• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halvie

Banned
Pterion said:
Don't listen to the hate. Ball hard bro!

Not hating... have a set of TE37 coming for my car. Just figure he wouldn't want to have similar looking wheels as people with cars costing a third of his. If you are looking to ball get the ADV.

Viperbah

BoobPhysics101 said:
The parallel makes sense. Both engines are similar in reliability, power output per liter, NA potential power gains, size relative to cylinder count, etc. The K20 is the LSx of the 4 cylinder world.

Wait for the new LSx to be unveiled... it'll have even more parallels to the K20 (Chevy is going for higher revs in the new LS series)...

That's fair. My line of thought was they are completely different internally, one is a pushrod V8 and the other a four-stroke DOHC.

I have heard something along those lines about GM's new engine, I assume it will not be in the LS series thou.

Anyway...just got this in the mail today! Putting them in the Z06 this weekend can't wait....

191118_10100138888069053_6218319_52022363_5815373_o-1.jpg

Viperbah

Also, Dreams that porsche looks good....just do it

If you do buy it, look into 3M clear bras for the front bumper/hood area. It is a life saver on black cars.

bah321 said:
Also, Dreams that porsche looks good....just do it

If you do buy it, look into 3M clear bras for the front bumper/hood area. It is a life saver on black cars.
oh, I never leave home without them. I think the only car in the family that doesn't yet have the clear bra on it right now is the Phantom. Which will change soon. A pebble can be a destroyer of dreams. I actually had a rock from a semi fly up and hit my car just above the windshield and put a damn hole in the steel (between the windshield and the sunroof). I was at least 30 yards behind the truck. Disgusting. So yea, I learned my lesson on going without the clear bras. The dealer actually was quick to make mention of them. He said very few cars leave the dealership without them installed nowadays. I can understand why.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I'd be very, very careful with that. Why is he putting in a new transmission? An '02 Celica shouldn't need a new tranny just yet.

A friend of mine bought like an '02-'03 Celica GT 5 spd... the engine on that thing is a piece of shit, totally abused and dying. I suggest you check it very carefully because I wouldn't be surprised if that thing is FUBAR.

Okay I will. My civic already runs great despite the input shaft bearing noise and I could easily ride the vehicle until the transmission botches which will be a ways from now.

I'll go in with the impression that I don't want the vehicle and will be highly skeptical of it even though I want one so much.

Given that your friend had one, what would you recommend me checking specifically on a Toyota Celica? From what I read they will give you problems even at low mileage.

tarius1210 said:
I use to have an '03 Celica. It was all show and no go. That was my baby back then though :(

Yeah I hear that they aren't nearly as fast as they look. Did it last you though? Did it give you a lot of trouble?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Dreams-Visions said:
oh, I never leave home without them. I think the only car in the family that doesn't yet have the clear bra on it right now is the Phantom. Which will change soon. A pebble can be a destroyer of dreams. I actually had a rock from a semi fly up and hit my car just above the windshield and put a damn hole in the steel (between the windshield and the sunroof). I was at least 30 yards behind the truck. Disgusting. So yea, I learned my lesson on going without the clear bras. The dealer actually was quick to make mention of them. He said very few cars leave the dealership without them installed nowadays. I can understand why.

Wait...Phantom?

Duder, how old are you and what do you and your family do? :O

AlphaSnake said:
Wait...Phantom?

Duder, how old are you and what do you and your family do? :O
31. and we...make a few dollars here and there where we can (legally, of course). no biggie, which is why I rarely mention such things.

I will say it's pretty entertaining to pick up chicks in it, though. People think celebs are inside. lol, hardly.

Zyzyxxz

ssolitare said:
Yeah I hear that they aren't nearly as fast as they look. Did it last you though? Did it give you a lot of trouble?

Celicas suck, barely any aftermarket support and the interior is very cramped.

Honestly I wish I had bought an RSX instead when I was younger and dumb.

Also I am looking who makes some nice car stereo/source unit these days?

I used to have a Clarion DXZ 785USB and I loved it. I would buy it again.

I heard that the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 was really nice too.

welp, I expect to check out 2 cars today:

1.) the afore pictured 4S

2.) a Jag XK.

Is there anything I should keep in mind when looking at either? I've been googling the various issues surrounding the cars, but it's always better to ask. If we hadn't had the conversation about the color on the wheels, I may have made that mistake too.

SePhoBroth

Neo Member
Dreams-Visions said:
ur full of crap.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dreams-Visions said:
31. and we...make a few dollars here and there where we can (legally, of course). no biggie, which is why I rarely mention such things.

I will say it's pretty entertaining to pick up chicks in it, though. People think celebs are inside. lol, hardly.
Pics?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ecnal said:
Me too...

Dreams-Visions said:
this is also being sent to "ryutaro's mama" so that this conversation can be moved on from.

RR
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1117/oh7v.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5006/oh6.jpg (yea, I took a picture while driving it)
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4914/oh2b.jpg

RR & BMW1
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8176/oh1.jpg

Hollywood apartment (@ The Palazzo, 2 blocks from The Grove, if you're familiar with the area)
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3613/oh5.jpg

BMW 2 and part of front of home(not comfortable with crib pics right now, but you can get an idea by the homes in the background. Obviously, we're not in Cleveland [or Kansas] anymore)
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3915/oh4.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4206/oh3.jpg

BMW 3 (also in the driveway)
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2799/oh8r.jpg

I didn't have a lot of pics on my phone that didn't have some sensitive person or something...and since I don't know any of you from Adam. you understand. that should be sufficient, regardless.

I've no interest in lying to people on websites. that's stuff kids do. I'm a grown ass man. I'd send pics of my girlfriend, but that's just waaay to juvenile. you can take my word for that or not. at the end of the day, it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with, but someone decided to pull the card and tell me what I'd never have, when in fact I've earned and have a lot of what I want already. I happily admitted that I'll never have Noah's income. I don't need it to be satisfied.

and you both should be grown enough to admit that the attack on me from the other guy was both unnecessary and childish. not trying to show anyone up...but if you attack me AND pull a card on....and my cards are better than yours...you lose. you don't pout about it. you just learn the lesson and move on.

he lost. and ganging up on me made you both look even more childish.

I would have posted this in the thread, but that side conversation had gone off topic long and far enough.

that being said, respect me and I'll respect you. attack me and you might be biting off more than you can chew.

/conversation
How about them Cavs winning it all that year?

Halvie

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Is there anything I should keep in mind when looking at either? I've been googling the various issues surrounding the cars, but it's always better to ask. If we hadn't had the conversation about the color on the wheels, I may have made that mistake too.

Take it you already ruled out GT-R and C6 Z06? Also really like the c63, but doesn't really fit with the other choices :) You also mentioned the CTS-V earlier, so you probably ruled that out as well. Don't care for the looks, but it is a beast.

GT-R is awesome, but it's not exactly a car full of prestige. It's the ultimate value for money for any car racing hobbyist, but it's not like he's going to feel a difference when compared to Carrera 4S in 99.99% of daily situations.

Halvie

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
GT-R is awesome, but it's not exactly a car full of prestige. It's the ultimate value for money for any car racing hobbyist, but it's not like he's going to feel a difference when compared to Carrera 4S in 99.99% of daily situations.

He isn't going to use any of these cars potential 99.9% of the time. GT-R roasting cars of much higher prestige and cost is cooler in my eyes than rolling in the slower prestigious car.

Halvie said:
Take it you already ruled out GT-R and C6 Z06? Also really like the c63, but doesn't really fit with the other choices :) You also mentioned the CTS-V earlier, so you probably ruled that out as well. Don't care for the looks, but it is a beast.
I actually hadn't considered either, as I'm not a fan of their body types. their performance is out of this world, though. Maintenance worries me with regard to the GT-R.

And yea, I was looking at the CTS-V last night again. I think the interior is beautiful. Haven't driven a V. I did drive a regular CTS Coupe and was unimpressed by its response. I stepped on the peddle and had to wait for it to do something. Ugh. I'm sure the V is a different animal entirely. I will test-drive one before the decision is made.

FYI - I'm looking to purchase a used car for the first time primarily because I'm tired of taking that $10,000 hit for being the first mothafucka to drive a car off the lot. I learned that lesson the hard way. Buying new is cool...don't let me discourage anyone...but the higher a car gets in price, the less it becomes worth it to buy brand new.

Painful example I prefer not to talk about: the Rolls was $375k new. That sommbitch is now worth about $170k at best. With no damage whatsoever and only 3 years old. Fuck. After watching that happen, I've become pretty much resolved to buying everything "like new". It's the principle of the matter now...and hunting around for a good used car and saving big bucks has been a fun experience in and of itself. Right now, we're talking about a 4S and a Jag, and with either I'll roughly save 40% on by waiting just 2 model years. Depending on the experience, I may be hard-pressed to buy new ever again (though I'd have to buy the CTS-V Coupe new if I went that route, as it's brand new).

Yea, I'm bitter. lol

ecnal

Lagspike_exe said:

it may be more prestigious in terms of its badge -- if you even buy into that. it's certainly not more prestigious in terms of rareness though.

in southern california, driving any 911 is just run of the mill standard procedure. at least with a GTR you get some exclusivity -- along with a much more prestigious and proven car on the track -- for the time being.

dreams, re GTR reliability: there's really nothing to suggest they're overwhelmingly unreliable. There are quite a few high whp GTRs (700+ whp) that are doing just fine. imo there isn't enough data (car hasn't been around that long, not enough cars with high mileage, etc) to conclude whether or not they're reliable. also, nissan has decided to be much more liberal in terms of what it covers under warranty -- e.g. you no longer void your warranty by using launch control lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How much of a wannabee redneck does it make me if I want to buy a Challenger R/T, gas prices be damned?

That thing just looks like you could cruise in it all day with your smugface on.

ecnal said:
it may be more prestigious in terms of its badge -- if you even buy into that. it's certainly not more prestigious in terms of rareness though.

in southern california, driving any 911 is just run of the mill standard procedure. at least with a GTR you get some exclusivity -- along with a much more prestigious and proven car on the track -- for the time being.

dreams, re GTR reliability: there's really nothing to suggest they're overwhelmingly unreliable. There are quite a few high whp GTRs (700+ whp) that are doing just fine. imo there isn't enough data (car hasn't been around that long, not enough cars with high mileage, etc) to conclude whether or not they're reliable. also, nissan has decided to be much more liberal in terms of what it covers under warranty -- e.g. you no longer void your warranty by using launch control lol.
I just can't figure out why Nissan has their super-car look like a Nissan Maxima.

ecnal said:

word! I remember those days well. well that's good to know as well and I'll have to consider the GT-R now as well.

thanks for the tip. and for adding another car to my list, with which I'm already paralyzed by analysis. :-(

reilo

Angry Grimace said:
How much of a wannabee redneck does it make me if I want to buy a Challenger R/T, gas prices be damned?

That thing just looks like you could cruise in it all day with your smugface on.
I don't know, let's ask RJNavarrette how he feels about his Camaro.
Dreams-Visions said:
word! I remember those days well. well that's good to know as well and I'll have to consider the GT-R now as well.

thanks for the tip. and for adding another car to my list, with which I'm already paralyzed by analysis. :-(
Performance wise I don't think you can go wrong with any of them -- they all strive to achieve performance in a different way.

Get the car that feels right.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dreams-Visions said:
I actually hadn't considered either, as I'm not a fan of their body types. their performance is out of this world, though. Maintenance worries me with regard to the GT-R.

And yea, I was looking at the CTS-V last night again. I think the interior is beautiful. Haven't driven a V. I did drive a regular CTS Coupe and was unimpressed by its response. I stepped on the peddle and had to wait for it to do something. Ugh. I'm sure the V is a different animal entirely. I will test-drive one before the decision is made.

FYI - I'm looking to purchase a used car for the first time primarily because I'm tired of taking that $10,000 hit for being the first mothafucka to drive a car off the lot. I learned that lesson the hard way. Buying new is cool...don't let me discourage anyone...but the higher a car gets in price, the less it becomes worth it to buy brand new.

Painful example I prefer not to talk about: the Rolls was $375k new. That sommbitch is now worth about $170k at best. With no damage whatsoever and only 3 years old. Fuck. After watching that happen, I've become pretty much resolved to buying everything "like new". It's the principle of the matter now...and hunting around for a good used car and saving big bucks has been a fun experience in and of itself. Right now, we're talking about a 4S and a Jag, and with either I'll roughly save 40% on by waiting just 2 model years. Depending on the experience, I may be hard-pressed to buy new ever again (though I'd have to buy the CTS-V Coupe new if I went that route, as it's brand new).

Yea, I'm bitter. lol
From what I've noticed, the used car market is current retarded and nothing is discounted to the extent it should be.

AlphaSnake

Dreams-Visions said:
ha. yea, only when challenged. otherwise, I'm very reserved on such issues.

Pics of said hot gf?

Can't blame me for tryin... :D

NBA age is where the butt hurting goes on, though. People were quick to crack on me yesterday and didn't read my post carefully until I had to point it out to them. Shit is hilarious, I love it. The tears are bitter enough to ruin jars of honey per drop.

Check PM, btw.

Ovid

ssolitare said:
Okay I will. My civic already runs great despite the input shaft bearing noise and I could easily ride the vehicle until the transmission botches which will be a ways from now.

I'll go in with the impression that I don't want the vehicle and will be highly skeptical of it even though I want one so much.

Given that your friend had one, what would you recommend me checking specifically on a Toyota Celica? From what I read they will give you problems even at low mileage.

That thing was babied beyond believe. No problems with it at all :) It was purchased brand new.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
NBA age is where the butt hurting goes on, though. People were quick to crack on me yesterday and didn't read my post carefully until I had to point it out to them. Shit is hilarious, I love it. The tears are bitter enough to ruin jars of honey per drop.
Man, the shit he was talking during that time was epic. He deserved everything he got. He's calmed down a lot and has seen the light since then :)

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Man, the shit he was talking during that time was epic. He deserved everything he got. He's calmed down a lot and has seen the light since then :)

I think we all have a tendency to do that at first. I've been on GAF for 10 years now...and admittedly, I was massive dick when I first started posting (hey, I was 16).

Alucrid

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

Yea, I'm bitter. lol

Dude. What. Why don't you have the best fucking headphone set up ever if you're rolling with a Rolls (despite me not being a huge fan of), 3 BMWs and are looking to buy either a 91 1 or GT-R (damn you). But really, get an R8.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
I think we all have a tendency to do that at first. I've been on GAF for 10 years now...and admittedly, I was massive dick when I first started posting (hey, I was 16).
Were?

I'm just playing, but I'm saying!

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Were?

I'm just playing, but I'm saying!

Hey, man! Fuck you. Hahaha.

These days I'm just rife with sarcasm and jokes. Don't take anything I say too personally, though I doubt you do - you've known me here long enough. Think of me as the Jeremy Clarkson of GAF's collective of auto enthusiasts. Except, I'm not senile, fat, or a complete buffoon. I don't have pubes for hair. And I'm well aware that the Mercs are largely shit cars...with the exception of the all new CLS63 AMG, which will no doubt, with some time turn into a shit car the moment your warranty has let up.

:)

AlphaSnake said:
Hey, man! Fuck you. Hahaha.

These days I'm just rife with sarcasm and jokes. Don't take anything I say too personally, though I doubt you do - you've known me here long enough. Think of me as the Jeremy Clarkson of GAF's collective of auto enthusiasts. Except, I'm not senile, fat, or a complete buffoon. I don't have pubes for hair. And I'm well aware that the Mercs are largely shit cars...with the exception of the all new CLS63 AMG, which will no doubt, with some time turn into a shit car the moment your warranty has let up.

:)

How ironic coming from a person who loves Audis.

AlphaSnake

Pterion said:

Have you ever sat in an E class? Do you have any idea how horribly cramped the car is for its size? The rear legroom is a massive joke - my neighbor's mom had one and I would make fun of how tiny the car is compared to my A6 (which is considered the same class). They've improved the look of the interior by a megaton...but legroom, headroom, and shoulder room is simply wrong for a car of its class and price. The A6, XF, and 5-Series excel in those areas, and that's why I'd never own an E-Class.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Have you ever sat in an E class? Do you have any idea how horribly cramped the car is for its size? The rear legroom is a massive joke - my neighbor's mom had one and I would make fun of how tiny the car is compared to my A6 (which is considered the same class). They've improved the look of the interior by a megaton...but legroom, headroom, and shoulder room is simply wrong for a car of its class and price. The A6, XF, and 5-Series excel in those areas, and that's why I'd never own an E-Class.
The early 2000 M Class had the same issues. It was a fucking SUV and I (6'4 and all) couldn't fit in the rear seat.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
The early 2000 M Class had the same issues. It was a fucking SUV and I (6'4 and all) couldn't fit in the rear seat.

My 6'1, bony ass frame couldn't either. My cousin's business-partner has one. When I carpooled with them to the city, I wanted to sit on the roof rails instead.

Angry Grimace said:
From what I've noticed, the used car market is current retarded and nothing is discounted to the extent it should be.

True. Lots of people who are clueless as to just how far used car values have dropped since the market crashed in 08. I'm saving for a Lotus Elise and having been watching the used market like a hawk for a year now. Every once in while, you'll see a realistic seller. But on ebay for example, 95%+ of auctions never hit the reserve. When I have enough, I'm just planning on contacting everyone with one for sale and low balling them. I think someone will bite. Someone on Lotus Talk said they wanted an Elise for 22k and everyone said, oh good luck dude, hope you don't mind salvage title etc. And a few months later he posted again and had found a clean 05 with 35k miles for his price.

I saw a guy on there 6 months ago with a V-8 Esprit. It had turbo mods, a liquid to air intercooler, buffed out transmission and limited slip differential, in total probably at least 15k worth of mods and making close to 500 rwhp. He was asking like 40k for it. FIRM I saw it sold on ebay last week for upper 20's. (what other comparable year stock V-8s sell for) On cars like that, your potential market is already small, and the people with cash willing to buy such a heavily modded car are rare indeed. I thought I wanted a V-8 Esprit until I read how unreliable the engine is even for Lotus. Ran into quite a few stories of owners having to shell out 5 figures for an engine rebuild on a car with low miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom