 run flats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom