• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordzilla

Here's my new F150 XLT with the 5.0 V8. Bought it a couple weeks ago.

2dc8pi1.jpg

2m29w13.jpg

fuxc2c.jpg

2nc49qh.jpg

I realize there probably aren't many truck guys on this forum, but I like to show it off. Everything's stock for now. I plan on doing some mods like a suspension lift and 35" tires once it has more than a couple hundred miles on it.

ssolitare said:
Okay I will. My civic already runs great despite the input shaft bearing noise and I could easily ride the vehicle until the transmission botches which will be a ways from now.

I'll go in with the impression that I don't want the vehicle and will be highly skeptical of it even though I want one so much.

Given that your friend had one, what would you recommend me checking specifically on a Toyota Celica? From what I read they will give you problems even at low mileage.

Yeah I hear that they aren't nearly as fast as they look. Did it last you though? Did it give you a lot of trouble?

The engine is what I'd be looking at. Focus almost entirely on the engine, and check for crash damage on the frame/suspension. There are numerous problems with those 1zz engines, just check any forum. Also, use a scanner on the car to check for any diagnostic errors.

bah321 said:
That's fair. My line of thought was they are completely different internally, one is a pushrod V8 and the other a four-stroke DOHC.

I have heard something along those lines about GM's new engine, I assume it will not be in the LS series thou.

Anyway...just got this in the mail today! Putting them in the Z06 this weekend can't wait....

191118_10100138888069053_6218319_52022363_5815373_o-1.jpg

I'm jealous! You'll probably pick up more gains with those than I will once I get a tune for my full-boltons. :( LSx <3

Lucky bastard!

Dreams-Visions said:
word! I remember those days well. well that's good to know as well and I'll have to consider the GT-R now as well.

thanks for the tip. and for adding another car to my list, with which I'm already paralyzed by analysis. :-(

Honestly man, look at a Corvette ZR1. Weird, right? But I'd take one of those over a GT-R. It's not a badge-whore car like a Porsche 911 Turbo, but it sure is a performance-whore car. I'd say a ZR1 is more impressive than a GT-R, and sure doesn't scream 'omg JDM SUPERCARZZZ' like the GT-R does. Plus, it's actually fun to drive.

Here's a video of a former S2K owner on S2KI demo'ing his new ZR1 on its first track day, playing with a GT-R coincidentally enough (120 mph in 3rd gear!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIWvJrIrKZM

Also, a 0-110 MPH launch without launch control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSAbImlsuEQ

Jesus fuck. The handling and acceleration on that thing are just outrageous.

ecnal

BoobPhysics101 said:
Honestly man, look at a Corvette ZR1. Weird, right? But I'd take one of those over a GT-R. It's not a badge-whore car like a Porsche 911 Turbo, but it sure is a performance-whore car. I'd say a ZR1 is more impressive than a GT-R, and sure doesn't scream 'omg JDM SUPERCARZZZ' like the GT-R does. Plus, it's actually fun to drive.

Here's a video of a former S2K owner on S2KI demo'ing his new ZR1 on its first track day, playing with a GT-R coincidentally enough (120 mph in 3rd gear!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIWvJrIrKZM

Jesus fuck. The handling and acceleration on that thing are just outrageous.

god damn.

the first minute + he doesn't even get out of 3RD... and he's accelerating out of some of those corners @ like 1.5-2K RPM. dat fucking displacement. dat fucking gearing. dat fucking ridiculous car.

the GTR driver is clearly going all out too, and the ZR1 driver is pretty tentative in some sections but still keeps pace.

cool vids, guy has a bunch of other really nice ones too.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dc8pi1.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2m29w13.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/fuxc2c.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2nc49qh.jpg

I realize there probably aren't many truck guys on this forum, but I like to show it off. Everything's stock for now. I plan on doing some mods like a suspension lift and 35" tires once it has more than a couple hundred miles on it.

Just mostly children who think their body kits/rims make their cars faster. :p

Congrats on the purchase. I'm gunning for a truck as my next purchase for work. Specifically a Dodge 1500 single cab...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fordzilla said:

2dc8pi1.jpg

2m29w13.jpg

fuxc2c.jpg

2nc49qh.jpg

Very nice! My buddy just got a 2011 Tundra 4.6L. It's a nice car. Trucks like this are so practical - you can have a feast inside one with that front-center seat down.

Dre3001

So what is the opinion here on 2004-2008 Acura TL's??

Good car in its class and for its price???

Im still driving a 1996 acura integra with 250,000 miles and I am looking for an upgrade pretty soon.

Viperbah

Here is my opinion of the pre-2012 GTR's with a little backstory.

When I was looking around two years ago I was between a Z06, GTR and 02-06 Viper (if I could afford an 08+ it would have been no contest)

I test drove all three. Each car had something going for it

Z06-Clearly the faster car of all three in stock trim, cheapest by 10k
GTR-interior was the best of all all three, easy to drive, easy learning curve
Viper-most exotic looking, interior was better than the vette and build quality was superior to both cars(which I think is a common misconception about vipers)

What dismissed the GTR for me was it was boring compared to the other two. Sure I could probably rip off low 11s at 12X, but all your doing is turning launch control on and stepping on the gas pedal. It gets old quick, especially if this car is mainly going to be my Sunday driver and not a track car.

I picked the Z because of price and raw power. It was simply the most exhilarating car to drive out of the three.

MisterNoisy

Fordzilla said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dc8pi1.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2m29w13.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/fuxc2c.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2nc49qh.jpg

Congrats on the new ride, and nice truck! While I'm not a truck guy, I can dig it. :)

AlphaSnake

Pic of the car I took yesterday. Ignore the graffiti. It's the price you and your entire section pays for living in one of the most expensive areas in NYC.

PpEDo.jpg

ecnal said:
god damn.

the first minute + he doesn't even get out of 3RD... and he's accelerating out of some of those corners @ like 1.5-2K RPM. dat fucking displacement. dat fucking gearing. dat fucking ridiculous car.

the GTR driver is clearly going all out too, and the ZR1 driver is pretty tentative in some sections but still keeps pace.

cool vids, guy has a bunch of other really nice ones too.

Yeah, Quikag's ZR1 videos have rocketed it to the top of my 'must-have' list of supercars. The whole car blows me away.

bah321 said:
Here is my opinion of the pre-2012 GTR's with a little backstory.

When I was looking around two years ago I was between a Z06, GTR and 02-06 Viper (if I could afford an 08+ it would have been no contest)

I test drove all three. Each car had something going for it

Z06-Clearly the faster car of all three in stock trim, cheapest by 10k
GTR-interior was the best of all all three, easy to drive, easy learning curve
Viper-most exotic looking, interior was better than the vette and build quality was superior to both cars(which I think is a common misconception about vipers)

What dismissed the GTR for me was it was boring compared to the other two. Sure I could probably rip off low 11s at 12X, but all your doing is turning launch control on and stepping on the gas pedal. It gets old quick, especially if this car is mainly going to be my Sunday driver and not a track car.

I picked the Z because of price and raw power. It was simply the most exhilarating car to drive out of the three.

You made the right choice. GT-R is a fucking videogame car for the kind of kids that play with all of the 'easy mode' features: auto transmission, stability and traction control up the ass... it's just a fucking gas pedal and brake pedal. Hell, even the cluster is designed by the creators of Gran Turismo. :lol

I would've picked the Z too because the running costs on a Viper are disgusting. It eats up tires like nothing and when shit breaks, so does your wallet. Z06 is nearly impossible to beat for the money. (And they're amazing looking cars too...)

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Pic of the car I took yesterday. Ignore the graffiti. It's the price you and your entire section pays for living in one of the most expensive areas in NYC.

PpEDo.jpg

Not sure if I already asked....anything done to it?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Heres my truck from the other thread...
IMG_0365.jpg

Since the picture was taken I've added rock sliders, replaced that scratched bumper, removed the driverside rear sicker. Also added HID's with projectors, but you can't see it in the picture.

For everyone that calls it a hummer. Fuck you. :)

AlphaSnake

Halvie said:
Not sure if I already asked....anything done to it?

Not yet. Just paid off a bunch of taxes, but ordered all the parts:

Swift Springs
Motordyne ART Pipes
Invidia Exhaust
UpRev Osiris ECU
Blacked out headlight housings (next week)

That's about it. Simple and clean. Car will be an easy 12-second beast, the VQ37 is extremely responsive to just a few simple mods and a tune.

ecnal

twinturbo2 said:

interesting. i've always wondered how a mainstream "sports car" hybrid would do if it were similarly priced to the regular model and was substantially more efficient -- e.g. what if nissan had a 370z hybrid that still made like ~300hp and was ~25% more efficient.

i'm curious to see how well the infiniti m hybrid does.

Zyzyxxz

ecnal said:
interesting. i've always wondered how a mainstream "sports car" hybrid would do if it were similarly priced to the regular model and was substantially more efficient -- e.g. what if nissan had a 370z hybrid that still made like ~300hp and was ~25% more efficient.

Honda tried to do that with the CR-Z and failed.

First of all its slow, ugly, and not all that fuel efficient. Also its a freaking 2 seater hatchback so its also very impractical.

Why not make a Civic Si hybrid? I guess they were blindsided hopes they could resurrect the "fandom" of the old CR-X with a car that had worse mileage than the original from 1989.

Is anyone else in Southern California going to ExtremeSpeed's May 15th Streets of Willow track day?

AlphaSnake said:
Not yet. Just paid off a bunch of taxes, but ordered all the parts:

Swift Springs
Motordyne ART Pipes
Invidia Exhaust
UpRev Osiris ECU
Blacked out headlight housings (next week)

That's about it. Simple and clean. Car will be an easy 12-second beast, the VQ37 is extremely responsive to just a few simple mods and a tune.

Swift Springs are nice. I had Swift's on my S2000 before I switched to KW V3's. Invidia exhausts are also decent, especially if it's the Q300.

Also, your car is kush purple. Nice.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
Is anyone else in Southern California going to ExtremeSpeed's May 15th Streets of Willow track day?

Swift Springs are nice. I had Swift's on my S2000 before I switched to KW V3's. Invidia exhausts are also decent, especially if it's the Q300.

Also, your car is kush purple. Nice.

Hahaha. It's called Black Cherry and it's three colors depending on light: Black, Burgundy, Brown.

ecnal

Zyzyxxz said:
Honda tried to do that with the CR-Z and failed.

First of all its slow, ugly, and not all that fuel efficient. Also its a freaking 2 seater hatchback so its also very impractical.

Why not make a Civic Si hybrid? I guess they were blindsided hopes they could resurrect the "fandom" of the old CR-X with a car that had worse mileage than the original from 1989.

ya, i don't understand the CRZ. it's a pretty lame car either way you cut it. as a hybrid it doesn't get the best mpg, and as a "sports car" it's just plain awful.

civic si hybrid would be interesting though.

BoobPhysics101 said:

i may end up going with a friend -- my car will not be ready for the event though.

Glad to read all the Z06 talk! I've got a base C6 and I'm hoping to upgrade to the Z06 in the next year or so (probably used because I'm not that ballin :( ). The C6 Corvette is an amazing car.

ecnal said:
i may end up going with a friend -- my car will not be ready for the event though.

We should link up there, but not in a GAF bromance way. A lot of my friends are going and I'm going to try to convince my cousin to take his S2000 as well.

Poindexter said:
Glad to read all the Z06 talk! I've got a base C6 and I'm hoping to upgrade to the Z06 in the next year or so (probably used because I'm not that ballin :( ). The C6 Corvette is an amazing car.

Used Z06 is still a Z06. The C6 really is a huge step above anything Chevy has ever done.

I honestly can't wait to see the C7 Corvette. It's going to be jaw-dropping, especially the Z06 and ZR1(?) variants. I expect Chevy to bump the base C6 up to about 450 hp, the Z06 up to 530-550, and the ZR1 up to 700.

That's what I'm thinking. An LS series with smaller displacement, but direct injection and some other tweaks should be pure sex. I'll probably wait til a 2nd or 3rd year C7 to jump in for a few reasons: ls2->ls3 switch, weak half shafts on the 2005's, etc. I'll let them get their kinks out and then jump in with both feet (plus, I'll wait for the Corvette tax to subside a bit).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ecnal said:

I'm thinking about making a hi-performance electric car using a S197 Mustang as a base, and see what happens. My ideal benchmark would be a Tesla Roadster, so a 4.0 second sprint to 60, a top speed of about 120 MPH, and a range of about 150 miles with the air conditioning blasting (I live in Florida, you know).

It's all just wishful thinking at this point, because I'm broke at the moment and I can't afford a project like this, but if I get rich, I'm going to do it.

Pterion

So the new 3 series sedan will be available next summer. Maybe not news to some of you guys, but I was expecting it later. I'm itching really bad for a car change, but I can tolerate another year of waiting. Hope they don't screw it up. I'd be okay with a smaller 5 series... We'll find out this november (london auto show).

ecnal

BoobPhysics101 said:
We should link up there, but not in a GAF bromance way. A lot of my friends are going and I'm going to try to convince my cousin to take his S2000 as well.

ya, i'll PM you if i end up going.

twinturbo2 said:
I'm thinking about making a hi-performance electric car using a S197 Mustang as a base, and see what happens. My ideal benchmark would be a Tesla Roadster, so a 4.0 second sprint to 60, a top speed of about 120 MPH, and a range of about 150 miles with the air conditioning blasting (I live in Florida, you know).

It's all just wishful thinking at this point, because I'm broke at the moment and I can't afford a project like this, but if I get rich, I'm going to do it.

that'd be pretty sick.

i'm wondering how plausible an electric engine lotus elise (exige version plz) would be... seems like you could get competitive performance numbers out of an electric elise given that it's so light, and i'm sure they could adjust the godly suspension for the new engine/drivetrain.

For everyone that calls it a hummer. Fuck you. :)

They're fairly close when it comes to fuel consumption in a real world setting.

Anyhow, where the fuck is Mechanic-GAF at? No one ever talks about tools or anything. Especially with the amount of mods done to their respective vehicles. Unless you're all paying people do to your work.

BloodySinner said:
They're fairly close when it comes to fuel consumption in a real world setting.

Anyhow, where the fuck is Mechanic-GAF at? No one ever talks about tools or anything. Especially with the amount of mods done to their respective vehicles. Unless you're all paying people do to your work.

Nah, I only try to pay for alignment and stuff like that. My cousin that lives 2 minutes away from me liked my S2000 so much that he also bought one almost 2 months ago, and so now we're pretty much figuring out how to do every single thing ourselves on the car, other than valve adjustments and alignment. I've tried to do almost all of the work on my car since I got it last March.

Been quite the journey learning how to specifically work on the car while putting on all of these mods. My mod list is ridiculously long so I've been able to dabble in quite a few areas on the car. My next goal is getting an AEM EMS and tuning the car myself.

There's only so many tools you can mention... we've got a Craftsman tool chest, a low profile aluminum racing jack, jackstands...

Speaking of Mechanic-GAF, I got 2x AEM Dryflow air filters today for $37 shipped. They're normally about $50 for just one... quite a steal.

JayDub

Has anyone used a lease swapping website to look for a lease or to get out of a lease? What's everyone's opinion on them and which ones should I use?

Im now part of unemployed GAF and need to unload this hefty monthly car payment and embarrassingly high insurance premium.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ecnal said:
i'm wondering how plausible an electric engine lotus elise (exige version plz) would be... seems like you could get competitive performance numbers out of an electric elise given that it's so light, and i'm sure they could adjust the godly suspension for the new engine/drivetrain.
The Tesla Roadster says hi. It's more or less an electric-powered Lotus Elise, but there's more to it than that. A sub-4 second 0-60 time should be competitive enough.

Thanks for the compliment on my idea, I should find a way to get rich now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got a quote to replace my 2004 Mazda 3 front struts and strut mounts + alignment for $870.

That seems a bit high. I figure the parts are $300 at the most. And if labor is 60-80 an hour, this doesn't see like a 5+ hour job.

Should I avoid dealership and just go to a local place? The car is 7 years old, at this point I don't care if it's not OEM parts. I feel the quote is just ridiculous though.

edit: Wait, does this thread entail repairs or just general talk of cars?

Viperbah

BloodySinner said:

No one touches my cars but me, unless I am taking it to get tuned.

I get all of my stuff from harbor freight.

CrankyJay said:
Got a quote to replace my 2004 Mazda 3 front struts and strut mounts + alignment for $870.

That seems a bit high. I figure the parts are $300 at the most. And if labor is 60-80 an hour, this doesn't see like a 5+ hour job.

Should I avoid dealership and just go to a local place? The car is 7 years old, at this point I don't care if it's not OEM parts. I feel the quote is just ridiculous though.

Labor at the dealership is probably >$100/hr

You could get the work done for less, but that's not unreasonable.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CrankyJay said:

Sounds about right...

When I had my adjustable ball-joints replaced and the car custom aligned, it was like $200 for parts and another $250 for labor (about 3-4 hours of work).

I'd find out what the reputable shops are around town and give them a call. Won't hurt.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BoobPhysics101 said:
Hell, even the cluster is designed by the creators of Gran Turismo. :lol
Not cluster, but center console display (and it looks great, with not a hint of what people would consider like videogame gaudiness). Now, I get what you're saying, but out of the three, it's the only car that looks the most like a 'normal' car, and not some exotic oddity that you'd feel great racing in, but strange driving on an everyday commute.

Btw, can you or someone else explain how the launch control works on GTR? What does it do?

ecnal

twinturbo2 said:
The Tesla Roadster says hi. It's more or less an electric-powered Lotus Elise, but there's more to it than that. A sub-4 second 0-60 time should be competitive enough.

Thanks for the compliment on my idea, I should find a way to get rich now.

ah, i wasn't aware the tesla roadster was based off the elise. good shit.

Zyzyxxz

ecnal said:
ah, i wasn't aware the tesla roadster was based off the elise. good shit.

thats the reason its so expensive though because the chassis is produced in the UK by Lotus, hence why their next car the Model A sedan will cost $60K with 4 doors and roughly the same performance due to being built stateside.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Lord Error said:
Btw, can you or someone else explain how the launch control works on GTR? What does it do?
You just put your foot on the gas pedal and the computers make the car go really really fast in a straight line.

ecnal

Lord Error said:
Not cluster, but center console display (and it looks great, with not a hint of what people would consider like videogame gaudiness). Now, I get what you're saying, but out of the three, it's the only car that looks the most like a 'normal' car, and not some exotic oddity that you'd feel great racing in, but strange driving on an everyday commute.

in simplest terms, without going into specific details, it changes various settings on the car for an optimal launch (stand still to full throttle).

Zyzyxxz said:
thats the reason its so expensive though because the chassis is produced in the UK by Lotus, hence why their next car the Model A sedan will cost $60K with 4 doors and roughly the same performance due to being built stateside.

interesting. i wasn't aware of any of this. so tesla's sedan is only going to be $60K? i wonder how well it will do...

tangentially related, anyone here have an elise or exige?

ecnal

YuriLowell said:
I was considering purchasing an elise, and then I looked at how the suspension was put together, and decided against it.

this is a little vague. what exactly about the suspension's construction turned you off?

ecnal said:
this is a little vague. what exactly about the suspension's construction turned you off?

How incredibly expensive it is to replace anything, and how much of a pain in the ass it is to do it yourself. Its an over complicated coilover design. Its also pretty much made out of aluminum and very easy to bend.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ecnal said:
in simplest terms, without going into specific details, it changes various settings on the car for an optimal launch (stand still to full throttle).
I see - I was hoping to get those details though, what it does in some more detail. Does it rev to 3-4K and then launch the car, does it shift up only when revs reach red etc.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Fordzilla said:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go for the EcoBoost engine? More power, greater towing capacity, and significantly better gas mileage. If I were in the market for a pickup it's all I'd consider.

AlphaSnake

SteveMeister said:
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go for the EcoBoost engine? More power, greater towing capacity, and significantly better gas mileage. If I were in the market for a pickup it's all I'd consider.

There is a massive MSRP increase for the EcoBoost that he likely would not gain back on fuel efficiency for 5-10 years, depending on driving habits and range. You can get the V8 for an extra $500-800 on any F150 trim, including the entry level mid-$20k models. Meanwhile, you have to jump up to the higher trims (putting you in the mid-$30k range) on top of paying an additional $600 premium for the EcoBoost over the V8. You can get the EcoBoost in the 2-door entry level F150, but that'll run $1500 as an option - and that isn't the car in question anyway.

It's simply not worth it, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom