• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Ok guys, really thinking by end of year I want to pick up one of the new monsters coming out this year...

My list goes like this:

1. New Z06 (for obvious reasons)
2. Jaguar F Type R coupe (obvious reasons... because it's sexy as fuck and Jaguar is making all the right moves)
3. M4/M5 (love these cars but I'm afraid they're going to outclassed heavily by the Z06 and F Type R)

Any input? I'd love your guys' input on this.Still picking up the E39 M5 as a beater and really want to grab my friend's Evo 9 SE to turn into a stroked, built 650+ whp sleeper... but I also have the hankering to buy one of these 'new' supercars. Never bought a new car before so to do it with something special would be really nice.

There is no loser here.

Since you said you're still getting a m5 beater to me it's between jag and z06...im rolling with a z06 in that case.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_n0zyyiAsgK1s5rsdao1_500.gif

BMW 2 Active Tourer: I don't know man. Making it part of the 2 series is dumb but I do actually like its look. I can see it becoming successful at least in Europe. Soccer mums won't care that it's a FWD, they'll see a shiny practical car with a BMW badge. I also like the interior, finally a different gear stick and steering wheel.

Lizardus

Just wondering if you guys can offer your opinion on this. I noticed that there seems to be a rust spot/paint chip on the rear driver's side wheelwell and the floor paneling in the rear seems to be damaged. I know its an automatic but it has such low kms and its stock. Might be a contender for a 5-spd manual conversion in the future. Its a 1993 Toyota Supra TT. How much would a comparable Supra go for in the US?

http://www.vancouvervelocitycars.com/en/used/1993-toyota-supra-2jz-gte-rz-twin-turbo-280hp/5310255/

Ok guys, really thinking by end of year I want to pick up one of the new monsters coming out this year...

My list goes like this:

1. New Z06 (for obvious reasons)
2. Jaguar F Type R coupe (obvious reasons... because it's sexy as fuck and Jaguar is making all the right moves)
3. M4/M5 (love these cars but I'm afraid they're going to outclassed heavily by the Z06 and F Type R)

Any input? I'd love your guys' input on this.Still picking up the E39 M5 as a beater and really want to grab my friend's Evo 9 SE to turn into a stroked, built 650+ whp sleeper... but I also have the hankering to buy one of these 'new' supercars. Never bought a new car before so to do it with something special would be really nice.

I was under the impression the Z06 wasn't hitting dealerships til next year?

Either way, the Z06 will embarrass the fuck out of the other two in terms of performance. Jag/M4/5 will have nicer interiors though.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
How often will you be driving in a 550HP Supercharged V8 monster that looks like the F-Type does and think to yourself, "man, I wish I had that extra 6% performance that the Corvette has"?

If that thought ever crosses your mind, then you're picky as fuck.

Lizardus

How often will you be driving in a 550HP Supercharged V8 monster that looks like the F-Type does and think to yourself, "man, I wish I had that extra 6% performance that the Corvette has"?

This.

I am not sure how the reliability is on newer Jags but for everything else, Jag is the way to go.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
We've hadn't had gasoline in this thread in a while...

I'll change that!

dKs3gwi.jpg

Speed3? Cheapest and FWD.

ascii42

Wtf...why the fuck did they name this a 2-series? That just shits all over the 228 and 235 coupes. Now half of the populous is going to think they're all FWD cars.

Seriously, fuck you and your ridiculous naming conventions BMW. None of them make any sense at all.

Yeah, I thought the point of having a 1 and 2 series was so they could have both really small FWD cars (1-series) and really small RWD cars (2-series). Whatever.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Yep. And a simple ECU tune would cure that bellyache in a matter of minutes, anyway.

Not to mention, a lot of people believe the F-Type's V8 is underrated to begin with.

Smokey

Or you could drive a monster in the Z06 and know you have a legit car that competes or beats the exotics of the world. If you want the best performance period for your dollar in that range, that doesn't make you picky.

NYR

This is the 3 year reliability study for 2011 model vehicles.

12c2f593e902b8db6cf63cb81ccf78b2x.jpg

Notice Jaguar has surged and is in a virtual tie with Mazda, BMW, Subaru and Chevy. Infiniti is a notch above those guys. Lexus is in some orgasmic cloud of reliability where in 3 years of ownership they will exhibit 0.6 problems. Crazy. BMW also had a jump since 2011 was the introduction of the N55 motor for all cars with the 3.0 turbo, which also include all new fuel pump assemblies, and all new injectors. The N54 was also refined and kept for the Z4 and 335is, though.

Nissan has plummeted primarily because of the steering column lock failure issues that plague every single Nissan from 2009-2012. The culprit is a faulty motor that would not unlock the steering column when the car is turned on and will also not actually allow the car to start. Fortunately, I never experienced this in my Z, because I pulled the fuse that controlled that awful little demon motor (with no ill effect), but it was a very widespread issue that left even GTRs stranded. I think Nissan actually issued a recall for it last year.

JD Power stated there was an alarming amount of 4-cylinder motors that were highly problematic. You can blame Volkswagen and Audi's entire lineup for that. Those motors are riddled with camshaft issues, oil burning, thermostat lock/no coolant flow/overheating, and a deluge of other embarrassing issues that you'd think we left behind in the 80s and 90s.
Wow, this made me skip a heart beat. I just bought a Mercedes, and when I saw it near the top, I shuddered....and then I realized being near the top is better, lol.

BMW 218i and 225i Active Tourer. With M-Sport option available.

7DHjirN.jpg

FWD
Ugh. Just left the BMW brand, they have let me down so much with their lack of innovation in their design. So bland and boring relative to what Audi and Mercedes are doing.

Fisker Automotive has been sold, ladies and gentlemen. According to Automotive News, Wanxiang from China won the company after a few tense days of bidding between it and Hybrid Tech Holdings from Hong Kong. The winning bid came in at $149.2 million, which, rather interestingly, is almost six times the amount Fisker itself sought to recover from bankruptcy.

Peace out, Fisker.

AlphaSnake

Peace out, Fisker.

Peace out?

You couldn't have it any more backwards. Chinese businesses are looooooooooaded with money. They are going to stuff Fisker with resources and cash - Tesla should actually be very worried about this acquisition. Also the fact that Wanxiang owns the battery supplier for Fisker is massive!

Asian companies such as Tata and Geely have been able to shove cash down the throats of their automotive businesses (Jaguar-Land Rover and Volvo, respectively) allowing them to thrive considerably.

Peace out?

You couldn't have it any more backwards. Chinese businesses are looooooooooaded with money. They are going to stuff Fisker with resources and cash - Tesla should actually be very worried about this acquisition. Also the fact that Wanxiang owns the battery supplier for Fisker is massive!

Asian companies such as Tata and Geely have been able to shove cash down the throats of their automotive businesses (Jaguar-Land Rover and Volvo, respectively) allowing them to thrive considerably.

Yes they are, and I have no desire to give them any more of mine. Peace out implied I was done with them personally. They'll obviously get a massive infusion of cash now and be resurrected as something, but something I want nothing to do with (or can afford currently if I did), not that I did previously either, but the same goes for Volvo and some other brands, sadly.

The levels of corruption, patent infringement and other issues in that country are just appaling to me. I know the rest of the world has its share of problems, but in this conversation, most of the rest of the world also isn't building or investing in car companies. I would have just as little interest in Russian cars being brought over to the US, because fuck Putin and his oligarchy.

http://www.complex.com/rides/2013/10/chinese-car-company-knockoffs/landwind-x6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/11/autos-aston-china-idUSL2N0LC13S20140211

I'm citing a few reasons before the inevitable "YOUR SHIT IS MADE IN CHINA" debate, headaches, etc.

Patriots7

I'm not even offended by the fact that BMW has lost any sense with their naming conventions. (It's not a coupe)
I'm not even offended that it's FWD.

I'm offended that it's hideous.

(And will dominate sorority houses for years to come)

So, I'm in the car market again.

I want an A6. I could afford an A6. But I can't justify it.
I'm thinking -

Infiniti M37: I like Infiniti. I have always liked the M.
VW Touareg: Garbage reliability?
Infinti FX/JX: I like both, but the JX is too big, FX is going to replaced in 2 years.
Audi Q5: I've mocked far to many guys who drive one for me to own one, but it's not my fault that Audi doesn't make something between the Q5 and Q7

I feel like the M37 makes the most sense.

AlphaSnake

Yes they are, and I have no desire to give them any more of mine. Peace out implied I was done with them personally. They'll obviously get a massive infusion of cash now and be resurrected as something, but something I want nothing to do with (or can afford currently if I did), not that I did previously either, but the same goes for Volvo and some other brands, sadly.

Why? I'm sorry to say, but that's a pretty narrow minded perspective. The cars continue to be built in their native homelands...jobs remain where they were initially. Even Saab was just recently started up again (also acquired by a Chinese company) and they kept all production in Trollhattan. Same goes for Volvo. Same goes for Jaguar-Land Rover.

The companies that own them are nothing more than a bank from whom they can request money from. The CEOs continue to be in-house folk.

Why? I'm sorry to say, but that's a pretty narrow minded perspective. The cars continue to be built in their native homelands...jobs remain where they were initially. Even Saab was just recently started up again (also acquired by a Chinese company) and they kept all production in Trollhattan. Same goes for Volvo. Same goes for Jaguar-Land Rover.

The companies that own them are nothing more than a bank from whom they can request money from. The CEOs continue to be in-house folk.

I've heard that Volvo wants to start exporting cars made in China to the US fairly soon, as an example. Here's a link:

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...china-to-come-to-u.s.-fairly-quickly-says-ceo

Volvos produced in China will be exported to the U.S. market "fairly quickly," Hakan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Car Corp. said at the Automotive News World Congress.

Believe me, I'm not one and done on this by any means, I simply have a mountain of past cases, issues, etc. that make me highly cautious of products tied so closely to China.

cube444

I'm not even offended by the fact that BMW has lost any sense with their naming conventions. (It's not a coupe)
I'm not even offended that it's FWD.

I'm offended that it's hideous.

(And will dominate sorority houses for years to come)

I'm thinking -

Infinti FX/JX: I like both, but the JX is too big, FX is going to replaced in 2 years.
Audi Q5: I've mocked far to many guys who drive one for me to own one, but it's not my fault that Audi doesn't make something between the Q5 and Q7

Touareg and Q5 in diesel are pretty solid.

robox

Any inherent flaws with RHD besides not being able to use drive-through?

not really. just explains the price. some people are weary of imported cars and thus lower demand on them. same thing happened to rx-7.
just be more careful doing left turns.

Believe me, I'm not one and done on this by any means, I simply have a mountain of past cases, issues, etc. that make me highly cautious of products tied so closely to China.

china is an enigma. they're so big that they can't be generalized anymore. sure china is a big source of cheap and badly bootlegged goods. but they also produce tons of stuff for many well respected, international brands. and as the country grows richer, its consumers become savvier, and in turn its producers understand and evolve to cater both domestic and worldwide consumers

like jaguar's never been more exciting in the last 30 years

AlphaSnake

I'm thinking -

Driven them all. Owned some. You should look at the Jaguar XF 3.0 Supercharged. Fantastic car, same price as the Audi and Infiniti. I'll break down your list first:

Infiniti M37: Fantastic car. Sports package is a must, imo. You probably noticed I just got an M56S and I just can't imagine owning this car without the sports pack. Massive driving improvement, from looks (bumper, headlights, side skirts, spoiler) to performance (better brakes, better wheels and tires, better suspension, etc). Yes, the sports pack is rougher because of its 20s...but if you live in an area where the roads are smooth, get it! The interior is top notch stuff, and reliability is about as perfect as you can get. Plus the user interface for the navi, audio, etc is really good and very intuitive.

VW Touareg: Awful car. Unreliable. Pitiful and slow. Cheap plastics all over with an underserved price tag.

Infiniti FX: Great car. Not a whole lot different than the M37, just taller with an interior resembling the G37/EX37, as opposed to the classier M. Aesthetically not for everyone (droopy headlights are a turn off).

Infiniti JX: It's a minivan, FWD, with CVT. Do you need this in your life?

Audi Q5: All Q5s are either 2.0T or 3.0 supercharged. And all of those motors are unreliable garbage. My cousin has a 2011 Q5 with the 3.2 in it, and the ZF 6-speed auto - which being so late in their life cycle are great and reliable. But the newer drivetrains are horrible. Also, the interior is two Audi generations old, dating back to 2005 when the interior first debuted in the Audi A6. Which leads me to...

Audi A6: My God please avoid this car at all costs. I had a 2012 3.0T Supercharged. I loved it for the first few thousand miles, until it decided it didn't love me back nearly as much. I realized I could never get comfortable in the car's seats. They just aren't very good, and the driving position always felt a little odd. I realized the car handles poorly and the S-Line package is an absolute must...but the S-Line doesn't fix the awful electric steering which just allows the car to float on the highway. It never feels buttoned down. Worst of all, it's the lack of reliability within 12K miles:

-Excessive oil consumption
-Consumption corrected...and came right back
-Thermostat broken/No coolant flow, overheating engine
-Ventilation stopped sending heat (in the middle of the winter)

This kind of shit doesn't fly with me, so I didn't want to take the car with me when I moved to Florida. My dad regrets taking it off my hands (I wanted to lease trade it to someone else). So I ended up getting a 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0

-Jaguar XF: They don't make the 5.0 anymore, but I had a 3.0 Supercharged as a loaner car, and it's a great powertrain. Shockingly, the Jaguar XF without any sport trims and options handles very well. It is far better than the BMW 5-series and Audi A6, and not too behind the M37. I love the minimalist, yet highly sleek interior, and it's also got a lot of wow factor with the vents and the rotary knob opening up. Plus the 8-speed ZF shifts like a mother, which is awesome too. I have both the Jag XF and Infiniti M56S...and they're both sensational mid-sizers.

Drive both and see which you like more.

Patriots7

Driven them all. Owned some. You should look at the Jaguar XF 3.0 Supercharged. Fantastic car, same price as the Audi and Infiniti. I'll break down your list first:

Infiniti M37: Fantastic car. Sports package is a must, imo. You probably noticed I just got an M56S and I just can't imagine owning this car without the sports pack. Massive driving improvement, from looks (bumper, headlights, side skirts, spoiler) to performance (better brakes, better wheels and tires, better suspension, etc). Yes, the sports pack is rougher because of its 20s...but if you live in an area where the roads are smooth, get it! The interior is top notch stuff, and reliability is about as perfect as you can get. Plus the user interface for the navi, audio, etc is really good and very intuitive.

VW Touareg: Awful car. Unreliable. Pitiful and slow. Cheap plastics all over with an underserved price tag.

Infiniti FX: Great car. Not a whole lot different than the M37, just taller with an interior resembling the G37/EX37, as opposed to the classier M. Aesthetically not for everyone (droopy headlights are a turn off).

Infiniti JX: It's a minivan, FWD, with CVT. Do you need this in your life?

Audi Q5: All Q5s are either 2.0T or 3.0 supercharged. And all of those motors are unreliable garbage. My cousin has a 2011 Q5 with the 3.2 in it, and the ZF 6-speed auto - which being so late in their life cycle are great and reliable. But the newer drivetrains are horrible. Also, the interior is two Audi generations old, dating back to 2005 when the interior first debuted in the Audi A6. Which leads me to...

Audi A6: My God please avoid this car at all costs. I had a 2012 3.0T Supercharged. I loved it for the first few thousand miles, until it decided it didn't love me back nearly as much. I realized I could never get comfortable in the car's seats. They just aren't very good, and the driving position always felt a little odd. I realized the car handles poorly and the S-Line package is an absolute must...but the S-Line doesn't fix the awful electric steering which just allows the car to float on the highway. It never feels buttoned down. Worst of all, it's the lack of reliability within 12K miles:

This kind of shit doesn't fly with me, so I didn't want to take the car with me when I moved to Florida. My dad regrets taking it off my hands (I wanted to lease trade it to someone else). So I ended up getting a 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0

-Jaguar XF: They don't make the 5.0 anymore, but I had a 3.0 Supercharged as a loaner car, and it's a great powertrain. Shockingly, the Jaguar XF without any sport trims and options handles very well. It is far better than the BMW 5-series and Audi A6, and not too behind the M37. I love the minimalist, yet highly sleek interior, and it's also got a lot of wow factor with the vents and the rotary knob opening up. Plus the 8-speed ZF shifts like a mother, which is awesome too. I have both the Jag XF and Infiniti M56S...and they're both sensational mid-sizers.

Drive both and see which you like more.
Appreciate it.
Never even thought about the Jag.

Gonna give both of them a spin next weekend and see how it goes.

AlphaSnake

Interesting...is this a face lift for the MP4? Or does it slot in between the MP4 and the P1?

I've heard both reports. The interior and rear of the car is identical to the MP4, so I'm assuming this is a face lift.

If it's a third entry, it may not be one for long if sales turn it into another Virage. I assume the MP4 would be the one to kick the bucket due to age if they decided to get rid of one of them.

kharma45

This kind of shit doesn't fly with me, so I didn't want to take the car with me when I moved to Florida. My dad regrets taking it off my hands (I wanted to lease trade it to someone else). So I ended up getting a 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0.

If you didn't like the S-Line seats you'd hate the standard ones. It's the only black mark I can put against our A6.

Steering is light but there was a software update not too long ago and it's a bit better now, but still not exactly inspiring.

AlphaSnake

If you didn't like the S-Line seats you'd hate the standard ones. It's the only black mark I can put against our A6.

Steering is light but there was a software update not too long ago and it's a bit better now, but still not exactly inspiring.

I didn't have an S-Line car. The car I test drove first was an S-Line though with the 20s. The seating position just never feels right, the steering column always feels in the way, blindspots in the front seem odd, the seat isn't comfortable or very supportive. Just bleh.

TransTrender

Gold Member
AlphaSnake.
I poked around AutoTrader and there were some 2011 and 2012 M56 with the Sport Packages for really cheap compared to MSRP.

Any word on the super quick depreciation?
Specifically: 2012 M56 with Sport, Infinity CPO for $38K. 30K miles.

AlphaSnake

AlphaSnake.
I poked around AutoTrader and there were some 2011 and 2012 M56 with the Sport Packages for really cheap compared to MSRP.

It's normal for luxury midsizers and executive full sizers to depreciate like tanks. The first year is the worst, everything after that is dramatically slower. Simple mathematics says that 15% depreciation for a $30K car won't be anywhere near as much as that of a $75K car - the rule remains the same, no matter the initial cost. That's why picking up one of these cars lightly used is such a massive steal.

The car you've found is definitely a good deal, especially since it is CPO.

Also, mid sized luxury cars tend to have the biggest incentives tacked on to them when dealers are trying to move inventory. Infiniti was offering me $8000 below invoice on a brand new 2013 M56S. Years ago, Audi got me $3K below invoice on an A6 lease. Jaguar got me $2K below invoice on my XF. BMW has the highest markup of any mainstream vehicle (excluding Porsche, which makes over $14K per car sold to dealer, compared to the industry average $4K) so their room for incentive wiggling is also huge.

mkenyon

Banned
AlphaSnake.

Noticed this too when I picked up my EX35. The crazy part is that after the huge drop, there was barely any difference in price between models with 25k miles and 50k miles.

Also, you really need to go sit in one. Even in the EX35, which is a step below the M56, the interior makes me feel like I'm in a car that's twice the price. It was the proverbial nail for me.

cajunator

Banned
Ignoring the giant creepy doll inside, what car is pictured here?
It seems fairly exotic, with likely gullwing doors. Not a Jiotto Caspita, not Mclaren or Subaru SVX or anything I can think of with a sliding window inside a window. Im stumped.

edit: after further searching I came up with Toyota Sera. The window lines are high enough. Pretty sure thats what it is.
ibd2dBqT5bRqaq.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
I dropped off the Z at a dealer yesterday and signed her away. They gave me the best offer thru USAA's car buying service. Anyhow... I wandered around for a bit on the lot while I was waiting to be picked up by the missus and asked a sales guy if I could sit inside the one Shelby GT500 they had left.

I'm not a huge fan of the new-era muscle car wave. Not because I don't like cheap power, just not a fan of large cars. Anyway - the sales guy let me crank up the GT500 and a Roush... Good lord. I've seen and been around enough of them to know they're loud (and I like the sound), but sitting inside the GT500 and feeling the whole car rumble and growl at the tap of the throttle was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom