• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shapingo

ssolitare said:
I test drove the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it was a massive disappointment for me. It wasn't that fast and the interior is cheap as hell. I hated it point blank, but I didn't get to try the Evo.

The 2006 RSX was awesome to test drive but like the amazing Golf and GTI it was too small.

I was quite surprised by the 2010 Acura TSX though.

Why would you think a gts would be fast? It gets to 60mph in 7.7sec.
The ralliart is kinda quick (0-60 in 5.5) but wrx is faster. There is no comparison to the evo if you drove a gts. The evo is basically a different car to the base lancer, even to the ralliart, it has a different chassis.

The rsx has a weak transmission, otherwise it is a great car.

Halvie

Banned
Seats showed up. Just waiting on peloquin to ship the lsd...only 7 weeks now...

Kevlar Status Ring GT in alcantara

2m5c845.jpg

Gritesh

Need GAF's opinion.

I have been in the market for a fun to drive, practical, and somewhat luxurious car lately.

I am at the point where I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2011 WRB Wrx STi Hatch.

Worth it? Anyone think I should get into something else at that price range?

I like the hatch because I can fold the seats flat and get quite a bit of shit in there when I need to.

I mainly need a Daily Driver, and something that I can take Snowboarding in the mountains for the winter.

Please Help...ordering one this week...still not sure!!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
YuriLowell said:
I am considering selling my e30s and getting either a late 90s 911, or a z4m coupe.

Choices , Choices.

Z4 M Coupe. Not a fan of the 996s - they look way too dated. Those headlights look like that fake puke crap you can buy at gag shops.

Plus the Z4 is faster, more modern, and better looking in coupe form.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
YuriLowell said:
z4m coupe is 10k more expensive. Looking at a 2000 911 Carrerra with 50k miles. 24k.

07 z4m coupe is 34k with 30k miles.

I'd rather pony up for a newer car than settle for a car that's a decade+ in design.

YuriLowell said:
z4m coupe is 10k more expensive. Looking at a 2000 911 Carrerra with 50k miles. 24k.

07 z4m coupe is 34k with 30k miles.
Get an '02 996 or later, the '99-'01 aren't as good and have some more issues. Also, read up on fixes for the IMS and make sure to get a good independent Porsche guy to do a proper PPI.

Really though, get the 911 because for the current prices it is, hands down, the best car for the money.

Seriously, it's an $80,000 car for under <$30k. It's super-god-damn nice.

Old styling and cars does not bother me.

Im driving 2 e30s and 2 e36s.

I just want to get rid of something and cut down on the damn parts im always buying.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
33-Hit-Combo said:
That's fair enough :)

I can't believe how fun (and immature) old HK-ers are! There's some other videos of an ITR being blasted around Hong Kong at some fairly high speeds too, I'll see if I can dig it up.

http://youtu.be/F_-RvLU20ek

Haha, I like how they just have normal conversation while driving like that. Swag.

TylerD

Dave Inc. said:
Really though, get the 911 because for the current prices it is, hands down, the best car for the money.

Seriously, it's an $80,000 car for under <$30k. It's super-god-damn nice.

I have started looking at early 2000s 911s as well. To own a $80,000 car for that little with low miles and having an excellent Porsche shop in OKC is very tempting.

TylerD said:
I have started looking at early 2000s 911s as well. To own a $80,000 car for that little with low miles and having an excellent Porsche shop in OKC is very tempting.
be careful of cars that have too few miles. it needs to have at least a few thousand miles put on it annually.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dreams-Visions said:
be careful of cars that have too few miles. it needs to have at least a few thousand miles put on it annually.
Either that or make sure to get it thoroughly inspected and serviced to get it to top-notch condition again. Smart thing to do, anyhow.

TylerD

reilo said:
Either that or make sure to get it thoroughly inspected and serviced to get it to top-notch condition again. Smart thing to do, anyhow.

I had a 944 for 2 years and a 944 Turbo for 6 years. I definitely know about the importance of inspection and maintenance of P-cars. Bought the 944 Turbo for 8,700 and over the 6 years amassed about 8,000 in receipts for service/repair/maintenance. Both were reliable and never left me stranded anywhere other than me leaving something on and killing my battery.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I put together my perfect Cinqueciento.

500 Sport
Rosso (that's red, you non-Italian speakers)
6AT
Body Side Stripe Decal, White Racing
Ambient Lighting
Rear Splash Guards
Electronic Vehicle Tracking System
Sirius Satellite Radio
Convenience Package (alarm system, heated seats, automatic AC, spare tire)

Total price, with $500 destination: $21,189

There are a couple of accessories I want that didn't show up in the configurator- scuff plates, cargo net, cargo liner, cargo tote, floormats- so figure $21,500 when it's all said and done.

Ettie

TylerD said:

What shop are you referring to?

TylerD said:
I had a 944 for 2 years and a 944 Turbo for 6 years. I definitely know about the importance of inspection and maintenance of P-cars. Bought the 944 Turbo for 8,700 and over the 6 years amassed about 8,000 in receipts for service/repair/maintenance. Both were reliable and never left me stranded anywhere other than me leaving something on and killing my battery.
The 996 will be cheaper to maintain than the 944T, if only for being a younger car with less aging components. I think in two years I spent: $240 on ignition coilpacks, $1000 tires/alignment, $400 on oil changes, $200 on a coolant reservoir and uhh... $3000 on transmission bearings (PPI missed the output shaft bearing going out, requires an 80 ton press to install them. Ugh.)

Other than that it ran beautifully and only left me home from work once (the coilpacks, as they age and get heat-cycled they get micro-cracks that let in moisture on wet days that cause misfire, $60 new and they're easy to replace).

God damn I miss it, that engine note was heaven, but living in downtown Cleveland is no place for a 911 as a daily driver.

So... I can get a Chevy Lumina ('98) for $3500 and it's in fantastic condition.

3 questions-

The dealership says it has 50,000 "original" miles. What does this mean?
Since it's already so cheap, should I try to talk them down more?
I'm a college student and I've never bought a car. I have $1500 in the bank. What am I going to do about the rest?

ascii42

foodtaster said:

3 questions-

I'm a college student and I've never bought a car. I have $1500 in the bank. What am I going to do about the rest?
Original miles basically means miles since the car's birth. If a car has had the engine replaced, miles don't tell the whole story.
I think the term also dates back to when cars had 5 digit odometers. Original would mean that the car has 50,000, and not 150000, 250000...ect.

Basically what it means is that the Lumina has been driven 50,000 miles.

foodtaster said:

3 questions-

Buy a cheaper car.

$3500 seems a bit high, honestly. But the Lumina is good because if I remember correctly, it's a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy badge on it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BoobPhysics101 said:
Buy a cheaper car.

$3500 seems a bit high, honestly. But the Lumina is good because if I remember correctly, it's a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy badge on it.
Nah, it shared its platform with these cars:

Buick Century
Buick LaCrosse
Buick Regal
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Lumina
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Oldsmobile Intrigue
Pontiac Grand Prix
And yeah, $3500 for a 98 Lumina is too much. We got $4,000 for it back in 2004 when it was traded in.

ascii42

BoobPhysics101 said:
Buy a cheaper car.

You are thinking of the Geo/Chevy Prizm. The Lumina was the precursor to the Impala.

YuriLowell said:
I am considering selling my e30s and getting either a late 90s 911, or a z4m coupe.

Choices , Choices.

What e30's do you have?

I'm considering selling my E34 M5 and getting a Z4 M Coupe as well, but those things are really hard to find around here. I might have to track one down from afar. A part of me is also telling me to keep the E34 M5 though...

funny enough, that I too also had the ideas of a Porsche, but a 993 instead. Age, old parts, rarity, and high costs keeps me away of ever owning a 993 C4S

Decided to sell both my Recaro Pole Position seats and go back to stock.

Guy is coming on Thursday to pick them up, trading me stock S2000 seats + $1000 for my seats. It's bittersweet because while I love the seats, I can't pass up such a huge profit.

ascii42 said:
You are thinking of the Geo/Chevy Prizm. The Lumina was the precursor to the Impala.

Oh ok, thanks for the correction. 'Hey look, it's a Corolla! It's just really hideous and made with lower quality materials, but it's dirt cheap!' Always thought that was odd/funny.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
BoobPhysics101 said:
Decided to sell both my Recaro Pole Position seats and go back to stock.

Guy is coming on Thursday to pick them up, trading me stock S2000 seats + $1000 for my seats. It's bittersweet because while I love the seats, I can't pass up such a huge profit.
I take it that you're going to invest in some performance mods, then.

twinturbo2 said:
I take it that you're going to invest in some performance mods, then.

I have a lot of big performance mods right now (KW V3 coilovers, 17x9.5 Enkei rims with 255mm tires, intake + header + 3" high flow cat + 3" HKS exhaust, CF hardtop, miscellanous stuff) but yeah, I was playing around with the possibility of putting on a supercharger kit and going for about 350whp. My car weighs about 2650~ lbs, so it'd be pretty intense.

I'm also playing around with the idea of investing in more of a daily driver performance car.

Anyone have some ideas? My hypothetical list right now looks like this:

2004-2007 3G Acura TL 6-speed
2004-2007 Subaru WRX/STi
Evo 8/9
BMW 135i

I want something that gets good gas mileage (I know Evo's and Subi's get pretty shitty mileage for daily driving, I get about 26-28 MPG avg right now), is reliable and not a bitch to fix (135i would need a warranty), and is comfortable with plenty of low-end torque; my AP1 S2000 REALLY likes high RPM and it can be tedious for daily driving.

Also want to avoid something that'd draw me into modding hardcore (I'd push up the boost on anything turbo, but that's pretty cheap to do) while being pretty capable in stock form.

I must be forgetting quite a few cars that are potential candidates...

BoobPhysics101 said:
I called it.

And I'd buy it. C7 Corvette = more beastly S2000? SOLD

If the body styling resembles the Stingray Concept, I can finally forgive my parents for selling my dad's Stingray instead of giving it to me.

Enron

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
I have a lot of big performance mods right now (KW V3 coilovers, 17x9.5 Enkei rims with 255mm tires, intake + header + 3" high flow cat + 3" HKS exhaust, CF hardtop, miscellanous stuff) but yeah, I was playing around with the possibility of putting on a supercharger kit and going for about 350whp. My car weighs about 2650~ lbs, so it'd be pretty intense.

I'm also playing around with the idea of investing in more of a daily driver performance car.

Anyone have some ideas? My hypothetical list right now looks like this:

2004-2007 3G Acura TL 6-speed
2004-2007 Subaru WRX/STi
Evo 8/9
BMW 135i

I want something that gets good gas mileage (I know Evo's and Subi's get pretty shitty mileage for daily driving, I get about 26-28 MPG avg right now), is reliable and not a bitch to fix (135i would need a warranty), and is comfortable with plenty of low-end torque; my AP1 S2000 REALLY likes high RPM and it can be tedious for daily driving.

Also want to avoid something that'd draw me into modding hardcore (I'd push up the boost on anything turbo, but that's pretty cheap to do) while being pretty capable in stock form.

I must be forgetting quite a few cars that are potential candidates...

G35/37

My criteria was pretty much just like yours and I very nearly bought a 3G TL. Glad I didn't.
It sucks on gas, but pretty much none of the sport sedans gets great mileage anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom