• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I was always under the impression the auto washers scratch up you car. Am I wrong in thinking this?

And nope, luckily they have indoor seating :)

Edit: By manual I meant other people do it for me while I wait, not me doing it.

Ohhhh okay I gotcha. Yeah you run the risk of grit getting caught in the wipers at an auto place but I think that's pretty uncommon. I'd still prefer manual over auto. Ask if they do an underbody blast at the place you go to, I bet they do.

No Love

Banned
It could've been much worse. Couldve lost control or something as soon as it blew. Was in the middle laneand that would've been rough.

I don't have a spare. Going to do research and might look into some Pilot Sport PS2 run flats.

Don't bother. Runflats are still not worth it. You would've just ended up driving somewhere and having to get the tire changed anyways.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This is the 3 year reliability study for 2011 model vehicles.

12c2f593e902b8db6cf63cb81ccf78b2x.jpg

Notice Jaguar has surged and is in a virtual tie with Mazda, BMW, Subaru and Chevy. Infiniti is a notch above those guys. Lexus is in some orgasmic cloud of reliability where in 3 years of ownership they will exhibit 0.6 problems. Crazy. BMW also had a jump since 2011 was the introduction of the N55 motor for all cars with the 3.0 turbo, which also include all new fuel pump assemblies, and all new injectors. The N54 was also refined and kept for the Z4 and 335is, though.

Nissan has plummeted primarily because of the steering column lock failure issues that plague every single Nissan from 2009-2012. The culprit is a faulty motor that would not unlock the steering column when the car is turned on and will also not actually allow the car to start. Fortunately, I never experienced this in my Z, because I pulled the fuse that controlled that awful little demon motor (with no ill effect), but it was a very widespread issue that left even GTRs stranded. I think Nissan actually issued a recall for it last year.

JD Power stated there was an alarming amount of 4-cylinder motors that were highly problematic. You can blame Volkswagen and Audi's entire lineup for that. Those motors are riddled with camshaft issues, oil burning, thermostat lock/no coolant flow/overheating, and a deluge of other embarrassing issues that you'd think we left behind in the 80s and 90s.

Buttons

Such a shame to see Mini that low. Although one should note that a large portion of Mini's sold in the US are Cooper S models that used to have a problem with the timing chain. The Cooper and One have a different engine and are very reliable, I drive a Mini One myself.
Or maybe their US models just have horrible quality, I tend to notice many problems on the US forums but the European forums have way way less. Who knows.
VW and BMW (some of the previous 1-series engines) had the same issue with some of their engines having timing chain issues.

How the hell is Lexus more reliable than Toyota and Toyota more reliable than Scion? That's some magical shit right there.

Oh btw, Jalopnik has video of that sinkhole as it happened. I'm not posting it here coz it's too sad. :(

rokkerkory

Notice Jaguar has surged and is in a virtual tie with Mazda, BMW, Subaru and Chevy. Infiniti is a notch above those guys. Lexus is in some orgasmic cloud of reliability where in 3 years of ownership they will exhibit 0.6 problems. Crazy. BMW also had a jump since 2011 was the introduction of the N55 motor for all cars with the 3.0 turbo, which also include all new fuel pump assemblies, and all new injectors. The N54 was also refined and kept for the Z4 and 335is, though.

Nissan has plummeted primarily because of the steering column lock failure issues that plague every single Nissan from 2009-2012. The culprit is a faulty motor that would not unlock the steering column when the car is turned on and will also not actually allow the car to start. Fortunately, I never experienced this in my Z, because I pulled the fuse that controlled that awful little demon motor (with no ill effect), but it was a very widespread issue that left even GTRs stranded. I think Nissan actually issued a recall for it last year.

JD Power stated there was an alarming amount of 4-cylinder motors that were highly problematic. You can blame Volkswagen and Audi's entire lineup for that. Those motors are riddled with camshaft issues, oil burning, thermostat lock/no coolant flow/overheating, and a deluge of other embarrassing issues that you'd think we left behind in the 80s and 90s.

Mini wow? hmmm

AlphaSnake

How the hell is Lexus more reliable than Toyota and Toyota more reliable than Scion? That's some magical shit right there.

Oh btw, Jalopnik has video of that sinkhole as it happened. I'm not posting it here coz it's too sad. :(

Ever since Lexus and Toyota stopped rebadging cars, the parity between the two has significantly changed. Lexus uses much better components all the way through. You also have to look at the lineup of both brands, they're completely different. At this point, the two brands hardly share anything anymore. The last remaining facet was the last gen ES350, but even that was a highly redesigned car inside and out - it just rode on a Camry chassis.

Today, the new ES350 shares nothing with the Camry anymore.

Lexus' is one of those bulletproof brands, they really are. My best friend had a 2010 LS460 that he beat the absolute shit out of for 55K miles. And I mean it...he kept it at redline 80% of the time. I've never seen a car take that kind of abuse for 3 years and 55k miles and never once see a dealership for anything other than oil changes. And this in NYC, on top of that.

He wasn't any kinder to his 2006 GS300, admittedly. Japanese cars somehow manage to take the abuse better than any other brand. I beat the hell out of my 350Z in NYC for 48K miles and it never skipped a beat. My uncle would lease G35s and G37s and tear them apart for 36K miles and all he'd have to show for it was some curbed wheels and scratches on the bumpers from bottoming out.

No Love

Banned
Ever since Lexus and Toyota stopped rebadging cars, the parity between the two has significantly changed. Lexus uses much better components all the way through. You also have to look at the lineup of both brands, they're completely different. At this point, the two brands hardly share anything anymore. The last remaining facet was the last gen ES350, but even that was a highly redesigned car inside and out - it just rode on a Camry chassis.

Today, the new ES350 shares nothing with the Camry anymore.

Lexus' is one of those bulletproof brands, they really are. My best friend had a 2010 LS460 that he beat the absolute shit out of for 55K miles. And I mean it...he kept it at redline 80% of the time. I've never seen a car take that kind of abuse for 3 years and 55k miles and never once see a dealership for anything other than oil changes. And this in NYC, on top of that.

He wasn't any kinder to his 2006 GS300, admittedly. Japanese cars somehow manage to take the abuse better than any other brand. I beat the hell out of my 350Z in NYC for 48K miles and it never skipped a beat. My uncle would lease G35s and G37s and tear them apart for 36K miles and all he'd have to show for it was some curbed wheels and scratches on the bumpers from bottoming out.

There's people with like 200k miles on their IS-F's and I think the worst repair they had to do was change the shocks on the suspension.

Lexus quality is through the roof. I'd buy an IS-F simply because I could own it for 300k miles and never worry about a damn thing. If you're getting a Lexus you have nothing to worry about, period. Awesome cars.

AlphaSnake

There's people with like 200k miles on their IS-F's and I think the worst repair they had to do was change the shocks on the suspension.

Lexus quality is through the roof. I'd buy an IS-F simply because I could own it for 300k miles and never worry about a damn thing. If you're getting a Lexus you have nothing to worry about, period. Awesome cars.

Yep. The ISF's powertrain is basically a hopped up version of what powers the LS460. Same transmission with new drive logic, and a bored version of the 1UR-GSE, making it the 2UR-GSE in the ISF.

88random

I'm not very surprised that MINI is at the bottom. Overpriced peace of crap.

I knew that Lexus is good, but didn't know it was that good. I've always liked them.

AlphaSnake

Lincoln being much higher on the list than Ford is interesting, but not that surprising, I guess.

Ford's smaller and less expensive line-up of cars amount to more issues. In general, compare the small amount of cars Lincoln offers, and the vast amount Ford does. That's where your differences primarily end up.

ascii42

Ford's smaller and less expensive line-up of cars amount to more issues. In general, compare the small amount of cars Lincoln offers, and the vast amount Ford does. That's where your differences primarily end up.

True. Plus a lot of Lincolns are probably driven by older people who only put a couple thousand miles on the car per year. Fewer miles driven, fewer issues. Same deal with Buick and Cadillac.

True. Plus a lot of Lincolns are probably driven by older people who only put a couple thousand miles on the car per year. Fewer miles driven, fewer issues. Same deal with Buick and Cadillac.

I am surprised at Lincoln as well, a lot of the parts are common with Ford.

Cadillac, not so much. Better quality parts are used and the cars are built to a higher standard.

minx

Went to the Chicago auto show and narrowed down my next car to eithrr a soul red Mazda 6 Grand Touring or a Ruby Red Ford Fusion Hybrid aTitanium with heated steering wheel and cooled seats. Both would be around 30k. Can't make up my mind but Mazda 6 reliability might sway me. Both have wonky touchscreens. Both drive well. I like how unique the 6 is tho.

No Love

Banned
Went to the Chicago auto show and narrowed down my next car to eithrr a soul red Mazda 6 Grand Touring or a Ruby Red Ford Fusion Hybrid aTitanium with heated steering wheel and cooled seats. Both would be around 30k. Can't make up my mind but Mazda 6 reliability might sway me. Both have wonky touchscreens. Both drive well. I like how unique the 6 is tho.

Mazda 6. Looks way better and Mazdas drive so damn well. Mazda 6 is freaking BEAUTIFULLLLLLL

No Love

Banned
Looks like mid 2015.

I just remember seeing this car a long ass time ago and thinking it should be out by now.

Damn. Lame. I really want one but might end up going with the new Z06 instead. If I can get one later this year, that is. But the NSX will be a work of art, I know that.

So even engines are not shared anymore? I thought they were still shared since they share the same naming scheme.

Either way, that's good to know. I've always wanted the old IS' with the manual trans, I might actually buy one now when the time comes lol.

I wouldn't mind it if Honda actually releases the NSX... that'd mean that we have a really good chance of seeing a new RX-7 and the FT-1 turn into a production model. But they gotta price it right though, the Corvette's performance and price has already won my heart. It needs to equal or surpass the 'vette in those categories, otherwise it'll be an easy decision for me.

No Love

Banned
So even engines are not shared anymore? I thought they were still shared since they share the same naming scheme.

Either way, that's good to know. I've always wanted the old IS' with the manual trans, I might actually buy one now when the time comes lol.

I wouldn't mind it if Honda actually releases the NSX... that'd mean that we have a really good chance of seeing a new RX-7 and the FT-1 turn into a production model. But they gotta price it right though, the Corvette's performance and price has already won my heart. It needs to equal or surpass the 'vette in those categories, otherwise it'll be an easy decision for me.

FT-1 was just confirmed to be the new Supra and is going into production. Boom.

Kornflayx

Hey guys, longtime lurker here.
In the near future I'm looking to purchase my first car. I'm just getting into the whole process of choosing a car.
Since you all seem to be vastly more knowledgeable about this than me, here is a question. What's the best car I could get for about 20k?
The car should have a bit more power to it than the average car. Mileage is not my biggest concern right now. Will probably drive it for around 2-3 years max.
I hope you guys can help me out.

AlphaSnake

Apart from the 4.6L in the Tundra, nope (and even that's a slightly different motor redesigned specifically for truck duties). All of Lexus' cars are RWD based, only the CT and ES are FWD.

And motors and transmissions are the least of all problems on these cars, anyways.

mkenyon

Banned
In the near future I'm looking to purchase my first car. I'm just getting into the whole process of choosing a car.
Since you all seem to be vastly more knowledgeable about this than me, here is a question. What's the best car I could get for about 20k?
The car should have a bit more power to it than the average car. Mileage is not my biggest concern right now. Will probably drive it for around 2-3 years max.
Used or new? If used, mileage? 4 door? Hatchback? AWD? Reliability?

Immediately, I think Mazda 3 if new.

Kornflayx

Used or new? If used, mileage? 4 door? Hatchback? AWD? Reliability?

Immediately, I think Mazda 3 if new.

I don't really care about old or new, as long as it doesn't have too much mileage on it (let's say around 45 - 50k miles tops). 4 door is not really necessary since I rarely have more than 1 passenger.
Hatchback could be an option. My brother drives a BMW 135i which I always thought looked kinda cool. AWD would be cool, but again not necessary.
Reliability is my main concern apart from performance, so whichever is best would get serious consideration

I picked up a new tyre pump recently and it uses a screw type connection to the tyre's valve. It works fine on my rear tyres, but the fronts (diff. tyre and valve assembly) don't work with it. When screwing it on it doesn't appear to reach pin.

I've tried looking for an extension but none of my search terms bring anything suitable up, is there a specific term for this sort of extension?

mkenyon

Banned
I don't really care about old or new, as long as it doesn't have too much mileage on it (let's say around 45 - 50k miles tops). 4 door is not really necessary since I rarely have more than 1 passenger.
Hatchback could be an option. My brother drives a BMW 135i which I always thought looked kinda cool. AWD would be cool, but again not necessary.
Reliability is my main concern apart from performance, so whichever is best would get serious consideration
WRX, G37, and 350Z/370Z would be what I would look at used (as I just was, but with a slightly higher budget, settled on EX35).

New, Mazda 3.

I'm sure some people would also recommend Mustangs and possibly Genesis Coupes?

Ovid

Nice to see a few American brands near the top.

Jeep near the bottom? I honestly never would've guessed it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Such a shame to see Mini that low. Although one should note that a large portion of Mini's sold in the US are Cooper S models that used to have a problem with the timing chain.
How does an automaker manage to fuck up a timing chain?

No Love

Banned
Ok guys, really thinking by end of year I want to pick up one of the new monsters coming out this year...

My list goes like this:

1. New Z06 (for obvious reasons)
2. Jaguar F Type R coupe (obvious reasons... because it's sexy as fuck and Jaguar is making all the right moves)
3. M4/M5 (love these cars but I'm afraid they're going to outclassed heavily by the Z06 and F Type R)

Any input? I'd love your guys' input on this.Still picking up the E39 M5 as a beater and really want to grab my friend's Evo 9 SE to turn into a stroked, built 650+ whp sleeper... but I also have the hankering to buy one of these 'new' supercars. Never bought a new car before so to do it with something special would be really nice.

AlphaSnake

Jaguar, by a country mile.

Nothing against the Z06, but I just find the Jag more appealing inside and out.

Requiem

Check out a G35/G37 coupe. Good amount of power, reasonably reliable and you can get either something really recent or something very well maintained for 20K

Forsete

How does an automaker manage to fuck up a timing chain?

IIRC in VWs case it came down to the long life service bullshit they are trying to force on people.
The chain does not get lubricated enough because of old oil, which wears down the chain.

15000km intervals unless you are driving a taxi.

mkenyon

Banned
Check out a G35/G37 coupe. Good amount of power, reasonably reliable and you can get either something really recent or something very well maintained for 20K
Interesting thing to note, while I was researching springs for my EX35, the Sedan actually weighs less than the coupe.

AlphaSnake

So the motor in my M56S is apparently extremely underrated. People are strapping their VK56VD equipped cars on dynos and getting results that don't fall in line with 15% drivetrain loss. InsideLine did a test a few years ago that lined up a bunch of big V8s (Coyota 5.0 Stang, LS3 Camaro, Hyundai Genesis R-Spec, and M56s). All of the results were well within line for all motors except the Infiniti.

dyno%20chart%20M56-thumb-717x477-86340.jpg

That's on 91 octane, I should add. At 15% that's 440HP crank...add about 5HP for 93 octane.

And tuning the motor nets an easy 25-30WHP and 35lbs of WTQ. :|

mkenyon

Banned
So the motor in my M56S is apparently extremely underrated. People are strapping their VK56VD equipped cars on dynos and getting results that don't fall in line with 15% drivetrain loss. InsideLine did a test a few years ago that lined up a bunch of big V8s (Coyota 5.0 Stang, LS3 Camaro, Hyundai Genesis R-Spec, and M56s). All of the results were well within line for all motors except the Infiniti.

dyno%20chart%20M56-thumb-717x477-86340.jpg

That's on 91 octane, I should add. At 15% that's 440HP crank...add about 5HP for 93 octane.

And tuning the motor nets an easy 25-30WHP and 35lbs of WTQ. :|
Meanwhile, somewhere in Florida....

AlphaSnake

Hahaha. It has NY plates, but oddly enough this is filmed near my brother's house. I don't know who the owners are, though.

ruxtpin

Banned
Does anyone have any idea what's up with the 2014 Civic Si sedan? On the Honda website the normal Civic sedan and coupes are all 2014 models, but the Si is still listed as a 2013. I can't find any news about the 14 Si sedan on google.

AlphaSnake

BMW 218i and 225i Active Tourer. With M-Sport option available.

7DHjirN.jpg

FWD

Wtf...why the fuck did they name this a 2-series? That just shits all over the 228 and 235 coupes. Now half of the populous is going to think they're all FWD cars.

Seriously, fuck you and your ridiculous naming conventions BMW. None of them make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom